PDA

View Full Version : Favorite fictional serial killer poll

Trancelikestate
23-Apr-2009, 11:45 PM
ok so I was thinking today, who is the most popular fictional serial killer? mines jason of course. just vote u guys, and we'll get to see who is the most popular afterall. ;)

strayrider
23-Apr-2009, 11:51 PM
You left out Hannibal Lecter.

:D

-stray-

ProfessorChaos
23-Apr-2009, 11:51 PM
from the list, i'd have to chose michael myers, but if i could submit my own, it'd have to be patrick bateman.

RustyHicks
24-Apr-2009, 12:00 AM
My mother-in-law wasn't on the list so I choose Micheal...
Actually he is the creepiest of them all, the first of his kind, Jason and Freddy came
afterwards and for some reason after watching Robert Englund play a friendly alien in
V the final battle and the TV series, I have never been able to take Freddy seriously.

SRP76
24-Apr-2009, 12:14 AM
Gotta go with Mikey. Unlike characters like Jason and Freddy, Myers is in the realm of realism. All he was (originally) was an escaped mental patient. Those do exist. Guys returning from the grave to hack up campers, or dead people taking over teenagers' dreams do not.

MaximusIncredulous
24-Apr-2009, 02:01 AM
MM's way of moving and breathing in the original Halloween still makes him a pretty creepy killer to me. They never got it right after the first one.

capncnut
24-Apr-2009, 04:05 AM
Jason Voorhees = 1 good film (1), 2 par (4 and 6) and 8 crap sequels (if you include Freddy Vs Jason).
Freddy Krueger = 1 good film (1), 2 par (3 and New Nightmare) and 5 crap sequels (if you include Freddy Vs Jason).
Michael Myers = 1 good film (1), 3 par (2 ,3 and H20) and 4 crap sequels.
Leatherface = 1 good film (1), 1 par (2) and 2 crap sequels.

Myers wins! :D

MoonSylver
24-Apr-2009, 04:58 AM
Very tough. Love 'em all. Back in the day I was a HUGE Freddy Kruger fan. In recent years I've warmed more to Jason. There's a brutal simplicity there somehow. Always dug MM as the most "mysterious" of the lot (has the best protagonist as well. Dr. Loomis rocks those movies out large.) Leatherface is awesome as well. (Still have a Leatherface mask about somewhere. And a Freddy glove. And a hockey mask...)

Voted Jason just 'cause he's my current favorite. On any given day it could be Freddy or Michael instead though.

MinionZombie
24-Apr-2009, 10:50 AM
Jason - no question.

Leatherface - 1 & 2 are awesome, 3 is decent-but-flawed, and 4 is retarded ... the remake is decent, and the remake-prequel is pointless.

Freddy - I don't enjoy the jokester angle much, it's like the cheesiest James Bond ever got mixed with serial murder ... plus he's a child-raping-kiddy-killer ... gee, that got forgotten about pretty quickly ... and it's odd how he's a child killer in conversation, or in the Freddy VS Jason flashback, but the movies themselves feature 'all grown up' teenagers (played by full-on adults of course), so while it should be that way, it's also really weird.

1 and 3 were awesome, 2 was daft, 4,5,6 were total gash that I've only suffered through once, and 7 was interesting, but nothing special, and I've only seen that once too.

Michael Myers - 1 was awesome, 2 was rather good, 3 didn't feature him at all (so it doesn't really count, but was surprisingly good as a movie), 4,5,6 were lame - the masks were rubbish, The Shape wasn't scary anymore, the films sucked ... 7 was better, but felt too "Scream-ish", and 8 is commonly "forgotten" by the franchise fans because it was so franchise-rapingly bad ... ... RZ's Halloween was good, despite having the odd flaw, and importantly it made Myers fucking scary again - roll on RZ's H2.

Jason Voorhees - wasn't in 1, but 1 was kick ass ... 2 was awesome, 3 was flawed but all the Jason stuff rocks, 4 was fucking great, 5 didn't feature the real Jason but it has some moments while being generally naff ... there's two WELL FIT ladies in it though ... 6 was awesome, 7 had the best 'zombie' Jason EVER, 8 was far better the 2nd time round for me and despite the ludicrous elements in the ending (Jason's kid voice, vomming-up water for no good reason, being turned into his child-self by nuclear waste) it's a really enjoyable Jason flick (Jason is awesome through, especially in Manhattan - him hoofing that ghetto blaster is pure class, for instance, as is Jason-on-the-subway etc) ... 9 was fucking horrible though whenever Kane Hodder isn't on screen, 10 isn't as fun as I remember but you can at least admire what they tried to do, Freddy VS Jason was turd, and Friday 13th 2009 was disappointing in general and felt too much like TCM2003 ... ... although Derek Mears rocked the shit out of Jason I thought.

Which is an interesting thing, the dudes who play Jason have pretty much all done a kick ass job - although Gilette is a scheister now that I've discovered he played Jason in about 2 or 3 scenes, and Steve Daskowitz played him the rest of #2 ... ... Brooker rocked in 3, White rocked in 4, Morga didn't get much to "do" as Jason (pretty much stand in sight of mirrors etc), Graham was a lot of fun to watch in 6, Kane Hodder kicked every single ass in 7 and 8, then whenever Hodder was on-screen in 9 the film went from "bullshit" to "woo!", and again in 10 Hodder made for a lot of fun when watching the movie ... ... then Kirzinger (who got thrown against a mirror in the diner in #8) did a decent job, but because of the material didn't get to really rock the mike ... ... then Derek Mears did a spiffing job in the remake I thought.

