PDA

View Full Version : My Name Is Bruce (film)

Dachan-da
05-May-2009, 05:04 PM
My name is Bruce

Iv had a look through some of the old threads and couldn’t see a thread for this, so im sorry if iv missed it or just not looked hard enough.
Im a mega Bruce Campbell fan, from books to films, hell, I still play on the PS1 game ‘Evil Dead: Hail to the king’ just because it has his voice acting in.

When I read about this film coming out I was over the moon, I started bouncing everywere!.

Here is the plot synopsis from the IMDB

"Synopsis

My Name is Bruce is the heroic struggle of a small mining town (Gold Lick, Oregon) to rid itself of a vengeful monster. Guan-di (Jamie Peck), the Chinese god of war and protector of the dead, has been unleashed by cemetery desecrating teenagers to protect the graves of Chinese miners lost in a deadly cave-in of yesteryear.

The deadly demons mission is to eradicate all those who transgressed against the tomb (relatives included), which is virtually the entire population of Gold Lick. The inbred community has to find a solution so Jeff (Taylor Sharpe), the sole survivor of a deadly Guan-Di encounter, takes it upon himself to kidnap his idol, Bruce Campbell (Bruce Campbell), star of countless B-movie horror films, and recruit him to be their local savior.

Mortified at first, Bruce eventually goes along with Jeffs prank, convinced that its all an elaborate birthday present from his agent (Ted Raimi), and begins to enjoy the spoils of being a movie hero, including free liquor and Jeffs attractive mother, Kelly (Grace Thorsen).

But Jeffs scheme goes horribly wrong when his hero, known more for fighting directors than mythical warriors, haphazardly leads the town in battle against Guan-Di. Confronted by a monster thats not a guy in a rubber suit, and with the blood of innocents on his hands, Bruce abandons the harsh reality of Gold Lick for the sanctity of his former, artificial life.

In his ramshackle desert trailer, Bruce resumes the daily grind of genre sequels, poor housekeeping and cheap whiskey, but a gut-wrenching call from his biggest fan, Jeff - now forced to take on Guan-Di alone - prompts the actor to re-evaluate his destiny.

Against his better judgment (and the angry citizens of Gold Lick), Bruce returns to defeat Guan-Di, save Jeff, and snag his hot mother. In the climactic, mano-a-monster, Bruce tries to rise above the miserable, off-screen schmuck that he is and become a heroin real life.

Be afraid, Gold Lick be very afraid."

Has anybody else seen the film? Do ya love it or hate it?

-- ------------------EDIT/DOUBLE POST---------------------

Ok, so just found a thread in relation to this thread
click me = http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=7161&highlight=bruce+campbell
The thread it seems, is peoples view befor the film was viewd, so is there any feelings now it's out?

Danny
05-May-2009, 05:34 PM
I got this the day it came out on Blu-ray, and being a huge fan of Bruce i was really disappointed. He's just not as cool and funny as his usual stuff and the plot was a little TOO b movie for me, its not the worst film ive seen, but its probably the worst of all of Campbells films, its a shame because i was waiting for it for ages but in the end i was disappointed and its quickly gone to the bottom of the pile.

MinionZombie
05-May-2009, 05:47 PM
I got this the day it came out on Blu-ray, and being a huge fan of Bruce i was really disappointed. He's just not as cool and funny as his usual stuff and the plot was a little TOO b movie for me, its not the worst film ive seen, but its probably the worst of all of Campbells films, its a shame because i was waiting for it for ages but in the end i was disappointed and its quickly gone to the bottom of the pile.
I haven't seen it yet.

So, while also being a big BC fan, I'll take hellsing's view into account as well - methinks I won't be as disappointed as he, but I do wanna see it - I must get the DVD sometime soon.

Speaking of which - hellsing, did you watch the extra features? Apparently they're better than the movie itself - or so some reviewer somewhere said anyway.

I remember being really disappointed in Man With The Screaming Brain when I first saw that, and I've not seen it since - but maybe I'll rewatch it sometime.

I definitely want to get My Name Is Bruce sometime soon though, I've been dragging my feet on that one, but then again it is a recession. :)

Mr.G
05-May-2009, 05:50 PM
I rented it. It was worth a viewing but it wasn't anything I'd consider buying.

Danny
05-May-2009, 06:08 PM
I haven't seen it yet.

So, while also being a big BC fan, I'll take hellsing's view into account as well - methinks I won't be as disappointed as he, but I do wanna see it - I must get the DVD sometime soon.

Speaking of which - hellsing, did you watch the extra features? Apparently they're better than the movie itself - or so some reviewer somewhere said anyway.

I remember being really disappointed in Man With The Screaming Brain when I first saw that, and I've not seen it since - but maybe I'll rewatch it sometime.

I definitely want to get My Name Is Bruce sometime soon though, I've been dragging my feet on that one, but then again it is a recession. :)

the extras were neat, but its no bubba ho-tep sir.

Dachan-da
05-May-2009, 06:30 PM
Well, I loved the movie…….. but just on basis that Mr Campbell was the star.

I got this the day it came out on Blu-ray, and being a huge fan of Bruce i was really disappointed. He's just not as cool and funny as his usual stuff and the plot was a little TOO b movie for me

I do agree with Mr Hellsing though, this is not Bruce’s greatest film, I wouldn’t say the worst (I save that for Alien Apocalypse). The script, good in bits but as a whole, they did try too hard to get the b-movie feel, and that’s defiantly recipe for a bad film.
Bruce’s acting was ok, but as Hellsing said, he just isn’t as funny as the other films he’s been in, and that’s a tad sad as we’ve (well me anyway) come to expect a particular level of comedy the great Mr Campbell.

I haven't seen it yet.

Not answering for Hellsing, but I would say yes, they are. Bloopers, documentary’s, cut scenes, all are really funny, and, if you had seen these before you saw the film you would be in for a BIG letdown.

Give it another go, it’s one of those films were the more you give it a viewing session, the more you love it!

the extras were neat, but its no bubba ho-tep sir.
Is there anything on earth that could be?….. Didn’t think so

AcesandEights
05-May-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm not chomping at the bit for this one, myself. I hope it'll be okay, but I certainly don't need to see it and may not get around to it. I like Bruce Campbell well enough and more so appreciate the career he's been able to make for himself, but I'm just a fan, as opposed to a Fan(!).

Dachan-da
05-May-2009, 07:20 PM
......but I'm just a fan, as opposed to a Fan(!). CHARLATAN!!!!! :eek:

If you get the chance to see it i would take it, but if your a fan and not a 'Fan(!)', then i wouldnt recommend going out of your way to own/view it

MoonSylver
06-May-2009, 05:00 AM
Wow...synchronicity...I just saw this over the weekend & was a little let down, I love Bruce & have for years, but this one fell a little flat for me. The story was just a tad TOO stupid & the comedy was a bit lame, though there were a few laughs. Not 100% terrible, but a bit *meh*.

Dachan-da
07-May-2009, 06:48 AM
Wow...synchronicity...I just saw this over the weekend & was a little let down, I love Bruce & have for years, but this one fell a little flat for me. The story was just a tad TOO stupid & the comedy was a bit lame, though there were a few laughs. Not 100% terrible, but a bit *meh*.

Synchronicity, isn’t a bit freaky from time to time! :eek:

The “Not 100% terrible, but a bit *meh*”……. That sum’s it up basically lol
Id still advise Bruce fans to see it, but don’t hold out for it.