PDA

View Full Version : Original Star Wars

zombie04
18-May-2006, 01:23 AM
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/star-wars20.html

Nothing special about the cover art, but I know I'll still be buying them.

DjfunkmasterG
18-May-2006, 10:52 AM
Oh I will be shelling out my $50.00 I know that for sure. Although I really dig the comparison discs I have where they pit the old vs. the newer versions of the original 3. It is kinda nice to see that stuff.

MaximusIncredulous
18-May-2006, 10:57 AM
Cover art is kinda tacky but I'll be buying these suckers in a heartbeat.

EvilNed
18-May-2006, 11:09 AM
George Lucas kind of killed the Star Wars fan in me with Episode 3.

Eyebiter
18-May-2006, 11:26 AM
What's wrong with Star Wars?

http://www.jedidigital.com/images/jar-jar-binks2.jpg

EvilNed
18-May-2006, 11:29 AM
Nothing. It's great. At least if you mean the pre-1990's Star Wars.

bassman
18-May-2006, 11:57 AM
George Lucas kind of killed the Star Wars fan in me with Episode 3.

And Episode 1 didn't? I thought 3 was the best out of the new trilogy....

Scott
18-May-2006, 12:07 PM

I agree, I thought Episode 3 was an improvement over Episodes 1 and 2, not saying it was anything close to the original trilogy, just saying an improvement.

EvilNed
18-May-2006, 01:36 PM

Episode 1 was leagues better than Episode 2 and 3. Why? Becaue it had a plot, Liam Neeson, and some nice swordfights. Episode 2 and 3 lacked plot AND good swordfights. Besides, any film that is being anchored by Hayden Christiansen just plain out sucks.

Episode 1 is bad, don't get me wrong. But it's way superior to Episode 2 and 3.

bassman
18-May-2006, 01:54 PM
Episode 1 was leagues better than Episode 2 and 3. Why? Becaue it had a plot, Liam Neeson, and some nice swordfights. Episode 2 and 3 lacked plot AND good swordfights. Besides, any film that is being anchored by Hayden Christiansen just plain out sucks.

Episode 1 is bad, don't get me wrong. But it's way superior to Episode 2 and 3.

It's the other way around for me. 3 is the best and 1 is the worst.

This is my order of favorites from best to worst(out of ALL Star Wars films):

Empire, Jedi, Hope, Sith, Clones, Menace

EvilNed
18-May-2006, 01:59 PM
I hate Episode 3 for the same reason I hate Blade 2, really. Crap director, no plot and crap action scenes (but lots of them).

From best to worst:

Empire, ANH, Jedi, Phantom, Clones, ****.

Adrenochrome
18-May-2006, 02:03 PM
I hate Episode 3 for the same reason I hate Blade 2, really. Crap director, no plot and crap action scenes (but lots of them).

From best to worst:

Empire, ANH, Jedi, Phantom, Clones, ****.
Episode 3 should have been named Star Wars III: The Bush and Iraq sh*t.

erisi236
18-May-2006, 02:28 PM
heh, that animated Clone Wars was better then all 3 perquiles :D

bassman
18-May-2006, 03:34 PM
I hate Episode 3 for the same reason I hate Blade 2, really. Crap director, no plot and crap action scenes (but lots of them)

What??? Quillermo Del Toro is a damn good director. Actually, the only installment of the "Blade" series I liked was 2. The first was entertaining but the third one just flat out sucked.

Oh well, just different opinions, I guess. I like Del Toro's work.

Wait until you see his new film "Pan's Labyrinth". Looks like some good stuff...

EvilNed
18-May-2006, 03:53 PM
Thousands of cutaways and an overload of CGI might appeal to some people, but Guillermos ways of handling fights is just a plague in my eyes.

bassman
18-May-2006, 04:02 PM
Thousands of cutaways and an overload of CGI might appeal to some people, but Guillermos ways of handling fights is just a plague in my eyes.

No, I don't like alot of quick "cutaways" in fight sequences. He didn't use that technique too much in "Blade 2". I also didn't find it to be an overload of CG. Just when needed.

I was never a fan of the "Hellboy" comics but Del Toro made a very entertaining flick out of that one. For awhile he was connected to direct the "Halo" movie, too...

