PDA

View Full Version : Just back from Star Trek...

Danny
07-May-2009, 09:29 PM
-and hot damn thats the best flick ive seen this year since watchmen, i whent in knowing it had great reviews across the board but i really loved it. id even go as far to say its probably on par with a new hope for a new generation, you've got a sci-fi adventure story where one young hero journeys across the universe, picking up a few people on the way against impossible odd's. i dont want to give much away but Leonard Nemoy's performance was bitchin' and at the end leaves you thinking what the future of the franchise is.
Some of the acting choices are a bit off, namely the actor playing checkov, even a 17 year old checkov, was far too young but bones and sulu were spot on for a revamp, and kirk and spock were great, a bit more slapstick at times but i dont know why i was worried about either actors filling the roles, they totally ran with it and WERE James Tiberius Kirk and Mr.Spock.

In fact out of the whole movie i have three gripes.

1:So the romulans are miners form the future, how do they have a deep knowledge of psyiches if there job is digging?
2:What if abrams obsession with so much fucking light bloom indoors, did he see gears of war and go "oh yeah, daddy like"
3:the main threat of the story should have only been a one use thing for its purpose, so why other than a cheap plot device did it exist like it did?

3 minor gripes aint much really, ive got way bigger ones with watchmen and thats a classic for me, but really if you an old school fan the final shot will leave you wanting to appluade, or if your new to it like a bald guy in front of me, youll instantly stand up after that, say "THAT WERE FOOKIN' GRAYET" and leave.

either way this is something a little more special than yet another studio revamp, its the same as transformers, theres enough new to keep you interested, and enough nostalgia to make you smile when you hear "damn it im a doctor not a physicist!" as part of real dialogue and not just a cheap nod at the original.

either way its a great summer flick and if your a fan of sci-fi youll dig it regardless, if your a trek fan youll love it.

...even if vulcans sky is blue not red.

AcesandEights
07-May-2009, 10:32 PM
Stopped after the first sentence to avoid spoilers. Awesome that you liked it, man. Hopefully I'll catch it soon. I want to see it on Imax, but I heard it will only be on Imax screens for a limited time (I heard 2 weeks). Don't know if that's just a rumor or what.

Neil
07-May-2009, 10:41 PM
Enjoyed it, mainly for the character interplay etc...
1) Shakey cam is still annoying.
2) New light-bloom obsession is almost as annoying.
3) The plot it all a bit weak.

7.5/10

Seem to remember Serenity coming across as a better scifi flick (for me)?

MoonSylver
07-May-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm hearing NOTHING but positive comments 100% across the board from fans & non fan's alike. I may have to cave & see it....damn it. I just hope I can get over all of my fan boy baggage. Something about the whole reboot/revamp/toss the old continuity still just leaves me sad:(

blind2d
08-May-2009, 01:05 AM
Love your Rorshach Moon. I won't be seeing this one, gang. The economy is cramping my style, and I'm not all excited about a new CG-ridden action/adventure/pseudo-remake/tribute film. Fine for some, but I'll just watch the Borg one again. Good luck with that future, y'all. I still have some past here to sift through. Not to say I hold anything against you guys, but... I seriously doubt there are any zombies in it.
PS: Dr. Manhattan is a jerk.

clanglee
08-May-2009, 03:31 AM
Awesomeness!! I can't wait to see it.

MoonSylver
08-May-2009, 05:13 AM
Love your Rorschach Moon.

http://images-2.redbubble.net/img/art/size:large/view:main/2504881-2-who-is-watching.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/sb2bo5.gif

PS: Dr. Manhattan is a jerk.

http://images.comicbookresources.com/yabs/watchmen_pic.gif

Yeah, but Veidt is an asshole.

Neil
08-May-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm hearing NOTHING but positive comments 100% across the board from fans & non fan's alike. I may have to cave & see it....damn it. I just hope I can get over all of my fan boy baggage. Something about the whole reboot/revamp/toss the old continuity still just leaves me sad:(

The characters are generally good! And probably the best aspect of the film.

