PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts movie soft spots

capncnut
08-May-2009, 06:57 AM
As many martial arts fans know, with every ten good movies, there's fifty utter gash movies. The purpose of this thread is to dig into those gash movies and admit what ones that you like, and why.

For me, The Old Master sucks but has a spirited performance from Bill Louie, who is quite a nifty fighter in the scheme of things. Also, Kung Fu grandad, Joseph Kuo's (Jackie Chan's real-life master) disco dance to Popeye The Sailor Man, is utterly hilarious.

The Game Of Death 2. Pure Bruce Lee rip-offage but has some incredible choreography courtesy of Yuen Woo-Ping, who was the action-director of The Matrix and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I can suffer it even though it is an unadulterated pile of shat.

Okay, sadness forthcoming, No Retreat, No Surrender - the film is crap, the worst crap you will ever see (perhaps barring Fist Of Unicorn) but the whole Bruce Lee resurrection scene has me in fits. For that one scene alone, it is worth a thousand bucks.

Anyone?

Crappingbear
08-May-2009, 08:32 AM
Well, I'm a bit more modern than traditional martial arts. A bit of muy thai, karate striking, shotokan submissions, judo, or the modern brazillian jui jitsui all works just fine. I'd rather choke out a naysayer than break my knuckles on their skull. Knees and elbows people, not fists.

axlish
08-May-2009, 11:37 AM
Joseph Kuo's (Jackie Chan's real-life master)

I'm not sure who Kuo is, but the only master I even knew Jackie to have was master Yuen from the Chinese opera school (also Sammo, Yuen Wo Ping and Corey Yuen's master). I read his auto and Kuo is not ringing a bell.

One of my favorites is Warriors of Kung Fu starring brutal leg man Cassanova Wong. Basically, the main baddie kills the father of two young twin boys. When they try and attack, he blinds one of them and strikes the other one dumb. For some reason the kids end up separated and wadering the forest for life. Well they eventually find each other and hunt down the baddies one by one, but not before they have a fireside cry (hilarious!). Apparently when dumb folks cry, they howl like wolf lol.

I am pretty big into these types of films, so any film that is something other than folks walking around in the woods is high budget to me :)

capncnut
09-May-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm not sure who Kuo is, but the only master I even knew Jackie to have was master Yuen from the Chinese opera school (also Sammo, Yuen Wo Ping and Corey Yuen's master). I read his auto and Kuo is not ringing a bell.
My bad. It's Yu Jim Yuen. I got the names muddled with the director of the film. :D

DawnGirl27
09-May-2009, 02:10 AM
When I was younger I loooved The Last Dragon. Cheesy as all get out, but I loved the music, the underdog, and there were some good moves. Good times, good times... Sigh :lol:

MoonSylver
09-May-2009, 04:58 AM
When I was younger I loooved The Last Dragon. Cheesy as all get out, but I loved the music, the underdog, and there were some good moves. Good times, good times... Sigh :lol:

"Who's the Master?!?!?!"

http://mantisfists.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/julius-carry-aka-shonuff.jpg

"Sho Nuff!!!"

:D

clanglee
09-May-2009, 08:08 AM
Crippled Masters. . . the most disturbing Kung Fu film ever. Awesome!!!

DawnGirl27
10-May-2009, 05:58 AM
"Who's the Master?!?!?!"

http://mantisfists.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/julius-carry-aka-shonuff.jpg

"Sho Nuff!!!"

:D

:p Oh, yeah!
Heard that a remake is in the works with Samuel L. Jackson to take on Sho' Nuff...

axlish
10-May-2009, 12:32 PM
:p Oh, yeah!
Heard that a remake is in the works with Samuel L. Jackson to take on Sho' Nuff...

I had heard they were working on a sequel, which is long overdue. Since Julius Charles has now passed, I think Busta Rhymes should take on the part.

PKjXc_reiW4

DawnGirl27
10-May-2009, 08:27 PM
I had heard they were working on a sequel, which is long overdue. Since Julius Charles has now passed, I think Busta Rhymes should take on the part.

PKjXc_reiW4

There is a resemblance with Busta...I think he could own the role pretty well.
Good idea, axlish! :cool: