PDA

View Full Version : What became of Fran and Peter

deadkrank
18-May-2009, 09:03 PM
Hey this something I have always wanted to know.What do you think became of Peter and Fran after they flew away at the end of Dawn of The Dead? Do you think they headed to Canada? As Fran wanted to go to Canada. And Fran was pregnent during Dawn.So if she had the baby where would she of gone to have it without being attacked by zombies? And did she have a boy or a girl? I assume if it was a boy she would of named him after Steve in honor of his memory.
I think it would be cool it George A Romero would bring The Peter and Fran charectors back in another dead flick? I wonder if Ken Foree would say yes if he was asked to play Peter again? He was in The Halloween remake.That was my favorite part of The Halloween remake.

bassman
18-May-2009, 09:11 PM
Of course we don't know what happened to the characters because the end of Dawn is the end of their story, but I like to think they didn't make it far. Maybe to an outpost if they were lucky, but seeing as how their fuel was low and Romero at one point had the idea of making the sound of their chopper die after the credits.....I think they wouldn't have made it very far from the mall.

As for seeing a new film continuing their story....it's supposedly in the works. Rubenstein said about a year back that he was looking to do a follow up to Dawn. Whether or not it ever happens is to be seen. I personally don't think it will ever happen and IF it does, it's probably going to suck.

If for some reason it happens and it's the next chapter of Fran and Peter's escape, I definitely don't think it should be Foree and Ross. It's way past the time period in which they could do that, imo.

So in the end I say leave Dawn be. It's one of the greatest horror films of all time and anything related or tied in with it will be pointless and most likely horrible.

3pidemiC
18-May-2009, 09:33 PM
Want to know?

Read this: http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Reckoning-Dawning-Anthony-Giangregorio/dp/193545806X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242682363&sr=8-1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HrpGesFtL._SS500_.jpg

One fan's take on it.

If you buy it, tell us what you thoughts. Seems that no member has scrouged the money and time together to buy this book and read it.

MaximusIncredulous
18-May-2009, 10:36 PM
Seems that no member has scrouged the money and time together to buy this book and read it.

With a title like that, I'm not surprised. A little more originality may have opened the wallets.

As for Fran and Peter, although we like to imagine a happy ending of sorts, the reality was that the helicopter was very low on fuel and they had no idea as to where to go. In all likelihood they probably got a good 30 or 40 miles away from the mall before running out of fuel (I hope Stephen instructed Fran on autorotations). My guess, they made it to a local house, cleared out any zeds in there, barricaded as best they could, and went through another NOTLD scenario before being overwhelmed.

The other option is that the helicopter ran out of fuel in flight, crashed and killed both occupants instantly. If lucky, after the crash fire engulfed the Ranger and thoroughly burned Fran and Peter, preventing revival.

krakenslayer
18-May-2009, 10:58 PM
They made it a few miles, had to make an emergency landing, Fran gave birth and died in childbirth, Peter finds her eating the afterbirth and shoots her, he takes the newborn baby whom he names Steven on the road, he meets a young Riley and helps him soup-up an abandoned Winnebago (found with a dead blonde chick at the wheel) into a zombie snowplow so Riley can make it to Pittsburgh (where he's heard survivors have started a community), Peter decides to continue on to Canada as he's looking for a world without fences. He gets there and is overwhelmed by zombies during a snowstorm, he barricades himself in a hunting cabin and waits for death. In the morning, he's still alive. He walks outside to find thousands of dead stand around, lifeless, literally frozen in their tracks. Peter decides to build a new life for himself and baby Stephen as hunter-gatherers in the snowy wilderness.

That's what happened. :D

ProfessorChaos
18-May-2009, 11:18 PM
low fuel, so....
http://simonc.f2o.org/south/images/heli_wreck.jpg

remember what became of tom and judy?

barbeque, then zombie poop.

SRP76
18-May-2009, 11:23 PM
I guess most people don't think Fran knows how to look at a fucking fuel gauge.

She'd set down the helicopter someplace before it hit dry. Duh.

ProfessorChaos
18-May-2009, 11:24 PM
ah, but what if there was nowhere safe to set it down?

or the fuel gauge could be like the one on my car and go from "a little" to "E" in like the blink of an eye....

blind2d
19-May-2009, 01:23 AM
Kraken's story is best. Good job!

Moon Knight
19-May-2009, 02:47 AM
They made it a few miles, had to make an emergency landing, Fran gave birth and died in childbirth, Peter finds her eating the afterbirth and shoots her, he takes the newborn baby whom he names Steven on the road, he meets a young Riley and helps him soup-up an abandoned Winnebago (found with a dead blonde chick at the wheel) into a zombie snowplow so Riley can make it to Pittsburgh (where he's heard survivors have started a community), Peter decides to continue on to Canada as he's looking for a world without fences. He gets there and is overwhelmed by zombies during a snowstorm, he barricades himself in a hunting cabin and waits for death. In the morning, he's still alive. He walks outside to find thousands of dead stand around, lifeless, literally frozen in their tracks. Peter decides to build a new life for himself and baby Stephen as hunter-gatherers in the snowy wilderness.

That's what happened. :D

Awesome, dude! I would love to see that!

Slain
19-May-2009, 03:37 AM
I checked Goggle Earth for airports near the Monroeville Mall and there are a number of airport relatively close to the mall; Monroeville Airport and Pittsburg-Monroeville Airport are both about 3 miles away, Inter Country Airport 6 miles, Greensburg-Jeanette Regional Airport 8 miles, and Allegheny County Airport 8 miles. It seems to me there were probably a few airports close to the mall in 1978.

The Susquehanna River is only about 8 miles west of the mall, and this would have been my choice for an escape route; find a boat and float down the river to the Chesapeake Bay. From there a person could sail up or down the eastern seaboard and look for sanctuary somewhere in a less populated areas.

kortick
19-May-2009, 05:21 AM
In an interview somewhere Romero said that
they probably got away and were ok.
He didnt say that in any 'official' way, as
that is what he wrote, but more in the offhand
way of him being an optimist.

Its well known that he changed the original
'suicide' ending cuz he didnt want the film to
end on a dark note (like Night did) and he decided
that he wanted these charecters to live.

In Romeros mind they are somewhere alive.

capncnut
19-May-2009, 08:14 AM
In an interview somewhere Romero said that
they probably got away and were ok.
I remember that interview and he said Fran and Peter would still be alive somewhere. Thanks for reminding me, bro.

Not bad. A little far fetched but not bad at all.

deadkrank
19-May-2009, 11:01 AM
I will have to get that book. Been a while since I read a zombie novel.
Yeah I like to think that Peter and Fran made it too. Peter was a pretty tough guy in Dawn of The Dead. I dont think Roger,Steve,and Fran would of made it very far without Peter? Peter became the leader of there little group,and Roger and Steve did not seem to mind.
But you know the climax for Dawn of The Dead was a bit stupid.Peter and Steve closed up all the stores in the mall so the raiders would not get in.But they got into the stores anyways. And when they open up the main doors they let in all the zombies outside. I would of just got the heck out of there.The mall was no longer theres. Yeah but I can understand why they tryed to do what they could the mall had been there home for months. How long was they in that mall for it anyways? I thought it was funny that there was pies laying around.Those pies must of been pretty rotten.

DjfunkmasterG
19-May-2009, 12:07 PM
In my eyes they landed because of no fuel and tried to survive in the zombie world, but Fran was attacked and disembowled, the zombies had a baby appetizer. Peter who tried to save her was taken down by some Snyder track stars, and swallowed up like a fat guy having his own go at a chinese buffet.

AcesandEights
19-May-2009, 04:36 PM

One fan's take on it.

If you buy it, tell us what you thoughts. Seems that no member has scrouged the money and time together to buy this book and read it.

Just couldn't do it this month, as I am moving and had to payout double rent. Next month is big screen tv time, so not sure when I'll free cash for the book, though I know I will read it eventually, so long as it doesn't get completely panned by a reviewer in the meantime or something.

krakenslayer
19-May-2009, 04:49 PM
I've been intrigued by that book for quite some time. However, I just can't justify it for two reasons:

1) It's VERY expensive for a paperback. The retail price is £13.99. Most first edition hardbacks don't cost that much.

2) No offence to LivingDeadPress, whom I know is a member on here, and I may be totally wrong, but Anthony Giangregorio probably ain't Shakespeare, or even Stephen King.

Now don't take that the wrong way, I love pulpy horror paperbacks - I've read Guy N. Smith and Brian Keene for chrissakes - but again, it comes back to the price: there is a difference between paying a fiver for a fun, trashy paperback and paying the best part of fifteen quid for essentially the same thing.

