PDA

View Full Version : License / royalties

korfx04
10-Jun-2009, 07:05 AM
What do you have to do or contact to show movies in public? i want to do this the right way but have yet to find any information regarding this.

Regards

Danny
10-Jun-2009, 07:17 AM
to be blunt, everyone. who owns the land you show it on, the films creators, its distributors, hell, probably even what format its being shown on. Though god knows ive been to low end of the totem pole festival before where they probably didnt even own the bootleg of the dvd they were showing.

Chic Freak
10-Jun-2009, 06:23 PM
What do you have to do or contact to show movies in public? i want to do this the right way but have yet to find any information regarding this.

Regards

Doesn't it say at the beginning of the movie, in all that info about where you can't show it without permission?

krakenslayer
10-Jun-2009, 06:51 PM

Regards

I would imagine that you would have to go to whomever holds the distribution rights in your country and ask them. If you sort it out with them, I would imagine they would also take care of the copyright owners, etc. for you.

I know a guy who arranged a screening of The Rocky Horror Picture show, he just had to arrange it with the theatre-owner and contact the distributors (Fox, I believe) who hired out a print of the movie to him for the event (at a cost).

DjfunkmasterG
11-Jun-2009, 12:33 PM
Contact the Studio who owns the film, call their general number and ask for the motion picture licnesing department.

Explain what you want to do.

If you can grab the DVD and just use a projector to blow it up onto a screen the fee is usually $150-$300

If you need the 35mm film print, contact a local theater manager and ask them to put you in touch with their film distributor.

Yojimbo
12-Jun-2009, 11:29 PM
It would depend on the movie. There are some that are nearly impossible or too costly to ever be able to screen.

DjfunkmasterG
17-Jun-2009, 12:12 PM
Not true Jimbo. The license rights to screen DAWN 78 at the H10 was the same amount it was to re-screen pirates of the Caribbean 1 while part 2 was playing (around $150-$200) per screening.

Yojimbo
22-Jun-2009, 10:35 PM
Not true Jimbo. The license rights to screen DAWN 78 at the H10 was the same amount it was to re-screen pirates of the Caribbean 1 while part 2 was playing (around $150-$200) per screening.

Dj, are the licensing fees preset regardless of film, or are they set by the copyright holder? That is to say, can Rubenstein charge whatever he chooses to whomever asks, or is there a limit to the amount under the law? The reason why I ask is because a local theater owner said that Rubenstein made it cost prohibitive to screen DOTD 78 during a recent retrospective. So either the theater owner is too cheap to spend $150-$200 or he was quoted something really high.