PDA

View Full Version : Television

rightwing401
13-May-2009, 05:09 PM
Just remembered an old story that I wrote about zombies veging out in front of a t.v. So I'm curious, do any of you think that a zombie could become mesmerized by a working television? That it could be fooled into thinking a human image on a screen is a real person? Or that a show or program with a lot of crazy flashes and odd colors mixed with wild and bizare noises could distract it enough to keep it from noticing a human?

Publius
13-May-2009, 05:26 PM
Seems plausible to me. Not foolproof, but it seems like all three of those would work for at least some zombies some of the time. Especially a nice big hi-def TV: how's a zombie gonna know it from a window? ;)

AcesandEights
13-May-2009, 05:48 PM
Sure it sounds plausible. It all depends on the rule set one is working with in the fictional zombie universe in question.

For example, just on the topic of sensory info and processing for the zombies in question, one might want to ask: do the zombies depend on sight primarily, sight and smell, some other 'supernatural' or super-scientific rationale etc.

darth los
13-May-2009, 06:26 PM
Sure it sounds plausible. It all depends on the rule set one is working with in the fictional zombie universe in question.

For example, just on the topic of sensory info and processing for the zombies in question, one might want to ask: do the zombies depend on sight primarily, sight and smell, some other 'supernatural' or super-scientific rationale etc.

Well, there's something sophisticated happening with their senses. After all, they don't just attack anything and eat it. We know that they "hunt" by hearing and by their sight. (I'm assuming, as always, we're dealing with Romero ghouls here). I don't believe it was ever shown a ghoul ever smelling something though. If they could do you really think they would want to be in close proximity to each other? :lol: Or, maybe that's exactly WHY they don't eat each other. :confused:

As a matter of fact the only time I can remember that happening in is in ROTLD 2. So who knows.

:cool:

3pidemiC
13-May-2009, 06:37 PM
They trained the zombies via TVs in the original Day script, right?

Thorn
13-May-2009, 07:58 PM
I do not think they would be fooled by TVS, I think they might be interested in them and some might have memory of them in there somewhere. I do not however think you could bait zombies away from real humans with them.

Not in the GAR universe. They do not attack each other, they do not attack dolls or mannequins. I think they are drawn to attack their prey by some other instinct or combination of them.

BillyRay
13-May-2009, 08:06 PM
Maybe it's like the Living Dead being drawn to the mall in "Dawn"; if something had enough importance in your life, you'll be drawn to it in your unlife.

Considering the amount of Couch Potatoes in the U.S., we really have nothing to worry about from Roamers once the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse comes.

MoonSylver
13-May-2009, 10:31 PM
I could definitely see some getting mesmerized by one (you all really must see "Dead Set" ASAP...), but I don't think they're gonna be fooled by it. As stated above, same pretext as the mall: this was an important part of their lives.

MaximusIncredulous
13-May-2009, 10:55 PM
They do not attack each other, they do not attack dolls or mannequins.

There is one zombie in Dawn 78 that grabs the face of a mannequin which looks like an attempt to pull, what it thinks is, flesh off of it.

A TV might have a distractive effect to it if it featured images of active humans in "living" color.

rightwing401
22-May-2009, 07:37 PM
I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who put out their thoughts and opinions. I think that I can come to the agreement that the living dead can be drawn to a working television if there are no humans around, but nothing can overcome that primordial instinct to consume warm flesh.

bassman
22-May-2009, 09:25 PM
Not in the GAR universe. They do not attack each other, they do not attack dolls or mannequins.

There's a zombie that fools around with a mannequin in Dawn....

I think the tv could work in the same way that the "sky flowers" worked in Land. Just something colorful to get their attention for a short while.

If it were Dawn04, all the zombies would be watching exercise shows on the tube. Got to get that superhuman power from somewhere.:p

sandrock74
23-May-2009, 12:21 AM
I think the tv could work in the same way that the "sky flowers" worked in Land. Just something colorful to get their attention for a short while.

Exactly what I was going to say! I think that televisions would have a short term distracting effect on zombies...nothing too permanent.

darth los
26-May-2009, 04:31 PM
Exactly what I was going to say! I think that televisions would have a short term distracting effect on zombies...nothing too permanent.

But the real question is WHy are they being distracted?

Is it because They are simply curious about this glowing box? Or are they realy fooled into thinking that there are actually people on there.

MoonSylver
26-May-2009, 05:00 PM
But the real question is WHy are they being distracted?

Is it because They are simply curious about this glowing box? Or are they realy fooled into thinking that there are actually people on there.

I don't think they would think they were actual people. (After all, we see no signs of them attacking mannequins, which it seems to me they would be a least as likely to mistake for a real person)

I think they would be drawn to a TV for a couple of reasons. First just the flickering, glowing, moving lights, but more importantly, it's something familiar & comforting from "before", something that was an important part of their lives (as was the mall)

If you ever get the chance, check out the BBC mini series "Dead Set". There's some sly commentary in there on our obsession w/ television (reality tv in particular) that is on par w/ the consumerism commentary in Dawn.

darth los
26-May-2009, 07:40 PM
If you ever get the chance, check out the BBC mini series "Dead Set". There's some sly commentary in there on our obsession w/ television (reality tv in particular) that is on par w/ the consumerism commentary in Dawn.

I keep hearing you guys rave about this series but I have yet to watch an episode. It's starting to sound like a must see. Anyone know if netfilx carries it? Or how i can see it another way?

MoonSylver
26-May-2009, 11:40 PM
I keep hearing you guys rave about this series but I have yet to watch an episode. It's starting to sound like a must see. Anyone know if netfilx carries it? Or how i can see it another way?

Right now the DVD is only available in an R2. If your player plays R2 or is region free (or can be converted as such w/ the codes online) you can buy it HERE:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Set-DVD-Jaime-Winstone/dp/B001CMV1GM

You can also watch it on Youtube starting HERE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxqZnAXuv7A&feature=PlayList&p=E4E3B4CCC3EFE42C&index=0

(embedding disabled)

zombiekiller
08-Jun-2009, 06:00 PM
Just remembered an old story that I wrote about zombies veging out in front of a t.v. So I'm curious, do any of you think that a zombie could become mesmerized by a working television? That it could be fooled into thinking a human image on a screen is a real person? Or that a show or program with a lot of crazy flashes and odd colors mixed with wild and bizare noises could distract it enough to keep it from noticing a human?

that happened in return of the living dead 2. when they broke into this house and was fighting with one of the main people they landed on the remote and the t v turned on and had some lady excerising on tv and it stopped fighting and started watching it. it was funny.

Rancid Carcass
08-Jun-2009, 07:12 PM
that happened in return of the living dead 2. when they broke into this house and was fighting with one of the main people they landed on the remote and the t v turned on and had some lady excerising on tv and it stopped fighting and started watching it. it was funny.

You know it is a scientifically proven fact that there is absolutely nothing funny about ROTLD part 2. :lol:

darth los
09-Jun-2009, 04:51 PM
You know it is a scientifically proven fact that there is absolutely nothing funny about ROTLD part 2. :lol:

The only bigger letdown from a sequel would have to be evil dead 2. Both of those are steaming turds not worthy of their predecessors and fell way short of the bars that were set by those films.

BillyRay
09-Jun-2009, 07:18 PM
Really?

You hate Evil Dead 2 that much?

Really?

Don't even like the extended bit with the severed hand?

Wow. Takes all kinds of 'pinions.

Really?

(personally, I love that film...LOVE. IT.)

darth los
09-Jun-2009, 07:45 PM
Really?

You hate Evil Dead 2 that much?

Really?

Don't even like the extended bit with the severed hand?

Wow. Takes all kinds of 'pinions.

Really?

(personally, I love that film...LOVE. IT.)

If i watch it for what it is it's o.k. But when compared to the original it comes off as a campy/cheesy horror/comedy film.

But unlike others here I won't hold it against you. You're entitled to love any turd you please. :p

And for the record there are others here that Rave about that film as well.

BillyRay
09-Jun-2009, 08:21 PM
If i watch it for what it is it's o.k. But when compared to the original it comes off as a campy/cheesy horror/comedy film.

But unlike others here I won't hold it against you. You're entitled to love any turd you please. :p

And for the record there are others here that Rave about that film as well.

At least I won't feel so alone...

The cheesy is why I love ED2: Dead by dawn. It's the bridge between the original, spine-chilling Evil Dead & the Stooges-inspired lunacy that is Army of Darkness.

I just wish Mr Raimi didn't feel the need to retell the whole story each time...

darth los
09-Jun-2009, 08:31 PM
At least I won't feel so alone...

The cheesy is why I love ED2: Dead by dawn. It's the bridge between the original, spine-chilling Evil Dead & the Stooges-inspired lunacy that is Army of Darkness.

I just wish Mr Raimi didn't feel the need to retell the whole story each time...

Thnx for the insight.

You know I never really looked at it as a bridge between the films before. It makes total sense.

Good job!! :thumbsup:

As to your final comment, yes constant retelling are maddening.

It's not so obvious but it happens in zombie movies as well. And by retelling I mean the whole start of the outbreak scenario where people are in denial/disbelief and it takes them half the damn flick for some einstein to figure out that you have to shoot them in the head.

I'd much rather watch the mid to latter stages in the outbreak scenario.

BillyRay
09-Jun-2009, 09:03 PM
"I'd much rather watch the mid to latter stages in the outbreak scenario."

At this point in Cine-zombie History, I agree. Even Uncle George had difficulty sparking much interest in an Outbreak Scenario with his last outing.

I suppose that's why I liked the approach taken with Walking Dead or 28 Days Later (I know, I know, not technically a zombie film). Where the point-of-view character is out of the action for the initial outbreak. They have to make sense of a horribly changed world.

But we're digressing....

So what would a zombie watch on TV, assuming they had an opinion?

krakenslayer
09-Jun-2009, 09:31 PM

Yeah, it's not a great movie, but I actually found it a lot funnier and more entertaining that the first movie in the series. Honestly, ROTLD was fucking cringe-worthy - most of the movie is just people running around rooms screaming stuff at each other. The only comedy I can see in it is the dialogue like "Send more paramedics" and "Like this job??", and all those supposedly 'funny' lines that just... weren't.

Actually the third movie is my favourite, because it takes the series in a whole new direction and goes for a fucked-up love story where the only humour is in the darkly grotesque splatter, and it isn't done with an awkward "self-referential" tone.

And yes, a zombie would probably stop and stare at a TV screen for a while, as a minor distraction. Probably because it would remember it from life.