PDA

View Full Version : Adult Swim/Monroeville Mall TV Spot homage

PJoseph
28-Apr-2009, 05:48 PM
So, some of you may have already seen the Adult Swim ad that cribs the old animated Monroeville Mall TV spot (which showed up way back when on the DOTD LD set).

I don't know how long they've been using it, but sadly I could not find it on Youtube - hopefully someone will upload it for those who have not seen it. I just saw it last night during Family Guy reruns.

The ad is SPOT on. From the illustration, animation, music, audio work, film look - it's really well done. It takes the Adult Swim characters and replaces the shopping icons - and takes the overall theme of "Big Time Shopping" into "Big Time Entertainment".

Now, as I got all drooly over how cool this was, my wife had to ask me what was wrong with me. I told her it was a LONG way to go to explain how it was all connected, but she could tell I was dying to get into it.

And then I realized how crazy freaking meta the whole thing was -

"Well, honey, see it's a homage/remake of a real TV commercial that was for the Moneroeville mall - which is where Dawn Of The Dead was shot - so, this Adult Swim ad is a nod to zombie fans through this old 70's ad for shopping"

It was like, seventeen layers of Romero geek.

Proud to be a part of it!

pJ

MinionZombie
28-Apr-2009, 05:54 PM
This sounds super cool, and I wanna see it - if someone finds it on YouTube or whatever, please pimp us Brits some linkage! :)

Yojimbo
28-Apr-2009, 06:45 PM
Yeah, PJ, my wife and I nearly flipped when we saw this!

AcesandEights
29-Apr-2009, 01:12 PM
That's ridiculously awesome! Now I've gotta try and see this before they retire the commercial.

PJoseph
29-Apr-2009, 02:50 PM
I emailed a query to the Adult Swim website asking if the promo lived anywhere we could link to it.

Hopefully someone will get back to me.

pJ

AcesandEights
29-Apr-2009, 03:30 PM
Nice, proactive move, PJoseph! Good thinking :)

Hopefully there'll be a response in the affirmative with a link!

Yojimbo
29-Apr-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks PJ for contacting AdultSwim. I sure hope that they get back to you so that you can share their response with all of us - I would really dig having a link to that so I can enjoy it at will.

Thanks again!

PJoseph
03-May-2009, 02:57 PM
Emailed them again! There is actually a board thread over at Adult Swim. com - but no link - just people talking about how cool it is.

And now on the YouTube page with the original spot, people are wondering if they can find it.

Hoping they get back to me at some point!

pJ

PJoseph
05-May-2009, 08:19 PM
I am DETERMINED to get a copy of this spot.

I've gone and pulled a favor from an exec at Cartoon Network - he's going to check into it.

Why am I such a geek?

pJ

AcesandEights
06-May-2009, 02:47 AM
PJoseph. You get a tip of the cap from me for your persistence, man. Good luck!

MinionZombie
06-May-2009, 10:10 AM
PJoseph. You get a tip of the cap from me for your persistence, man. Good luck!
Darn tootin'.

I really wanna see this advert now.

jscott
17-Jun-2009, 03:36 AM
I just saw this ad run right after the first episode of Family Guy, prior to the beginning of the second episode. I believe they'll rerun the same commercials when they reair these episodes later, so it should be on again between 3:24-3:28AM EST.

PJoseph
21-Jun-2009, 05:58 AM
Hey guys - someone contacted me to let me know the Adult Swim spot was finally posted on Youtube - just a few hours ago.

HERE IT iS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXKCq4Od274

Hope it lives up to the hype. I think it looks great. Whomever made it really nailed the look and feel.

pJ

MinionZombie
21-Jun-2009, 10:48 AM
Kick ass, glad I finally got to see it. :)

Aye, it's spot-on, isn't it? :cool:

axlish
21-Jun-2009, 02:05 PM
Neat! I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever see it. I bet about a dozen people got the reference.

AcesandEights
22-Jun-2009, 03:41 PM
HERE IT iS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXKCq4Od274

Hope it lives up to the hype. I think it looks great. Whomever made it really nailed the look and feel.

pJ

You're the man, PJoseph! I'll give it a look at home this evening. Big props to you for all the follow up and hunting :thumbsup: