PDA

View Full Version : Timothy Olyphant insults Romero

thxleo
25-Apr-2009, 01:08 PM
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/04/15/mtv-news-visits-the-set-of-george-romeros-the-crazies-remake/

“I saw what looks like a trailer for ‘The Crazies’ online,” Olyphant tells me with a laugh, “and if that’s any indication of what the movie is, I really don’t need to see the rest of it.”

What a douche.

DjfunkmasterG
25-Apr-2009, 01:16 PM
Oh, how nice of Olaphantastic to chime on Romero's original film like he did. I guess Kevin Smith was right the guy is an ass sometimes.

I like The Crazies, many of my filmmaker friends consider it a precursor to DAWN, while I feel Outbreak was really an unauthorized remake of sorts. However, after Olaphantastics (Tim Olyphants) comments I think I will pass on The Crazies remake.

AcesandEights
25-Apr-2009, 03:55 PM
Man, what a misstep on this guy's part. Be a little savvy during your interviews, eh? It's shame, because I actually like some of Olyphant's stuff, but a lot of the stuff that I've seen him do that I like is predicated on him being a dick, so maybe it all fits together. Maybe he's a natural dick.

Olaphantastics (Tim Olyphants)

Really? Why not Olyphantitis? As in huge swelling of one's ego for no apparent, or good, reason?

capncnut
25-Apr-2009, 05:45 PM
Who the f**k is Timothy Olyphant anyway?

And his surname sounds wanky.

DjfunkmasterG
25-Apr-2009, 06:38 PM
Man, what a misstep on this guy's part. Be a little savvy during your interviews, eh? It's shame, because I actually like some of Olyphant's stuff, but a lot of the stuff that I've seen him do that I like is predicated on him being a dick, so maybe it all fits together. Maybe he's a natural dick.

Really? Why not Olyphantitis? As in huge swelling of one's ego for no apparent, or good, reason?

Tis what Kevin Smith Called him. Just because of that Ego.

Who the f**k is Timothy Olyphant anyway?

And his surname sounds wanky.

he played in Deadwood, he played Thomas Gabriel in Die Hard 4, He has also played in Hitman, Rockstar, Catch and Release... his resume is pretty littered with crap films.

clanglee
25-Apr-2009, 07:10 PM
he played in Deadwood, he played Thomas Gabriel in Die Hard 4, He has also played in Hitman, Rockstar, Catch and Release... his resume is pretty littered with crap films.

Don't forget Go and Transformers.

I think Transformers is the only movie he wasn't a dick in.

bassman
25-Apr-2009, 07:15 PM
Don't forget Go and Transformers.

I think Transformers is the only movie he wasn't a dick in.

:rockbrow:

I'm pretty sure he wasn't in Transformers.....

As for this being an insult to Romero - I don't think so. He thought the film didn't look too good judging by the trailer. He's entitled to his opinion. I've had people tell me Dawn sucks. Doesn't mean it's an attack against Romero. It is however a bit strange that he's saying this while he's the lead in the remake, but still...

His opinion. No biggie.

As for his films: I loved him in Go and Girl Next Door. He was okay in Die Hard. Don't know many others...

clanglee
25-Apr-2009, 07:38 PM
You are right. Got him mixed up with Josh Duhamel.

So then. . . I guess he IS a dick in everything.

Mike70
26-Apr-2009, 01:49 AM
As for this being an insult to Romero - I don't think so. He thought the film didn't look too good judging by the trailer. He's entitled to his opinion. I've had people tell me Dawn sucks. Doesn't mean it's an attack against Romero. It is however a bit strange that he's saying this while he's the lead in the remake, but still...

His opinion. No biggie.

right on. his opinion, leave it at that. if he wants to base his opinion on a trailer, fine. and to play the devils advocate there are a lot of people out there who think "the crazies" is a shit movie. i'm not one of them. there are no experts when it comes to what is a "good film", there are only opinions.

MinionZombie
26-Apr-2009, 10:13 AM
Regardless of "opinion", it's a dickish move to dismiss someone's work - that you're busy REMAKING AMIDST A DISTINCT LACK OF CREATIVITY IN THE GENRE - from seeing a bit of the trailer, plus knowing full well that you're going to be speaking directly to horror fans - which includes people who know and love the original movie.

