PDA

View Full Version : MZ's Top 50 Favourite Movies Ever...(Completed 22nd May 2009)

MinionZombie
17-May-2009, 06:50 PM
As I've reached 300 posts on my blog, and as a few months back I finally cobbled together a Top 50 (with a further 10 honourable mentions), I've decided to do a series of posts on my top movies of all time - starting with the honourable mentions, and then ultimately ascending towards the Top 10.

For each one I've written a little bit about why I like the film so much. This list goes up to the end of 2008, and obviously can only include the movies that I've seen up to that time.

There will be six blogposts covering my top films of all time - all time being up to the end of 2008, that is.

Each post will list 10 films - a Top 10, Top 20, Top 30, Top 40 and Top 50, plus an "Honourable Mentions" 10 ... however, while these segments of ten are in an order, the films within each 'block of ten' are not in any particular order - it was as close as I could get. With a personal collection of almost 1,500 films (at the time of writing), it's the best I could do - it was simply hard enough just getting the 'blocks of ten' organised!

Part One:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2009/05/favourite-ever-movies-part-1.html

I thought you folks might be interested, and have your own comments on the movies listed.

I'll be looking to continue this short series of posts on my blog over the coming days.

Craig
17-May-2009, 11:45 PM
Who doesn't love a nice list :D

Looking at your 'didn't quite make it' ten films I'm very interested to see what did in fact make it onto your list. I like to think of myself as a bit of a 'film fan' and would like to review some of my favourites as well but I think my tastes are just a bit too narrow for many people to be interested in reading them :lol:

capncnut
17-May-2009, 11:56 PM
No 2001?

May your cock wither and die...

MinionZombie
18-May-2009, 09:36 AM
No 2001?

May your cock wither and die...
Hold onto your foreskin there Capn, there's still that actual Top 50 list to come - in which there are two Kubrick films.

The criteria I set myself for the list were, vaguely, as follows:

1) Ideally I should have seen the movie more than once.
2) The movie should hold a special place in my movie-loving heart.
3) The movie should be so good that I can really only describe how awesome it is by making a exhaling/gasping sound...a sound that suggests "it's just that awesome."

AcesandEights
18-May-2009, 04:15 PM
I have to agree with you on a lot of your picks in this outing, MZ. Seven, American History X, Animal House & The Warriors are all either ballbusting classics or have something of true merit about their production or message. Likewise, to me, LotR was herculean film making and incredibly well accomplished despite a few minor niggles.

As far as Vanishing Point, I have yet to give it a look despite all the love Tarantino slavishly flung at it in Grindhouse.

Now, In Brugges, I have to give a decent chance. The last time I sat down to see it I had too much going on to get into it, but I've only ever heard good things about it.

MinionZombie
18-May-2009, 04:47 PM
I'll be looking to do the next instalment tonight - #41 through #50.

Check back in a couple of hours for that. :cool:

As for Vanishing Point - that movie is just so cool. :)

Okay folks, here are numbers 41 through 50 (in alphabetical order, as I'm incapable of ordering my list that tightly - blocks of ten is the best I can do, hehe).

Part Two:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2009/05/top-50-favourite-movies-ever-part-2.html

The first on the list of this 'ten block', is All The President's Men.

MinionZombie
19-May-2009, 06:45 PM
Righty-ho chaps and chapettes, 31 through 40 (in alphabetical order) tonight.

Part Three:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2009/05/top-50-favourite-movies-ever-part-3.html

The first one on the list is, I'm sure, one Capn will be pleased to see on there. ;)

capncnut
19-May-2009, 07:08 PM
The first one on the list is, I'm sure, one Capn will be pleased to see on there. ;)
That's more like it, son. :D

So 2001 is ranked 31, eh? It will be interesting to see what no. 1 is...

AcesandEights
19-May-2009, 07:26 PM
American Psycho, Invasion of the Body Snatchers -- Nice!

Sunshine, No Country for Old Men...understandable to see on your list.

Rambo 2008...okay, sure...I guess.

WALL-E...okay, I've not seen this yet, but things seem to be getting shakier.

United 93, The Money Pit and Friday the 13th Part IV...now you officially crossed into WTF territory ;)

You did say top 50 and not top 500, right MZ? :D

MinionZombie
19-May-2009, 07:44 PM
So 2001 is ranked 31, eh? It will be interesting to see what no. 1 is...

No, it's just that I'm doing these 'blocks of ten' (i.e. 1 through 10, 11 through 20, 21 through 30, 31 through 40, 41 through 50) in alphabetical order as I'm incapable of putting any further numerical order to any of these films - the best I can do is make five ordered blocks of ten.

So, in other words, 2001 comes somewhere in the 31 to 40 range ... where exactly I just don't know, I simply can't be that precise. :D

But what I definitely do have is a #1 - it'll still be listed alphabetically when I come to write about the top ten, as there's no sense in setting it apart when I've done all the others alphabetically in blocks of ten ... or is that just me being OCD-ish? Regardless, I know it makes sense to me, and that's good enough, haha.

