PDA

View Full Version : Pulp Fiction Continuity Error

darth los
29-Apr-2009, 08:35 PM
I noticed this the other night and it really bothered me so I wanted to run it by you guys to make sure I wasn't overlooking something or going crazy. I don't know if it's an error exactly but something's definitely off. Here goes:

The movie is about a few things, one of them being Vincent and Jules retrieving a case with an unspecified "bounty" for Marsalus Wallace.

Now we know that the events of the film are chronologically jumbled but one can tell with a good amount of certainty when things happen in the timeline due to the clothes Vincent and Jules have on and when the "bounty" is in their possession.

This is what I don't get though:

We know due to the "Bonnie situation" that they had to change clothes. However, they DO have the case in their posession at this point. At the end of the film Jules gives the case to a couple of would be bandits who intended on robbing the diner they were in. So it's established, they don't have the case anymore.

Now, earlier in the film they show the duo of Vincent and Jules go see Mr. Wallace with the case in their possesion, so they had to go see him BEFORE the incident at the diner. My question is: Why didn't they give Mr. Wallace the case when they went to see him? Error?

I mean that was specifically their mission, to go and retrieve that case and send a message that Mr. Wallace is not to be toyed with. They obviously felt that the matter was urgent enough not to change into more appropriate/comfortable attire and get that right over to Mr. Wallace. So why did they take it with them to the diner?

So either way what happened doesn't make sense. Either they gave the case to the bandits, then he got an earful from Vincent about how pissed Mr. Wallace was going to be and got it back OR they went to go see Mr. Wallace and consciously did not give him the case.

Wadda you guys think?

:cool:

Yojimbo
29-Apr-2009, 08:43 PM
Dude, I don't think there is a continuity error here at all.

If I remember correctly in the coffee shop sequence which bookends the movie, Jules gives the bandits his BMF wallet and allows Ringo and Honey-Bunny to leave the shop unharmed with their bagbooty, but first demands at gunpoint that Ringo return the case to him because he could not allow the case to be stolen (since it was not his). I assume that then Vincent and Jules leaves the coffee shop and made their way to see Wallace at his club/bar, where they turn over the case.

It's been a while since I saw this movie, so I'd have to check this again to verify, but I am close to completely positive that Jules made Ringo return the case in exchange for not shooting him and letting him and his cohort leave with the cash unharmed. Maybe someone can verify this for me.

darth los
29-Apr-2009, 08:48 PM
Dude, I don't think there is a continuity error here at all.

If I remember correctly in the coffee shop sequence which bookends the movie, Jules gives the bandits his BMF wallet and allows Ringo and Honey-Bunny to leave the shop unharmed with their bagbooty, but first demands at gunpoint that Ringo return the case to him because he could not allow the case to be stolen (since it was not his). I assume that then Vincent and Jules leaves the coffee shop and made their way to see Wallace at his club/bar, where they turn over the case.

It's been a while since I saw this movie, so I'd have to check this again to verify, but I am close to completely positive that Jules made Ringo return the case in exchange for not shooting him and letting him and his cohort leave with the cash unharmed. Maybe someone can verify this for me.

No my friend that's not it at all. Give the movie a watch. He GIVES the case to the dude. I recall it vividly, I just saw the film again last week. It was definitely a Wtf Moment for me. Thus this thread. :D

You don't even have to watch the entire film. Merely viewing the final scene will suffice.

Craig
29-Apr-2009, 09:50 PM
fMRi-gFeK-M

Looks like you might be seeing things (or not) darth... Tim Roth's character definitely gets a look at what's inside, as well as getting to walk away with his life and a wad of cash from Jule's wallet, but Vincent and Jules leave with the case in their possession

Must give this film another watch sometime soon.

EDIT: I was about to bring up the whole 'who shot Nice Guy Eddie?' thing from Reservoir Dogs but after also watching the final scene of that film on YT I see that Mr. White shoots twice.

Yojimbo
29-Apr-2009, 10:12 PM
fMRi-gFeK-M

Looks like you might be seeing things (or not) darth... Tim Roth's character definitely gets a look at what's inside, as well as getting to walk away with his life and a wad of cash from Jule's wallet, but Vincent and Jules leave with the case in their possession

Must give this film another watch sometime soon.

EDIT: I was about to bring up the whole 'who shot Nice Guy Eddie?' thing from Reservoir Dogs but after also watching the final scene of that film on YT I see that Mr. White shoots twice.

