View Full Version : This Mannequin Is Way Too Sexy for Ohio

MoonSylver
20-May-2009, 04:16 AM
Mike, Stray, thought you guys in particular would get a kick out of this...

Who knew the best way to sell barbecue was with sex? As in a sexy mannequin. Kenny Tessel of Reading, Ohio near Cincinnati hit on the idea of promoting his restaurant by erecting a life-size, busty mannequin out front. Business rose 40 percent. But not everyone was thrilled.

The Associated Press reports that the 5' 10" mannequin, which was scantily dressed in a bikini top and tight short-shorts drew concerns about "community norms." Zoning officials got involved. Hearings were held. People complained. The mannequin even came to the hearing, but more modestly clothed in a long, sleeveless gray T-shirt.

The ruling? Members of the Design and Review Board said the mannequin can stay, but she has to be more modestly dressed.

http://access.nscpcdn.com/gallery/i/w/wnew_mannequin_sign/mannequin4.jpg

Ah, Ohio...I like living here but it can be a pretty puritanical state. Puritanical as defined by The Sage of Baltimore, H.L. Mencken, who very aptly described Puritanism as "the haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy."

;)

AcesandEights
20-May-2009, 01:58 PM
Who knew the best way to sell barbecue was with sex?

Pffft. I did. ;) Fun(ny) story, though.

And I haven't seen that H.L. Mencken quote in a dog's age. Always reminded me of some of my favs from Ambrose Bierce's Devil's Dictionary.

Mike70
20-May-2009, 03:06 PM
unfortunately SW Ohio is filled with "community/family values" morons, all of whom i'd like to throw into a pit with a bunch of rabid badgers.

what a thing to be wasting time and energy on right now. businesses are failing, people are losing their jobs and health insurance but WAIT! we have to have a big dog and pony show over a fucking mannequin.

funny the hoopla over a small mannequin when hardly anyone complains about this tacky ass, fucking eyesore:

http://chucklingmonkey.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/bigbutterandalli.jpg

i bring you "big butter jesus" aka "touchdown jesus", probably one of the tackiest things in all of north america.

f0OxLXe5YnQ

MoonSylver
20-May-2009, 05:13 PM
funny the hoopla over a small mannequin when hardly anyone complains about this tacky ass, fucking eyesore:

Yeah I hate that thing. Every time we see it I yell (in best dubbed voice) "Ahhh It Jesus! He attacking the city!!!" (The missus usually replies "Help me! I'm drowning!"...yeah, we're weird like that....)

Funny you bring him up, me & the missus were watching a show the other night on Bruce Lee & they were showing them working on a giant version of THIS statue:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/Hong_kong_bruce_lee_statue.jpg

The wife said they should replace the big butter Jesus with Bruce Lee. The idea of a giant Bruce Lee statue flying kicking the Jesus statue out of the way & taking his place was insanely funny to me for some reason...:lol:

.And I haven't seen that H.L. Mencken quote in a dog's age.

I was just exposed to it the other day. I don't know that I've ever seen a more accurate statement.

Mike70
20-May-2009, 05:46 PM
oh how i would love to see bruce lee's statue take a flying kick at big butter jesus. followed straight up by me with 2 sticks of dynamite.

AcesandEights
20-May-2009, 07:34 PM

i bring you "big butter jesus" aka "touchdown jesus", probably one of the tackiest things in all of north america.

Jesus, that's tacky!

(pun intended, mind you.)

Crappingbear
22-May-2009, 01:20 AM
Is that huge statue of Jesus really butter? How deluded are these "believers" to think their lord and savior would be proud to be depicted by dairy products. Sheesh. Its the same disdain I have for idiots (usually Mexicans down here) who see Jesus or Mary in burnt tortillas or mold on the side of buildings. When God wants to send a message, I feel fairly certain it won't be on a tortilla.

While my bbq speaks for itself, I like the manniquin but I'd have it without clothes and add in nips and hootch painted in for some realism. Great bbq must have accurate advertising so no fakery on the doll statue. I'd also market my "Q" based on the gimmick. Big ass brisket. Tender titty pork ribs, hootchi cooch pulled pork. Thats money! :D

MoonSylver
22-May-2009, 01:30 AM
Is that huge statue of Jesus really butter?

No, it just looks like it.

While my bbq speaks for itself, I like the manniquin but I'd have it without clothes and add in nips and hootch painted in for some realism. Great bbq must have accurate advertising so no fakery on the doll statue. I'd also market my "Q" based on the gimmick. Big ass brisket. Tender titty pork ribs, hootchi cooch pulled pork. Thats money! :D

:lol:
I can see the slogan now "You can pull your pork, but you can't beat our meat!"
:lol::lol::lol:

Mike70
22-May-2009, 02:08 AM
I can see the slogan now "You can pull your pork, but you can't beat our meat!"
:lol::lol::lol:

or "crappingbear's BBQ, where we pork ya and pork ya good."

and on a different note, i should make clear that my dislike of big butter jesus isn't because it is a statue of jesus. it is because i think that it is totally and completely tacky. it could be a statue of bob marley and i'd still want to put the nitro to it.

Cody
22-May-2009, 01:10 PM
I kinda thing that statue is a little cool

I think that staue is kinda cool. I guess we don't have any cool arhcitecture around here.

strayrider
23-May-2009, 08:54 PM
Mike, Stray, thought you guys in particular would get a kick out of this...

Who knew the best way to sell barbecue was with sex? As in a sexy mannequin. Kenny Tessel of Reading, Ohio near Cincinnati hit on the idea of promoting his restaurant by erecting a life-size, busty mannequin out front. Business rose 40 percent. But not everyone was thrilled.

The Associated Press reports that the 5' 10" mannequin, which was scantily dressed in a bikini top and tight short-shorts drew concerns about "community norms." Zoning officials got involved. Hearings were held. People complained. The mannequin even came to the hearing, but more modestly clothed in a long, sleeveless gray T-shirt.

The ruling? Members of the Design and Review Board said the mannequin can stay, but she has to be more modestly dressed.

http://access.nscpcdn.com/gallery/i/w/wnew_mannequin_sign/mannequin4.jpg

Ah, Ohio...I like living here but it can be a pretty puritanical state. Puritanical as defined by The Sage of Baltimore, H.L. Mencken, who very aptly described Puritanism as "the haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy."

;)

It's not just Ohio.

In the Chicagoland area several years back, a group of "Fundies" were complaining about the immorality of this local ice cream chain's logo.

http://www.positivelynaperville.com/robin_signgood.jpg

Imagine that.

:D

-stray-