Something just occured to me....you made the analogy of crap director between "Episode 3" and "Blade 2". You do realize that Lucas directed ALL of the films in the NEW trilogy, right?...

EvilNed
18-May-2006, 04:13 PM
Yes, I know Lucas did that. And all the new films sucked.

Blade 2s fighting scenes were much sloppier made than the first Blades. Everytime Blade did something, there was a new shot or angle of it. Very distracting. And CG only when necessary? Like when Blade and that vampire chick fight in Mortal Kombat style, and their entire bodies are CG for like a full minute? Why was that necessary?

bassman
18-May-2006, 04:20 PM
Yes, I know Lucas did that. And all the new films sucked.

Blade 2s fighting scenes were much sloppier made than the first Blades. Everytime Blade did something, there was a new shot or angle of it. Very distracting. And CG only when necessary? Like when Blade and that vampire chick fight in Mortal Kombat style, and their entire bodies are CG for like a full minute? Why was that necessary?

It's been awhile since I last saw "Blade 2". Are they not doing crazy flips across the room and sh*t like that?

I thought you liked "Menace"? Or did you mean it's your favorite out of the new trilogy but still not good?

It's funny that the two "Star Wars" films that are generally the best received were not even written or directed by Lucas. They should have brought back Kasdan and Kirshner for the new films...

EvilNed
18-May-2006, 05:00 PM
Actually, ANH and Empire are the two films that are generally best recieved Star Wars films. ANH was written and directed by Lucas. Alot of people think that ROTJ was the beginning of the end for Star Wars, being turned into a childish brainless adventure. But it should be noted that Lucas practically directed ROTJ, even though he was not credited for it.

And yes, as I said before, Menace is my favorite of the prequels. But I don't like them.

As for the Blade 2 scene, it's a long "Mortal Kombat" shot off them doing stuff and it looks REALLY fake.

bassman
18-May-2006, 05:09 PM
Well, okay.....I'll let it go at that, I guess.

Judging by this and a few other threads, I guess we just watch films differently.

I watch for entertainment....you nitpick:p

EvilNed
18-May-2006, 05:10 PM
If a film is well made, I can let myself sit back and be entertained. I find Blade 2 and Episode 3 to be pure crap in the entertainment department. I mean, an action film is supposed to have good action... right? That's why I love Blade 1, by the way.

Hawkboy
18-May-2006, 07:20 PM
Hell I love all the Star Wars flicks... Although I wish the original poster Art was used for these DVD's!

George Lucas kept the films at the same Flash Gordon serial type level for all six films where over zealous fans couldn't understand why the films had not "grown up" along with them.

Here's a random thought.... I feel the Light Saber fight from Episode I could be ranked as the greatest sword fight of all time! Right up there with Errol Flynn's Robin Hood and a few others....

Adrenochrome
18-May-2006, 07:26 PM
Here's a random thought.... I feel the Light Saber fight from Episode I could be ranked as the greatest sword fight of all time! Right up there with Errol Flynn's Robin Hood and a few others....
you're kidding, right?
Hell, the sword fight in The Princess Bride beat the crap out of Har Har Wars.

Dawg
18-May-2006, 07:28 PM
Why the hell can't movie companies ever release movies on dvd with the original movie posters? Is that so hard? The painted ones were nice. Instead we get a montage of images pasted together.

:dead: Dawg

EvilNed
18-May-2006, 07:40 PM
you're kidding, right?
Hell, the sword fight in The Princess Bride beat the crap out of Har Har Wars.

While the sword fight in Episode 1 is really great, (best part of the film) and blows anything Episode 2 and 3 has to offer out of the water, the swordfight in The Princess Bride reigns supreme.

MaximusIncredulous
18-May-2006, 07:44 PM
Why the hell can't movie companies ever release movies on dvd with the original movie posters? Is that so hard? The painted ones were nice. Instead we get a montage of images pasted together.

I've always wondered that myself. Maybe the studio is too cheap to pay the artist royalties so they whip up a quick cut 'n paste which, they figure, looks better in the Wal-Mart bargin bin anyway.

bassman
19-May-2006, 12:44 PM

You're right.....and I think I just noticed something. If you look at the cover for "Empire", is that picture of Vader with his hand out not the same one from an "Episode 3" poster?:shifty: