PDA

View Full Version : From the set... Sort off

EvilNed
05-Jun-2009, 12:37 PM
A friend of mine was working in Canada on a few TV-commercials a month ago. On set he met alot of people who had been working on this film. ALL of them said they hated working on this film. The mood was kinda bad and it was raining ALL the time.

I don't know, kinda interesting to hear that kinda stuff anyway.

Minerva_Zombi
14-Jun-2009, 05:24 PM
People hated working on The Shining too...

krakenslayer
14-Jun-2009, 07:58 PM
A friend of mine was working in Canada on a few TV-commercials a month ago. On set he met alot of people who had been working on this film. ALL of them said they hated working on this film. The mood was kinda bad and it was raining ALL the time.

I don't know, kinda interesting to hear that kinda stuff anyway.

Hmm... this combined with the lack of information doesn't really fill me with confidence. From what I've read Night, Dawn, Day and even Diary had a great buzz on set, so it doesn't exactly bode well. That said, the bitching about the weather at least hints at a cause for the pissy mood other than the movie itself turning out badly.

I still have strong hopes for this, and will share Minerva's implied optimism until I see the movie for myself.

MinionZombie
15-Jun-2009, 09:48 AM
But of course with Night through Day, they were mainly working with friends primarily - Land, Diary and now "...of the Dead" are different.

For example - zombie extras - they can no longer get fans in, it has to be Canadian extras who are unionised.

Also, a lot of the old movie-making group of GAR's from back in the day are dead, or they've moved on to other things, or literally moved location (GAR himself has too). However - that's life.

So it would be unfair to try and slam the new flicks because of that, especially when we've not seen the new flick, and that it's some comment "from a friend of a friend" - what's the full story? Otherwise, it's just gossip.

A bad-mood set doesn't necessarily mean a bad flick, and was it the entire production, or just a few people across some of the departments littered about? Some gruelling shoots have also produced better films too.

EvilNed
19-Jun-2009, 12:02 PM
It was really just meant as interesting gossip. I've been on quite a few film sets, and 90% of the time, the crew hate the film they're working on. But then again, when the MOOD is bad, then there's something else at play. Then again, might just be the rain.

kenmnife
21-Jun-2009, 09:41 PM
unless u R the director or the onscreen talent, wouldnt working on most films be just that--work--not play (like being in a sport or a rock band) and not giving a person the feeling of being creative (like a painter, sculptor, writer)?

that being said, along with the comment about the rain, i hope the finished product will give its audience more of a happyhappyjoyjoy feeling than the crew felt during the creation of the film.

BTW wouldnt most fans of GAR's work have favorite n less fave films from his filmography? Let's face it, Night, Dawn, Day, Diary, etc. were not all created equal. Were they? If I thought that all Stones albums or all Who albums or even all Celine Dion recordings were equally good or equally bad, it would only mean that my critical value system was not very well honed. Wouldnt it? Any thoughts on any of these topics? an HPotD newcomer, kenmnife

krakenslayer
21-Jun-2009, 09:45 PM
unless u R the director or the onscreen talent, wouldnt working on most films be just that--work--not play (like being in a sport or a rock band) and not giving a person the feeling of being creative (like a painter, sculptor, writer)?

that being said, along with the comment about the rain, i hope the finished product will give its audience more of a happyhappyjoyjoy feeling than the crew felt during the creation of the film.

BTW wouldnt most fans of GAR's work have favorite n less fave films from his filmography? Let's face it, Night, Dawn, Day, Diary, etc. were not all created equal. Were they? If I thought that all Stones albums or all Who albums or even all Celine Dion recordings were equally good or equally bad, it would only mean that my critical value system was not very well honed. Wouldnt it? Any thoughts on any of these topics? an HPotD newcomer, kenmnife

Good point. And true. As EvilNed said, 90% of the time there is a bad mood on the set of any movie, just like in most jobs, because as you point out, being on the crew of a movie is just another job at the end of the day.

AcesandEights
22-Jun-2009, 01:53 PM
Good point. And true. As EvilNed said, 90% of the time there is a bad mood on the set of any movie, just like in most jobs, because as you point out, being on the crew of a movie is just another job at the end of the day.

Yup. It might just mean that GAR is cracking down or trying to get as much out of his people as his budget will allow etc. Or it could circumstantial, perhaps relating to the conditions and location of the shoot etc.

Trin
22-Jun-2009, 04:33 PM
Even in my most pessimistic I don't believe I'll read much into the mood on the set.

MinionZombie
22-Jun-2009, 05:02 PM
Even in my most pessimistic I don't believe I'll read much into the mood on the set.
Aye - plus, if you've got a bunch of grumpy bastards, obviously the "mood" is gonna be bad - because people are being grumpy, and infecting others with their grumpiness - either that or these people talked to are exclusively the grumpy ones.

If they're so grumpy, fuck off and find another job.

EvilNed
05-Jul-2009, 07:47 PM

Actually, I said that 90% of the time, the people hate the film they're working on. Not that the mood is bad.

However, George seems to have confirmed in the new interview that the rain was pretty much what fucked everything up. So the mood was probably bad.