PDA

View Full Version : 'District 9' - Looks interesting...

Neil
07-May-2009, 08:15 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/District-9-Trailer-With-Alien-Revealed-13036.html

MinionZombie
07-May-2009, 10:20 AM
Hmmm...intriguing...

I guess this is what you do when you can't get the 'sure-to-make-tons-of-money' Halo movie into production, eh?

bassman
07-May-2009, 12:22 PM
Was that an on-set alien I saw there? No cgi? If so, you don't see that very often...

Could be cool.:)

PJoseph
09-May-2009, 01:58 AM
I think it looks pretty cool. The director is an effects artist who had made the short version on his own. They are pretty amazing looking.

pJ

Danny
09-May-2009, 10:11 AM
i stumbled on this one yesterday at uni and i gotta admit my interest is peaked, and trailers dont do that to often for me, but for the same reasons im intrigued it could be bad, we dont know jack about it just a cool trailer, but im holding my breath for this one.

Neil
09-May-2009, 10:57 AM
i stumbled on this one yesterday at uni and i gotta admit my interest is peaked, and trailers dont do that to often for me, but for the same reasons im intrigued it could be bad, we dont know jack about it just a cool trailer, but im holding my breath for this one.
I like these odd-ball non-hollywood productions... Just feel different...

darth los
01-Aug-2009, 04:27 PM
Wow, the search function does work !! :hyper:

And here I thought I came up on some thing new on another site. :lol:

But yeah, this has tons of potential to it. The first thing i noticed about it is that it feels genuine and gritty if you can tell that kind of thing from a trailer that is.

I cain't wait.

http://district9movie.com/

:cool:

Danny
01-Aug-2009, 06:13 PM
aint it cool news review, http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41892 and its not alone, its being toted as the most seminal important sci fi genre of the decade.
honestly i have not been this excited for a sci fi film for a long, long time and ive got veyr high expectations of this one.
I think the biggest thing thats got me excited is a recent peter jackson quote about 80% of the films in the cinema, and almost all the top grossing ones are remakes, sequels, prequels or adaptations. Nowadays a producer wont risk spending money on an origional i.p, hell i was taught my first year of college that a former student who kept the proffessor up to date took a film to get funding and was told, plain as day "go back and change it, if you can market it with a sequel at the end we will sign you for a trilogy, but we will not pay for a stand alone film, thats not how the industry works anymore"
hopefully the reception form this will change that.

EvilNed
01-Aug-2009, 06:24 PM
aint it cool news review, [url]
I think the biggest thing thats got me excited is a recent peter jackson quote about 80% of the films in the cinema, and almost all the top grossing ones are remakes, sequels, prequels or adaptations.

Sort of like... Lord of the Rings and King Kong?

Danny
01-Aug-2009, 07:40 PM
Sort of like... Lord of the Rings and King Kong?

yeah, thats pretty much his point.

EvilNed
01-Aug-2009, 08:15 PM
Well, Peter Jackson got to make pretty much any film he wanted after Lord of the Rings, and he did actually choose to make a crappy remake himself. So, meh.

MikePizzoff
02-Aug-2009, 08:45 PM
Am I the only one hoping for "The bastards have landed!" to be somewhere in this film?

Doc
02-Aug-2009, 09:56 PM
I don't know if this has been posted yet but, here: ES2dxbMCM7U

Hmm...them aliens seem similar to Ender's Game buggers to me.

DeadJonas190
07-Aug-2009, 04:32 AM
Saw a preview of the movie tonight... it was as amazing as I thought it would be. I don't want to give away anything before the rest of you guys see it so I will just end it by saying that you need to go see this as soon as you can. I will most likely go see this again in the next few weeks I enjoyed it so much (and maybe next time the person sitting behind be won't kick my seat every 5 minutes).

slickwilly13
07-Aug-2009, 05:45 AM
Do you think Peter Jackson will make over the top gore movies, again? Or does anyone think he will be a sell out like Sam Rami?

clanglee
07-Aug-2009, 06:10 AM
Or does anyone think he will be a sell out like Sam Rami?

Have you seen Drag me to Hell?:rockbrow:

DeadJonas190
07-Aug-2009, 07:03 AM
Do you think Peter Jackson will make over the top gore movies, again? Or does anyone think he will be a sell out like Sam Rami?

There was plenty of gore and splatter in District 9. Have no worries... then again, Peter Jackson was just a producer on this one, not the actual director, so who knows.

bassman
07-Aug-2009, 12:13 PM

This is the trailer for Peter Jackson's new film, The Lovely Bones. Not exactly a gore fest, but it looks like it's going to be a great film.