Like I said, I might be wrong. But I think I'll hold fire until someone else on here reads the thing and tells me it's great.

Mike70
19-May-2009, 05:12 PM
I

2) No offence to LivingDeadPress, whom I know is a member on here, and I may be totally wrong, but Anthony Giangregorio probably ain't Shakespeare, or even Stephen King.

shall i compare thee to a summer's zombie?
thou art more rancid and putrid.
rough winds do shake off pieces of you
and summer's lease hath caused further decay.

krakenslayer
19-May-2009, 05:46 PM
shall i compare thee to a summer's zombie?
thou art more rancid and putrid.
rough winds do shake off pieces of you
and summer's lease hath caused further decay.

:lol::lol::lol:

DrSiN
19-May-2009, 05:53 PM
I own the book and I've read it. It's not horrible and if you're out of zombie stories then you might want to pick it up. It is pricey though. He does capture the characters of Fran and Peter and they feel at home. The story is pretty simplistic and there are some parts that seem tacked on to make it longer. but overall it was a B.

capncnut
19-May-2009, 07:02 PM
1) It's VERY expensive for a paperback. The retail price is £13.99. Most first edition hardbacks don't cost that much.

Precisely the reason why I havent bought it yet. I ain't paying fifteen quid for a piece of fan lit. That's like thirty bucks!!!

deadkrank
19-May-2009, 08:16 PM
Me I dont like buying books that mutch anymore. Yeah spend $7.99 on a paperback or $20+ on a hardcover novel.Read the thing.Then when you get done with it you put it on the shelf,where it will sit and collect dust.
Thats why I like the libary.Get a book out.Read it.Then you get take it back.Simple.
Speaking of end of The world books has anyone here read a novel called Black Monday? I was looking at it at Walmart the other day.Its about all the oil in the world going bad. I was wondering if it was a good book.I did not buy.But I been thinking about running back over to Walmart and getting it?

Thorn
20-May-2009, 03:16 PM
Me I dont like buying books that mutch anymore. Yeah spend $7.99 on a paperback or $20+ on a hardcover novel.Read the thing.Then when you get done with it you put it on the shelf,where it will sit and collect dust.
Thats why I like the libary.Get a book out.Read it.Then you get take it back.Simple.
Speaking of end of The world books has anyone here read a novel called Black Monday? I was looking at it at Walmart the other day.Its about all the oil in the world going bad. I was wondering if it was a good book.I did not buy.But I been thinking about running back over to Walmart and getting it?

It is okay, all the oil in the world goes bad then they find a way to make fuel out of old books. The basically go around collecting books from peoples shelves and turn them into a kind of mash.... which ... never mind. Don't want to spoil it for you.

Yojimbo
21-May-2009, 08:01 AM
I own the book and I've read it. It's not horrible and if you're out of zombie stories then you might want to pick it up.
Not the worst thing I've heard about a book, but for this price, certainly not the best thing I've heard either. No offense to the writer or the publisher, but I would have to sample this (think: reading a few chapters online or in a bookstore cafe for free to see if it is worth purchasing) Without a sample, and knowing nothing about the author or the publisher apart from the random self promoting posts, on my budget I simply cannot justify spending that much. Again, no offense meant, but that novel is priced way too high, and I have been burned with substandard novels too many times in the past (which cost less) to make this sort of leap of faith sight unseen.

DrSiN
21-May-2009, 07:19 PM
Yea, I wish more of these types of books would go ebooks. I think I paid almost $20 and for $20 it was a bit of a let down. If it had been a $6 ebook I would have been much happier.

hadrian0117
21-May-2009, 08:19 PM
I think Land of the Dead would've been the perfect chance to reveal their fates. Remember that scene where Riley & co were driving around in an open jeep? Instead of them pass a wrecked plane just have them pass a wrecked helicopter with "WGON" visible (even if only for a few frames).

AcesandEights
21-May-2009, 08:33 PM
Remember that scene where Riley & co were driving around in an open jeep? Instead of them pass a wrecked plane just have them pass a wrecked helicopter with "WGON" visible (even if only for a few frames).

True, that would've been cool, even though I personally prefer the idea that they made it out and there was more to their story than the abbreviated ending of a copter crash.

krakenslayer
21-May-2009, 08:51 PM
I think Land of the Dead would've been the perfect chance to reveal their fates. Remember that scene where Riley & co were driving around in an open jeep? Instead of them pass a wrecked plane just have them pass a wrecked helicopter with "WGON" visible (even if only for a few frames).

