View Full Version : "The Road Is the Most Important Movie of the Year"

Neil
12-May-2009, 03:26 PM
http://www.esquire.com/features/movies/the-road-movie-review-0609

bassman
12-May-2009, 04:45 PM
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/3/2/633716020399672810-roads.jpg

:p

seriously though...I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.

MinionZombie
12-May-2009, 05:25 PM
Bassman - noiiice.

Couldn't be arsed to read the whole article, I mean - 4 sodding pages?! :p

Anyway - regardless, I've read the book and I'm so up for the movie. Bring it on, most definitely.

Neil
15-May-2009, 12:07 PM
Trailer! (which I'm not watching!)

Don't forget you can visit the YouTube page and go HQ

MwtaIe1P0Q4

capncnut
15-May-2009, 12:22 PM
Well, it's directed by John Hillcoat, who directed The Proposition, which was incredible. So yeah, I'm up for it. Trailer looks like a cross between The Road Warrior and Deliverance.

Cool. :cool:

Neil
15-May-2009, 12:27 PM
Well, it's directed by John Hillcoat, who directed The Proposition, which was incredible. So yeah, I'm up for it. Trailer looks like a cross between The Road Warrior and Deliverance.

Cool. :cool:

No! Not going to watch it! Can't make me!!! No no no!

DjfunkmasterG
15-May-2009, 12:27 PM
Trailer! (which I'm not watching!)

Don't forget you can visit the YouTube page and go HQ

MwtaIe1P0Q4

Oh that looks BAD ASS. I am so into seeing this flick.

AcesandEights
15-May-2009, 02:43 PM
I read the first page and the last page of the review and didn't feel I missed anything. Let's hope the movie far surpasses the review, as I've only heard good things about the book...though I heard far too much of the ending, I'm afraid :(

Mike70
15-May-2009, 03:42 PM
i read the book (in damn near one sitting) and loved it. i'll probably see the movie too.

the trailer looks decent.

MinionZombie
15-May-2009, 04:56 PM
1) I read the book, and it rocked.

Actually, the reason I read it, was that I got involved in a YouTube collaborative film project called "Road Movie", which was to do with Frieze Film 2008 - it was based on "The Road", and the four short films were shown in October 2008 on Channel 4 under the "3 Minute Wonder" title of programming.

2) That trailer looks super awesome.

Mind you, I'm fed up of this "glitchy footage" schtick - it was old last year, now it's just older.

Also, they seem to have amped up the action elements of the story, or at least that's how the trailer makes it look, in fact the trailer has all that 'action movie slam bang editing' that I'm so sick of these days ... but methinks it's a ploy to get more viewers, as if the film is really like the book, it should be far more sedate and meandering.

3) Woo, Garrett Dillahunt! :)

4) It's a movie of The Road - ergo, AWESOME-AGE.

5) The scene in the book where:
they go into that cellar in the house - which is infact the house of some cannibals - and find a bunch of people tied up, and one has their leg already hacked off (and obviously, it's been eaten), was shocking in the book - stunning rather - that left a real impression, and it was such a well written chunk of the book, it was truly gripping - and it's just words on a page.
There seems to be a shot or two relating to it in the trailer, so hopefully that scene will be as horrifying and gripping as it was in the book.

Bring it considerably on, yes sir! :cool:

Publius
15-May-2009, 07:15 PM
Trailer looks like a cross between The Road Warrior and Deliverance.

Aussie Deliverance? "C'mon mate, squeal like a pig! Crikey, he's got a bonzer of a mouth on him, don't he?"

clanglee
15-May-2009, 09:02 PM
Aussie Deliverance? "C'mon mate, squeal like a pig! Crikey, he's got a bonzer of a mouth on him, don't he?"

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Can't see either the trailer or the article from work. Alas. I am excited about this movie tho!!! I loved the book.

Mike70
15-May-2009, 10:21 PM
"C'mon mate, squeal like a pig! Crikey, he's got a bonzer of a mouth on him, don't he?"

is that a deleted scene from "crocodile dundee?":D:p

thxleo
17-May-2009, 03:07 AM
The film was shot in Pittsburgh, so it has some good karma going for it as well. :)

Neil
04-Sep-2009, 07:54 AM
Five long clips... I'm not watching them as I don't want to know anything (more) about the film until I watch it...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/5-Harrowing-Extended-Clips-From-The-Road-14642.html

MinionZombie
04-Sep-2009, 11:18 AM
Five long clips... I'm not watching them as I don't want to know anything (more) about the film until I watch it...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/5-Harrowing-Extended-Clips-From-The-Road-14642.html
Watched the clips - super awesome.

I can't wait to see this movie!

kidgloves
10-Sep-2009, 08:45 PM
Been pushed back again to November 25th in the US.
Sill listed as Jan 8th in the UK.
Those clips are quality. When i read the book i pictured the world as being a much darker place almost hell like. In the trailer the world just looks ruined si its going to take some adjustment for me when i get to see it.

ProfessorChaos
10-Sep-2009, 09:44 PM
a pal from work was recently talking about what great book this was, and got me interested in the movie...saw the trailer on the big screen last friday night, and two words: i'm there.

will read the book after i see the film, since in most cases the book is better than the screen version.

Skippy911sc
10-Sep-2009, 11:52 PM
I just read the Wikipedia entry on it and I think it ruined the film for me... It actually spoiled the ending...told the whole thing...WTF is wrong with people??? I had not read much on purpose and just wanted some background on the author and novel itself...then pow there it was...

I think I will get the book and read it...oh BTW I saw it was pushed back to Turkey day!

EvilNed
11-Sep-2009, 12:30 AM
The book is great. I recommend it to anyone. Bleak and depressing. Love it.

Neil
11-Sep-2009, 09:18 AM
The book is great. I recommend it to anyone. Bleak and depressing. Love it.

I have the book sitting next to my bed... Just not got around to reading it. And think I'll watch the film first?

MinionZombie
11-Sep-2009, 10:54 AM
I have the book sitting next to my bed... Just not got around to reading it. And think I'll watch the film first?
I read the book last year after I got involved in a YouTube project for Frieze Film 2008 - they were gathering footage to make four 3 Minute Wonder slots (aye, the thing on Channel 4 after the news) inspired by "The Road".

Sounded like my kinda book - bought it - read it - loved it.

Can't wait for the film, the scenes in it feel just like they seemed in the book, especially a certain house with a certain cellar. :rockbrow:

kidgloves
20-Sep-2009, 09:09 PM
Can't wait for the film, the scenes in it feel just like they seemed in the book, especially a certain house with a certain cellar. :rockbrow:

**shivers**

The audiobook is also very good.

ProfessorChaos
27-Nov-2009, 02:27 PM
well, i was planning on catching this one this weekend, but it's apparently getting a very limited release. closest place showing it is actually 20-30 minutes from where i live, but since i'm home for the holiday weekend, looks like i'll be waiting till i get back.:|

MinionZombie
27-Nov-2009, 04:02 PM
Us Brits have to wait till January, I believe...

kidgloves
27-Nov-2009, 07:41 PM
well, i was planning on catching this one this weekend, but it's apparently getting a very limited release. closest place showing it is actually 20-30 minutes from where i live, but since i'm home for the holiday weekend, looks like i'll be waiting till i get back.:|

What the hell!!!
I hope the're doing a slow burn release. This movie is massive to me or is just cause were into post apocalyptic scenarios that it seems it. I thought this would be general release at worst.

clanglee
27-Nov-2009, 07:59 PM
Man it is not playing ANYWHERE around here. And Charlotte isn't exactly a small town. Dammit!!!

ProfessorChaos
29-Nov-2009, 05:30 PM
well, i was absolutely set on seeing it this weekend, but since it got such a small release, i decided to go ahead and pick up the book last night.

i was planning on seeing the film first, cuz in my experience, books are usually way better than movie adaptations and i don't want to be let down. but since i've just finished the book i was reading and needed something new, "the road" it is.

haven't started reading it yet, but plan on diving in later when i get back to my apartment this evening.

EDIT: supposedly, the film was only showing on 111 screens in 31 cities this weekend. wtf? this is like one of the only movies out lately that i'd make the trip to the theater for, and i'm sure i'm not the only person who was planning on checking this one out.

kidgloves
29-Nov-2009, 08:35 PM
I'd say, read the book but leave a bit of time before you see the movie.
I've read the book and listened to the audiobook but I'm still gagging to see the movie.

ProfessorChaos
01-Dec-2009, 01:06 AM
started the book last night and i can already tell it's going to be great.

also found a theater about 30 minutes from my apartment that's currently showing the film, so i imagine that when my ladyfriend comes here for the weekend we'll be taking a drive to check it out.

Skippy911sc
01-Dec-2009, 01:45 PM
I read the book after seeing some of the trailers for the film... Talk about depressing. There is not a theater near me playing the movie... Anyone know if or when there will be a wider release?

kidgloves
01-Dec-2009, 08:49 PM
What the hell is it with the Weinsteins and distribution???
This had better get a decent release over here.

MinionZombie
02-Dec-2009, 10:16 AM
What the hell is it with the Weinsteins and distribution???
This had better get a decent release over here.
Do the Weinsteins have worldwide distribution/distribution in the UK?

I've been wanting to see this flick for a long time now, and watched a bunch of clips that Yahoo Movies posted a while ago and they were great, just how I imagined the book in my head.

I've gotta see this movie.

ProfessorChaos
06-Dec-2009, 04:41 PM
found a theater about 30 minutes from my place that was showing this, so i went with the ladyfriend to check it out last night. don't really have the time/energy to post an in-depth review right now, but in a nutshell, this movie was everything i'd been hoping for and more.

great performances by the entire cast, some awesome cinematography, and very good pacing. it's not exactly action-packed, but there are some very tense moments where the film really sucks you in. it was pretty emotionally invoking, and there were a handful of people wiping tears from their eyes as the end credits began rolling. while i'm only 50 pages or so into the book, the film was very faithful to what i've read so far. i plan on going back for a 2nd viewing sometime soon and will perhaps post a more detailed review later on.

for those anticipating this movie, you will not be let down. i've heard talk about this film holding out its release for contention in the academy awards, and i'd have to say that it's definitely one of the best films out this year and has a good shot at nabbing a few accolades.

easily one of the best films i've seen in a few years, and definitely one that's going in my dvd collection once it hits the store shelves.

anyone else have the chance to see it yet?

Neil
06-Dec-2009, 07:47 PM
found a theater about 30 minutes from my place that was showing this, so i went with the ladyfriend to check it out last night. don't really have the time/energy to post an in-depth review right now, but in a nutshell, this movie was everything i'd been hoping for and more.

great performances by the entire cast, some awesome cinematography, and very good pacing. it's not exactly action-packed, but there are some very tense moments where the film really sucks you in. it was pretty emotionally invoking, and there were a handful of people wiping tears from their eyes as the end credits began rolling. while i'm only 50 pages or so into the book, the film was very faithful to what i've read so far. i plan on going back for a 2nd viewing sometime soon and will perhaps post a more detailed review later on.

for those anticipating this movie, you will not be let down. i've heard talk about this film holding out its release for contention in the academy awards, and i'd have to say that it's definitely one of the best films out this year and has a good shot at nabbing a few accolades.

easily one of the best films i've seen in a few years, and definitely one that's going in my dvd collection once it hits the store shelves.

anyone else have the chance to see it yet?

If I've not read the book yet, should I read it before I watch the movie?

ProfessorChaos
06-Dec-2009, 08:04 PM
well, i'm not quite sure, since i've not finished the book yet. however, as i've stated, i generally feel that movie adaptations of novels are not quite as good as reading the novel itself.

if that's the case with "the road", i'm going to be in for a real treat, since the film was so awesome.

if i were you, i'd check out the movie as soon as possible, even if you've not got around to reading the book yet. hope you like it as much as i did.:)

MinionZombie
06-Dec-2009, 08:39 PM

well, i'm not quite sure, since i've not finished the book yet. however, as i've stated, i generally feel that movie adaptations of novels are not quite as good as reading the novel itself.

if that's the case with "the road", i'm going to be in for a real treat, since the film was so awesome.

if i were you, i'd check out the movie as soon as possible, even if you've not got around to reading the book yet. hope you like it as much as i did.:)

It comes out in January or February here in the UK, so there's still a bit of a wait.

As for me, I read the book last year, and it was ruddy great. Whichever way round you do it - movie first, or second - you can compare one to the other. Do you want to know how the story ends when you begin reading the book, or do you want to see how well the movie adapts the book, and indeed how it might change things, and indeed how it looks in comparison to what you saw in your head when reading the book?

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, having already read the book, and I think that's the best way to do it.

kidgloves
07-Dec-2009, 12:01 AM

Difficult one. Enough time has passed for me. Only the grimness remains in my memory. I would say don't read the book Neil.

DjfunkmasterG
07-Dec-2009, 12:53 PM
So the COnsensus is... See it?

ProfessorChaos
07-Dec-2009, 03:10 PM
so far, it seems i'm the only one who's seen it on these forums, and i heartily recommend it....so that's a 100% yes in my book, especially if you're lucky enough to have it playing in your area.

i plan on taking my dad to see it when it gets a wider release, and i may even go and enjoy it once more by myself as soon as my finals for school are over.

ProfessorChaos
19-Dec-2009, 03:41 PM
looks like a lot more theaters are showing this now. if you guys aren't all falling in line for the avatar craze, this is still a rocking and powerful film you need to see.

just a heads up.;)

MinionZombie
19-Dec-2009, 04:44 PM
Us Brits get it in the beginning of January I think, and then like the week after we get that Denzel Washington movie Book of Eli or whatever, which treads similar territory - so it looks like my cinema going in January is gonna be harsh. :D

kidgloves
10-Jan-2010, 09:17 PM
Right i've seen this now and in a nutshell ITS A MASTERPIECE.
Absolutely stunning piece of work. For those who are wondering about the book, don't read it. Theres no need. Its all on film here.
The desperation.
The world is dying in front of you on screen and you can see and hear it.
The tenderness between the boy and the man against such a harsh enviroment is basically what the book is about and its right up there on the screen. If Viggo doesn't win an Oscar for this then he never will. He's just off the charts in terms of fatherly emotion. Even though i've read the book, i don't mind admitting that i cried 3/4 times during this. Yep. So i wouldn't recommend this as a date movie. Not 1st date anyway.
Its brutal from beginning to end and is possibly the best post-apocalyptic movie i've ever seen. It makes Threads seem like the Teletubbies. The world is fucked and you know that straight away. I said earlier in this thread that i was a bit worried that my perception of the darkness of the world from reading the book would be hard to match but they got it spot on. Its a very very dark grey rather than black world.
Anyway, as you can tell, i really really loved this. Best film i've seen for absolutely ages. It really got the post-apocalyptic juices flowing and virtually everybody here should see it.

Cheers

Mike70
11-Jan-2010, 12:48 AM
Right i've seen this now and in a nutshell ITS A MASTERPIECE.
Absolutely stunning piece of work. For those who are wondering about the book, don't read it. Theres no need. Its all on film here.

i just caught it the other day and was going to rant and rave but here you've saved me the trouble.

i don't get out to the movies much anymore but this was defo worth putting up with people in public that i don't have to.

bleak and desperate is the best way to put it about this flick.

EvilNed
11-Jan-2010, 06:47 AM
Just saw it, and I'm actually, believe it or not, kinda disappointed. Keep in mind, I've read the book and the book was awesome so my expectations were huge.

Minor spoilers below!!!, gonna try to keep it spoiler free. Those of you who've read the book already know what happens so... ,

First things first. This is a good film. It's got some really nice moments. But the problem lies in, I guess, the fact that it's based on a book where not really much happens. The book is so much more about the father/son relationship than this film is and how fragile it is at times (yet beautiful). The book is filled with various segments along their journey on The Road that are memorable. Many of these are in the film, but most of them only for the blink of an eye. The result is that the film feels kinda rushed. Everything moves a bit too fast. The film doesn't ever slow down and let us warm up to the characters.

The best way to describe it, I guess, is this is a film that's 1 hour and 50 minutes long, and it feels as if the rough cut was 2h and 30 minutes and should have stayed that way. As it is, the movies doesn't really capture the grittiness and terrifying world of the book. It comes close, but not all the way.

There are also certain segments and parts about the book that I felt were some of the coolest parts/details and these did not make it into the movie... Unfortunately. Those are:

- The "BBQ" part. One of the parts I was looking forward to the most.
- The whole bit with all the dead fish. That would've been a great visual image.
- The whole bit with the falling ash and their mouthpieces. I thought that was a really nasty detail from the books.

I guess that's it. Really, it's a good film. But I feel that there were many lost oppertunities, given the awesome source material. So I guess that just feels kinda sad. I do not agree that this film makes Threads look like Teletubbies. I think Threads is darker. But The Road book is darker than Threads.