6jCxPDzoikk&hl=en&fs=1&

MinionZombie
07-Aug-2009, 12:34 PM
This is the trailer for Peter Jackson's new film, The Lovely Bones. Not exactly a gore fest, but it looks like it's going to be a great film.

6jCxPDzoikk&hl=en&fs=1&
I knew it was going to be his new movie, but I didn't really know anything about it - ta for posting the trailer bassman, it looks pretty good actually. I'll be there to see it no doubt. :)

It'll make a nice change after four gigantic epics in a row from Jackson, the poor bugger deserves a bit of a break. :D

darth los
07-Aug-2009, 12:50 PM
Saw a preview of the movie tonight... it was as amazing as I thought it would be. I don't want to give away anything before the rest of you guys see it so I will just end it by saying that you need to go see this as soon as you can. I will most likely go see this again in the next few weeks I enjoyed it so much (and maybe next time the person sitting behind be won't kick my seat every 5 minutes).

I got the feeling the first time I saw the trailer that this was going to be a different kind of film. Even if it's mediocre the fact that they took a chance with it is a breath of fresh air from all the rehashes, remakes and sequels.

darth los
12-Aug-2009, 06:55 PM
http://g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/moviesandtv/68091/Exclusive-District-9-Clip.html

I apologize in advance if this has been posted before. If it has then i guess it wouldn't be so...exclusive, huh?

CoinReturn
15-Aug-2009, 01:02 AM
Saw this earlier, and it really is as great as everyone's hyping it up to be. Best movie I've seen so far this year. If you plan on seeing it, try and make it to the theater knowing as little as possible about the plot, I think it's gonna blow you guys away.

Also, I was surprised to see Rambo's gore level handily exceeded. Good lord.

MinionZombie
15-Aug-2009, 09:58 AM
Saw this earlier, and it really is as great as everyone's hyping it up to be. Best movie I've seen so far this year. If you plan on seeing it, try and make it to the theater knowing as little as possible about the plot, I think it's gonna blow you guys away.

Also, I was surprised to see Rambo's gore level handily exceeded. Good lord.
Ah mate, now I really wanna see this flick, and we most definitely will when it comes out.

Bone Daddy
16-Aug-2009, 07:05 PM

6jCxPDzoikk&hl=en&fs=1&

I read the book on a whim and was glad I did. Bittersweet and heart wrenching. I'm glad Jackson is at the helm of this film adaption of the novel.

I'm stoked to see District 9, good to see something fresh and original in theaters.

CoinReturn
17-Aug-2009, 02:51 AM
I know it doesn't come out for a few weeks in the UK, but damn, I was expecting more impressions. Go see this ASAP guys!

Danny
17-Aug-2009, 01:35 PM
I know it doesn't come out for a few weeks in the UK, but damn, I was expecting more impressions. Go see this ASAP guys!

3.fucking.weeks to go...

-and this is one im watching on the big screen, not a shitty copy.

clanglee
18-Aug-2009, 12:01 AM
Saw it this weekend. One of the best movies I've seen in years. It's really really amazing. It's heartwrenching without being silly. The lead character (the actor has apparently never acted really before) really did an amazing job taking you along for the ride. You pity, love, hate, and cheer for the bastard the whole time.

Eyebiter
18-Aug-2009, 10:20 PM
Good movie. Glad I saw it in the theater.

bassman
19-Aug-2009, 05:24 PM
http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/District-9-alien.jpg

Dr Zoidberg?!?!?

http://boredofjam.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/zoidberg.jpg

EvilNed
25-Aug-2009, 10:13 PM
Just came back from it. It was kick ass really, and parts of the film you were really not sure what was going to happen, which was nice! Parts of it are rather mainstream, actually, but parts of it aren't.

Good story, lots of suspense, lots of action, lots of drama.

bassman
29-Aug-2009, 11:53 PM
Just got back. It was enjoyable, but it wasn't as great as all the hype has made it out to be.

My biggest comlaints are the cinematography and the predictable story. The cinematography starts as first person and then just switches around as if the viewer should forget that it was "diary style" at the beginning. Very distracting. The story was pretty good at the beginning, but about halfway through it became VERY predictable.

There were also some parts that felt like they were lifted directly from other scifi films. Such as the the main character's "problem". It seemed to be lifted directly from The Fly. All together it was a fun film, though. Not as great as he hype would lead you to believe, but still enjoyable.

