PDA

View Full Version : If you were doing a Romero zombie-thon at home...

MoonSylver
22-May-2009, 01:51 AM
...what is your preferred order of viewing? I'm on vacation this week & thinking of giving all 5(6) a go. Back in the day when it was just 3 that was easy: watch 'em in order. When 90 came out, still no big deal: watch 'em in order still (68 & 90 making nice bookends as it were)

When I started thinking about it today, it suddenly occurred to me, there's different ways I could put this one together just to add some spice. For example, both Nights, then Diary (because they're all "in the beginning"), then Dawn, then Land, & finally Day (reason for the transpose of Land/Day? Because thematically Day FEELS like the end. Not just the end of the series, but the end of EVERYTHING...)

So...any thoughts? (Having said all that I STILL may end up just going in order...):lol:

Mike70
22-May-2009, 02:02 AM
ok, i'll play since i don't think this is intended to start yet another and very boring (to me at least) timeline arguement. i got sick of those like in 01 or so.

anyhoo, since i am all about the ancient world i have watched the films in media res meaning you start in the middle and then tell the beginning of the story in flashback, then you move on to the end. it is a literary device. simply that and nothing more.

day
night 68
diary
dawn
land

i really don't care if diary is supposed to be part of new cycle or whatever. i have watched them in this order before and it works nicely.

gary
22-May-2009, 02:08 AM
why not just watch night 68 5 times and be done with it. :D

capncnut
22-May-2009, 02:11 AM
Night, Dawn, Day... it ends there.

That said, I do love a ZFE, Manchester Morgue, and Tombs triple bill. :cool:

I once did Night three times in one 'night' before. Wasn't bored for one second, bro. When Ben and co. leave the farmhouse, that music gives me a hard on, pure goosebumps. I think I replayed that scene at least ten times in a row.

MoonSylver
22-May-2009, 02:17 AM
ok, i'll play since i don't think this is intended to start yet another and very boring (to me at least) timeline arguement. i got sick of those like in 01 or so.

Oh NO, it's DEFINITELY not THAT. Just thinking of other ways to watch them rather than straight in order (that they were MADE. I should have clarified.)

anyhoo, since i am all about the ancient world i have watched the films in media res meaning you start in the middle and then tell the beginning of the story in flashback, then you move on to the end. it is a literary device. simply that and nothing more.

day
night 68
diary
dawn
land

That's an interesting one! Cool!

:lol:
I can't argue with that!

DubiousComforts
22-May-2009, 02:23 AM
Why only five times when you can fit at least 12 viewings back to back in roughly 24 hours? :D

When Ben and co. leave the farmhouse, that music gives me a hard on, pure goosebumps. I think I replayed that scene at least ten times in a row.
If you're talking about the music when Judy runs past Cooper out the front door, believe it or not, the original cue is titled Fire. It easily one of my favorite pieces of music in the entire film.

MoonSylver
22-May-2009, 02:27 AM

I knew someone would say that. :lol:

That said, I do love a ZFE, Manchester Morgue, and Tombs triple bill.

Yeah, there are some other non-Romero one that I like to make double & triple features of.

"Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things" & "Let Sleeping Corpse Lie" (The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue) make good companion pieces to me.

Zombie (Zombi 2, Zombie Fleaheaters), The Gates of Hell & The Beyond is another good one.

Hell of the Living Dead, Burial Ground:the Nights of Terror, & Nightmare City is another (for Italian euro-sleaze anyway!) :lol:

capncnut
22-May-2009, 02:35 AM
If you're talking about the music when Judy runs past Cooper out the front door, believe it or not, the original cue is titled Fire. It easily one of my favorite pieces of music in the entire film.
Quite agree, Jim.

That piece of music still makes the hairs on my body stand up. Coupled with the urgency of the scene overall really takes my breath away. It's probably my favourite part of the movie.

"Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things" & "Let Sleeping Corpse Lie" (The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue) make good companion pieces to me.

Zombie (Zombi 2, Zombie Fleaheaters), The Gates of Hell & The Beyond is another good one.

Hell of the Living Dead, Burial Ground:the Nights of Terror, & Nightmare City is another (for Italian euro-sleaze anyway!) :lol:
Children and Beyond are fantastic. Nightmare City still remains in my collection on VHS, but, as yet, unseen.

MoonSylver
22-May-2009, 02:48 AM
Children and Beyond are fantastic. Nightmare City still remains in my collection on VHS, but, as yet, unseen.

It's....an interesting one....:lol:
See the other two I paired it up with to get a feel of about where it stands.;)
If you like that sort of thing (as I do), then you'll dig it.

capncnut
22-May-2009, 03:03 AM
Actually, I really enjoyed Hell Of The Living Dead (for what it was) so maybe I should give NC spin. :cool:

ProfessorChaos
22-May-2009, 03:30 AM
i just own land and diary for completionist's rationale...even if i had the time, i'd just watch the big three, maybe throwing in night 90 for the hell of it.

AcesandEights
22-May-2009, 03:40 PM

Too true, though--to be honest...if you really wanted the whole run I'd start with Diary to get it out of the way and then either move to Land and then proceed through the original series in order. Another option may be...

Warm up session:
Night 90 (start off with a bang & cheating a bit to do it)
Diary of the Dead
***Note: you may swap the above two around to suit your taste***
Land of the Dead
--The above gives you a run from outbreak, through to post outbreak--

End strong with:

Night
Dawn
Day

darth los
28-May-2009, 08:06 PM
i just own land and diary for completionist's rationale

Damn, and I thought I was the ONLY one who felt that way. :lol:

Too true, though--to be honest...if you really wanted the whole run I'd start with Diary to get it out of the way and then either move to Land and then proceed through the original series in order. Another option may be...

Warm up session:
Night 90 (start off with a bang & cheating a bit to do it)
Diary of the Dead
***Note: you may swap the above two around to suit your taste***
Land of the Dead
--The above gives you a run from outbreak, through to post outbreak--

End strong with:

Night
Dawn
Day

Well, my response to P.C.'s post says it all. Imo, the other films soil the trilogy so it wouldn't matter in what order they were played as long as NOTLD & 90', Dawn and Day where played in a row.

Also, for historic value nothing beats the original NOTLD, however, I'd prefer to watch the remake if given a choice and especially if showing it to someone for the first time.

:cool:

major jay
28-May-2009, 11:28 PM
Actually, I really enjoyed Hell Of The Living Dead (for what it was) so maybe I should give NC spin. :cool:

I strongly recommend smoking a fatty before viewing.

How about a pre Romero triple feature of Invisible Invaders, Last Man On Earth, and Carnival of Souls.

axlish
29-May-2009, 01:14 AM
Start with Night68, then watch Dawn.

(throw the rest of them in the garbage and watch Night 68 and Dawn again, then pop in the Dawn remake lol)

Mike70
30-May-2009, 05:09 AM
How about a pre Romero triple feature of Invisible Invaders...

Holy shite!

that is a totally cool old school scifi film and it does have some serious pre-romero overtones to it.

man, you dudes never fail to amaze me. our collective geekdom is probably enough to implode a small galaxy, in fact someone should calculate the escape velocity of aforementioned geekdom.

this doubly weird because i just watched "invisible invaders" the other night.

sammylou
04-Jun-2009, 06:41 PM
When I did it, I just skipped Night '90 and did Night, Dawn, Day, Land, then Diary. Is '90 even that great? I've never seen it, just a couple bits and pieces. Or you could always add in everyone's favorite, Day '08:lol:

AcesandEights
04-Jun-2009, 07:56 PM
Is '90 even that great? I've never seen it, just a couple bits and pieces. Or you could always add in everyone's favorite, Day '08:lol:

Depends on who you ask and, of course, your own personal preferences. I thought it was good and pretty enjoyable.

Consider giving it a shot some time and see what you think.

MoonSylver
04-Jun-2009, 10:40 PM
When I did it, I just skipped Night '90 and did Night, Dawn, Day, Land, then Diary. Is '90 even that great? I've never seen it, just a couple bits and pieces.

IMO, yes, it is. Great cast, great performances, Takes the familiar story you know & love & tweaks EVER SO SLIGHTLY so that it's not a carbon copy. To me, it should be the template that all remakes are based on. Faithful enough to the original that you're not shitting all over it & pissing off people who loved it, but bringing a LITTLE something fresh & new to the table.

The 2 Nights make great companion pieces IMO. It's kinda like watching all 3 cuts (especially the 2 American cuts vs the Argento cut). Same story, slightly different perspective.

I've long thought of it as almost like a revival of a play that hasn't been onstage in a number of years. You bring it back with a new cast & a slightly different interpretation & breathe new life into it.

Only downside is the lack of gore necessary to secure an "R" rating, but it's a MINOR quibble that I can easily overlook compared to all the positives.

bassman
04-Jun-2009, 10:51 PM
I usually go in order with Night, Dawn, Day and Land. Then if there's time...Diary. But that one's not necessary, imo.

DawnGirl27
12-Jun-2009, 09:00 PM
I usually go in order with Night, Dawn, Day and Land. Then if there's time...Diary. But that one's not necessary, imo.

Agreed. There will never be time, imo, for me to show anyone Diary. :|

Yojimbo
12-Jun-2009, 09:06 PM
Back in the Day of the Dead VHS release days, I did a viewing with some friends - mini marathon, if you will - with NOLD 68, DAWN 78, and DAY. We had Jack Daniels served in styrofoam cups, spam, crackers and cheese. Couldn't afford caviar, but you get the idea.

Regarding NOLD 90, I agree that it is very much worthwhile, and is one of the only remakes that I like.