So aye, I have a number 1, but I can't fix any real numbers on any of the other 49 ... that's the problem - like I've said, the best I can manage is blocks of ten, and each block is ordered.

Aces - well, this is my Top 50 - and the films are chosen for various reasons, and fall under certain criteria for being picked - and well, if my little explanations under each title aren't enough, then tough titties. :lol::D:p

Speaking of which, if anyone else wants to join in with their top tens or whatever, then by all means.

AcesandEights
19-May-2009, 07:54 PM
Aces - well, this is my Top 50 - and the films are chosen for various reasons, and fall under certain criteria for being picked

I know, brah. Just giving you a hard time :)

if my little explanations under each title aren't enough, then tough titties. :lol::D:p

:moon: :D

I like the explanatory details provided. I mean, the elaboration is what makes it interesting, ya know? For example, I haven't seen All the President's Men in...maybe 20 years, so now I want to see it again, as I don't think I can remember anything of note about it.

bassman
19-May-2009, 09:36 PM
Rambo? F*cking Rambo in a top 50? Ugh.

I'll never understand some people.:annoyed:

Good call on The Burbs, though. That's a childhood favorite of mine, as well.

SRP76
19-May-2009, 10:45 PM
Rambo is certainly more deserving than bullshit like The Warriors or 2001.

I like some of the movies on the list, but others I have no desire to ever watch again.

capncnut
20-May-2009, 03:50 AM
Rambo? F*cking Rambo in a top 50? Ugh.
The same could be said for Ghostbusters. Each to their own, I guess.

Rambo is certainly more deserving than bullshit like The Warriors or 2001.
Blasphemy! :mad:

But to reiterate, each to their own, I guess.

bassman
20-May-2009, 11:12 AM
The same could be said for Ghostbusters. Each to their own, I guess.

Dude....I will swim across the ocean, track you down, and beat your ass!:p

Really though...when I tell people my favorite film is Ghostbusters or that I love Romero's films, I get one of these looks: :|. So I guess all of us here at HPotD have strange taste...

DjfunkmasterG
20-May-2009, 12:48 PM
As I've reached 300 posts on my blog, and as a few months back I finally cobbled together a Top 50 (with a further 10 honourable mentions), I've decided to do a series of posts on my top movies of all time - starting with the honourable mentions, and then ultimately ascending towards the Top 10.

For each one I've written a little bit about why I like the film so much. This list goes up to the end of 2008, and obviously can only include the movies that I've seen up to that time.

Part One:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2009/05/favourite-ever-movies-part-1.html

I thought you folks might be interested, and have your own comments on the movies listed.

I'll be looking to continue this short series of posts on my blog over the coming days.

Like CAPN said, may your cock wither and die. How could American History X NOT make your top 50 list. Dude, that is just blasphemous.

MinionZombie
20-May-2009, 02:22 PM
Blimey, there's a fair bit of heat being generated about my opinion here, eh? :D

Capn, SRP, Aces, Dj, Bassman ... if you could harness the heat created by you lot, we could heat the Albert Hall for a decade. :D

I should be pimping up #21-30 tonight...I think sometime soon I will make Bassman quite happy. :D

AcesandEights
20-May-2009, 02:45 PM
Capn, SRP, Aces, Dj, Bassman ... if you could harness the heat created by you lot, we could heat the Albert Hall for a decade.

Pfft...You lump me in with this lot of troublemakers? :p

I should be pimping up #21-30 tonight...

Looking forward to it, makes great economic-slow-down at work reading. :D

bassman
20-May-2009, 02:48 PM
I should be pimping up #21-30 tonight...I think sometime soon I will make Bassman quite happy. :D

Not if it's all the way up in 21-30 you wont! Drop that shit to top 10, man!:p

MoonSylver
20-May-2009, 05:30 PM
Blimey, there's a fair bit of heat being generated about my opinion here, eh? :D

That never happens on the internet.

MinionZombie
20-May-2009, 06:44 PM
Here we go, entry 4-of-6, 21 through 30 (in alphabetical order).

Part Four:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2009/05/top-50-favourite-movies-ever-part-4.html

Looking forward to it, makes great economic-slow-down at work reading. :D
Here you go Aces, some more time off work. :p

Not if it's all the way up in 21-30 you wont! Drop that shit to top 10, man!:p
I think you're safe this time round, bassman ... but will you get everything you want?

Tune in tomorrow (probably) for part five, 11 through 20 ... or 'ten block two-out-of-five', in my weird way of not being able to assign any more precise listing to this ... er ... list.

AcesandEights
20-May-2009, 06:57 PM
Mmmm, this list is just about out of the park. I can forgive Tremors (yeah, it's got some coolness to it, but...) and look past Short Circuit, understanding it's a classic from your younger years (we all have them).

The rest of this portion of the list is pure gold. Hell, maybe even platinum as far as I'm concerned. :thumbsup:

Craig
20-May-2009, 10:17 PM
Now we're getting into the meaty goodness :lol: can really identify with Die Hard, Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, Tremors and Shaun of the Dead... oh and of course Day of the Dead :p

Doc
21-May-2009, 03:23 AM
Aha sweet of you putting Day of the Dead! Still remains my favorite Dead film. I haven't seen The Burning yet(which Savini is involve in the F/X no?) but, out of everything else Day of the Dead is his masterpiece in terms of S F/X.:D Too bad, he's not working these days. :(

MinionZombie
21-May-2009, 09:51 AM
Aha sweet of you putting Day of the Dead! Still remains my favorite Dead film. I haven't seen The Burning yet(which Savini is involve in the F/X no?) but, out of everything else Day of the Dead is his masterpiece in terms of S F/X.:D Too bad, he's not working these days. :(
Aye, Savini did the FX on The Burning, but there's no comparison to Day of the Dead. Comparison to Friday 13th and Dawn of the Dead maybe, but certainly not Day of the Dead - Savini's best work, period. :cool:

The real meat of the sandwich kicks off in the two remaining blogposts. Oh yes. :)

DjfunkmasterG
21-May-2009, 03:14 PM
Pfft...You lump me in with this lot of troublemakers? :p

Just as guilty as the rest of us. Hell you're guilty by association dude. :D

So far here are my issues....

No Country For Old Men being in the top 50... this should be a top 20 film.

RAMBO? Are you serious? :lol:

The Burbs? I like it, but top 50 material... I dunno, maybe top 100

Critters? come on man. This is as bad a Rambo.

I like your Top 21-30 list, no issues.

MinionZombie
21-May-2009, 06:39 PM
Hey man, Rambo, The 'Burbs, and Critters are all awesome. :)

*ahem* roll up, roll up...#11-20 ... again, in lazy-bones alphabetical order ... it's just too hard to asign each one an actual numbered place!

Part Five:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2009/05/top-50-favourite-movies-ever-part-5.html

Just one more part to go, what will be in my Top Ten of All Time?! Tune in tomorrow to find out! :)

major jay
21-May-2009, 08:18 PM
again, in lazy-bones alphabetical order ... it's just too hard to asign each one an actual numbered place!

Enjoyed reading your lists. How about, at least, ranking your top 10 though?

clanglee
22-May-2009, 12:38 AM
Hey man, Rambo, The 'Burbs, and Critters are all awesome. :)

*ahem* roll up, roll up...#11-20 ... again, in lazy-bones alphabetical order ... it's just too hard to asign each one an actual numbered place!

Part Five:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2009/05/top-50-favourite-movies-ever-part-5.html

Just one more part to go, what will be in my Top Ten of All Time?! Tune in tomorrow to find out! :)

First one I have agreed mostly with. . With the exception going to Zodiac. While it's a good movie. . It was way to meandering to be memorable to me.

MinionZombie
22-May-2009, 09:49 AM
Major Jay - I can't even rank my Top Ten ... it's simply too hard. :)

Clang - if meandering doesn't do it for you, then one of my Top Ten entries won't jive with you quite possibly. :D

Well here we are folks, the final part - part six-of-six - and my top ten ... none of which are numerically ordered. :D

Part Six:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2009/05/top-50-favourite-movies-ever-part-6.html

Prepare to be happy Bassman. :p

I trust everyone's enjoyed my exhaustive blogging this week? Well you'd better have had, it took me ages to write that lot up. :lol::p:)

clanglee
22-May-2009, 08:46 PM
The only meandering flick here is TAOJJBTCRF, which is a beautiful movie. It wouldn't make my top ten, but I do love it.

Everything else on the list is noice!!!!

bassman
22-May-2009, 09:20 PM
Awesome top ten. Ever since you started this thing I've been thinking, "Where's Fight Club? He's got to have Fight Club". Well there ya are. Nice to see my #1 movie of all time in your top ten, as well.:cool:

I've still got to see Assassination of Jesse James. I've had it recorded on the ol' dvr for ages now, but never get around to watching it. Perhaps it's best that I don't watch it on Pan and Scan and get the DVD? Our tastes are fairly similar, so I guess I'll go ahead and pick that one up if it's in your top ten.

MinionZombie
23-May-2009, 10:52 AM
Awesome top ten. Ever since you started this thing I've been thinking, "Where's Fight Club? He's got to have Fight Club". Well there ya are. Nice to see my #1 movie of all time in your top ten, as well.:cool:

I've still got to see Assassination of Jesse James. I've had it recorded on the ol' dvr for ages now, but never get around to watching it. Perhaps it's best that I don't watch it on Pan and Scan and get the DVD? Our tastes are fairly similar, so I guess I'll go ahead and pick that one up if it's in your top ten.
hehe, glad you like it. :)

Aye - get the DVD of Jesse James, it'll be quite cheap now - you have to see it in it's proper 2.35:1 ratio, not some shitty Pan & Scan butchered version. Deakin's cinematography shouldn't be tampered with.

It's slow paced and meandering, but it's just so beautifully made in all respects, and the final 40 minutes is just brilliant.