7/10

EvilNed
30-Aug-2009, 08:54 AM
I agree with how the plot develops halfway through the film. But before that it is ace, and while the plot does get predicteable, it still turns out a killer ending.

As for the way the film was shot, I enjoyed it immensly. Again, the first part of the film is told almost in documentary style. It's great, but when the more actiony plot points kick in, they abandon that. All around the best recent sci-fi film I've seen for a few years.

mista_mo
30-Aug-2009, 02:24 PM
FOOK FOOK FOOKIN FOOKERS

Man, I loved the guys accent. But it was a great movie, and enjoyable as it made the humans the 'bad guys' so to speak, instead of the heros, which so many alien films suggest. Hell, I hated the main character, loved him, and felt bad for him all at very different times of the movie, and I think that was my favourite part- how well the character of Wikus was played.

I think one of my favourite scenes was near the start when the prawn grabs that mnu guard buy the arms, and kicks him in the chest, tearing his arms off. I dunno why, but to me, it suggested that the prawns were pretty fed up with living in the district, before anything involving Christopher was brought up.

Actually, my favourite scene was at the end- not going to say what happens, but for me, it was the most enjoyable.

EvilNed
30-Aug-2009, 03:54 PM
Yeah. I agree on Wikus. Such a strong character, really and I only really have one gripe with his character (and that's his stupid, cliché answering machine! :p ). You think he's turning out into a good guy, but then he does something stupid... Or does he? Or what? It's like that all the time. It really grew into a journey you took with this character and I loved it.

The prawns were really cool too, as was District 9 itself. I really felt how filthy and disgusting that place was.

bassman
30-Aug-2009, 04:02 PM
I never could relate to the main character, really. The only character I really cared about was the prawn child and because of his safety, his father too.

That said...I did think the actor did a great job. He was convincing.

Thinking back on the film now, i would have to say the most memorable parts were the beginning of the "raid" on District 9. Good parallels to real life events and it was somehow very funny to me.:rockbrow:

That was also the beginning of the end for the cinematography. It REALLY got on my nerves how they would go in and out of the documentary style. Distracting as fook and probably the main thing keeping me from totally enjoying the film. Horrible move on the DP's part.

Another negative mark on the film was the CGI. The CGI was good, but I remember being really excited when I saw the first teaser trailer with what appeared to be an on-set puppet. Then to find out that all the prawns in the film are CGI is really disappointing.

EvilNed
30-Aug-2009, 04:04 PM
Don't know. I usually hate hand-held camera films but in this film it was used brilliantly. It made it feel more realy, and very Cinema Verité. I'd have to disagree with you and say excellent move on the DP's part. :p

mista_mo
30-Aug-2009, 05:25 PM
i've read reviews where people complained about the shaky cam in this movie, and all i can say is "where"?

The only part i can remember it really getting to me was when Wikus sprayed himself with that fluid shit, and he pushed the camera guy away. Seriously, are people this overtly sensitive nowadays?

also, i want one of those Arc Caster things.

DubiousComforts
30-Aug-2009, 08:08 PM
District 9 is everything that Terminator Salvation should have been given all they had to work with on that film. It's the smartest, most entertaining sci-fi film to come along in ages and easily the best of the summer flicks. Before the emphasis was shifted to mindless eye candy, this is exactly how all the best science fiction films were made: a great story with a clear message. I believed I was watching a modern episode of the original Outer Limits.

No doubt the filmmakers that made District 9 are fans of classic sci-fi films, but the influences really aren't as obvious as claimed. Comparisons to Alien Nation, Quatermass or The Fly, for example, are superfluous because the movie is not about monsters, it's about one character losing his human identity while simultaneously gaining his humanity. This film's influences are more obviously rooted in the present; the reality-TV footage, for example, is more reminiscent of The Office than anything else. This aspect was handled very cleverly.

The film is far better than I was led to believe by the trailer or in reviews, presumably because most audiences are just fixating on the aliens and the action of which there is more than enough to keep one occupied. If you don't like heavy social commentary, then you probably won't enjoy District 9, although I suppose it's possible to check one's brain at the door and simply enjoy the ride. I just can't imagine why anyone would want to since there are countless other films that have been designed specifically for that.

There have also been complaints about the possibility of a sequel as set-up in the film. I see absolutely no problem with a sequel as long as there is a good story to tell. Frankly, I'm more relieved that there is no possibility of a pointless "remake" given the film's wide release.

bassman
30-Aug-2009, 08:30 PM
The Fly, for example, are superfluous because the movie is not about monsters, it's about a one character losing his human identity while simultaneously gaining his humanity.

The bad thing about District 9's relation to The Fly is that the main character's deterioration is almost shot-for-shot ripped off. The nail biting, the teeth falling out. Nearly identical to The Fly.

DubiousComforts
30-Aug-2009, 08:50 PM
The bad thing about District 9's relation to The Fly is that the main character's deterioration is almost shot-for-shot ripped off. The nail biting, the teeth falling out. Nearly identical to The Fly.
I understand why it could be viewed that way, but The Fly wasn't the only film to depict a loss-of-identity transformation in that manner. The single arm/appendage being taken over by an alien form is a theme far more prevalent in other sci-fi films, and it still doesn't play as a "rip-off" in District 9.

bassman
30-Aug-2009, 08:54 PM
I actually thought the single arm was a bit silly.*shrugs shoulders*

DubiousComforts
30-Aug-2009, 09:03 PM
I actually thought the single arm was a bit silly.*shrugs shoulders*
Silly or not, if you've seen a lot of sci-fi films it's been done countless times before. The point was that it didn't detract from the story as rip-off.

How about the irony in the name "Wikus van de Merwe" being somewhat alien-sounding to English-speakers while the name "Christopher Johnson" is about as Americanized as you can get?

bassman
30-Aug-2009, 09:06 PM
Silly or not, if you've seen a lot of sci-fi films it's been done countless times before. The point was that it didn't detract from the story as rip-off.

I considered it a bit of a rip of. It was a cliche concept, anyway.

Yeah, the name switcheroo was obvious. It was just about beat over my head as much as the message in Romero's films....

EvilNed
30-Aug-2009, 09:14 PM

Hmm, I really can't think of any films lately that have featured this part enough to make it "cliché". You're right, it refers to The Fly, but then again, what's wrong with that? Saying that it bears any other resemblence to The Fly is just beyond me, because they are two VERY different movies! Besides, The Fly was made in 1986. Put it this way, being bothered by the "shot for shot"-transformation to the alien is sort off like being bothered by the "Shot for shot"-transformation to the Wolf Man in the new trailer. He's transforming, god damnit, you got to show it somehow and I thought the nail falling off was very nicely handled. So what if it's been done before? That was in a different context in a film that came out 23 years ago. Please...

bassman
30-Aug-2009, 09:16 PM
Actually....the arm thing is also from the original "The Fly". Not the remake. So D9 rips off several Fly movies!:lol:

Seriously though....the single different arm has been seen many, many times before....

DubiousComforts
30-Aug-2009, 09:19 PM

Yeah, the name switcheroo was obvious. It was just about beat over my head as much as the message in Romero's films....
"If you don't like heavy social commentary, then you probably won't enjoy District 9, although I suppose it's possible to check one's brain at the door and simply enjoy the ride. I just can't imagine why anyone would want to since there are countless other films that have been designed specifically for that."

I rest my case.

bassman
30-Aug-2009, 09:22 PM
"If you don't like heavy social commentary, then you probably won't enjoy District 9, although I suppose it's possible to check one's brain at the door and simply enjoy the ride. I just can't imagine why anyone would want to since there are countless other films that have been designed specifically for that."

I rest my case.

I'm not sure what case you're resting. I said I enjoyed the film.:confused:

DubiousComforts
30-Aug-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm not sure what case you're resting. I said I enjoyed the film.:confused:
You could have fooled me.

EvilNed
30-Aug-2009, 09:25 PM
Seriously though....the single different arm has been seen many, many times before....

And your point is...? Really?

Again, tho, I can't really come up with any recent film where it had a big part of the plot.

DubiousComforts
30-Aug-2009, 09:30 PM
And your point is...? Really?

Again, tho, I can't really come up with any recent film where it had a big part of the plot.
Not recent, but classic films. There are any number of them: The Quatermass Xperiment, the original Blob and even Laserblast to some extent with the idea of an alien weapon taking over one's identity.

It simply suits the story and probably wouldn't be quite as effective if it was say, a leg. :D

bassman
30-Aug-2009, 09:31 PM

There are films that were made before 1990...you do realize this, right Ned?:p

EvilNed
30-Aug-2009, 09:35 PM
There are films that were made before 1990...you do realize this, right Ned?:p

Yes I do, but heck, District 9 was made in 2009. If it features a single convention used in a film from the 1980's, that's not a rip off. That's simply using the genre conventions. It's not even bordering on cliché, because as I said, it's not used that often.

mista_mo
30-Aug-2009, 09:51 PM
I like this movie.