The Crazies is flawed, but it's hardly surprising when it was made for about 50p, in which case it's quite impressive for such a teeny budget.

Aye - I too have heard the "Olyphantastic" jokes from Smith - funny stuff, and a shame really, the dude sounds like he's got a raging boner for himself, which is just such a dickish way to lead your life.

And it is a shame because I too liked his acting roles in Go, Girl Next Door, and Catch & Release ... he was a bit toothless in Die Hard 4 though - no Die Hard 1 or 3, that's for sure. Geez, the naked hotel room karate guy was meaner than Olyphantastic. :p

So I'm somewhere in-between, but it's a silly move made by someone who clearly has:

1) A huge ego
2) Little tact
3) A piss-poor way with words

axlish
26-Apr-2009, 11:13 PM
To be fair, The Crazies isn't exactly cinematic gold.

DjfunkmasterG
27-Apr-2009, 12:29 AM
To be fair, The Crazies isn't exactly cinematic gold.

True, but don't shit on projects you in the mist of Remaking.

thxleo
27-Apr-2009, 03:20 AM
True, but don't shit on projects you in the mist of Remaking.

Exactly. I don't know how anyone can read his quote and not take it as a slap. He comes off as another typical snobbish Hollywood jerkoff.

SymphonicX
27-Apr-2009, 09:59 AM
hmm, The Crazies is just 90 mins of people shouting at each other....still I bet it'll wipe seven shades of shit off the remake...

krakenslayer
27-Apr-2009, 04:48 PM
I think Romero did a great job with The Crazies, it's a pretty ambitious movie considering he had zero budget. It's not my favourite, but still.

Mike70
28-Apr-2009, 02:35 AM
Exactly. I don't know how anyone can read his quote and not take it as a slap. He comes off as another typical snobbish Hollywood jerkoff.

yes dude, it is a slap in the face but its tim fucking olyphant. fuck that guy. we shouldn't pay any attention to him. he is clearly a guy with a WAY over inflated ego and, as you say, is a hollywood jerkoff. we ought to wear the dislike of shitheads like him as a badge of honor.

PJoseph
28-Apr-2009, 05:34 PM
Another thing that bothers me in the article is drawing a line between low-budget and "campy". The article claims that due to better effects and budgets, that this won't be like the campy original.

Uh, say what you will about Romero's original film, but it's not campy. None of Romero's films are campy - I find that comment to be a slap in the face of the work he did which paved the way for the gritty realism of horror films to come.

Anyone working on the the new version of The Crazies should be celebrating the original - especially because it proves that good ideas never die.

I'm not saying they can't make a great remake - they can. But don't dismiss the original film because that's just disrespectful to everyone who worked on it.

pJ

bassman
28-Apr-2009, 05:41 PM
I don't see why everyone is making this into a big deal. Olyphant doesn't know anything and doesn't like the film that he's remaking. Snyder already did this.:p

I couldn't help it.:D

AcesandEights
28-Apr-2009, 05:43 PM
Anyone working on the the new version of The Crazies should be celebrating the original - especially because it proves that good ideas never die.

I like this line of thinking quite a bit. If you're going to a remake/re-imagining/re-boot at least get it into your head how much you owe to the source material and people who did the original work and are providing a point of reference for your project with the viewing public.

I think that's just the tactful and common sense way to go about it.

MinionZombie
28-Apr-2009, 05:46 PM
Another thing that bothers me in the article is drawing a line between low-budget and "campy". The article claims that due to better effects and budgets, that this won't be like the campy original.

Uh, say what you will about Romero's original film, but it's not campy. None of Romero's films are campy - I find that comment to be a slap in the face of the work he did which paved the way for the gritty realism of horror films to come.

I'm not saying they can't make a great remake - they can. But don't dismiss the original film because that's just disrespectful to everyone who worked on it.

pJ
Can't say it any better - well said, Sir. :cool:

darth los
28-Apr-2009, 06:51 PM

pJ

I'll add to ypur point.

Let's just say for argument's sake that the original did suck and was campy. What does it say about the lack of original ideas or creativity in hollywood today that they have to go back and remake that film?

:cool:

MinionZombie
29-Apr-2009, 10:05 AM
I'll add to ypur point.

Let's just say for argument's sake that the original did suck and was campy. What does it say about the lack of original ideas or creativity in hollywood today that they have to go back and remake that film?

:cool:
Interesting you say that, because I've been saying for ages that Hollywood - if it must remake - should remake crap films, not good ones.

You can never do better than the original good movie, so why remake it? It's retarded.

Instead, take a shit film with potential - like Drive-In Massacre - and remake it. I bet you could make an awesome throw-back, drive-in era memory-lane slasher with that.

This all said, this doesn't mean I think The Crazies is shit, far from it, it's flawed and suffers from it's low budget - but on the other hand, they do a hell of a lot with their tiny budget, and the sight of chem-suited, gas-masked, gun-toting CDC sorts swarming a small town and ousting people from their homes is powerful stuff.

Wooley
01-May-2009, 05:26 AM
If anyone has checked out the discussions on the IMDB page, they've had a few people who were extras talk about it. It sounds like they've put some money into the military scenes at least, with helicopters, Humvees with .50 cals, and some attention to detail with the uniforms and weapons, with an extra reporting the troops wear the patch of the 34th Infantry Division, or the Red Bulls, with is the MN/IA Nat'l Guard, and the airsoft M-4s they carry are suitably tacticool-ed, with red dot sights, 3 point slings, and the other odds and ends that adorn the military's M4s.

Yojimbo
03-May-2009, 12:10 AM
Oooh, good burn, Aces!

Yeah, this dude sure knows how to ostracize what could have been and automatic, built in audience by dissing GAR. What an idiot!

pJ
Yojimbo in agreement with PJ. Well said sir!

If anyone has checked out the discussions on the IMDB page, they've had a few people who were extras talk about it. It sounds like they've put some money into the military scenes at least, with helicopters, Humvees with .50 cals, and some attention to detail with the uniforms and weapons, with an extra reporting the troops wear the patch of the 34th Infantry Division, or the Red Bulls, with is the MN/IA Nat'l Guard, and the airsoft M-4s they carry are suitably tacticool-ed, with red dot sights, 3 point slings, and the other odds and ends that adorn the military's M4s.

So the millitary in this film will appear onscreen to be better equipped than the original.

All this tells me is that they had a bigger budget than Romero. I venture to guess that this film still will not have the impact that GAR's did - however faulted the OG Crazies might have been - in spite of the bigger budget.

Wooley
07-May-2009, 06:14 AM
So the millitary in this film will appear onscreen to be better equipped than the original.

All this tells me is that they had a bigger budget than Romero. I venture to guess that this film still will not have the impact that GAR's did - however faulted the OG Crazies might have been - in spite of the bigger budget.

I'll agree since I haven't heard much about the script. Better detailed scenes don't do much without a good script. All in all, it reminds me a bit of the original Dawn and the remake.

I liked the remake's opening more, helped by a much bigger budget, which I think had a much better 'oh shit' feeling to it since we actually got to see Anna's quiet little neighborhood melt down.

The original opening, while pretty intense, allowed one to think that this was only going on in the ghettos or maybe just the cities, until the chopper flew over the boondocks with the mixed Guard/police/civilian search and destroy teams, and like Stephen says "It's everywhere."

I do know I won't be happy if they've got some happy 'cure discovered at the last moment and distributed to the townsfolk' ending, unless it's really well done. Romero's ending worked very well, small budget or big.

MinionZombie
07-May-2009, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Romero's original ending will be "too bleak" for them these days at their budget, the scientist will probably survive, or someone will at least ... some stupid shite like that.

I liked the remake's opening more

I'm surprised, I think the opening of Dawn is superb - last time I saw it (after having seen the movie like 25 times) I was suddenly more gripped than I'd ever been before, and found myself quite breathless by the end of the tenement segment.

Plus, Yawn04 simply had to go right back to the sodding beginning, while Dawn kicks off nearly a month into it - the sheer chaos in the TV studio says it all really, then we see the tenement bit kick right off and it's seriously action packed, fast-paced stuff - and the right kind of fast paced, not the shit they called the Dawn remake.

So much happens in Dawn's first 30 minutes, it's crazy.