If Romero wanted us to think they were dead he probably would have. In fact, if he wanted that he'd have use the original 'down' ending in Dawn. I think he wants to believe, and wants us to believe, that they're still out there, somewhere.

Mike70
21-May-2009, 09:40 PM
If Romero wanted us to think they were dead he probably would have. In fact, if he wanted that he'd have use the original 'down' ending in Dawn. I think he wants to believe, and wants us to believe, that they're still out there, somewhere.

i don't think romero could've used a reference to peter and fran in land even if he wanted to without jumping through a lot of flaming hoops. there is an interview out there (and posted on here somewhere) where he talks about how hard it was to even get tom savini's biker character into the land.

dubious can probably back me up on this one. i'm gonna try and find this interview/post.

to be continued...

ok i found it:

Romero talked with B-D about the possibility of characters from DAWN OF THE DEAD or DAY OF THE DEAD ever appearing in the upcoming films. "I had to go to great lengths for Savini to appear in LAND [OF THE DEAD] in his old costume from DAWN [OF THE DEAD]. The problem is those films are owned and controlled by other people," he explains. "They're no longer mine, and it's very expensive. I can't do like Steve King did with CASTLE ROCK. However, if i could get the permission.... there's a character in my new script which could be become Bub, in other words, he would be alive now. But they'd probably want a lot of money for that. I'm bad with that business stuff (laughs)."

it is post #81 in this epic bitchfest:

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=11443&referrerid=286

iluvc2h5oh
23-May-2009, 05:30 PM
Want to know?

Read this: http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Reckoning-Dawning-Anthony-Giangregorio/dp/193545806X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242682363&sr=8-1

One fan's take on it.

I liked the story more when I wrote it 5 years ago...

lol it should still be in the fiction section...

(BTW im not claiming the guy ripped me off but I had that very story line written long ago...) (but I am claiming we both ripped off GAR, but I didnt do it for $$$)

krakenslayer
23-May-2009, 10:25 PM
i don't think romero could've used a reference to peter and fran in land even if he wanted to without jumping through a lot of flaming hoops. there is an interview out there (and posted on here somewhere) where he talks about how hard it was to even get tom savini's biker character into the land.

dubious can probably back me up on this one. i'm gonna try and find this interview/post.

to be continued...

ok i found it:

it is post #81 in this epic bitchfest:

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=11443&referrerid=286

Yeah, but there is a difference between bringing an actual recongisable character back on screen, and the tenuous connection showing a broken-down helicopter with a familiar colour scheme that may or may not resemble a working helicopter in another movie, or showing the ravaged corpses of an unidentifiable blonde woman and a black man lying face down in the mud. How would anyone ever prove that those were the same characters? And even if they were, there is the whole load of issues around fair use, satire, etc. that mean you could probably get away with it.

MaximusIncredulous
24-May-2009, 03:27 AM
How would anyone ever prove that those were the same characters?

Fran's 70's-style clothing would be a dead giveaway ;)

darth los
26-May-2009, 12:55 PM
Fran's 70's-style clothing would be a dead giveaway ;)

I would think that Peter's S.W.A.T. Uniform would have been even more telling. Also, if you want to go one step further and leave absolutely no doubt You could have someone take the dog tag off the corpse that actually says: Peter Washington.

:cool:

Wyldwraith
27-May-2009, 12:43 AM
As to if they got away,
Since they're such good little building clearer/defenders now. Why couldnt they just set the chopper down on another flat-topped building nearby and repeated the mall process? Sure there's only two of them now, but I'm POSITIVE that not EVERY building that could serve as an impromptu helipad is already infested indoors.

There's a host of optimistic potential outcomes if you want em. Just like the list of pessimistic outcomes that are/were possible. Comes down to the age old glass half full of survivors or half empty of zombies condundrum.

darth los
27-May-2009, 07:02 PM
As to if they got away,
Since they're such good little building clearer/defenders now. Why couldnt they just set the chopper down on another flat-topped building nearby and repeated the mall process? Sure there's only two of them now, but I'm POSITIVE that not EVERY building that could serve as an impromptu helipad is already infested indoors.

In addition to that, virtually any other place they landed wouldn't be as big as the mall. So let's see, the new "spot" would be half the size with half of the original crew clearing it out. Sounds about right to me.