DubiousComforts
30-Aug-2009, 10:01 PM
That's simply using the genre conventions. It's not even bordering on cliché, because as I said, it's not used that often.
Very well said, and I agree 100%. Stating that District 9 is a rip-off of The Fly et al is like claiming The Terminator or Back To The Future films ripped-off the time travel premise in The Man Who Was Never Born episode of The Outer Limits. Clearly, these are good examples of using a popular convention to tell a contemporary story. There are so many other blatant rip-offs more deserving of the criticism than District 9.

bassman
30-Aug-2009, 10:22 PM
Very well said, and I agree 100%. Stating that District 9 is a rip-off of The Fly et al is like claiming The Terminator or Back To The Future films ripped-off the time travel premise in The Man Who Was Never Born episode of The Outer Limits. Clearly, these are good examples of using a popular convention to tell a contemporary story. There are so many other blatant rip-offs more deserving of the criticism than District 9.

Different strokes, I suppose. As I said before...I liked the movie. The minor criticisms I have shouldn't be so insulting to you....

DubiousComforts
30-Aug-2009, 10:39 PM
Different strokes, I suppose. As I said before...I liked the movie. The minor criticisms I have shouldn't be so insulting to you....
I fail to see them as insulting insomuch as being misconstrued. As I've said, there are many other blatant rip-offs so much more deserving of criticism than District 9 but then again I seldom understand the double standard by which audiences judge films today.

bassman
30-Aug-2009, 10:45 PM
I fail to see them as insulting insomuch as being misconstrued. As I've said, there are many other blatant rip-offs so much more deserving of criticism than District 9 but then again I seldom understand the double standard by which audiences judge films today.

You're right. My opinions are wrong. Now you should sleep easy tonight.:p

DubiousComforts
30-Aug-2009, 10:56 PM
You're right. My opinions are wrong. Now you should sleep easy tonight.:p
Cool, glad we got that sorted out.

Next, let's tackle religion...

Danny
05-Sep-2009, 09:00 PM
Yes I do, but heck, District 9 was made in 2009. If it features a single convention used in a film from the 1980's, that's not a rip off. That's simply using the genre conventions. It's not even bordering on cliché, because as I said, it's not used that often.

-to back ned up, the subgenre the fly is in is called "body horror", in which the protagonist's own body turns against them and begins to change into something less than human, and the fly was no where near the first film to use that particular narrative device.

-NOW. im just back from this and i can say with absolute certainty that this is one of the first, most seminal films in the sci-fi genre in this century. This will be looked back on in 20 years by some with the same cult fondness as alien or pulp fiction or the breakfast club, its a film people will love now, and love a long time from now just as much.
The plot was interesting, it didnt try to be something epic, its a story that keeps its pace from start to finish. The effects ranged from "holy shit, is that anamatronics" to "that alien is float-walking across the rubble" but honestly the cgi shown in the 2012 trailer was fucking abysmal and this was shown right before this started so this isnt a story breaker. The protagonist started off with me taking a very quick dislike to the character, he treats the "prawns" like shit and kills there eggs with no remorse, its not even killing to him as there less than people, but as he goes on you warm to him and considering this is the actors first gig and he had to put the accent on, i think- though i could be wrong, he does a fucking impressive performance.
The movie is quite simple, the premise, the amount of locals and sets and the information we are given is basic, but thats the same way as in alien, were not given 60 minutes of exposition, were dropped in and running at a certain point in time and we are told a tight, concise story which leaves you wanting so much more than it delivers.
In a good way though.
Honestly i know the end leaves you screaming "oh yeah, district 10, coming soon AMIRITE." but im guessing, given what the ending shows we are getting a prequel to answer the initiators of the plot, not the outcomes.

In a word, Superb, i will be seeing this again later in the week, its been a while since ive enjoyed a piece of cinema so much, and so eagerly wanted to experience it again. You will either leave the screen loving it completely , or consider it "alright" but it will be impossible for you to walking out calling this a piece of shit and hating it. For a filmmakers first big piece i love it, quite the way to break onto the silver screen and gain worldwide renown.

even if his surname sounds like blumpkin.:|

krakenslayer
05-Sep-2009, 09:21 PM
Saw it last night, purposefully knowing almost nothing about it, and was blown away. I knew it was supposed to be good but - wow - let's just say I can't believe this and Moon came out in 2009, the same year as Transformers 2, Terminator Salvation and GI Joe.

