PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite period piece flick?

Kaos
13-Jun-2009, 05:34 AM
I love period pieces (movies set in a different period of history). Here a several of mine:

The 1880's: Tombstone
The 1920's: Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle, Chaplin, Shadow of the Vampire.
The 1930's: Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Devil's Backbone
The 1940's: Downfall, Saving Private Ryan, Biloxi Blues
The 1950's: Ed Wood, Naked Lunch, Hollywoodland
The 1970's: Dazed and Confused, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Metropolitan

You get the idea...so how bout yours?

ProfessorChaos
13-Jun-2009, 06:42 AM
the prestige
legends of the fall
there will be blood
flags of our fathers

these are the ones off the top of my head, but i'm sure i'll think of more later.

MaximusIncredulous
13-Jun-2009, 09:21 AM
TOMH, all I can think of right now is:

Amadeus
Apocalypse Now (too bad they couldn't get some HueyCobras in there)
Godfather Part II (Young Vito Corleone segments)

Tricky
13-Jun-2009, 12:17 PM
good choice on dazed & confused,i always feel happy after watching that one except for the fact i wasnt a teenager in the 70's!

capncnut
13-Jun-2009, 12:22 PM
I love Dazed And Confused. :cool:

MoonSylver
13-Jun-2009, 08:51 PM
I've probably got too many to think of, for some reason I was thinking of Mulholland Falls & LA Confidential the other day.

I love westerns, & a few I can think of that really seem to have captured the period well are Open Range, Unforgiven, The Assassination of Jessie James By the Coward Robert Ford, & Wyatt Earp

capncnut
13-Jun-2009, 10:02 PM
Okay, I've had time to think of a few.

Pre-1900's: Flesh And Blood, Nosferatu, Ravenous
1900's: 1900
1910's: The Wild Bunch, Titanic
1920's: Once Upon A Time In America
1930's: Raiders Of The Lost Ark
1940's: Saving Private Ryan, Salò
1950's: Angel Heart, Ed Wood, Heavenly Creatures, Last Exit To Brooklyn
1960's: The Doors, Full Metal Jacket, Withnail And I
1970's: Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, Dazed & Confused, Jacob's Ladder
1980's: This Is England

If I think of any more, I will add them.

Kaos
14-Jun-2009, 05:30 AM
I liked This is England a lot. Charming really.

SRP76
14-Jun-2009, 08:07 AM
The Untouchables, you uncultured slobs!:p

Get some Prohibition action.

blind2d
15-Jun-2009, 02:13 AM
Raiders, 24 Hour Party People, SPR, Back to the Future III, American Graffiti, Forest Gump, Last Crusade, and that's it I guess.

Tricky
15-Jun-2009, 11:34 AM
i love "stand by me" set in the 50's,i can watch that film anytime,takes me back to being a kid again & makes me feel all nostalgic (i wasnt born in the 50's obviously,but we used to go off on adventures as kids)
Another good one set in the 80's is "son of rambow", if you havent seen it check it out :D

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jun-2009, 11:58 AM
The 1800's: Tombstone; There Will Be Blood
The 1920's: Chaplin, Shadow of the Vampire.
The 1930's: The Untouchables, O'Brother Where Art Thou
The 1940's: Saving Private Ryan
The 1950's: Hollywoodland, Mulholland Falls
The 1970's: Saturday Night Fever; American Gangster; Dazed and Confused, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The 1980's: No Country For Old Men

capncnut
15-Jun-2009, 01:57 PM
Oh, let me add American Graffiti to my list as that was set in the early sixties but was made in 1973. Remarkable film.

bassman
15-Jun-2009, 04:12 PM
The Back To The Future Trilogy, Indiana Jones Series, Tombstone, The Prestige, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Titanic, Barry Lyndon, Brokeback Mountain, A League of Their Own, The Color Purple, Forrest Gump, Goodfellas, Empire of the Sun, Monty Python's Life of Brian, Ben Hur.

clanglee
20-Jun-2009, 12:13 AM
So wait. . .a period piece is any movie that isn't set in the current time period? That's a rather broad categorization. I never considered anything set after the industrial revolution as a period piece. I guess I see where you are coming from though, times changing as fast as they are and all, each decade seems different. But I would never consider anything set in the 80's or 90's a period piece. .per se.

MoonSylver
20-Jun-2009, 12:51 AM
So wait. . .a period piece is any movie that isn't set in the current time period? That's a rather broad categorization. I never considered anything set after the industrial revolution as a period piece. I guess I see where you are coming from though, times changing as fast as they are and all, each decade seems different. But I would never consider anything set in the 80's or 90's a period piece. .per se.

By the definition, a period piece should be aby ovie that is set in any other era other than the one it is currently made in IMO.

One thought that I had too was that there are movies that SEEM like period pieces NOW because they are very reflective of the time period they were made in, but were contemporary when they were made.

For example, I REALLY wanted to include "Road House", as that movie is SO over-the-top 80's, but at the time it seemed quite normal....:lol:

clanglee
20-Jun-2009, 12:53 AM
For example, I REALLY wanted to include "Road House", as that movie is SO over-the-top 80's, but at the time it seemed quite normal....:lol:

Over the Top is another good example!!

And does that mean that movies set in the future are period pieces?

MoonSylver
20-Jun-2009, 12:57 AM
Over the Top is another good example!!

And does that mean that movies set in the future are period pieces?

Hurm. Good question. I don't think so, as it would have to be an ACTUAL, HISTORICAL time period.

clanglee
20-Jun-2009, 01:01 AM
yeah. . I think I'll stick with my definition. Anything set in the last 50 years or so just doesn't seem to be a period movie to me.