PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Loz
07-May-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi, i'm new here and i'm doing some research on film fans for an assignment and just wanted to ask you guys a question. I was wondering what it was that first got you interested in these films? Were you introduced to them by someone else or did you just kinda stumble accross them?

Any answers would be appreciated,

Thanks, Loz :)

Andy
07-May-2009, 10:15 PM
Welcome to the forums loz.

For me personally, i remember first seeing dawn of the dead when i was about 4 or 5, cant remember how old exactly and have to say at the time i didnt really get what was happening, but i was really drawn into it and loved it, and have been obsessed since.

AcesandEights
07-May-2009, 11:01 PM
Hello and welcome, Loz.

I stumbled onto the films, myself.

Not sure if it's helpful, but I did a quick search and there is a poll about when people were first exposed to GAR films and in the thread (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=11519&highlight=introduced) some people discuss who introduced them etc.

Mike70
08-May-2009, 12:14 AM
welcome dude.

i've been into romero since i saw NOTLD on late night TV with my mom (who was a big horror fan) when i was like, maybe 8 or 9.

a bit off topic but- andrew and neil: is there some kinda recruiting drive going on? seems new members are swarming all over the place (and actually posting) in the last day or so.

Danny
08-May-2009, 12:56 AM
i knew of night through its reputation with horror nuts i knew before i actually saw it, one night it was on bbc2 at 11pm so i just gave it a watch and was enthralled right up to the shock ending, which remains one of the my favorite surprise endings to this day.

clanglee
08-May-2009, 01:02 AM
Hmmm, I was about 7 years old when I saw Dawn for the first time. My folks were having one of their lazy drinking nights and allowed me to stay up late and watch Dawn with them. I was a trooper until the Miguel zombie bit that woman's neck adn arm. I ran out of the room with the intention of going to bed. My parents agreeing that it was probably a good idea. I was kinda hooked though, so instead of going to bed, I watched the rest of the movie from the stairs peeking around the corner (unbeknownst to my parents)

I had nightmares for months after that.

After the nightmares subsided, I was a zombie junkie. Hell, a horror junkie. I actively sought and watched all horror I could find, which my mom loved since she loves horror and my dad hates it.

archivesofthede
08-May-2009, 01:12 AM
Hi, i'm new here and i'm doing some research on film fans for an assignment and just wanted to ask you guys a question. I was wondering what it was that first got you interested in these films? Were you introduced to them by someone else or did you just kinda stumble accross them?

I had several members of my family near death or close to death as a very young child. I didn't understand what death was during this time. One night during all this my mother explained what it means to die.

Ironicly I stayed up late that night and saw Night Of The Living Dead on TV. It confused and scared the hell out of me for the rest of my life.

Even today as a MAN BOY, I'm still scared to death of zombies and collect as much zombie items as I can. I surround myself with them. I have a 1,000 sq basement and half of it is shelves of Romero items, books, toys, 1:1 scales and other types of zombie stuff.

I'm also OCD and border line insane. :clown:

MoonSylver
08-May-2009, 04:49 AM
As a child I was terrified of even promos for horror movies on TV. Anything horror related sent me packing.

When I moved at about 12 & got cable in the early 80's, something just changed in me & I couldn't get enough horror.

One of the first movies I saw on Halloween was NOTLD. I was was blown away. The ending really stunned me, even angered me a bit. Later, I could really appreciate it. I probably couldn't have verbalized it at the time, but there is a grim irony, a poetic INjustice about it.

Then VCR's came along & I started working my way through all of these weird, unknown (to me) horror flicks at my local video store. That was when I first saw Dawn & Day (back to back). Then I was REALLY blown away.

Thorn
08-May-2009, 02:36 PM
Watched a re-run of night at an old drive in theater as part of a double feature. At least where I am it was tradition for the first film to be more kid friendly or family friendly. My parents would then put us to "sleep" in the back of the car and watch the second film. It was Night of the Living Dead and I was not supposed to be watching it but I did. It scared the hell out of me and I couldn't tell anyone, and I couldn't stop watching.

bassman
08-May-2009, 03:54 PM
Always saw Night on tv through the years but never paid it much attention. Then one day my brother brings home a VHS copy of Day that someone had recommended and I was hooked from there. Took me forever to get a copy of Dawn on DVD. This was around the time that Ebay was the only option as it was OOP and the UE/Theatrical hadn't been released.

Yojimbo
08-May-2009, 08:28 PM
Loz, welcome to the madhouse!

I first got into the zombie film world by being exposed to a heavily edited NOLD broadcast on commerical TV. Been severely hooked ever since, but never really figured out exactly why I am attracted to these films. In fact, I thought that I was alone in my interest in zombie films until I discovered online a vast community of others like me.

I did create a thread some time ago that posed this question to other members here. Maybe this might help:

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=8171

Again, welcome to the forums!

Publius
08-May-2009, 09:31 PM
Hi, i'm new here and i'm doing some research on film fans for an assignment and just wanted to ask you guys a question. I was wondering what it was that first got you interested in these films?

For me, my interest in Romero's zombies is an outgrowth of my interest in postapocalyptic fiction. I got interested in the movies after reading books like The Postman, Earth Abides, Alas, Babylon, The Stand, Lucifer's Hammer, etc.

DawnGirl27
09-May-2009, 03:03 AM
First saw NOTLD in college with my brother (it was showing late one night) and my love of zombies came from there. When I saw Dawn soon afterward, I was hooked, and for awhile, watched it every single day. Love horror/sci-fi, but my favorite monster is the undead.

Welcome, by the way! :)

Neil
09-May-2009, 07:58 AM
From the 'Bits And Pieces' page:-

I can remember sometime around the early 80s when I was sitting at home one rainy Sunday afternoon feeling very bored. In search of something to read I walked around to my local news agents and looked through their magazines and books, one of which caught my attention. Its title was "Return of the Living Dead". I read the synopsis, bought it and read the entire story that afternoon. Now for those of you that do not know, this book is not to be confused with the film of the same title. It is basically a sequel to Night of the Living Dead, set ten years later. However, at the time I had never heard of Night of the Living Dead, yet alone Dawn of the Dead. A few years later when I went in to a video shop to rent my first ever video and I saw a film called "Dawn of the Dead". At the time I had no knowledge that the book I had previously read was in anyway related to this film, but for some reason I felt compelled to hire it. And here we are... As for the book that I suppose sparked everything off, "Return of the Living Dead", I lent it to a school friend and never received it back.

When I finally "got online" in 1997 I took the opportunity of starting up "Homepage of the Dead". Initially it was aimed just at sharing my opinion on Romero's Dead trilogy, but it soon became apparent that I was not alone in my appreciation of these films and the site expanded. If you asked me why I think these films are so popular I would have to answer, "I really just don't know." Yes they are original. Yes they are well produced. But there has to be something more to them to make them endure in the way they have!

Anyway, to end I'd like to thank everyone who has helped with the site, be it a contribution or just an email. I'd especially like to thank my girlfriend Dawn - it took me years to find a girlfriend named after one of the films - who has to put up with this "Nutter of the Dead!"

And this article:-

http://www.homepageofthedead.com/baps/romero_trilogy.html

Dommm
09-May-2009, 01:14 PM
When I was about 12/ I saw Dawn of the dead on Sky movies gold, it got me hooked.

Debbieangel
10-May-2009, 01:34 AM
Welcome Loz to our "deadhead" world!
I had the honor of seeing Night of the Living Dead when it came to the drive in theaters in 1969. It left a lasting impression on me ever since then. I was a little kid then and had to wait 11 years for Dawn to come out. I also saw it at the drive in theater. I have been hooked on zombie movies since then(1969).
Welcome to our group of "DEADHEADS"!!

RustyHicks
14-May-2009, 12:28 AM
First Romero movie I ever saw was Dawn of the Dead, I was 12, my best friend asked
me if I wanted to go over to his apartment and watch this wicket movie he had and the rest is history

DeadJonas190
14-May-2009, 02:53 AM

Welcome to the forums.

I used to watch horror movies with my mom and brother when I was a kid. I remember one November my dad went deer hunting and my mom took us up to the little video store on the corner and rented us this movie that "scared her to death when she was a teenager" and it happened to be Night of the Living Dead. She also rented us Return of the Living Dead and we watched them back to back. I remember how terrified I was of Night even though it was in black and white and then Return scared me too.

Zombie movies always held a special place in my heart after that and eventually I discovered Dawn and the zombie movie became my dirty romance. I have popped many peoples "Dawn" cherry and it is still a movie that I try to show to anybody who has not seen it. In fact, a few weeks ago I showed a friend of mine Dawn for the first time and she loved it, said it was the best zombie movie she has ever seen.