Moon and District Nine are two of the smartest, most entertaining sci-fi movies I've ever seen. It almost like being transported back to the 70s and 80s when science fiction was meaningful. Brilliant! Just brilliant. Could it be that the film industry is beginning to shake off the imaginative torpor of the past fifteen/twenty years? Might we start regularly seeing new, intelligent, remotely original films that aren't sequels, reimaginings or remakes? Fucking hope so.

I don't want to get into reviewing District Nine cos I'll be writing all night. Let me just say, that few film have ever engaged me emotionally, intellectually, imaginatively and vicerally like this one did. Maybe Dawn of the Dead, but that's about it.

Danny
05-Sep-2009, 09:35 PM
Saw it last night, purposefully knowing almost nothing about it, and was blown away. I knew it was supposed to be good but - wow - let's just say I can't believe this and Moon came out in 2009, the same year as Transformers 2, Terminator Salvation and GI Joe.

Moon and District Nine are two of the smartest, most entertaining sci-fi movies I've ever seen. It almost like being transported back to the 70s and 80s when science fiction was meaningful. Brilliant! Just brilliant. Could it be that the film industry is beginning to shake off the imaginative torpor of the past fifteen/twenty years? Might we start regularly seeing new, intelligent, remotely original films that aren't sequels, reimaginings or remakes? Fucking hope so.

I don't want to get into reviewing District Nine cos I'll be writing all night. Let me just say, that few film have ever engaged me emotionally, intellectually, imaginatively and vicerally like this one did. Maybe Dawn of the Dead, but that's about it.

yeah dude, due to protests of its abysmal two day run last month moons getting a proper "everyday but weds and thurs" run, so im seeing it next friday and cannot wait.

krakenslayer
05-Sep-2009, 09:43 PM
yeah dude, due to protests of its abysmal two day run last month moons getting a proper "everyday but weds and thurs" run, so im seeing it next friday and cannot wait.

Yeah, you'll enjoy it man, it's a damn good movie! On the other hand, I don't want to hype it up too much, because we all know what happens then (*ahem*Land*cough*). :D

Danny
05-Sep-2009, 10:12 PM
Yeah, you'll enjoy it man, it's a damn good movie! On the other hand, I don't want to hype it up too much, because we all know what happens then (*ahem*Land*cough*). :D

just like with disctrict 9 ive been ignoring anythign about moon- till i got a copy of the script and didnt know what it was, read it, whent "fuck this is good, like a feature length outer limits story", asked what it was and whent "moon?...fuck".

MinionZombie
08-Sep-2009, 05:49 PM
Well, I've gone and gotten blog juice all over my thoughts on District 9...

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2009/09/district-9.html

As well as a mini round-up of the flicks I've seen so far this year.

And yes, District 9 is in my Top 5 of 2009 thus far. :cool:

capncnut
08-Sep-2009, 06:07 PM
Innit. Saw District 9 on Friday and was simply blown away.

bassman
08-Sep-2009, 06:30 PM
Nice blogage, MZ.

Lesbian Vampire Killers? Never heard of that one but it sounds like something that would go straight to dvd...

DubiousComforts
08-Sep-2009, 06:37 PM
Well, I've gone and gotten blog juice all over my thoughts on District 9...
I just knew your blog would deliver, though I must disagree regarding "club-heading" subtext. Just like any episode of South Park, the political commentary in District 9 is about as in your face as you can get but it's easy to forget that fact due to all the special effects action.

The problem is that nowadays, any commentary in entertainment is quickly dismissed as ham-fisted and over-the top because nobody likes or wants to think. District 9 offers a lot of food for thought about the current political climate, but it's all been cleverly delivered in the form of aliens, bio-weapons and video game action.

I predict the studio geniuses will see District 9 as an excuse to bring back the heady sci-fi of The Outer Limits in a big-budget reboot -- minus any intelligent concept, of course. :D

MinionZombie
08-Sep-2009, 06:58 PM
Nice blogage, MZ.

Lesbian Vampire Killers? Never heard of that one but it sounds like something that would go straight to dvd...
Well it went theatrical here in the UK as:

1) It's British.
2) It's got comedy duo Horne & Corden in it, who are pretty big right now.

Although said duo's sketch show was decidedly shit with moments of chuckle-dom, with the odd proper guffaw.

LVK has it's moments, but it's generally quite disappointing when you look back on it. Ideal for a rental with some mates over for a few cans though.

darth los
08-Sep-2009, 08:37 PM
Nice blogage, MZ.

Sounds like something you would pay a $29.99 a month subscription for on the internet dude. :p

MinionZombie
08-Sep-2009, 08:57 PM
Sounds like something you would pay a $29.99 a month subscription for on the internet dude. :p
:lol:

pmRcZivttYY

Neil
09-Sep-2009, 09:05 AM
Saw it last night...

Good flick, if for a couple of silly oversights. eg:-
They needed every drop of the black liquid they'd been collecting for 20yrs... but even though a good portion of it had sprayed over Wikus, there was still enough?

Good low budget non-Hollywood flick... Look forward to a sequel :)

MinionZombie
09-Sep-2009, 12:53 PM
hehe, yeah I know what you mean...

I too thought "but a bunch sprayed on his face" - but then again, I just dismissed it - it's a film with aliens and space ships in it, so it's easy to cut it an appropriate amount of slack.

Neil
09-Sep-2009, 01:39 PM
hehe, yeah I know what you mean...

I too thought "but a bunch sprayed on his face" - but then again, I just dismissed it - it's a film with aliens and space ships in it, so it's easy to cut it an appropriate amount of slack.

Agreed...

Can't imagine we won't see District 10...

bassman
09-Sep-2009, 01:51 PM
Can't imagine we won't see District 10...

Ya think? I'm not sure they made it obvious enough.:p

MinionZombie
09-Sep-2009, 02:14 PM
Ya think? I'm not sure they made it obvious enough.:p
As long as they retain the quality of D9, then fine by me.

DubiousComforts
09-Sep-2009, 02:17 PM
Good flick, if for a couple of silly oversights. eg:-
They needed every drop of the black liquid they'd been collecting for 20yrs... but even though a good portion of it had sprayed over Wikus, there was still enough?
Wasn't the shortage of liquid/fuel the reason for Christopher not being able to help Wikus immediately? I see that as a subtle irony, but you know, I have to see the movie again because there is a lot going on. We also don't know if they were collecting or synthesizing the liquid for the entire 20 years. It could have been a recent development after many false starts.

As long as they retain the quality of D9, then fine by me.
If they have a story as good as the first one, it shouldn't be a problem.

Neil
09-Sep-2009, 02:40 PM
District 6 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_Six,_Cape_Town

Tricky
13-Sep-2009, 05:17 PM
Does anyone remember the original short film of district 9 from 2005?In fact I think it was posted on these very forums all those years ago!
ZlgtbEdqVsk

Tricky
31-Dec-2009, 01:58 PM
Finally got round to watching this last night, missed the cinema showings as my g/f wouldnt go & see it, so ive picked up the DVD! Enjoyed it anyway, thought the way it was done had a very realistic feel to it (the gritty refugee camp mainly) & I loved the alien weaponry. Spent most of the film feeling massively sorry for the aliens & that the humans, including the main character, were all a bunch of pricks! Im going soft in my old age I think, but I would have been gutted if Christopher Johnson or his son had been killed!

darth los
31-Dec-2009, 03:04 PM
Finally got round to watching this last night, missed the cinema showings as my g/f wouldnt go & see it, so ive picked up the DVD! Enjoyed it anyway, thought the way it was done had a very realistic feel to it (the gritty refugee camp mainly) & I loved the alien weaponry. Spent most of the film feeling massively sorry for the aliens & that the humans, including the main character, were all a bunch of pricks! Im going soft in my old age I think, but I would have been gutted if Christopher Johnson or his son had been killed!

I've been thinking about picking this one up. However, it would be a blu ray purchase so that's 20-25 bucks easy. So before i take the plunge, is it worth it iyho, or should i rent it and give it a propper viewing first?

MinionZombie
31-Dec-2009, 04:25 PM
It's a spiffing film.

I felt that Wikus is the sort of character that starts off like a right bellend, then over the course of the movie he becomes a real hero and you're just right there with him, cheering him on. I know I was.

Like when they go into that government building, or when he's in that Ed-209 type machine and he catches that rocket - ah mate - hero time right there. The way how he just keeps fighting.

Tricky
01-Jan-2010, 05:42 PM
It's a spiffing film.

I felt that Wikus is the sort of character that starts off like a right bellend, then over the course of the movie he becomes a real hero and you're just right there with him, cheering him on. I know I was.

I was warming to him until.. he had his violent tantrum after christopher johnson said promised to come back for him but it would take 3 years, the way he knocked him unconscious then left him for those mercs was right out of order! I guess he did redeem himself with the mech suit battle, but he was still a bit of a bellend lol

Danny
01-Jan-2010, 10:37 PM
I was warming to him until.. he had his violent tantrum after christopher johnson said promised to come back for him but it would take 3 years, the way he knocked him unconscious then left him for those mercs was right out of order! I guess he did redeem himself with the mech suit battle, but he was still a bit of a bellend lol

i thought it was very refreshing to have a complex character who wasnt necessarily bad but was driven by his self preservation in what, to him, was essentially a 'body horror deal'. Wikus was a conflicted guy, not stereotypically bad or good. He was a character in the truest sense of the word. From the moment at the very start where he discovers a nest of "prawn larva" and has the place torched i really disliked the guy, but then you start to feel for him, then hate him again and vice versa. its a roller coaster between compassion and distaste for a character played by a first time actor and it was superb. take something like avatar. in that sully is pretty much "the good guy" he is just a guy who does no wrong. Wikus does but it doesnt make him a bad guy, just a believably flawed human being.

MoonSylver
02-Jan-2010, 02:56 AM
i thought it was very refreshing to have a complex character who wasnt necessarily bad but was driven by his self preservation in what, to him, was essentially a 'body horror deal'. Wikus was a conflicted guy, not stereotypically bad or good. He was a character in the truest sense of the word. From the moment at the very start where he discovers a nest of "prawn larva" and has the place torched i really disliked the guy, but then you start to feel for him, then hate him again and vice versa. its a roller coaster between compassion and distaste for a character played by a first time actor and it was superb. take something like avatar. in that sully is pretty much "the good guy" he is just a guy who does no wrong. Wikus does but it doesnt make him a bad guy, just a believably flawed human being.

Bingo. I just saw this last night for the first time & that was one of the biggest selling points for me on why I enjoyed it so much & found it to be as awesome as everyone has said. Really made it much more believable & realistic.

Lots of twists & turns in the story. Fresh & unpredictable. Has a great message by tying it in to real life events WITHOUT overstating it & having it overshadow the movie itself. Great movie.

MinionZombie
02-Jan-2010, 10:15 AM

Bingo. I just saw this last night for the first time & that was one of the biggest selling points for me on why I enjoyed it so much & found it to be as awesome as everyone has said. Really made it much more believable & realistic.

Lots of twists & turns in the story. Fresh & unpredictable. Has a great message by tying it in to real life events WITHOUT overstating it & having it overshadow the movie itself. Great movie.

Well said, the both of you.

Although characters that are 'simply' good or bad can and still do work frequently in films. Just thought I'd add that in.

But aye, it made Wikus all the more interesting, however interestingly I didn't find that bit off-putting. I understood it from the point of view of "three focking years?!" - the man is going through this hideous, terrifying transformation that he cannot stop, and now he has to wait three years to possibly be fixed. You can understand the lapse in judgement, especially when he started the film as such a tit - but by the end of it, when he's in that ED-209 type thingy, man alive are you rooting for him.

MoonSylver
02-Jan-2010, 10:23 PM
Well said, the both of you.

Although characters that are 'simply' good or bad can and still do work frequently in films. Just thought I'd add that in.

Yeah I thought about adding that. While it works well in this film, the last thing I would want is a cinema landscape littered with morally ambiguous "heroes"(?). In this instance it works, in other cases it wouldn't. JUst depends on what kind of movie you're trying to make. It's all about context.

But aye, it made Wikus all the more interesting, however interestingly I didn't find that bit off-putting. I understood it from the point of view of "three focking years?!" - the man is going through this hideous, terrifying transformation that he cannot stop, and now he has to wait three years to possibly be fixed. You can understand the lapse in judgement, especially when he started the film as such a tit

Yeah, that was one of those moments that, as a viewer, had me going "What the fuck are you THINKING?!?!? NOW what're ya gonna do!?!?!", but in terms of the character, & what he was going through, it was totally believable, even if it didn't make "sense".

- but by the end of it, when he's in that ED-209 type thingy, man alive are you rooting for him.

That was fucking awesome. Period.:cool:

paranoid101
02-Jan-2010, 11:52 PM
Just picked it up on Blu-ray, I really love this film, can't really think of a fault with it.

The CGI is flawless, got a real gritty feel to it and I was grinning from ear to ear when the Alien weaponry was used, bad ass.

Wonder if there's going to be a follow up and if yes is It going to be a rescue or invasion?

The director has a bright future ahead of him.

Jeffery
17-Jan-2010, 03:25 PM
The lady & I rented this a few weeks ago & I must say, I was not impressed. She however liked it. Both agreed though it wasn't anything like we thought it was going to be.