Against the shakey cam & light effects are over the top, and I'd rather have the camera sit back and let us enjoy the views.

The plot is the weakest element with rediculous oversights and leaps of faith. Shame...

Overall a good flick and hopefully the next time the plot will be better...

Why didn't Mr Romulan Miner , instead of p*$$ing about for tens of years generally picking fights and annoying lots of people, just:-
a) Go back to Romulas and give his race technology far ahead of their time?
b) Give them the red matter and a warning of what was going to happen to the planet, therefore preventing it?

And what do you think Spock would calculate the probabilty of Kirk not only being chucked off the Enterprise, but onto the same planet as Spock, and within the same area, and even happening to go into exactly the same cave as he was in? It's going to have a loooooot of zeros I suspect!

bassman
08-May-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm really excited to see this after all the great reviews. And if it pleases Hellsing...well....that says something because it would be the first.:p

Hopefully I can get someone to babysit the offspring this weekend so I can go see. Don't want to be one of those douchebags that bring their small children into a film for adults...

wayzim
09-May-2009, 12:30 AM
This film rocked!
And I didn't think the plot was any more outrageous than what Lost's been pushing on us.
Truthfully, both Kirk (Pine) and Spock (Quinto) had to do their thing for abit before I could totally embrace them, but Karl Urban grabbed the ring as McCoy, and Uhura (Zoe Saldana ) ... damn.
All the reference to both the original series as well as the Trek movies, sneeze and you miss them without it slowing down the action.
Nice.
Finally, Ben Cross as Sarek, Winona Ryder as Spock's Mommy, and Bruce Greenwood as Captain Christopher Pike ( damn this actor is in alot of movies. ) made the most of their roles.
Keep on Trekkin.

Wayne Z

Exatreides
09-May-2009, 01:50 AM
I enjoyed it, some die hard trekies may not like it, but the guy who sat in front of me and returned spocks live long and prosper salute.

Go see it, worth it for sure.

zombie04
09-May-2009, 01:56 AM
Hopefully I can get someone to babysit the offspring this weekend so I can go see. Don't want to be one of those douchebags that bring their small children into a film for adults...

Oh bassman, if only more parents were like you!

And my take on the movie? Fan-freakin-tastic! I honestly haven't liked a Trek film since Undiscovered Country, but this one really got me into it.

DawnGirl27
09-May-2009, 02:06 AM

I'm still with Moon about the who reboot thing. I'm conflicted, but all the good reviews...don't know. If Moon lived closer could go see it with him and talk smack out loud but maybe secretly like it... :p

ProfessorChaos
09-May-2009, 04:54 AM
...i've got a confession: i've never really gotten into star trek. at all. come to think of it, i've never even really gave it a chance.

i saw one star trek film in a theater with my aunt and uncle once (probably when i was about 10 and was first developing a full-blown zombie obsession), and have never sat through a single episode of any of the numerous star trek television series.(s? that's such an odd word to pluralize).

however, given the large amount of positive reviews this movie's getting, including those coming from longtime fans, i think i'm gonna have to check this movie out this weekend.

MoonSylver
09-May-2009, 05:08 AM
I'm still with Moon about the who reboot thing. I'm conflicted, but all the good reviews...don't know. If Moon lived closer could go see it with him and talk smack out loud but maybe secretly like it... :p

:lol:

I think the crusty old curmudgeon in me IS afraid I'll like it...

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/g/z/1/mccain_get_off_lawn.jpg

capncnut
09-May-2009, 06:41 AM
...i've got a confession: i've never really gotten into star trek. at all. come to think of it, i've never even really gave it a chance.
Tell me about it, Prof. Other than it's sedative properties, I really don't care for Star Trek.

Neil
09-May-2009, 07:42 AM
This film rocked!
And I didn't think the plot was any more outrageous than what Lost's been pushing on us.
Truthfully, both Kirk (Pine) and Spock (Quinto) had to do their thing for abit before I could totally embrace them, but Karl Urban grabbed the ring as McCoy, and Uhura (Zoe Saldana ) ... damn.
All the reference to both the original series as well as the Trek movies, sneeze and you miss them without it slowing down the action.
Nice.
Finally, Ben Cross as Sarek, Winona Ryder as Spock's Mommy, and Bruce Greenwood as Captain Christopher Pike ( damn this actor is in alot of movies. ) made the most of their roles.
Keep on Trekkin.

Wayne Z

Winona Ryder? Just didn't get that! Why use her at all? She was just made to look like an older women for her screen time!!??!

Rottedfreak
09-May-2009, 11:39 AM
They'll probably catch her selling props on Ebay.

EvilNed
09-May-2009, 12:01 PM
I liked the film, but it's not the greatest Star Trek film to date. It was too much of an "origin" story for all the characters, really. All of them got their own intro and their own little gimmick scenes. It was a bit too much for me, because what suffered as a result was the plot and the villain.

It was a good "pilot" for the upcoming series that's sure to come, and that I'll be sure to follow. But, like Nemesis, it was a bit too heavy on the green lasers and shaky cam from time-to-time.

Neil
09-May-2009, 12:19 PM
I liked the film, but it's not the greatest Star Trek film to date. It was too much of an "origin" story for all the characters, really. All of them got their own intro and their own little gimmick scenes. It was a bit too much for me, because what suffered as a result was the plot and the villain.

It was a good "pilot" for the upcoming series that's sure to come, and that I'll be sure to follow. But, like Nemesis, it was a bit too heavy on the green lasers and shaky cam from time-to-time.

I concur... The plot let it down. Did you see my spoiler issues - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showpost.php?p=187074&postcount=8

wayzim
09-May-2009, 12:22 PM
Winona Ryder? Just didn't get that! Why use her at all? She was just made to look like an older women for her screen time!!??!

I see what you're saying, and it was a pretty thankless role, but she made a good stab at some pathos all the same. Can't hold a candle to Jane Wyatt (The original ) but still.

Oh, something else.
Years ago the Trek book publishers (Pocket Books. ) used to run this contest every so often for fans, called Strange New Worlds, where ordinary Joes and Janes could get a story printed in a widepress anthology.
So, though I generally don't do fan fic, I churned out about 5 shorts, a number of which dealt with secondary characters supported by the main people.
One was called Changing of the Guard which dealt with a little remembered Captain of The Enterprise( from a Next Gen eppie called 'Yesterday's Enterprise. ' )
To shorten an already long explaination, our future hero, Rachel Garret, is born aboard a starship under attack by Klingon warbirds as her dad fights to keep everyone alive.
So imagine my surprise when ol J.J. uses the same plot device for his movie, damn! Sometimes it don't pay to be creative.

Wayne Z

"I thought there were two ! " exclaimed the captain and Garret grimaced. "My wife is somewhat indisposed, sir. " he responded as question marks formed in the commanding officers eyes.
"She went into labor almost as the first volleys were fired. " explained the executive officer hastily.

DawnGirl27
10-May-2009, 05:49 AM
Okay...Gave in and saw it with my bro and sis-in-law tonight. Moment of weakness and promises of popcorn. :p
Moon, gotta' say, I liked it. With all my protesting and everything, have to say it was worth the ticket (saw it on the UltraScreen). Shaky camera and weak plot points aside, there was good action, some good humor, and backbuilding on relationships. You could really tell who knew their Star Trek when scattered references to the series popped up and the audience murmurred or laughed (me included). At the end, there was applause (okay, so I clapped, but just a couple times before I caught myself). :D
Have to admit I'll be looking forward to the next one.

Neil
10-May-2009, 10:51 AM
Okay...Gave in and saw it with my bro and sis-in-law tonight. Moment of weakness and promises of popcorn. :p
Moon, gotta' say, I liked it. With all my protesting and everything, have to say it was worth the ticket (saw it on the UltraScreen). Shaky camera and weak plot points aside, there was good action, some good humor, and backbuilding on relationships. You could really tell who knew their Star Trek when scattered references to the series popped up and the audience murmurred or laughed (me included). At the end, there was applause (okay, so I clapped, but just a couple times before I caught myself). :D

Did you know in the series there was the big interacial kiss between Kirk and Uhura - the first ever on screen interacial kiss!

Well, in the original script it was Spock and Uhura, but Shatner asked for it to be changed so it was him instead.

So the film is actually true to the original series script :)

Rottedfreak
10-May-2009, 11:38 AM
star trekkin across the universe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE

Ah this brought back memories!

wayzim
10-May-2009, 12:26 PM
Did you know in the series there was the big interacial kiss between Kirk and Uhura - the first ever on screen interacial kiss!

Well, in the original script it was Spock and Uhura, but Shatner asked for it to be changed so it was him instead.

Excellent.

Additionally, the producers had been worried about how that episode would play in the Southern States, and afterward they got a letter from a good old boy who said "How could it be that a man like Kirk wouldn't want to kiss a lovely lady like Uhura? " (or something like that, pardon my paraphrase )
And all was right with the world ... no, not really.

And yes, part of my happy awakenings as a kid was watching both Uhura and Yeoman Rand on Trek.

Wayne Z

DawnGirl27
10-May-2009, 08:31 PM

Yeah, do remember the episode and the uproar it caused with some. Didn't know it was originally to be with Spock, so thanks for the heads up there... ;)

bassman
11-May-2009, 12:35 PM
I liked the film quite a bit. Good action, comedy, and characters. The new Kirk is one badass motha-fucka. Infinitely cooler than Shatner.*ducks for cover*

One thing I would like to point out is alien creatures that ARENT CGI! The cgi was used to enhance them a wee bit, but it was great seeing creatures physically in the scene. This proves that it still works and George Lucas is a moron.

There were a few minor gripes, but it's a solid film and the whole "reboot"/alternate timeline was a great idea, imo.

Can't wait for the sequel. 9/10

BTW....I laughed out loud when I saw that Tyler Perry guy in the Starfleet meetings. And not in a good way.:annoyed:

MoonSylver
12-May-2009, 04:49 AM

Cool. Glad you liked it.

Hmmm...not so sure I like that...

I liked the film quite a bit. Good action, comedy, and characters. The new Kirk is one badass motha-fucka. Infinitely cooler than Shatner.*ducks for cover*

Nope. Just like in Highlander, there can be only one...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2210/2511436220_985d6b2a6a.jpg

One thing I would like to point out is alien creatures that ARENT CGI! The cgi was used to enhance them a wee bit, but it was great seeing creatures physically in the scene. This proves that it still works and George Lucas is a moron.

That is cool. Not enough practical make up & spfx work these days.

One change that I'm hearing that REALLY makes me NOT want to see it : The destruction of Vulcan?!?!?! WTF?!?!? Spock's culture, heritage, & his homework were always important elements of the character, the Federation, etc. So now we're gonna blow 'em up?!?!?"

Alas, a deal breaker for me. I'm going back on boycott just to spare everyone my fanboy bitching.

SRP76
12-May-2009, 07:25 AM

Yeah, it was one of the dumbest episodes of all time. All about a fucking midget and a group of escapees from ancient Greece that have developed psychokinetic powers. Also featured Spock singing and dancing.

If the audience were easily offended, they wouldn't have even seen the kiss; they'd have changed the channel during the first half-hour of the episode.

RustyHicks
14-May-2009, 12:49 AM
Well I've been hearing great reviews so far about the movie, and although I am not a Trekkie or Trekker die hard fan, I am a fan of the Original series and Next Generation, would be nice to see a new ST movie, been so long since we had a decent ST movie and the last Nemisis movie I just didn't like much,

clanglee
14-May-2009, 02:24 AM
I liked it a lot!! My wife (who instead of carrying around a babydoll when she was little, used to carry her Spock doll everywhere) loved it as well. Sure there were some plot problems, but not by much. It was easy to follow. Exciting, great special effects, and for the most part the characters were well done. 8.5/10

bassman
14-May-2009, 01:20 PM
Star Trek/Wars?

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910892