PDA

View Full Version : I went on a "ghost hunting" adventure

Debbieangel
01-May-2009, 02:47 AM
Here is what we saw:

Alot of 'orbs' and near the tree it looks like an apparition. We didn't see anything with our eyes alone but this showed up on my digital camera.
Also, we kept hearing sounds like footsteps, no breeze, wind, nothing. There were footsteps all around us. I was there to debunk not find anything.
This is a mass burial site from 1918-1919, it was the massive pandemic influenza outbreak.
At first when I passed the sign that told about the area I started smelling funeral flowers and I thought "ok, my imagination is working overtime." Then when we went back where they had a small memorial to commerate the loss of life that is when the footsteps happened.
I like all those paranormal shows but I have always taken them with a grain of salt.
This night was plain CREEPY!!!!
Here is one of the pictures that we took, I thought you all might find it interesting. Please study it and tell me what you think?

tkane18
01-May-2009, 04:06 AM
The "orbs" are most likely dust particles near the lens when the flash goes off.

I have had several dusk / night shots with so called orbs.

It would be more interesting if there were orbs without the flash being used.

Debbieangel
01-May-2009, 04:15 AM
How could there be dust when there wasn't any air blowing around that night? It was still as still could be and in all the pics we took within the same few minutes even seconds don't have "orbs" in them, it would be the same in every pic. Some don't have any at all. Oh, and bugs we just went through a cold snap and it was a bit warmer that night so no bugs either.
Oh, and we didn't move around a lot so the dust would kick up. Maybe a few could be dust but I wouldn't think all of them would be dust.

MikePizzoff
01-May-2009, 12:31 PM
Actually, since you were outside and it was night time, the orbs are likely caused by moisture in the air.

AcesandEights
01-May-2009, 04:27 PM
Well, as others have said, orbs and rays are pretty much well documented as natural conditions that combine with the quirks of modern film media to produce visual effects.

Still, I know how spooky and cool such outings can be and have done similar things for the fun of it before and will probably do so again. I've even gone UFO hunting (not that I'm a Believer--with a capital 'B'--in UFOs, mind you) at a local field close to where I grew up, the Hudson Valley being renowned for its high frequency of alleged sightings.

Ghost hunting and digging up info on local myths is great, but the truth, the root cause, behind the stuff is often even more interesting.

Debbieangel
01-May-2009, 07:57 PM
Well, as others have said, orbs and rays are pretty much well documented as natural conditions that combine with the quirks of modern film media to produce visual effects.

Still, I know how spooky and cool such outings can be and have done similar things for the fun of it before and will probably do so again. I've even gone UFO hunting (not that I'm a Believer--with a capital 'B'--in UFOs, mind you) at a local field close to where I grew up, the Hudson Valley being renowned for its high frequency of alleged sightings.

Ghost hunting and digging up info on local myths is great, but the truth, the root cause, behind the stuff is often even more interesting.

Yes, I know 'orbs' are atmospheric energy. Some would say it is ghosts or spirits trying to materialize using the energy in the air.
I take all of it with a grain of salt, like I said and I was there actually to debunk and didn't expect anything at all to happen.
I also have pics that look mist like something trying to form. It was an interesting night, and dare I say scary and exciting all at the same time.
I want to go back to see if I see anything else in those woods. I HAVE to debunk what we saw on the camera.

krakenslayer
01-May-2009, 08:17 PM
Yes, I know 'orbs' are atmospheric energy. Some would say it is ghosts or spirits trying to materialize using the energy in the air.
I take all of it with a grain of salt, like I said and I was there actually to debunk and didn't expect anything at all to happen.
I also have pics that look mist like something trying to form. It was an interesting night, and dare I say scary and exciting all at the same time.
I want to go back to see if I see anything else in those woods. I HAVE to debunk what we saw on the camera.

Not atmospheric energy - just particles of ultra-light material, small insects (midges, etc.) and dust that get picked up by the camera's light. Much like "rods" and "skyfish", they've been debunked as anything more than that, time and time again.