Oh and Lehman, while only briefly seen as Jason, certainly made for a kick ass ending to the first movie.

Having watched "His Name Was Jason" a couple of times now (and having barged all the movies again - well, still got 1 and 9 to do technically), all the dudes seem like really nice guys and you can respect them all (well, Gilette went right down in my estimations after hearing Steve Dash's side of things), and they were all entertaining to listen to in the doc - especially Hodder and Mears, who you can tell really love the character.

*gasps*

Sufficient enough answer? :D

3pidemiC
24-Apr-2009, 01:15 PM
Myers for sure.

AcesandEights
24-Apr-2009, 01:50 PM
And not a single one with good hair. Tough choice.

Skippy911sc
24-Apr-2009, 02:05 PM
They are all special in their own way.

But the question was popular and I think to the everyday person the name Jason Voorhees or Michael Myers won't sound the bell of knowledge. I went with Krueger simply because I think he is the most popular, name wise, for everyone. Leatherface maybe would also garnish recognition but if you use the characters real name ????.

RustyHicks
24-Apr-2009, 04:09 PM
And not a single one with good hair. Tough choice.

That made me laugh:D:lol: Thanks for that...

Mike is winning so far, but Jason would be in a close second because I do enjoy some of the earlier ones, and I do enjoy a Nightmare on Elm street flick once in awhile, but Freddy just isn't as scary as Michael...

DawnGirl27
24-Apr-2009, 07:18 PM
I picked Jason. I remember how the first movie scared the crap out of me when I was younger (grew up on a farm - lots of woods), and I'll always have a special place in my uh - heart - for him as a killer...

Nice summation, by the way, MZ! I too, liked Manhattan, but don't find a lot of others who did. :(

Trancelikestate
24-Apr-2009, 07:54 PM
wow, no votes for leatherface so far haha. poor texan. someone give him some love! i thought the first 2 TCM's rocked. not a fan of the re-make though.

darth los
24-Apr-2009, 08:23 PM
wow, no votes for leatherface so far haha. poor texan. someone give him some love! i thought the first 2 TCM's rocked. not a fan of the re-make though.

Voted Freddy. Just the fact of being utterly terrified to sleep is crazy.

@ TLS. Bush used up all the love that Texas is due for a long while my friend.

:cool:

DjfunkmasterG
24-Apr-2009, 09:21 PM
Michael Meyers for me.... Jason comes in a Distant second. Freddy became a punchline from part 2-7, and Leatherface... Well, chainsaws are already scary... However, someone wearing a Shatner mask weilding a butchers knife is even more terrifying.

krakenslayer
24-Apr-2009, 09:40 PM
You know, it's funny - as much as I love horror, I really don't like "serial killer" movies (I use the term loosely as Jason et al bear almost no resemblance to the real thing). I liked the first Nightmare on Elm Street, but although the Freddy character did later develop into a horror archetype along similar lines to Michael and Jason, the original movie is actually a supernatural thriller and in my eyes it's no more a slasher flick than, say, Phantasm.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Apr-2009, 09:52 PM
You make a good point Krayken... The only true Slasher film icon is probably Norman Bates from Psycho, but in terms of Mainstream popularity, MM wins my vote hands down.

I never really thought of Freddy as a Slasher, Jason is closer to the term than Freddy.

Dachan-da
29-Apr-2009, 10:24 AM
I went with Freddy. He used to creep me out bad when I was a kid. Had nightmares of him chasing me around a house made out of razor blades *shudders* . Still didn’t stop me watching the films though!!!!!! :p
I love the whole concept of Freddy, the fact that he gets you in your dreams, the sordid history of the killer him self, the fact that all the towns folk killed him!!!
Did anybody see the last Freddy film (not the cross over film), it had this strange 3d bit at the end, totally messed up

MinionZombie
29-Apr-2009, 12:28 PM
3D bit? I think that was Freddy 6 "Freddy's Dead" - but there was still Wes Craven's New Nightmare after that, which was an interesting entry to the series.

I'm going to re-watch Nightmare 4 through 7, and have done most of 4 so far - oh dear, it's bad, I have to say ... it's "teh suxorz".

I also re-watched Jason Goes To Hell, for the first time since I first saw it years-and-years-and-years ago ... and it blows goats so hard ... it really sucks, it's badly written, it makes no sense, Jason is only on screen for 10 minutes, the characters all suck and the only upside is the KNB fx work and the brief moments that we get some Jason action - REAL Jason, none of that bullshit body-swapping crap.

Oh, and the cameo from Kane Hodder was cool - in fact, Jason should have body-swapped into Kane Hodder's character - that would have at least been interesting to watch, not the pish that followed.

Anyway, I'm quite surprising Freddy is getting more love than Jason on this poll ... I can't understand it personally...I think Freddy is mostly rubbish. 1 & 3 - yes, otherwise, no.

Jason is just awesome - but I've already ranted and raved about why already, so I'll move along. :D

bassman
29-Apr-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm not a big fan of any of these series' really. First I was going to go with Myers because I like the remake, but decided to go with one of the originals. So Leatherface.

All the others are like Disney films compared to the raw power of TCSM.

Dachan-da
29-Apr-2009, 12:48 PM
TCSM is cool. I didn’t like the re-make very much, found it a bit generic.
But I did love the original, I can never get that scène out my head were leather face is spinning around with the chainsaw. Love it when murderers loose the plot!

BillTheButcher
07-May-2011, 11:41 AM
I voted Leatherface. Can't take Freddy seriously, and the "indestructible unkillable" killers never ever worked for me. Leatherface is a human being, and that's what attracts me to him.