Thanks Craig, I thought I was getting forgetful in my old age. :)

Honestly, though, the non-linear narrative of that film makes it easy for folks to miss details like this, so I can understand how Darth might have missed the handover of the case.

After viewing the clip, I too much give this film a rewatch. In spite of how I find Tarantino detestable (really, I can hardly stand listening to this twerp speak) that film was very entertaining (and filmed around my neighborhood too) and I recall that it was some solid filmmaking. Which shows that you don't have to personally like an artist to appreciate his work.

PJoseph
29-Apr-2009, 10:16 PM
They have the case as they leave the diner.

pJ

Craig
29-Apr-2009, 10:30 PM
After viewing the clip, I too much give this film a rewatch. In spite of how I find Tarantino detestable (really, I can hardly stand listening to this twerp speak) that film was very entertaining (and filmed around my neighborhood too) and I recall that it was some solid filmmaking. Which shows that you don't have to personally like an artist to appreciate his work.
I can sort of relate, both Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are solid and interesting films, however now I've seen these well known 'classics' I can't say I have much interest at all in anything else Tarantino has made or is yet to make.

DjfunkmasterG
29-Apr-2009, 10:32 PM
Great film great ending and I love SLJ's performance int hat scene.

clanglee
29-Apr-2009, 10:47 PM
Yeah, sorry Darth but I thought that was pretty obvious. Give it another watch.

I do agree, however, that it was slightly odd that they decided to stop for breakfast before dropping off the case to Mr. Wallace tho. Were they waiting on a ride or something?

bassman
30-Apr-2009, 11:51 AM
Jules definitely doesn't give him the briefcase. He let's "Ringo" look in it, but he doesn't let him have it.

Anyone know what's in the briefcase?:sneaky:

DjfunkmasterG
30-Apr-2009, 12:35 PM
Jules definitely doesn't give him the briefcase. He let's "Ringo" look in it, but he doesn't let him have it.

Quentins used condom after banging UMA

capncnut
30-Apr-2009, 01:50 PM
Yes, an orange lightbulb. :D

But I found the whole 666 combination rather interesting though. It is definitely designed to make the viewer think that there's something otherworldly in there.

bassman
30-Apr-2009, 02:01 PM
Yes, an orange lightbulb. :D

But I found the whole 666 combination rather interesting though. It is definitely designed to make the viewer think that there's something otherworldly in there.

According to Tarantino and Avery, their original idea was to just have diamonds in the case. When they thought that was too cliched, they decided to never show what was inside. The light bulb was a last minute decision and wasn't intended to be supernatural.

Some fans think the case carries Marcellus Wallace's soul which was sucked out of the back of his head. You can see a band aid on it in the film. I think this is stupid....

And then some people thing it's Elvis' coat from True Romance. I really like this theory.:D

capncnut
30-Apr-2009, 02:07 PM
And then some people thing it's Elvis' coat from True Romance. I really like this theory.:D
I'll buy that 'cos I seriously dig True Romance. It sort of fits with the 'pulpy' theme also.

darth los
30-Apr-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the clarification peeps!! :D

I'm actually glad there's no continuity error. It's one of my favorite films of all time and I'd hate to think of it as second rate or just lazy film making/editing.

Atleast it gives us an excuse to discuss a good film for once instead of crap remakes.

As for what's in the case I'm not exactly sure but the guy Brad who apparently had some sort of arrangement with Mr. Wallace didn't look like a hardened criminal nor did any of his associates. If anything they could be into some white collar stuff. Whatever it was it was really valuable and instantly recognizeable as everyone who gazed into the case seemed mezmerised by it.

With that said there was a dude hiding in the bathroom with a freakin' Handcannon!! :stunned: So It's safe to assume they were prepared for any "complications".

Kaos
30-Apr-2009, 03:36 PM
You didn't hear? Zach Snyder is remaking Pulp Fiction. :sneaky:

capncnut
30-Apr-2009, 03:42 PM
You didn't hear? Zach Snyder is remaking Pulp Fiction. :sneaky:
Soundtrack by Disturbed and Ving Rhames plays Wallace again...

bassman
30-Apr-2009, 04:07 PM
Soundtrack by Disturbed and Ving Rhames plays Wallace again...

And all the men wear nothing but speedos. In slow motion....