To sum it all up. I think you should see the movie BEFORE you read the book. I think you'll enjoy it more that way.

krakenslayer
11-Jan-2010, 12:37 PM
I just saw the movie last night and it kicked my ass. Absolutely stunning. Normally, I prefer to read the novel first, as it allows me to build up my own conception of the characters, whereas if I see the movie first and then read the book, I can't help but always see those actors and sets in my head when reading it.

However, looking at Ned's comments, in this case I think I did the right thing by watching the movie first.

kidgloves
11-Jan-2010, 10:42 PM
It has been a long time since i read the book but i dont remember the woman featuring much. She's just referred to isn't she? Her role in this choked me a few times.
Stunning.
Can't wait for the blu-ray.

rongravy
12-Jan-2010, 12:09 AM
Still pisses me off that I can't see it yet.
Everybody's saying good things about it. I wanted it on the bigscreen.
I like Viggo.

Danny
12-Jan-2010, 01:15 AM
i saw this earlier today and honestly i didnt dig it too much. there was nothing major that put me off other than viggo mortessens whispering was, at times, too quiet to hear what he was saying. that was a major put off in some scenes.
The biggest problem i had, bear in mind ive not read the book, is that this movies pacing was off. the first half is just sparce exposition between scenes of small disaster which only seemed to have been added in because it looked cool. then a second half with plenty of character progression. it felt off. i reckon the very fact that its set in this end of the world scenario will give it some appeal. but just watching it subjectively it seemed like it was far too long. there was too much of just walking till they see people and viggo accuses them of stalking him. i mean i realize theres pay off for this and its meant to be a right in your face "this man will do anything for his son" but i can only imagine its done better on the page than on screen because i just never cared about these characters because i feel like ive seen more deep, engaging variations of these characters in films, books or even games ive enjoyed in the past.
Honestly i cant really recommend it. its basically a film where a man and his son walk through a devastated environment with things thrown in that just come off as 'what could happen that would be shocking or iconic on screen" but it feels disjointed. i left the screening feeling completely indifferent. i didnt think its bad, dont mistake me its not a bad movie. I just left it with absolutely no major effect from the viewing of it. its odd to put in words but i could care about the plot and if asked if i wanted to see it again i would jsut say "no thanks i didnt enjoy it last time".

though i do want to look up the book, i think that might be much better.

sammylou
12-Jan-2010, 03:29 AM
When I see an adaptation of a book on the screen, I want to have an experience that I could not have while just reading the book. To me, paying $9 to see a film that does not improve the source material or make it a different experience for the screen is kind of a rip off. Such was the case with The Road. While it was excellently made and the acting was good, I just couldn't help but wonder, "Why am I not just rereading the book?"
That said, I realize I am being a tough critic, and would recommend it if you are a true die hard of the book or are just interested in apcocalyptic fiction. (And I have to admit, there are like 6 or 7 shots, at the beginning of a couple of different scenes, that are just of the boy and the father walking in barren wastes that are just breathtaking. Great shots.)

Danny
12-Jan-2010, 08:20 AM
actually i thought of how to sum this up. for anyone whos read the dark tower: the gunslinger, the portion after roland meets jake, the trip through the desert, not the exciting slow mutants or ring of stones parts, or the flashbacks to the town with the shootout,but just that walking through places where everythings dead- THATS the road to a t. it barely showed in flashbacks the movie i wanted to watch, instead it showed us the incredibly boring, semi nihilistic epilogue.

Its like not watching speed, but a film about years later when keanu reeves and sandra bullock, i think she was the chick from speed, and there living as a couple who keep going "man, remember when that bus had to slow down but couldnt?, that shit was crazy" and you only see maybe 5 minutes of speed, the rest is just a boring breakdown of a couple surrounded by a depressing, boring situation.

now that ive reflected on it more i can say the road is a well made movie. but its a dull movie with no major resonance or lasting impact on its audience.

Neil
12-Jan-2010, 09:42 PM
Enjoyed it (if "enjoy" is the right word) - For some reason I didn't quite gel with it as much as I'd hope too. But still a good flick.

With the family at the end, did they have the cart the boy/father had left behind?

EvilNed
12-Jan-2010, 09:46 PM
Neil:

The book makes no mention of it, so I'm assuming no.

kidgloves
12-Jan-2010, 09:55 PM
Enjoyed it (if "enjoy" is the right word) - For some reason I didn't quite gel with it as much as I'd hope too. But still a good flick.

With the family at the end, did they have the cart the boy/father had left behind?

No. They were all carrying satchels.

I totally connected to this film. Im glad a few others did as well.

Neil
13-Jan-2010, 09:15 AM
No. They were all carrying satchels.

I totally connected to this film. Im glad a few others did as well.

I also didn't quite get the significance, if indeed there was any, of why they were following the father/son?

Neil
14-Jan-2010, 02:51 PM
Just had a thought:-

Isn't the ending even more profound? The boy's mother killed herself because she didn't think she/they could survive on the road? The family the boy met proved otherwise - She may had died for nothing.

krakenslayer
14-Jan-2010, 02:57 PM
Just had a thought:-

Isn't the ending even more profound? The boy's mother killed herself because she didn't think she/they could survive on the road? The family the boy met proved otherwise - She may had died for nothing.

Indeed, and also it was the father's lack of trust in the good side of human nature that indirectly brought about his downfall. When they hear the dog barking while they are in the bunker, the father instantly assumes it's raiders/cannibals and doesn't even investigate from afar, despite his son's protestations. He just vacates the premises immediately. Later when the father has died and the son meets the family, and they tell him that they've been on his trail for days, the boy looks at the dog and realises that it was fear of these harmless people that caused his father to vacate the safety of the bunker.

Neil
14-Jan-2010, 03:04 PM
Indeed, and also it was the father's lack of trust in the good side of human nature that indirectly brought about his downfall. When they hear the dog barking while they are in the bunker, the father instantly assumes it's raiders/cannibals and doesn't even investigate from afar, despite his son's protestations. He just vacates the premises immediately. Later when the father has died and the son meets the family, and they tell him that they've been on his trail for days, the boy looks at the dog and realises that it was fear of these harmless people that caused his father to vacate the safety of the bunker.

Yes, but to fair...

A lot of people they encountered would have eaten them, so the father's concerns weren't exactly unfounded. I mean he only had to get it wrong once!

krakenslayer
14-Jan-2010, 03:13 PM
Yes, but to fair...

A lot of people they encountered would have eaten them, so the father's concerns weren't exactly unfounded. I mean he only had to get it wrong once!

Yeah, I agree. I don't think it was some big moral message, but just a little kick-in-the-teeth type twist.

Neil
14-Jan-2010, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I agree. I don't think it was some big moral message, but just a little kick-in-the-teeth type twist.

Going to have to watch it bloody again now :)

Danny
14-Jan-2010, 04:25 PM
i think she intentionally broke off with him in a cruel way to make him harsh, better to live rough than be too trusting in a world full of cannibals.
at least i think that was her train of thought

MinionZombie
14-Jan-2010, 05:41 PM
Damnit, when's this movie gonna come to my nearest Cineworld? :mad:

paranoid101
14-Jan-2010, 09:02 PM
"The Road is the most depressing Movie of the Year"

Watched it last night and god its depressing, don't get me wrong everything about it is really good the acting, special effects etc.

Not a film to watch if your after some entertainment.

But a film to watch if your after a good story and Acting.

Neil
14-Jan-2010, 10:07 PM
Damnit, when's this movie gonna come to my nearest Cineworld? :mad:

It's not on at my local Cineworld either, and only on the smallest screen at my other local.

krakenslayer
14-Jan-2010, 10:11 PM
Cineworld sucks ass. Overpriced food, loud ADD teenagers laughing and talking on their phones through every movie, unhelpful and rude staff, bland choice of films, ignorant people walking out of movies halfway through, etc.

The Road is playing at most small arthouse/cult/independent theatres in the UK, if there's one of those near you, give them your support instead, I say.

MinionZombie
15-Jan-2010, 10:21 AM
Cineworld sucks ass. Overpriced food, loud ADD teenagers laughing and talking on their phones through every movie, unhelpful and rude staff, bland choice of films, ignorant people walking out of movies halfway through, etc.

The Road is playing at most small arthouse/cult/independent theatres in the UK, if there's one of those near you, give them your support instead, I say.
And therein lies the problem. We've got sod all choice around here for cinemas basically, and the only 'art house' type cinema, is actually just a normal cinema (a small one screener, but done up like the old school cinema it once was many moons ago) - which just shows movies that have been out for about a month, and rarely screens something other than the big ticket items.

So I'll just have to wait.

Prime time tickets at my Cineworld at £6.80 - another 10p more expensive now (the pre-5pm likewise went up), so I'm going to try and stick to pre-5pm showings as much as possible from now on - but if I went to the other nearest Cineworld it'd be one or two quid more than that.

Staff wise they're alright. There's a couple of them who are actually quite cool and switched on, while the ones that aren't so switched on are just slow, and only when it comes to serving food - goodness knows why it takes them so long to serve food, and why so few tills are opened for such transactions ... but as I don't buy food at the cinema as it's ludicrously expensive and I don't need the wasted calories, then it doesn't affect me.

As for the audiences, surprisingly, the vast majority of the time there is never any problem. Everybody's very British about it, which is kinda surprising as the area where the cinema is doesn't exactly scream "you'll get a good cinema-going experience here" what with chavs patrolling the dual carridgeway on BMXs and gangs of teenage mums strolling along smoking etc.

But I guess as there's little choice in our area, it brings in all the good people around here too, so that helps. Very rarely has there been a moderate douchebag in a screening I've gone to.

Neil
15-Jan-2010, 11:42 AM
And therein lies the problem. We've got sod all choice around here for cinemas basically, and the only 'art house' type cinema, is actually just a normal cinema (a small one screener, but done up like the old school cinema it once was many moons ago) - which just shows movies that have been out for about a month, and rarely screens something other than the big ticket items.

So I'll just have to wait.

Prime time tickets at my Cineworld at £6.80 - another 10p more expensive now (the pre-5pm likewise went up), so I'm going to try and stick to pre-5pm showings as much as possible from now on - but if I went to the other nearest Cineworld it'd be one or two quid more than that.

Staff wise they're alright. There's a couple of them who are actually quite cool and switched on, while the ones that aren't so switched on are just slow, and only when it comes to serving food - goodness knows why it takes them so long to serve food, and why so few tills are opened for such transactions ... but as I don't buy food at the cinema as it's ludicrously expensive and I don't need the wasted calories, then it doesn't affect me.

As for the audiences, surprisingly, the vast majority of the time there is never any problem. Everybody's very British about it, which is kinda surprising as the area where the cinema is doesn't exactly scream "you'll get a good cinema-going experience here" what with chavs patrolling the dual carridgeway on BMXs and gangs of teenage mums strolling along smoking etc.

But I guess as there's little choice in our area, it brings in all the good people around here too, so that helps. Very rarely has there been a moderate douchebag in a screening I've gone to.My local cinemas do basically half price on Tuesdays, so that's about the only day I go...

krakenslayer
15-Jan-2010, 12:00 PM
what with chavs patrolling the dual carridgeway on BMXs

You have BMX gangs down there!? That's awesome!

It won't be long now:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/JAD51287/tdkblog/warriors_gangs.jpg

EvilNed
15-Jan-2010, 12:01 PM
Can you count, suckers!?

krakenslayer
15-Jan-2010, 12:09 PM
No reason. I just like doing things like that!

