PDA

View Full Version : Let The Right One In...

Neil
09-May-2009, 10:58 AM
Not sure if this has been discussed or not... Any other folks here seen it?

ps: If you watch it PLEASE watch it with the original dutch dialog and use subtitles!!

PJoseph
09-May-2009, 09:11 PM
Yes! Great, great, great film. And we did watch with the original dialogue however apparently the version we watched on DVD had dumbed down English subtitles. And they were SO obvious to people who had viewed the film in theaters that there was a difference that they complained enough to get the DVD a NEW release with the original translation. I saw some site where they put the differences up and it was quite horrible. So, if you go rent it now, they should have a sticker on it that reads "Original Subtitles" Isn't that strange?

I guess they figure the home viewing audience needed an easier read for TVs? No clue.

Regardless of that difference, the film was very good. Great story. If you have a chance, watch some of the making of featurettes (if they are on your DVD) - some of the production gimmicks that went into the making the film are pretty seamless.

pJ

Neil
09-May-2009, 09:45 PM
Yes! Great, great, great film. And we did watch with the original dialogue however apparently the version we watched on DVD had dumbed down English subtitles. And they were SO obvious to people who had viewed the film in theaters that there was a difference that they complained enough to get the DVD a NEW release with the original translation. I saw some site where they put the differences up and it was quite horrible. So, if you go rent it now, they should have a sticker on it that reads "Original Subtitles" Isn't that strange?

I guess they figure the home viewing audience needed an easier read for TVs? No clue.

Regardless of that difference, the film was very good. Great story. If you have a chance, watch some of the making of featurettes (if they are on your DVD) - some of the production gimmicks that went into the making the film are pretty seamless.

pJ

Can I ask you a couple of things:-

*SPOILERS*

- In some scenes the little girls appeared to be an older women? Effective, but what did you feel the meaning of it was?

- Did we ever learn who the old man was who was helping her?

- Did you even get the impression, the old man may have once been just as the young boy was to her now? ie: A previous boy who was in love with her many years ago and spent his life helping her?

PJoseph
10-May-2009, 07:23 PM
Here are my thoughts -

SPOILERS I SUPPOSE

As far as your first question - hmm..I guess I don't recall her looking older. Do you mean, they made her up to be older? I don't really remember.

as for the old man - well, yes he could have been like the young boy once - and I do think that. Although, the film (and from what I hear, more-so in the book - you can check it out the wiki) does give a possible pedophilia story line in there.

pJ

Neil
10-May-2009, 08:08 PM
Here are my thoughts -

SPOILERS I SUPPOSE

As far as your first question - hmm..I guess I don't recall her looking older. Do you mean, they made her up to be older? I don't really remember.

as for the old man - well, yes he could have been like the young boy once - and I do think that. Although, the film (and from what I hear, more-so in the book - you can check it out the wiki) does give a possible pedophilia story line in there.

pJYeh, in some moody shots it almost looks like they used a 30yr old women instead of her... I'm sure of it! Quite disconcerting!

PJoseph
11-May-2009, 06:48 AM
I've been meaning to buy the film, so if I ever do, I will look for that.

I did think the big finale in the pool was one of the best scenes from a horror film in a long time.

pJ

EvilNed
11-May-2009, 07:38 AM
ps: If you watch it PLEASE watch it with the original dutch dialog and use subtitles!!

Excuse me, but... Dutch? As far as I know, this film doesn't feature any original DUTCH dialoge... Swedish dialoge? Yes, that would be more correct.

Get your gibberish-sounding-european languages in order, mister!!!

As for the film, I liked it. It's a very good film, and an interesting setting. However, I kinda found that the film couldn't really decide wether it was a drama or a horror-film and thus kept pendling between both worlds.

Neil
11-May-2009, 10:03 AM
I've been meaning to buy the film, so if I ever do, I will look for that.

I did think the big finale in the pool was one of the best scenes from a horror film in a long time.

pJ

My mate just watched it... And confirmed at times she was 'older'...