PDA

View Full Version : New Wii due by 2011!!

darth los
20-May-2009, 05:01 PM
http://www.whattheyplay.com/blog/2008/09/30/new-wii-due-by-2011/?gclid=CJezjbOty5oCFQIWFQodcirt3A

Pretty cool features? Yes

Waaaaay past due? Yes

Imo, If they had implemented these features this gen along with the option to play their games conventionally instead of with motion sensors if the player so chose sony's gaming division might be extinct right now.

:cool:

bassman
20-May-2009, 06:03 PM
And I had just recently decided to pick up a Wii. I guess I'll hold off after this news...

capncnut
20-May-2009, 06:21 PM
It's hardly surprising since Microsoft said in 2008 that it will aim to develop the Xbox 3/540 in 2010. This could well be the shortest war in console history.

darth los
20-May-2009, 06:24 PM
Who do you see winning it though?

My money's on MS. I took them to task for rushing a system to market that clearly hadn't had all the bugs fixed( as evidenced by the plaugue of console failures).

But now it seems that hitting the market a year early was a good move.

capncnut
20-May-2009, 06:45 PM
But now it seems that hitting the market a year early was a good move.
Definitely, and I think MS intend to go one further by putting out a new console two or more years early.

The current gen console war has turned out to be a bit of a farce and really quite uneven. 360 might not win in figures but they have proven to Sony that they need to watch out, and that they far from rule the market, which is a surprise given how amazing the PS2 was. Hell, even the 360 has almost sold a million in Japan, might not sound like much but that is a serious step forward over there.

But yeah, there could be a whole new war in the next two to three years.

Cody
20-May-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm excited for the new xbox, I'll never get a wii though, something about them just doesnt tickle my fancy

3pidemiC
20-May-2009, 06:59 PM
Many articles actually claim that this console generation is going to be the longest ever.

capncnut
20-May-2009, 07:21 PM
Many articles actually claim that this console generation is going to be the longest ever.
Perhaps for the PS3 because Sony have stated numerous times that they intend on keeping the console active "for at least ten years".

However the new Xbox 3/540 console has been in the planning stages since 2006.

darth los
20-May-2009, 08:01 PM
So i guess this is where we're headed. Every couple of years a co. will come out with the .5 version of the previous console and then release the real deal a couple of years later.

It seems all good until sega comes back out with their console. :hyper:

MikePizzoff
20-May-2009, 08:40 PM
WTF? Already?

It's hardly surprising since Microsoft said in 2008 that it will aim to develop the Xbox 3/540 in 2010. This could well be the shortest war in console history.

I don't think that's going to hold true. I was just reading an article the other day talking about how the VERY earliest they will have a system out will be in late 2011, however it is likely that it won't be that soon due to the capabilities of the 360 (with being able to completely revamp the software via XBL).

capncnut
20-May-2009, 09:08 PM
It seems all good until sega comes back out with their console. :hyper:
Now that's what I'm talkin' about! SEGA and Namco are doing the EAG Expo in London next year, I might have a bit of that as it happens.

Don't know about the name though, SEGA Ringpiece or whatever it was called.

Tricky
20-May-2009, 11:13 PM
Il just stick the next kick arse processor & graphics card in my PC by then and pee from a great height on the consoles :evil: i used to love 'em but they just dont raise my interest anymore

CooperWasRight
21-May-2009, 03:12 AM
The last cycle for the original xbox was only 4 years in total... This November it the 360 will turn 4.... From the ps(or psx)to the ps2 5 years and 4 months...Ps2 to ps3 6 years 2months...Gamecube to wii 5 years...The cycles are really not getting shorter...we are just getting older... The older you get the quicker time passes.

Cody
21-May-2009, 03:46 AM
Does anyone else feel like this is too son for new console releases?

Rottedfreak
21-May-2009, 08:14 AM
So long as it's fully backwards compatible with both Gamecube and Wii and contains the next best motion and IR tech in the remote and nunchuk and has some decent exclusives I'll be happy.

capncnut
21-May-2009, 09:19 AM
Does anyone else feel like this is too son for new console releases?
Well yes, if what's being said is true and that there will be new consoles out in the next couple of years. Definitely. Some people have only just shelled out for said consoles so it will be them that's affected the most. We'll have to wait and see.

MinionZombie
21-May-2009, 10:11 AM
Well yes, if what's being said is true and that there will be new consoles out in the next couple of years. Definitely. Some people have only just shelled out for said consoles so it will be them that's affected the most. We'll have to wait and see.
I got my 360 two years ago now, so Xmas 2011 is early enough to release a new Xbox in my view.

They'd better build it like a brick shithouse though - AND have it fully backwards compatible with all my existing 360 games.

Tricky
21-May-2009, 11:44 AM
we are just getting older... The older you get the quicker time passes.

your not wrong there,its frightening sometimes!il remember something that feels recent & realise it actually happened 4 years ago!buying my PS2 with red faction,GTA3 & medal of honour frontline doesnt seem that long ago,but it was 2001!:eek:

darth los
21-May-2009, 05:30 PM
Il just stick the next kick arse processor & graphics card in my PC by then and pee from a great height on the consoles :evil: i used to love 'em but they just dont raise my interest anymore

Does it make it more effective the higher you pee from? :p :confused:

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! SEGA and Namco are doing the EAG Expo in London next year, I might have a bit of that as it happens.

Don't know about the name though, SEGA Ringpiece or whatever it was called.

I think that 's a ridiculous name just like i thought"wii" was. At the time i was like "there's no way nintendo is going to stick with that dumb ass name".

Oh well, stick to what you know i guess. :o

MinionZombie
21-May-2009, 05:37 PM
your not wrong there,its frightening sometimes!il remember something that feels recent & realise it actually happened 4 years ago!buying my PS2 with red faction,GTA3 & medal of honour frontline doesnt seem that long ago,but it was 2001!:eek:
Innit just.

I often find myself thinking "geeeeeez, it's been [insert time frame] since..." - like, for instance, this summer it'll be FOUR YEARS since I graduated! :eek:

Does it make it more effective the higher you pee from?

It makes it colder when it strikes you. :lol:

Tricky
21-May-2009, 05:46 PM
Innit just.

I often find myself thinking "geeeeeez, it's been [insert time frame] since..." - like, for instance, this summer it'll be FOUR YEARS since I graduated! :eek:

and of course revenge is a dish best served cold :lol:

but yeah,its 11 years since i was taking my GCSE's now,shiiiiiiit!:eek:

darth los
21-May-2009, 05:52 PM

Now you just know a line like I wrote is MZ bait and that you would have a good comeback for it. !! I knew you wouldn't be able to resist answering that !! :lol::lol:

MinionZombie
21-May-2009, 07:44 PM
Now you just know a line like I wrote is MZ bait and that you would have a good comeback for it. !! I knew you wouldn't be able to resist answering that !! :lol::lol:

:elol:

And in turn Tricky served up a spiffing come-back to my come-back. We're all on fire today ... although hopefully not when we pee. ;) :D

Boom-boom!

CooperWasRight
21-May-2009, 11:27 PM

I will stick with my consoles (which are driving the industry and the tech) and my 1080p 73" tv. Frankly the only thing consoles are missing out on are mods and custom maps which games like Far cry 2 prove meaningful custom content can be user generated on console... Frankly Far cry is just ahead of its time.

Publius
21-May-2009, 11:37 PM
It's about time the Wii had HD support. I just hope it's early 2011 rather than late 2011!

capncnut
22-May-2009, 12:47 AM
I will stick with my consoles (which are driving the industry and the tech) and my 1080p 73" tv.
Quite agree.

PC cum-slurpers have more money than sense. I'd rather buy a console that plays ALL games (in one purchase) as opposed to upgrading my PC just to brag that some silly grenade effect looks better, when in reality, it's not that much better at all.

I'm sure some games are better on PC but 'graffix' really dont 'bovver' me. :D

darth los
22-May-2009, 04:20 PM
It's about time the Wii had HD support. I just hope it's early 2011 rather than late 2011!

It's almost unfathomable how nintendo keeps allowing itself to fall behind in the tech dept. generation after generation. The same thing happened last gen. Nintendo had to practically be dragged kicking and screaming in order to enable the wii to have online support, this even after it was clear that it was the future. And now this. They always seem to make "improvements" based on the last gen.

Yeah, hd support is great and all but sony and MS are already doing that. So by the time they catch up in 2011 MS and sony will have moved on to the next leap in technology and nintendo will again be left with an inferior machine and thus, an inferior gaming experience.

bassman
22-May-2009, 04:26 PM
Yeah, hd support is great and all but sony and MS are already doing that.

I don't mean to derail the thread, but speaking of HD for the 360...does anyone have their 360 hooked up through HDMI? Any ideas on where to get a 360 HDMI cord? The official cord from MS is over 50 dollars and only 3ft, I think. I'm not paying that much for a chord, but definitely want the HDMI....

krakenslayer
22-May-2009, 04:35 PM
I don't mean to derail the thread, but speaking of HD for the 360...does anyone have their 360 hooked up through HDMI? Any ideas on where to get a 360 HDMI cord? The official cord from MS is over 50 dollars and only 3ft, I think. I'm not paying that much for a chord, but definitely want the HDMI....

When I worked in Zavvi (a high street music/movie/games retailer), we sold generic HDMI cables for £5. Shouldn't be hard to find one cheap in stores.

bassman
22-May-2009, 04:37 PM
When I worked in Zavvi (a high street music/movie/games retailer), we sold generic HDMI cables for £5. Shouldn't be hard to find one cheap in stores.

That's where MS gets ya. The connector to the 360 isn't your generic HDMI port. So it HAS to have the same connector as the 360.

darth los
22-May-2009, 04:57 PM
Also, don't forget that you get what you pay for dude. Even if there was an hdmi cord for under 50 bucks i wouldn't touch it without some verification if it's a quality product or not.

I bought mine from gamestop for 50$ and it works great.

CooperWasRight
22-May-2009, 10:20 PM
That's where MS gets ya. The connector to the 360 isn't your generic HDMI port. So it HAS to have the same connector as the 360.

As far as I know the 360 is 1.2 and 1.3 compatible pretty much and hdmi chord you find that is being sold new will work.

bassman
22-May-2009, 11:30 PM
Here's what i'm talking about:

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4718857/057_Full.jpg

The grey cord on the right side of the above image. That's the audio/video cord for the 360. The port is much wider than your average HDMI cable(pictured below).

http://www.k1cable.com/images/hdmi_000.jpg

Darth is probably right, though. Might as well bite the bullet and shell out the 50 bucks for something that will actually work...

Exatreides
22-May-2009, 11:30 PM
I think you just have to break the plastic bit in the back to get a regular one to fit. Or so I'm told, my Launch day 360 is still kicking, not like karate bruce lee kicks, it freezes up sometimes. more like a drunken jack chan trying to kick a chair at a group of triads who stole his sister, while combating narcolepsy.

CooperWasRight
23-May-2009, 12:35 AM
Here's what i'm talking about:

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4718857/057_Full.jpg

The grey cord on the right side of the above image. That's the audio/video cord for the 360. The port is much wider than your average HDMI cable(pictured below).

http://www.k1cable.com/images/hdmi_000.jpg

Darth is probably right, though. Might as well bite the bullet and shell out the 50 bucks for something that will actually work...

That is not the hdmi port.

This is the hdmi porthttp://simple-pc.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/128348-1-1.jpg
If you have a first gen 360 core you don't have a hdmi port. There is no such thing as a different sized hdmi port... It is universal... Like coaxial usb,firewire or s/pdif

Rottedfreak
23-May-2009, 06:09 AM
All this talk of future Nintendo consoles is fine but the Wii does seem to have a few things to offer gamers until the end of the year with Overlord dark Legend, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, maybe The Conduit and Cursed Mountain will be decent and Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles and Dead Space Extraction both seem promising though they are rail shooters rather then free roam.

bassman
23-May-2009, 05:01 PM
Yup, I don't have the HDMI port on my 360. Here goes 50 bucks down the drain...f*ck..