That's not to say that I don't think there really are strange and scientifically-undocumented phenomena out there; even from a scientific point of view one has to accept that there are always thing existing outwith current knowledge. For example, calling ghosts false because you don't believe in spirits is the same as saying UFOs are fake because you don't believe in little green men - people are seeing something strange in the sky, whether or not they're really alien spacecraft, and in the same way those who see ghosts are genuinely undergoing a real experience. Even if the cause of the experience turns out to be, for example, a hitherto unknown psychological phenomenon or a little-known optical illusion, we have still discovered something new and expanded the horizons of knowledge (even if it's not the discovery we hoped it was).

Wow, that turned into a rant.

Sounds like you had a great time Debbie, it sounds like it was fascinating and a lot of fun. :)

C5NOTLD
01-May-2009, 10:58 PM
Orbs are tough to authenticate as most can be debunked or linked as possible dust/moisture/etc..

You should try EVP - take a recorder out and see if you get any voices.:cool:

Sounds like it was a fun evening!

AcesandEights
01-May-2009, 11:11 PM
You should try EVP - take a recorder out and see if you get any voices.:cool:

Ah, that'd be cool as hell to give a try. I wonder what recording equipment is best used for something like that. Apparently some recording devices can pick up trace bits of transmissions from broadcasts.

Craig
02-May-2009, 12:31 AM
I see little in that pic that suggests the supernatural. What I assume you're referring to as 'orbs' are, as a few people have said, no doubt specks of dirt, dust, moisture or insects. On a summer afternoon inside, get the light just right you can see hundreds of tiny dust particle floating around, there's probably hundreds more you don't see as well.
Obviously you enjoyed the experience but I can't say I'm a believer in much or any of this sort of thing, for the same reason I'm not a believer in religion.

capncnut
02-May-2009, 01:00 AM
Oh, shut up, Rodney. You dipstick! :D

strayrider
02-May-2009, 03:12 AM
I saw a few strange anomalies so I enlarged it and digitally enhanced it. I've highlighted what I believe to be a face (possibly the source of the "footsteps" you heard) in the lower red box. The upper red box is an enhanced enlargement which appears to be a ghostly visage.

Do you see the face in this picture?

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/picture.php?albumid=24&pictureid=263

Creepy.

:D

-stray-

AcesandEights
02-May-2009, 03:15 AM

Creepy.

Ghosts of Lenin and Marx, maybe? :p

Mike70
02-May-2009, 03:21 AM
I saw a few strange anomalies so I enlarged it and digitally enhanced it. I've highlighted what I believe to be a face (possibly the source of the "footsteps" you heard) in the lower red box. The upper red box is an enhanced enlargement which appears to be a ghostly visage.

Creepy.

-stray-

well, there goes the neighborhood. :lol:

clanglee
02-May-2009, 03:45 AM

Creepy.

-stray-

:lol::lol::lol:

That's pretty hilarious man.

. . . but seriously, do you have any other hobbies? Aside from the Obama stuff? :p

Debbieangel
02-May-2009, 04:05 AM
The "orbs" are most likely dust particles near the lens when the flash goes off.

I have had several dusk / night shots with so called orbs.

It would be more interesting if there were orbs without the flash being used.

I will try that if I get to go out there again.

AcesandEights
02-May-2009, 04:34 AM
I will try that if I get to go out there again.

Well, definitely report back. I'm getting nostalgic for some ghost hunting now, myself :)

strayrider
02-May-2009, 04:35 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

That's pretty hilarious man.

. . . but seriously, do you have any other hobbies? Aside from the Obama stuff? :p

Obama? I'm confused. Did I miss something?

:confused:

-stray-

ps --

Doctor: Clang, look at this picture. Tell me what you see.

Clang: A ghostly spirit ... and Obama!

C5NOTLD
02-May-2009, 07:16 AM
Ah, that'd be cool as hell to give a try. I wonder what recording equipment is best used for something like that. Apparently some recording devices can pick up trace bits of transmissions from broadcasts.

People use everything from old fashion tape recorders to the new small digital hand held recorders, to video cameras. They all work. Just use fresh tape stock not used.

Intercepting broadcasts doesn't happen that often and they can always be easily deciphered. The impressive EVPs are the ones that are a direct answer to questions asked.

Debbieangel should try EVP recording in that same location if she thinks she picked up some activity from her latest visit. Sounds like a good place to start. Photos are always interesting but a good EVP is downright creepy!

Crappingbear
02-May-2009, 09:16 AM
I regularly travel to the outback and old historical fields. Never saw a ghost. Not at Little Bighorn, not at the Alamo, not at Mission La Bahia in Goliad, not at anything, anywhere. Thats not to say I didnt see or feel some wierdness on occasions in certain areas. But I have never, NEVER been afraid. Nothing in spookville can be as scary as reality and if you have faith and the complex ability to channel religious/philosophical minuscia while also dispatching baddies with Glocks, then......all's well. Only been afraid in one thing in my entire life and this aint it.

Debbieangel
03-May-2009, 02:34 AM

Creepy.

-stray-

WOWWW stray obama is EVERYWHERE getting into everybody's business!! lol

ok the face in the red box yes I saw it..I didn't say anything on this thread I wanted someone else to see it. That is freaky that you enhanced it and still see a face. We were thinking maybe it was leaves or something.
When you really look at it it looks like an upper body torso wearing a hat. Is that what you saw?

To everyone telling me to get EVP's ..I plan on it...I have to find my recorder and buy a fresh tape. I heard you should use a cheap tape recorder it works better for some odd reason.
I am planning on going back soon with a posse! lol
Everybody loves a good ghost hunt I guess.lol

strayrider
03-May-2009, 05:16 AM
WOWWW stray obama is EVERYWHERE getting into everybody's business!!l

What? Again with Obama? What is wrong with you people? Do you all see Obama wherever you look?

To me the "face" looks like Don Rickles peeking out from behind the tree.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2007/11/28/2004040094.jpg

Doctor: Debbie, look at this picture.

Debbie: I see Don Rickles ... and Obama!

-stray-

ps -- EVP recordings http://www.parismo.org/~brammer/

pps--

After looking again at your picture, Deb, I noticed another thing. Between the red lines you can see what appears to a "mist" of some sort. It has defined edges, almost like a column of thin smoke. It is behind the branches of the "Don Rickles" tree in the foreground, but in front of the larger tree in the background. See it? Is this the "apparition" you mentioned?

Was anyone smoking when this picture was taken?

Whatever it is, it is between the two trees.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/picture.php?albumid=24&pictureid=265

Weird.

capncnut
04-May-2009, 04:31 AM
I think this needs to get BACK on topic, thank you.

Debbieangel
04-May-2009, 04:34 AM
Ok, if we could get back on topic....

I went out again tonight to the same place and we took pics and we had a video camera and tried to do some EVP's with it. The only thing that happened tonight besides a few footsteps was a couple of loud sounds when I was standing alone in the woods. I didn't listen to them yet but my daughter was watching it. I was talking then can't describe the sounds. But, not of the normal.
Interesting night again. Not sure if I am going back or not. As feelings go..tonight it didn't feel quite right to me. It felt 'heavy' in there tonight like a real heavy feeling. The pics we took are very clear not like last time.

C5NOTLD
05-May-2009, 12:20 AM
Keep Investigating. It can take a few times to get something more definitive.

You also might want to visit the paranormal boards over at
www.the-atlantic-paranormal-society.com/

capncnut
05-May-2009, 01:06 AM
Actually, I've seen all of Debs photos and she has probably posted the least interesting photograph of them all. She has one of a large orb, which is good because it is very similar to the kind of orbs that have been classified by experts. You should post it, Deb.

Debbieangel
06-May-2009, 01:46 AM
I think this is the photo Capn is talking about?
It has orbs in it. This is the first trip to the mass burial site. Study it if you like.

capncnut
06-May-2009, 03:40 AM
Yup, that's the one. Compare it with the orb in this photograph.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0b/FortGhost.jpg

:elol:

strayrider
06-May-2009, 11:39 PM
Darn, Deb I thought I was onto to something. I copied and pasted your new pic over the old pic and found that the "apparition" appears to be nearly identical in both pictures.

I would guess it to be a hair, or piece of lint on the camera lens.

I'm still running the 2nd picture through various filters (and combinations of filters) and the "orbs" are really jumping out, but there's nothing that indicates they are anything more than small particles of "something" (dust, moisture, pollen) lit up by your flash.

I will say that the cross-shaped grave stone adds an eerie feel to the scene.

-stray-