:cool:

krakenslayer
06-Jun-2009, 11:16 AM
Seriously, it would have been a piece of piss to find a building to land on, without zombies wandering around on the roof. The Bell Jetranger II range of helicopters (to which the WGON "traffic bird" belonged) have a safe full-fuel range of almost 700km (~434 miles), so even if they only had a tenth of a tank (or even less), they'd still be able to fly for about 40 miles to find something suitable.

And actually, come to think about it, screw rooftops! They could fly forty miles into the countryside where the zombies are more spread out (they're clearly congregating mostly in the big cities during Dawn and Day), land in an open field and take their chances in the landscape.

bd2999
06-Jun-2009, 02:28 PM
To be honest with the Dead Reckoning book there is much better fan literature on this some. Its not bad by any means by middle of the pack for fan fiction sort of thing. Considering it is just one fans opinion of what happened.

It was always my impression that they made it somewhere. Romero left it open but in the commentary and interviews he has said that he liked the characters and so they got away. So they did not go with the downer ending and they made it off somewhere. In the Day commentary he even joked that the primary characters of Day made it off to the island with Peter and Fran. I dont know about that but I like to think they made it somewhere. They might well have died somewhere down the line from something, as it is hard to be totally self sufficient and always on your guard for the rest of your life but I honestly think they made it from the mall and somewhere else.

It is hard to believe that Fran would simply fly the copter until it ran out of gas and crashed it. I think at best they made it to a building around the mall, could possibly refuel and fortify as a base of operations. And at worst they would have enough to make it outside of the main city and land in a field somewhere, take what they have and find a place to lay low until they could find a place to fortify and use as a base for other functions or a place to get fuel. These characters have alot of common sense and Fran comments they dont have much fuel, so I imagine that she is going to be eyeing that gauge the entire time. No way they crash. Might not be the softess landing but still, first time you parallel park its often stressful too.

Harold W Brown
02-Jul-2009, 07:11 PM
There's a story called "Father's Day" in the fiction section that offers a take.

MaximusIncredulous
02-Jul-2009, 07:18 PM
Seriously, it would have been a piece of piss to find a building to land on, without zombies wandering around on the roof.

Or reinforced for helicopter landings.

krakenslayer
02-Jul-2009, 07:56 PM
Or reinforced for helicopter landings.

It doesn't have to be, it only has to support the weight of the chopper for as long as it takes for Fran and Peter to climb down and jump in a truck or something. Plus, they can spot hordes from the air and pick a quiet spot. The situation we leave them in is just as easily survivable as any of the other trials and tribulations of the movie, there's no reason to assume they won't strive a fifteen-minute helicopter flight and find somewhere to come down in one piece.

Now DAY is a different story... We leave Sarah in a very dire situation then - BAM - she's in an idyllic island wonderland. Do you think she survived or did she die and go to heaven?

MaximusIncredulous
02-Jul-2009, 08:14 PM
Now DAY is a different story... We leave Sarah in a very dire situation then - BAM - she's in an idyllic island wonderland. Do you think she survived or did she die and go to heaven?

I figure she survived, God doesn't allow helicopters to park in Heaven :D

krakenslayer
02-Jul-2009, 09:09 PM
I figure she survived, God doesn't allow helicopters to park in Heaven :D

Maybe she doesn't know she's dead and is going on as if normal - seeing her hopes of escape to an idyllic island come true, perhaps the helicopter is a symbol for ascention into the afterlife...

Actually, I think she survived too, but the ending really does allow for a lot of different interpretation, and we really don't have as many arguments about it on the forums here as we probably should. :D

sandrock74
02-Jul-2009, 10:34 PM
About Fran and Peter, they were better off than Sarah, Billy and John when you think about it. At least Fran and Peter had guns, ammo, food and water stored away in their helicopter. Not so for Sarah and the boys.

Given the situations, I'd rather have been with Fran and Peter.

krakenslayer
02-Jul-2009, 10:42 PM
About Fran and Peter, they were better off than Sarah, Billy and John when you think about it. At least Fran and Peter had guns, ammo, food and water stored away in their helicopter. Not so for Sarah and the boys.

Given the situations, I'd rather have been with Fran and Peter.

Good point, although actually, we don't know for sure what they kept in the helicopter in Day because we never see inside the hold. It's quite possible that they kept supplies in there for in the event of an emergency.

Yojimbo
03-Jul-2009, 09:07 PM
Good point, although actually, we don't know for sure what they kept in the helicopter in Day because we never see inside the hold. It's quite possible that they kept supplies in there for in the event of an emergency.
More than likely they had survival supplies (including weapons, ammo, food & water) packed somewhere on that chopper because that would make sense.

Would you go flying around over an apocalyptic wasteland trolling for survivors like they were at the beginning of day without a backup plan and gear just in case of an emergency? I sure as hell would not, and anyone who did would be a total idiot.

sandrock74
04-Jul-2009, 03:24 PM
More than likely they had survival supplies (including weapons, ammo, food & water) packed somewhere on that chopper because that would make sense.

Would you go flying around over an apocalyptic wasteland trolling for survivors like they were at the beginning of day without a backup plan and gear just in case of an emergency? I sure as hell would not, and anyone who did would be a total idiot.

Look at how their place was run! Hell, Sarah even ORDERED that the chopped NOT be refuled after they landed. That wasn't smart either. I can firmly believe that no supplies were kept in the hold of Johns copter (maybe some tools, but that's it).

MaximusIncredulous
04-Jul-2009, 07:14 PM
Look at how their place was run! Hell, Sarah even ORDERED that the chopped NOT be refuled after they landed. That wasn't smart either. I can firmly believe that no supplies were kept in the hold of Johns copter (maybe some tools, but that's it).

We know they have a mini-megaphone in there that they use to annoy zombies.

Yojimbo
05-Jul-2009, 01:11 AM

Yeah, not refuling the chopper is a dumb-ass move for sure. But the pilot and navigator would have likely been the ones who would have seen to it that they never fly off without emergency supplies onboard. John actually argued with Sarah's order, so I have hope (glass half full) in his common sense.

JDFP
05-Jul-2009, 03:19 AM
Here's a thought...

They weren't far from where the BP truck-station was located, if all the ghouls were converging on the mall there may have been very few ghouls located where the BP trucks were stationed. They could have landed the chopper near the trucks, Fran could have shot at any approaching ghouls just long enough for Peter to rig a truck and they could have gotten a couple hundred miles in one of those trucks.

Granted, there are a few ifs -- how much fuel would be in the truck, and if Peter had the stuff on the chopper to rig a truck.

-- j.

Yojimbo
06-Jul-2009, 11:20 PM
Here's a thought...

They weren't far from where the BP truck-station was located, if all the ghouls were converging on the mall there may have been very few ghouls located where the BP trucks were stationed. They could have landed the chopper near the trucks, Fran could have shot at any approaching ghouls just long enough for Peter to rig a truck and they could have gotten a couple hundred miles in one of those trucks.

Granted, there are a few ifs -- how much fuel would be in the truck, and if Peter had the stuff on the chopper to rig a truck.

-- j.

Nice thought, but Roger and not Peter was the one who knew how to hot wire vehicles.

But along those lines, they could have stopped at any nearby airport or the locks along the allegheny to refuel, then they would have been cool to go a long stretch.

krakenslayer
11-Jul-2009, 12:36 AM
Just a little shout out to say I just got done watching the European cut for the first time - AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, just to I say, in that (semi-unofficial) version, the ending leaves us in no doubt that we're supposed to believe Peter and Fran are flying off into the Dawn to kick zombie ass and chew bubblegum. From the moment Peter turns the Derringer on the first zombie to break down the door, right through his fight to the roof and their escape in the chopper, until the last of the credits have scrolled off the screen, we hear THIS:

d2hmaCmP0gc

That ending just gave me such a boner. :lol:

capncnut
11-Jul-2009, 06:26 PM
Just a little shout out to say I just got done watching the European cut for the first time - AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats. While it is rather exciting the first few times, the European cut quickly becomes a tedious chore.

d2hmaCmP0gc
And I HATE that tune. When I saw the film all those years ago, and that tune played, I was like, "you gotta be kidding!" It sounds like the cheesy soundtrack to a battle scene from Airwolf of something.

EvilNed
11-Jul-2009, 08:01 PM
I think it's miles, and miles better than the library music used in the theatrical version. I agree with Kraken: That's a kickin' ass tune!

I haven't seen the European Cut yet, because the copy I've got is in such bad quality it's not even funny. And it's in full screen! But I'd file that under bad quality.

krakenslayer
11-Jul-2009, 08:43 PM
When I saw the film all those years ago, and that tune played, I was like, "you gotta be kidding!" It sounds like the cheesy soundtrack to a battle scene from Airwolf of something.

LOL! And what's wrong with that!? :lol:

We're getting a bit off topic, into soundtrack thread territory, but I like the Goblin soundtrack simply because, to me, it sounds like real music recorded by real musicians in keeping with the tone and era of the film, whereas the library tracks mostly sound like they were recorded by an elderly 3-piece brass band in a toilet cubicle in 1933. :D

MissJacksonCA
12-Jul-2009, 11:46 PM
Looking back on the ending of Dawn and then Day and eventually Land... you have to imagine that the characters survived someplace whether they landed in a remote area as in the end of Day or went to seek refuge where other survivors may be like in Land. It makes me wonder if George hadn't planned to revisit Fran and Pete later on... like after he saved them at the end of Dawn and Day and Land he planned some kind of movie or show that would profile the different survivors in their spots around the country and how they all survive differently both against the zombies, each other, and perhaps he would throw in some of mother nature attacking to show what they do in that instance too... seeing as most of them were displaced somewhere they weren't from. It would be like Lost met Zombies.

krakenslayer
13-Jul-2009, 12:15 AM
Looking back on the ending of Dawn and then Day and eventually Land... you have to imagine that the characters survived someplace whether they landed in a remote area as in the end of Day or went to seek refuge where other survivors may be like in Land. It makes me wonder if George hadn't planned to revisit Fran and Pete later on... like after he saved them at the end of Dawn and Day and Land he planned some kind of movie or show that would profile the different survivors in their spots around the country and how they all survive differently both against the zombies, each other, and perhaps he would throw in some of mother nature attacking to show what they do in that instance too... seeing as most of them were displaced somewhere they weren't from. It would be like Lost met Zombies.

I don't think he ever really planned to reprise the characters, as there has been very little in the way of cross overs between the films. I must admit though, I've often wondered about it, and the idea of all the survivors from all the movies eventually crossing paths sends a shiver down my spine. That would be very cool.

MissJacksonCA
13-Jul-2009, 12:25 AM
Perhaps he didn't plan it per se so much as he left it open for future use. He kept options. I think a film reprising the characters would have brought zombies back. I kinda feel like why keep them alive if he didn't have plans for them in the future? Especially in a future where zombies are present. The Walking Dead has really spoiled me and raised my expectation of knowing how my favorite characters end up. Even knowing when some characters die it still leaves the door open for me to imagine how they could've survived and how they could've done things different. Like with Roger. He coulda kept his wits about him. Its interesting to think what would've happened if flyboy was the only one of the fab four to die.

krakenslayer
13-Jul-2009, 01:01 AM
Like with Roger. He coulda kept his wits about him. Its interesting to think what would've happened if flyboy was the only one of the fab four to die.

On one level I agree with you, I love to imagine all these different scenarios (see the Romero Hypotheticals thread), but on the other hand part of me knows the movie would not be as gripping if it didn't play out exactly as it did. If you think about the characters of Roger and Stephen, how throughout the movie they both were a little cocky and underestimated their foes, whereas Fran and Peter never really let their guard down. If Roger had lived, it would have changed the whole dynamic of the movie, as much as I love the character the message of the film would be less frightening if he had been allowed to survive.

MissJacksonCA
13-Jul-2009, 01:23 AM
How I wish they had DVD abilities and a bigger budget back then. It would be great if they had filmed alternate endings. Personally... I would like to have seen Roger survive ... if he had Peter wouldn't have wanted to die at one point... but the movie wouldn't have been as poignant either. I kinda wouldn't have minded it if Peter just popped off... just to see how that would change Frans next move. To me it felt confusing that he even wanted to die even without his lil buddy... you know what? They need some kind of promotional contest where youtube'ers film the 'what happened next' of movies like this. Where its open ended and you can imagine whatever you want. I remember watching the movie the first time and just couldn't have imagined him dying in it if for no other reason than because he seemed to be smarter than the rest. Peter was always cool and calm. Flyboy I could've dealt without. And Fran of course progressed into the best of all the men put together. But I agree with you that Roger developed into a character who was doomed to zombiedom. And Flyboy was always someone who was going to be a zed. And the movie wouldn't have been AS great... if their fates were changed... I just want an altenate ending ... a deleted scene... something ... a crumb to feed on... that's all :annoyed: