PDA

View Full Version : Smoking, the MPAA, and the stupidity of it all

DjfunkmasterG
29-May-2009, 12:59 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/28/ent.movie.smoking/index.html

This is getting beyond stupid, it has crossed into full blown absurdity.

bassman
29-May-2009, 01:23 PM
yeah...stupid. I remember the first time I saw the word "smoking" listed as a reason for the rating on one of those green screens before trailers. Blew my mind. Scenes of violence, foul language...and smoking? WTF?

Next it will be characters eating foods with high cholesterol...

BillyRay
29-May-2009, 03:37 PM
Well, smoking is Bad For You...

And we all know that anything Bad For You should be censored in much the same way as violence, nudity, or swearin' words. Can't let the precious snowflakes see actual normal human behavior in a movie. It might give 'em the wrong idea.

Won't somebody PLEEZ THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!?

I'm a little steamed...My state just passed a pretty comprehensive "No smokin' in bars" bill. The Nanny State, and the nervous/smug attitudes that empower it, are really killing the spirit of independance in this country.

darth los
29-May-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, smoking is Bad For You...

And we all know that anything Bad For You should be censored in much the same way as violence, nudity, or swearin' words. Can't let the precious snowflakes see actual normal human behavior in a movie. It might give 'em the wrong idea.

Won't somebody PLEEZ THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!?

I'm a little steamed...My state just passed a pretty comprehensive "No smokin' in bars" bill. The Nanny State, and the nervous/smug attitudes that empower it, are really killing the spirit of independance in this country.

And what state would that be?

:cool:

AcesandEights
29-May-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm a little steamed...My state just passed a pretty comprehensive "No smokin' in bars" bill.

It sucks, eh? Happened here what seems like ages ago, but it does make a difference in clubs and bars and I feel it does make people less likely to smoke habitually. I certainly don't think it's right to have across the board ban, however.

Maybe making allowances for proprietors who wish to have smoker-friendly establishments, as long as they meet certain criteria and posted warnings at the door, but that just won't sit with the powers-that-be.

MinionZombie
29-May-2009, 04:22 PM
We've got the same retards in the UK who want Casablanca and all movies with smoking in them to be rated 18 - what a bunch of c**ts, quite frankly. Utter bullshit.

Kids growing up in a household where the parents are puffing away at fags all day long is what will make them smoke, as well as bending to peer pressure at school. Not a movie.

Utterly pathetic losers.

Oh, and I'm a non-smoker by the way, who 95% supports the UK smoking ban - although I do think there should be a chance for a certain number of pubs/bars to gain a smoking license, so that they can be smoking bars, while other bars are non-smoking - so the punters can choose what they want.

Either that or you can step outside onto the verranda or whatever that almost all pubs and bars have these days to suck on a cancer stick, so whatever.

These losers though, are utter numpties.

darth los
29-May-2009, 05:02 PM
We've got the same retards in the UK who want Casablanca and all movies with smoking in them to be rated 18 - what a bunch of c**ts, quite frankly. Utter bullshit.

Kids growing up in a household where the parents are puffing away at fags all day long is what will make them smoke, as well as bending to peer pressure at school. Not a movie.

Utterly pathetic losers.

Oh, and I'm a non-smoker by the way, who 95% supports the UK smoking ban - although I do think there should be a chance for a certain number of pubs/bars to gain a smoking license, so that they can be smoking bars, while other bars are non-smoking - so the punters can choose what they want.

Either that or you can step outside onto the verranda or whatever that almost all pubs and bars have these days to suck on a cancer stick, so whatever.

These losers though, are utter numpties.

I think one of the things going on with cases like this is that the gov't is trying to govern behavior that there is really no sure fire way of regulating.

For example, most of us would agree that kids smoking is not a good thing. But they have to make it atleast LOOK like they're doing something. So....symbolic nonsense like this is made into law.

:cool:

SRP76
29-May-2009, 08:45 PM
That's hilarious. Smoking gets its own rating hit, yet showing crackheads in your movie doesn't bump the rating, unless they happen to offer to suck someone's dick for a cheeseburger at sme point in the film.

And on the off-topic topic of the smoking ban in bars, that's just as funny. Can't have something unhealthy going on there, for God's sake! Just good, clean binge-drinking allowed.

Danny
29-May-2009, 10:43 PM
i hate smoking and love sitting in restaurants and pubs now and not getting a thick stream of grey green smog in my face when i try to walk past anyone- BUT!, people smoke, its retarded, and my mind boggles when i see people like my 15 year old cousin start when they know its bad but it happens, its not some dark secret or something, so it shouldnt be seen as an 18 rated film when you get murder and stuff in 12a's nowadays.
first they'll try and make it so hellboy cant smoke his trademark cigars, then they'l go after the A team.

THEN WHAT CAN HE DO WHEN HE IS ENJOYING THAT A SERIES OF EVENTS HAVE RECENTLY COME TOGETHER?!?

C5NOTLD
30-May-2009, 02:44 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/28/ent.movie.smoking/index.html

This is getting beyond stupid, it has crossed into full blown absurdity.

Don't worry - kids can still get their R rated smoking thrills for free from watching tv shows including vintage tv programs such as Bewitched, Emergency, Adam 12 and other "tainted" shows which all have smoking characters in them from time to time. :lol:

The MPAA's intelligence is on par with most politicians.:eek:

MaximusIncredulous
30-May-2009, 02:50 AM
R rating for smoking. I feel so much better now that kids can't see smoking in a film.

I would feel even safer if they CGId all the smoking out of old films. Bogart with a lollipop would be so awesome! :rolleyes:

Mike70
30-May-2009, 05:03 AM
interesting and touchy topic. i feel that smoking has no place in G rated movies at all. as far as PG i think it depends on the topic. for instance, a PG movie based in say the 20s, when smoking was totally pervasive, wouldn't really be "accurate" without smoking, this is esp. true if you are trying to tell a "historical" story. i've always felt that a period story should fully reflect the time and all its cultural aspects as accurately as possible.

as far as PG-13 and above, just stop whining and enjoy the damn movie.

MinionZombie
30-May-2009, 09:52 AM
The thing with smoking is - it's also passive - drinking isn't passive.

You can sit next to someone getting smashed off their tits (which I don't agree with either), but you'll stay sober as a judge (a proper judge anyway).

Smoking though, you sit anywhere near them, or even in the same building (e.g. pub), you'll come out stinking of their smoke, your lungs red hot and raspy, your hair smoggy, and you've been breathing in the smoke coming from the lit end of the fag, so it's not even filtered smoke you're passively breathing in.

Drinking isn't passive, smoking is - that's the key distinction.

MikePizzoff
30-May-2009, 05:11 PM
puffing away at fags

http://cristal.inria.fr/~harley/ecdl3/pics/butthead.gif
Huhuhuhuhuuhuhuhuh you said...

Publius
01-Jun-2009, 04:35 PM
The thing with smoking is - it's also passive - drinking isn't passive.

On the other hand, drinking has a greater effect on one's behavior and judgment (and therefore interactions with others) than smoking. Someone who's been drinking is more likely to try to start a fight with you, crash their car into you, etc. than someone who's been smoking.

MinionZombie
01-Jun-2009, 04:55 PM
On the other hand, drinking has a greater effect on one's behavior and judgment (and therefore interactions with others) than smoking. Someone who's been drinking is more likely to try to start a fight with you, crash their car into you, etc. than someone who's been smoking.
Provided a bunch of "if" variables are fulfilled.

Plus there's plenty of sleepy drunks and happy drunks.

Publius
01-Jun-2009, 10:36 PM
Provided a bunch of "if" variables are fulfilled.

Plus there's plenty of sleepy drunks and happy drunks.

True, just like the "if" variables in whether tobacco use affects non-users. Some chew tobacco rather than smoking, some are considerate and smoke only outdoors, etc.

I agree with Mike70. It's reasonable for tobacco or alcohol to bump a movie from G to PG, but shouldn't be a consideration in any rating above that.