MinionZombie
15-Jan-2010, 12:13 PM
You have BMX gangs down there!? That's awesome!

It won't be long now:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/JAD51287/tdkblog/warriors_gangs.jpg
lol ... well it does feel a bit like that when you cross the bridge to the other side of the city (I did that once when I got lost leaving the cinema), but it's not quite that yet ... yet ... they're not organised enough for it, and probably not clever enough ... yet.

:lol:

The Warriors is a freaking awesome movie btw.

krakenslayer
15-Jan-2010, 12:16 PM
lol ... well it does feel a bit like that when you cross the bridge to the other side of the city (I did that once when I got lost leaving the cinema)

When you were trying to get home, did you pass a radio that said:
Be lookin' good, MZ. All the way back to Coney. Ya hear me, baby? Good. Re-e-al good. Adios. :lol:

MinionZombie
15-Jan-2010, 04:46 PM
When you were trying to get home, did you pass a radio that said:
Be lookin' good, MZ. All the way back to Coney. Ya hear me, baby? Good. Re-e-al good. Adios. :lol:
Now that you mention it... :D

rongravy
20-Jan-2010, 03:47 AM
I just saw it tonight. I got there a few minutes late while Viggo was talking so I dunno what caused it all but I definitely liked the movie.
Alot of people said it was kind of slow, but I disagree. I love it when I don't even think about checking my cellfone clock.
I give it an A.
I personally would eat human flesh to survive. Not a problem here.
I wish you knew what caused it all. I'm guessing there were no more animals left? Not even fish to snag? The only thing I saw them eat were bugs.

Mike70
20-Jan-2010, 04:02 AM
I personally would eat human flesh to survive. Not a problem here.

i guess that most of us would, if it came to that.

not something we like to think about but i think most folks would if it were a matter of life and death. but i don't think i'd murder someone just to eat them.

Neil
20-Jan-2010, 08:24 AM
I just saw it tonight. I got there a few minutes late while Viggo was talking so I dunno what caused it all but I definitely liked the movie.

But go out hunting other survivors? That's when it get horrible. There were obviously bands of survivors who lived on finding/hunting/eating other survivors.

Leads to two obvious questions though:-
1) A meat only diet = problems
2) They must realise that the supply will disappear very quickly

When the other survivor (who went for a pee) was being held at gun point, and he was clearly looking at the boy with some interest. Do you think maybe younger flesh tastes nicer than older flesh? :barf:

rongravy
20-Jan-2010, 10:45 PM
But go out hunting other survivors? That's when it get horrible. There were obviously bands of survivors who lived on finding/hunting/eating other survivors.

When the other survivor (who went for a pee) was being held at gun point, and he was clearly looking at the boy with some interest. Do you think maybe younger flesh tastes nicer than older flesh?
The Dad knew he was dying, he was coughing worse than I do when I wake, and bake, up in the morning. He had no choice but to hope to find someone to care for his son after he was gone. Otherwise, I don't think he would've given two shits to find anyone else.

...but i don't think i'd murder someone just to eat them.
Just wait until you look at whoever you're left alive with after enough time starving. It'll be just like in the cartoons, a giant T-bone steak with legs...
And you're sitting there slobbering with a knife and fork in your hands and a nice lil napkin tucked into your shirt.
Mmmm mmmm.:lol:

Neil
21-Jan-2010, 07:50 AM
The Dad knew he was dying, he was coughing worse than I do when I wake, and bake, up in the morning. He had no choice but to hope to find someone to care for his son after he was gone. Otherwise, I don't think he would've given two shits to find anyone else.
Ummm... Good point, but did you answer the wrong comment? ie: You comment seems to make no sense given the text of mine you quotes? I was talking about canabalism...

Skippy911sc
21-Jan-2010, 03:44 PM
Might be spoiler?
......Well not to get to morbid, young deer is more tender than adult, I guess similar to veil. So it could be that the young child would interest them more than the adult, or it was a gross sex thing. either way it is horrible. I was waiting for the squeal like a pig for me line.

rongravy
21-Jan-2010, 03:51 PM
Ummm... Good point, but did you answer the wrong comment? ie: You comment seems to make no sense given the text of mine you quotes? I was talking about canabalism...
Yeah, I misread it. I thought you were talking about the father looking for other survivors. I get you now...

ProfessorChaos
20-Mar-2010, 06:37 AM
according to amazon.com, the dvd will be released may 25th for those of you who missed this one in theaters...

Neil
20-Mar-2010, 09:34 AM
For those that have read then book, the last paragraph baffled me... Anyone care to explain it?

MinionZombie
20-Mar-2010, 11:42 AM
For those that have read then book, the last paragraph baffled me... Anyone care to explain it?
I wasn't quite sure what that last paragraph was about either. Perhaps Wiki, or Google have the answer though? I vaguely remember Wiki'ing it for answers.

SRP76
13-Jul-2010, 09:05 PM
*BIG HUGE BUMP*

I just now finally saw this movie. The DVD came in at the library, so I checked it out.

It was okay. I just don't see what all the worship was about. Nothing special.

I do need some assistance, though. For some silly reason, he audio was utterly horrible. All speech was fainter than a whisper, even with the tv turned up full blast. Of course, sound effects caused the house to tremble.

But since I could only hear about one out of every 10 words spoken, can someone here tell me what the point of their journey was? As in, why are they strolling down the road in the first place?

JDFP
13-Jul-2010, 09:10 PM
But since I could only hear about one out of every 10 words spoken, can someone here tell me what the point of their journey was? As in, why are they strolling down the road in the first place?

The way I understood it is that the dad was dying (and knew he was dying) and he wanted to get the son to somewhere where he wouldn't freeze to death when winter came. My guess is that the "event" that caused everything in society to fall apart was an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP) wiping out all electricity.

(that or Obama was elected to a second term. :D:p).

j.p.

SRP76
13-Jul-2010, 09:15 PM
Ah. So there was no real destination, just a fear that the kid would croak if they stayed put. Alright.

I wondered about that, because amongst all the whispering, I thought I heard "all the animals died" and "all the plants are dead" and "everything is dead" and "we're all going to be dead".:lol: Made me wonder "okay, so where the hell do you think you're going? It's the same wasteland everywhere".

Legion2213
13-Jul-2010, 09:20 PM
There is no reason given for the "end" in the road.

The guy who wrote it has said that scientists (who have watched the movie) say it looks like their idea of what the place would look like after a super volcano going off or a meteor strike.

I need to order this on Blu and watch it. "The book of Eli" also looks like a nice slice of PA goodness. :)

BillyRay
13-Jul-2010, 09:21 PM
I wondered about that, because amongst all the whispering, I thought I heard "all the animals died" and "all the plants are dead" and "everything is dead" and "we're all going to be dead".:lol: Made me wonder "okay, so where the hell do you think you're going? It's the same wasteland everywhere".

They were looking for Dryland.

(too obscure?)

Legion2213
13-Jul-2010, 09:23 PM
They were looking for Dryland.

(too obscure?)

Not for me...oh fuck! Smokers!!!

SRP76
13-Jul-2010, 09:29 PM
At least ol' Viggo didn't have gills. I can count that as a huge positive.

Legion2213
13-Jul-2010, 09:34 PM
At least ol' Viggo didn't have gills. I can count that as a huge positive.

Heh! :D

This was actually on TV a few weeks ago...Dennis Hopper was awesomely over the top in "crazed villian mode", God rest his soul. :)

SRP76
13-Jul-2010, 09:58 PM
There were a couple of parts that made my eyes roll in this movie, though.

Just in case...

The whole "Cannibal House" routine. Gee, we've got a mound of discarded clothing. A bunch of used pots and pans. A fucking barbeque grill set up and well-used. All in the only property within a billion miles that hasn't been ransacked. Wow, I wonder fucking WHY. A 10-year-old kid knew from the start what was up, and all his experience could fit in a flea's suitcase. But ol' Viggo, though, he's slow as fuck on the uptake. It drives me crazy when I can diagnose the scene in 5 seconds, but the main character is just retardedly oblivious to his surroundings.

And something that I thought was odd...

The family "followed" them all along. Well, Viggo & Son were caught up in all sorts of shit, from Deliverance geeks at the start, to Cannibal House, to Humongous' Army killing a woman and her kid, to trees "attacking" them. Now, how in hell did this family and their dog NOT wind up getting spotted and murdered by at least one of these "enemies" along the way, if they were close enough to be watching and following?

krakenslayer
13-Jul-2010, 10:10 PM
Ah. So there was no real destination, just a fear that the kid would croak if they stayed put. Alright.

I guess it was just desperation. The grass is always greener on the other side, there's always the hope that somewhere things are better. Even if you know, logically, that you're probably not going to find any salvation, you just keep moving on in hope because it's the only thing left to do, other than curl up and die.

Legion2213
13-Jul-2010, 10:15 PM
I guess it was just desperation. The grass is always greener on the other side, there's always the hope that somewhere things are better. Even if you know, logically, that you're probably not going to find any salvation, you just keep moving on in hope because it's the only thing left to do, other than curl up and die.

They did the same in "Mad Max II", all they really had to go on were post cards from days gone by showing somewhere nice on the coast, but they still went for it.

SRP76
13-Jul-2010, 10:21 PM
They did the same in "Mad Max II", all they really had to go on were post cards from days gone by showing somewhere nice on the coast, but they still went for it.

I don't remember that at all.:confused:

I thought that movie was about a bunch of people at the refinery, and Humongous and his boys were attacking to get at the gas. And the whole movie was about "oh shit, we're getting attacked".

It's a bit foggy in my memory.

Legion2213
13-Jul-2010, 10:35 PM
I don't remember that at all.:confused:

I thought that movie was about a bunch of people at the refinery, and Humongous and his boys were attacking to get at the gas. And the whole movie was about "oh shit, we're getting attacked".

It's a bit foggy in my memory.

Yeah, they were holding out against The Humongous and his gang while they made enough "guzoline" to transport their entire community to "the promised land" in a convoy of buses and stuff. :)

SRP76
13-Jul-2010, 11:04 PM
Yeah, they were holding out against The Humongous and his gang while they made enough "guzoline" to transport their entire community to "the promised land" in a convoy of buses and stuff. :)

Ah, okay. I thought they were just running out of there to avoid getting slaughtered. "Running the blockade", so to speak.

Mr.G
14-Jul-2010, 12:59 AM
Great book but HORRIBLE movie. Before I watched it I questioned why it didn't get a wider release....but now, I understand.

BillyRay
14-Jul-2010, 02:34 PM
Great book but HORRIBLE movie. Before I watched it I questioned why it didn't get a wider release....but now, I understand.

I never knew Mad Max II was a book.

>huh.<

The things you learn on the Intertubes...

:book: :thumbsup:

Legion2213
15-Jul-2010, 01:06 AM
So, I was getting wholly sick and tired of dipping into this thread and passing the odd comment without actually having seen the movie and procrastinating about grabbing it on BD sooner or later...so I did the next best thing and DL'd a good quality version last night and watched it early hours of the morning.

Jesus Christ! What a grim film...it was like a tripple decker grim sandwich with extra layers of grim for good measure!

I definitely want to own this on Blu-Ray (although it will be more like Grey-Ray with this flick). It really did convey a sense of utter hopelessness when you looked at the landscape. The father son interaction was really well done IMO, it wasn't preachy and there was no bullshitting about morals and the American way or any other pointless stuff...the dad was just trying to set his son up for survival without turning him into one of those canibal scavenger types. There was at least one WTF? moment for me, but on the whole, this was a great movie...a genuinely brilliant work in the PA genere as far as I am concerned. I probably need to sit back and digest what I watched before making more comments (probably watch it again in the week as well), but for now, I am saited and pretty happy I watched it.

(I got the unabridged audiobook while I was at it, so I will listen to that as well and compare it to the movie).

MinionZombie
15-Jul-2010, 10:29 AM
Glad you dug it, Legion.

Also, The Road is really only partly about an apocalypse. The book is really about the father & son. It's a book for fathers, and a book for sons. It's a father/son story that just so happens to be set against an apocalypse.

For the fathers in the audience it shows the undying devotion that a father will give their son and plays on a father's fears of how their son will cope when they're gone, and to the sons in the audience it shows what a father will do for a son, and it plays on fears of losing your father.

So it's a very powerful story, amplified by the - as you say - utterly hopeless background.

The Book of Eli, as cool a movie as it is, is still a "movie apocalypse" ... The Road, on the other hand, is just the apocalypse. No factions with steam-punk style, no Mad Max action sequences, just a desperate endurance trudge through a dying/dead world in the hope that there is a sliver of chance for survival out there - keeping the fire alive, as they say in the film/book.

Neil
15-Jul-2010, 10:47 AM
Glad you dug it, Legion.

Also, The Road is really only partly about an apocalypse. The book is really about the father & son. It's a book for fathers, and a book for sons. It's a father/son story that just so happens to be set against an apocalypse.

For the fathers in the audience it shows the undying devotion that a father will give their son and plays on a father's fears of how their son will cope when they're gone, and to the sons in the audience it shows what a father will do for a son, and it plays on fears of losing your father.

So it's a very powerful story, amplified by the - as you say - utterly hopeless background.

The Book of Eli, as cool a movie as it is, is still a "movie apocalypse" ... The Road, on the other hand, is just the apocalypse. No factions with steam-punk style, no Mad Max action sequences, just a desperate endurance trudge through a dying/dead world in the hope that there is a sliver of chance for survival out there - keeping the fire alive, as they say in the film/book.

Damn you for putting it so perfectly!! :)

JDFP
15-Jul-2010, 01:47 PM
Jesus Christ! What a grim film...it was like a tripple decker grim sandwich with extra layers of grim for good measure!

(I got the unabridged audiobook while I was at it, so I will listen to that as well and compare it to the movie).

Best. Review. Ever. -- at least for "The Road".

I have to give a shout out to Cormac McCarthy, the man who wrote the book the film is based on as well as "No Country For Old Men" -- he's a Knoxville native just as I am and my grandpa knew him fairly well back "in the day".

j.p.

Danny
25-Apr-2012, 01:01 PM
Okay, bumping a 2 year old thread to say i just rewatched the road and what the shit. The blu ray is a totally different cut to what i saw a couple of years ago!
halfway through now but things i noticed:

-all the rivers are cgi'ed green in nighttime shots intimating its clearly something radioactive in origin behind the fall of society.
-far more lingering shots on things like a hanging family in a shed that emphasis how unattached to the world the son is.
-more shots of theron showing she lived a very privileged life beforehand and was suffering from a severe depression after a traumatic childbirth which lead to her being unable to cope.
-a scene where the son asks the dad if they would never eat people and he says no, but then looks at his hands for a second to see them shaking, which is a common movie trope to show someones eaten human meat before.
-you can actually hear viggo as more than whispers

from what ive read online there was some shitty cuts doing the rounds a few years back with bad audio and lots of cuts taken to remove some shots. that sounds like what i watched the first time way back. What i just watched was a very different viewing experience and a much better film. it had pacing, there was more stuff in the first half this time and lot less fast cuts.
I enjoy it way more and it pisses me off that my first viewing was with such a shitty cut that coloured my opinion of the film in ways i can say seem pretty unfair now that ive seen this far superior cut.

MinionZombie
25-Apr-2012, 05:32 PM
^^^
I take it that's the same version on the DVD ... I must re-watch The Road, been meaning to for a while now ... I really dig the movie. It's incredibly bleak - as I've always said, The Book of Eli (which came out around about the same time, damn close in fact) is the 'movie apocalypse', it's the cool apocalypse with sweet hand-to-hand combat, stylish cinematography etc, and The Road is flat out the apocalypse ... there's no hope, it's ever-so bleak, every single moment in that world is an unparalleled struggle, and probably much more like how a real apocalypse would actually turn out.

Have you read the book? I think it's better than the film, but the film is still rather good. I keep telling my Dad he should read the book, but he keeps saying no because it's just too bleak, hehe.

I remember seeing it in the cinema and these two tween-age boys snuck into the screening towards the end of the movie (having clearly been to see something else prior), and it made me chuckle, because it's so bleak and serious that it's totally not what those kids would have been hoping for/expecting (whereas The Book of Eli would have been more like what they'd be expecting/wanting).

Danny
25-Apr-2012, 06:07 PM
The books on my kindle, but ive got 27 pages of books on it right now to read.

Speaking of im reading the hot zone, about 4 cases of viral amplification that has remained largely unknown that could have caused a worldwide pandemic. Like a shut in in washington dc in the 80's who died of the ebola virus and only because he was isolated due to being a shut in the virus couldnt find a new host organism to replicate in and died in the air of his sealed apartment. To this day its apparently not well known.
Stephen king called it the scariest book he has ever read and for a piece of factual none fiction its kinda horrifying stuff.

So most of you will probably find it riveting :lol: