PDA

View Full Version : Putting us into perspective

Neil
14-Apr-2009, 01:24 PM
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2706/spaceb.jpg

DawnGirl27
14-Apr-2009, 04:08 PM
Wow - that's amazing! I've never really seen something so comprehensive like this before. Thanks for sharing!

Neil
14-Apr-2009, 05:47 PM
My p**** seems particularly small now :(

krakenslayer
14-Apr-2009, 07:15 PM
My p**** seems particularly small now :(

But Uranus is fucking massive! :lol::lol:

Sorry, had to, :D

MinionZombie
14-Apr-2009, 08:58 PM
But Uranus is fucking massive! :lol::lol:

Sorry, had to, :D
:lol:

Neil, Kraken - both of you - classics. :D

Also - that picture is effin' EPIC. I mean seriously mind blowing ... put that in your creationist pipe and smoke it. :p

Anyway, it does speak to what I often say about life, the universe and everything - it's so preposterously impossible to understand that it's literally unexplainable and that the common theme of religions is far too simple a way to explain it - that's my view anyway.

I've saved that picture, must show it to my folks - it's just so crazy-crazy mind blowing - that bit about the galaxy that's 8 times the size of the Milky Way being something that 'shouldn't technically exist' (because of current theories) is just epic on it's own, nevermind all that.

It would be awesome if, when you die, you get to find out about all this shit ... ... that doesn't happen most probably, but in some 'end of a movie' type way, that'd be awesome. :)

MaximusIncredulous
14-Apr-2009, 10:12 PM
All I can say is... wow.

clanglee
15-Apr-2009, 03:32 AM
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely,
mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the
road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

also I love this little quote

in an infinite universe the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.

Mike70
15-Apr-2009, 05:13 AM
that is an awesome pic and the perspective that it offers is kinda eerie when you think about.

hell, in our own solar system the sun contains 99.8% of the matter and jupiter is most of the rest.

to put VV Cephei in context: it is 2.4 BILLION km across and about 500,000 times as luminous as the sun. if placed in our solar system it would extend out almost to the orbit of saturn.:stunned:

"there are more things in heaven and earth, horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy..."