PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Hopkins returning as Hannibal Lecter

DjfunkmasterG
15-May-2009, 05:15 PM
Hopkins To Feast As Hannibal Again
15 May 2009 5:00 AM, PDT

Sir Anthony Hopkins is teaming up with director Sir Ridley Scott to bring his most infamous villain Hannibal Lecter back to the big screen.

The actor will reprise his cannibalistic serial killer for the fourth time in a second sequel to the 1991 hit film The Silence of the Lambs, for which he won a Best Actor Oscar.

Hopkins also appeared in 2001's Hannibal before starring in the 2002 prequel Red Dragon.

And actress Cate Blanchett has been tipped to take over the role of Clarice Starling after Jodie Foster pulled out to direct Claire Danes in the forthcoming Flora Plum.

A spokesperson for film-makers Universal says, "Hopkins and Scott are both very committed. We like what we've got, and the revised script is really, really good."

Also made note in the Gore thread.

AcesandEights
15-May-2009, 05:31 PM
I can see it now...

Dr. H. Lechter: "Hello Clarice. Care to change this decrepit oldsters depends?" *Makes that Fava Bean/Chianti sound.*

:rolleyes:

ProfessorChaos
15-May-2009, 09:19 PM
i also think that while hopkins has done a great job with this role and he's an overall amazing actor, it's about time he hangs this character up.

capncnut
16-May-2009, 12:36 AM
I thought all of Thomas Harris' books had been done already?

Crappingbear
16-May-2009, 02:33 AM
I thought all of Thomas Harris' books had been done already?

They have. So.....either the franchise continues without Harris or he gave them script approval. A one hand, geriatric lector isn't of interest.

By the way I much prefer the subtle, realistic lector from the great old Michael Mann movie Manhunter. The Will Graham character is tons more interesting than the Starling character and English acting great Brian Cox plays Lector with totally believeable lethal menace. He only has a couple short scenes but is scarier than all of Hopkins scenery chewing combined.

Dtothe3
16-May-2009, 03:13 AM
I have to say, referencing the book, it should have ended with the books. I wish the studio had kept to the books, the films would have been much the better for it.

MoonSylver
16-May-2009, 03:35 AM
They have. So.....either the franchise continues without Harris or he gave them script approval. A one hand, geriatric lector isn't of interest.

Shoulda stuck w/ the book ending...that's all I'm saying. Probably woulda had movie going ripping up the seats & burning down the theater, but seriously, the book ending blew my mind. Had to go back & re-read it again immediately afterward just to make sure I got it right. Seriously twisted stuff. Hannibal is such a departure from SotL. It gets REALLY psychedelic, but I like it.

capncnut
16-May-2009, 11:41 AM

By the way I much prefer the subtle, realistic lector from the great old Michael Mann movie Manhunter. The Will Graham character is tons more interesting than the Starling character and English acting great Brian Cox plays Lector with totally believeable lethal menace. He only has a couple short scenes but is scarier than all of Hopkins scenery chewing combined.
Quite agree with you. Manhunter was awesome and totally underrated. I liked Cox's Lector. I like Hopkin's Lector too (especially in Silence) but now he's a bit of a cartoon character.

And yeah, a generic Lector without a Harris story? Not interested.

MinionZombie
16-May-2009, 04:16 PM
I'd much rather see Scott do a new Alien movie (as was recently suggested).

Manhunter is awesome, Silence is awesome, Hannibal I've only seen once and wasn't too fussed about, Red Dragon was just Lambhunter (but enjoyable enough), and I didn't go anywhere near Hannibal Rising (which just looked like complete and utter pish that trampled all over the canon).

I'd have to re-watch Hannibal to see if I'm even remotely interested in a follow-up to it ... but methinks I won't be fussed.

Manhunter, and Silence of the Lambs, is really where it's at - and that's enough for me.

AcesandEights
16-May-2009, 05:27 PM
I didn't go anywhere near Hannibal Rising (which just looked like complete and utter pish that trampled all over the canon).

I recently saw Hannibal Rising on a lark and thought it was decent enough. Killed a rainy afternoon well enough. I liked a few of the smalltime actors in it and I felt most of them did a passable job. Don't know about what is and is not cannon, however.

Manhunter, and Silence of the Lambs, is really where it's at - and that's enough for me.

Good stuff, to be sure.

Crappingbear
17-May-2009, 12:00 AM
Silence was good but I liked Manhunter better. The scenes if Graham walking through the murder house in the dark to get the "feel" for the killer and what he was thinking was very good. Same for the scene of him in a diner while its raining and his brain is whirring. The Graham scenes are what makes the movie great, not really the killers scenes.

I didn't like the Red Dragon remake and felt Nortons performance was completely bland in comparison to the original in Manhunter.

Hannibal was goofy in that it gave Lector almost Lex Luthor style brilliance and turned him into a knife master. Lets get real, he is a tubby little doctor about 60 years old and not a ninja.

bassman
17-May-2009, 12:27 AM
Just a rumor (http://joblo.com/index.php?id=26553).

ProfessorChaos
17-May-2009, 03:11 AM
^

good deal, lucile.

kortick
18-May-2009, 06:19 PM
I doubt this seriously.

As far as I recall, Hopkins said
years ago he was done with Lecter.
Now hes 71, I cant see him changing his mind.

Plus the fact that Thomas Harris has got nothing
to do with this project also sends up flags.

And I agree, if they had the balls to film the ending
of Hannibal as it was in the book, then there would be
no more Lecter stories. Harris wrapped it all up in a
most disturbing way to a lot of people. And cutting the
lesbian sister out of the movie was a big mistake too.
Her relationship with Barney was important and it also
showed that Mason was truly twisted.

Anyways....

Most sites are calling this "rumor out of control"
and are looking for any verification.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41096

Hollywood is capable of doing things they want
by tossing as much $$$$$ at people as it takes.

So this could get made.
But that doesnt mean the film will be good.

Whats needed is for Thomas Harris to get off his
fat beached whale ass and write another original novel.

Thats what happens when great writers get famous in
Hollywood (King), all they think about is which company will option it
and how much will I get? and Ooh will there be a sequel????
Yeah, Like Hannibal Rising wasnt written so it could be a movie.

Sit your fat pig like ass down in front of your computer
Harris and poke those greasy sausage like fingers around til u get
another book out that dont reek of Hollywood trash.

Myself and other fans of your work who first read Black Sunday,
long before you brought Will Graham and Francis Dolorhyde, and
a background charecter named Lecter along in Red Dragon are waiting
for a real novel.

"I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."

MoonSylver
18-May-2009, 10:25 PM
And I agree, if they had the balls to film the ending
of Hannibal as it was in the book, then there would be
no more Lecter stories. Harris wrapped it all up in a
most disturbing way to a lot of people.

I wonder about that often. IS Harris done with Lecter? The way that one ended was SO open ended it almost seemed like it had "sequel" written in, as it leaves you REALLY wondering "what happens next"?