PDA

View Full Version : MZ's epic Terminator 4 ("Salvation") rant...

MinionZombie
08-Jun-2009, 06:00 PM
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2009/06/long-winded-rant-about-terminator.html

Epic alright - the first half is totally spoiler-free, then there's a clear warning for a batch of spoiler related thoughts, then an alert to tell you that the spoilers are over - then the conclusion.

Put simply - I'd give it a "meh" on the MZ reaction-o-meter ... some bits kick ass, other bits kicked balls (and not in the 'good way' some people like when they're tied to a leather table in an Eastern European dungeon :lol:).

Not sure if it was just for our screening - but did anyone else notice a huge amount of people getting up throughout the entire movie going for a piss? :shifty::annoyed::rant::shifty:

Anyway - read away, and comment freely, folks. :cool:

bassman
08-Jun-2009, 07:08 PM
Characters-wise, let's see ... I don't understand anyone who has said that Anton Yelchin's Kyle Reese is anything like Michael Biehn's. I just sat there and I couldn't shake "Charlie Bartlett" or "that's the new Russian dude from Star Trek (which I've not seen yet)". I didn't recognise any Biehn in Yelchin's performance, so I've no idea what those who reckon there is, are thinking. It's not as bad as I was anticipating, but it doesn't set the world alight either.

I'm one of those people. I thought Yelchin was spot on as Biehn's Reese. From his first line to his last, he always seemed like a younger version of Biehn's character to me.:confused:

Yelchin and Worthington were the best actors in the flick, imo. As for the rest you mentioned....I agree.

MinionZombie
08-Jun-2009, 07:33 PM
I just don't get where this comparison between Yelchin and Biehn comes from - I saw absolutely no similarity - care to elaborate on your view of that issue?

bassman
08-Jun-2009, 07:47 PM
For starters he looks fairly similar to Beihn. A younger version, anyway.

His vocal patterns were the main thing that sold me on it. When he spoke, it was Beihn, imo. This was the biggest connection between the two.

The chase/fight with the moto-terminators was like watching Beihn from the first film. The way he handled the sawed off shotgun and the entire battle on the truck....it just felt like Reese from T1.

I dunno. I wasn't the only one who thinks so as I've seen alot of reviews that praise Yelchin's performance as Beihn's Reese and the people I saw the film with also agreed with me...

Edit: and his shoes were similar.:lol:

(that was just a joke, btw)

MinionZombie
09-Jun-2009, 09:55 AM
Weird, I didn't see any of that when I watched it. It's not a bad performance or anything, I'm not saying that, but I didn't see any connection to Biehn's memorable performance.

T4 Reese certainly did well in the moto-chase though.

Neil
09-Jun-2009, 10:16 AM
I was considering going to see it... But more and more mediocre (meh!) reviews seem to be coming out... I'll wait for it to come out on DVD :)

MinionZombie
09-Jun-2009, 10:44 AM
I was considering going to see it... But more and more mediocre (meh!) reviews seem to be coming out... I'll wait for it to come out on DVD :)
I will say that it looked good on the big screen, but you're probably not missing much by waiting for rental/DVD to be honest.

The sheer volume of people going in and out for a slash said it all really - "meh".

But it did tear the arse out of T3, hydrogen palm style.

Neil
09-Jun-2009, 03:44 PM
*Groan*

Possible idea for T5 from McG:-

...the sequel to Terminator: Salvation, will be set in London in the year 2011, with a time-travelling John Connor (Christian Bale).

FFS! It's been done to death and just gets more and more stupid, with robots going back in time trying to kill the lump of frog spawn in a pond that John Connor decended from! :rolleyes:

bassman
09-Jun-2009, 03:47 PM
That's IF McG gets the chance to make another. I hear that WB wasn't too hapy with the final film or how much money it made...

MinionZombie
09-Jun-2009, 05:40 PM
...the sequel to Terminator: Salvation, will be set in London in the year 2011, with a time-travelling John Connor (Christian Bale).

Sounds like a crap idea to me - especially after all their banging on about "how awesome" it is to be in the future (indeed, I agree, it was something different ... but something different done to "meh" standards), to then go back to doing another "present day" movie would be utterly stupid and massively hypocritical.

Bassman - apparently it did rather well in the UK, topping the charts this week - but I did read about 'them' not being happy with the US box office.

Really though, this is enough Terminator forever now - just leave it be, and (*gasps*) create something new.

ProfessorChaos
10-Jun-2009, 12:49 AM
no fucking way would i care to see another time-travelling terminator film. if they're gonna do another one, it'd best be set in the future, with a different director, and have lots and lots and lots of t800's making hamburger out of people (starting with that stupid fucking mute kid). i want to see some all out battles like the ones depicted in the glimpses into the future from the first 2 terminator films. anything less, no thanks.

nice summary, though, mz. but i'd have to agree with bassman and say that the new kyle reese did a great job...not only the resemblance, but the vocal patterns are spot-on, too.

MinionZombie
10-Jun-2009, 08:53 AM
no fucking way would i care to see another time-travelling terminator film. if they're gonna do another one, it'd best be set in the future, with a different director, and have lots and lots and lots of t800's making hamburger out of people (starting with that stupid fucking mute kid). i want to see some all out battles like the ones depicted in the glimpses into the future from the first 2 terminator films. anything less, no thanks.

Damn straight - I want full-on WAR - I want the beginning of T2 writ large across the silver screen.

but i'd have to agree with bassman and say that the new kyle reese did a great job...not only the resemblance, but the vocal patterns are spot-on, too.

I still don't get this resemblance.