PDA

View Full Version : Another F*CKING remake - Saturday Night Fever

DjfunkmasterG
14-Jun-2009, 10:11 PM
Heard on ET that Simon Cowell (American Idol) is in talks with Robert Stigwood, the original producer and copyright owner for SNF, to do a remake starring... (Let me try not to vomit) Zac Efron.

In addition, the entire Bee Gee's soundtrack will be re-done by Hip-Hop producer, Timbaland with different artists.

Now, you're telling me with all the fucking talent in Hollywood and the movie making world the best actor they could come up with to play Brooklyn teenager Tony manero is Zac Efron? WTF is wrong withh this picture?

SRP76
15-Jun-2009, 12:04 AM
Why even bother remaking this piece of shit? I never could see how people could like it.

MaximusIncredulous
15-Jun-2009, 12:12 AM
Oh yeah, this guy has Brooklyn written all over him :rolleyes:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/24/Zac_Efron_2007.jpg/230px-Zac_Efron_2007.jpg

Danny
15-Jun-2009, 01:02 AM
.......what?

ProfessorChaos
15-Jun-2009, 01:51 AM
i thought this kid was supposed to be doing the footloose remake?

both are totally fucking unnecessary remakes.

this world is getting more fucked up by the day.

MikePizzoff
15-Jun-2009, 01:58 AM
Oh yeah, this guy has Brooklyn written all over him :rolleyes:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/24/Zac_Efron_2007.jpg/230px-Zac_Efron_2007.jpg

I've never seen that guy before. However, I feel the sudden urge to punch him in the face.

blind2d
15-Jun-2009, 02:05 AM
What... the... faulk?.... But... you can't improve on the Beegees! They're timeless! Goddammit, this stinks to high heavens.

MinionZombie
15-Jun-2009, 09:54 AM
Yet more unnecessary remakes - and also, bloody pointless.

Like with Last House on the Left (as well said by Mark Kermode, UK film critic), these remakes are taking a movie of grand stature and removing them from their context - as such, the remakes become pointless and meaningless.

The reasons (or some of the reasons) why these movies have become such revered classics is because of the time in which they were made - and indeed, HOW they were made. This is what sets the originals apart from the remakes.

I wish Hollywood would hurry up and figure that out, and realise that "curiosity" isn't enough of a reason to justify the box office figures. I've been to a couple of these big ticket remakes - Hills Have Eyes (which I thoroughly enjoyed actually - I dig Aja's work, and the original wasn't amazing anyway), and Friday 13th (on Friday 20th :p, which I went to because a couple of mates were going and there was sod all else to go and see or do that night ... and a smidge of curiosity).

bassman
15-Jun-2009, 11:39 AM
This should do awesome at the Kid's Choice Awards....

:shifty::barf:

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jun-2009, 11:48 AM
Why even bother remaking this piece of shit? I never could see how people could like it.

You have obviously never grew up in a tough neighborhood with a tough italian family. That movie had so many deep themes, and was one of the best coming of age dramas ever produced, not too mention it was the first ever hybrid musical.

Imagine this, your whole life no one has ever told you have done anything good. Your fathers out of work, your mother gets dumped on by your father every day, and the only time something makes you feel good is when you are doing something that makes you feel good. In Tony's case its dancing, for which he is the king of the floor at the club in Brooklyn. It is the only time someone has ever told him he was good.

on a side note...

However, while I am not against this film being remade, I am against Zac Efron playing Tony Manero. All the talent in Hollywood that can't find someone to play Tony Manero? Jesus... hell even Adrian Grenier from Entourage would make a better Tony Manero. Alas, I doubt this movie will do well anyway. SNF is like a time capsule of the 1970's. Plus the language and overall tones of a typical 1970's Brooklyn neighborhood would never fly today. The original film played with not only racism, but rape, excessive strong language and complete mistreatment of women, which again won't fly in today's Hollywood.

AcesandEights
15-Jun-2009, 04:04 PM
Looks like it hasn't been said yet and, though I hate to beat Neil to the punch, it needs to be:

Oh, dear :eek:

MaximusIncredulous
15-Jun-2009, 05:36 PM
However, while I am not against this film being remade, I am against Zac Efron playing Tony Manero. All the talent in Hollywood that can't find someone to play Tony Manero? Jesus... hell even Adrian Grenier from Entourage would make a better Tony Manero. Alas, I doubt this movie will do well anyway. SNF is like a time capsule of the 1970's. Plus the language and overall tones of a typical 1970's Brooklyn neighborhood would never fly today. The original film played with not only racism, but rape, excessive strong language and complete mistreatment of women, which again won't fly in today's Hollywood.

I'm wondering if they're going to set this turd in the 70s. Given all the Yuppification that's going on, I wouldn't be surprised if they place the remake present day in an area like Park Slope, especially with a teenie bopper icon like Zac in the lead.

MinionZombie
15-Jun-2009, 06:00 PM
Yeah, you can just imagine Zac Efron being indifferent to the gang rape of his female 'friend/follower' in the back of the car on the bridge, and then calling her "a real c**t" (or whatever he said with the c-word in it) etc, and so on. :rolleyes:

I was stunned when I found out as an adult that it was actually an 18 rated film, which was then re-cut to be a PG so it could get to a wider audience. I'd always assumed it was PG, no doubt implanted even more due to its appearance in the family film Short Circuit (by the same director), but when at uni I was doing a Hollywood Musicals course, and SNF was one of the films in the final weeks and I was stunned to see it was an 18.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jun-2009, 06:03 PM
SNF was no joke in the 1970's. When films were real HARD rated R flicks. Todays R rated films are watered down.

MoonSylver
15-Jun-2009, 10:21 PM
I've never seen that guy before. However, I feel the sudden urge to punch him in the face.

He's the kid from that Disney crap that made a bazillion dollars "High School Musical". He's also banging his co-star from same (although I'm calling "beard" in this case...) THIS chick:

http://bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/vanessa-hudgens.jpg

She's the one that got in trouble for sending him nekkid pictures like THIS:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LNhJJWWBTdo/SGD47GgC7wI/AAAAAAAAC_8/OkT9FO9lD5k/s400/vanessa-hudgens-nude-sfw.jpg

So, yeah, if you see him, punch him TWICE in the face.:lol:

C5NOTLD
15-Jun-2009, 10:39 PM
Now, you're telling me with all the fucking talent in Hollywood and the movie making world the best actor they could come up with to play Brooklyn teenager Tony manero is Zac Efron? WTF is wrong withh this picture?

:lol:

I guess you won't be seeing the Welcome Back Kotter film with Zac Efron.

DubiousComforts
15-Jun-2009, 10:51 PM
I guess you won't be seeing the Welcome Back Kotter film with Zac Efron.
They're remaking Welcome Back Kotter?

Next thing you'll tell me is that some buffoon like Ice Cube is playing the Gabe Kaplan role. :p

blind2d
16-Jun-2009, 01:38 AM
Again, why the remakes? Does Hollywood have absolutely nothing better to do than churn out this filth time and again? See, this is where selling-out finds its darkest days. When you hack something to death repeatedly by remaking and rehashing the old to make it seem new. Humanity deserves better. - Noodle
Hold on, isn't that what we're doing with this band? - Murdoc
Who let you in here? - 2D

C5NOTLD
16-Jun-2009, 08:27 AM
They're remaking Welcome Back Kotter?

Next thing you'll tell me is that some buffoon like Ice Cube is playing the Gabe Kaplan role. :p

I was just joking and just thinking like a Hollywood executive. If Efron is good enough for Saturday Night Fever then he's good enough for Welcome Back Kotter :lol:

You probably don't have to worry about Ice Cube - they would undoubtedly cast Ben Stiller. :D

Then again I just found this:
http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1526043/03142006/story.jhtml

See Dub - dreams do come true.

kortick
16-Jun-2009, 08:34 AM
It was released as an R rated movie
then it was re re-released as PG film
so younger kids (who were buying disco
albums) could see it too.

I think it should be remade with
an all lesbian cast.
Get John Waters to rewrite and direct.

DjfunkmasterG
17-Jun-2009, 12:07 PM
It was released as an R rated movie
then it was re re-released as PG film
so younger kids (who were buying disco
albums) could see it too.

I think it should be remade with
an all lesbian cast.
Get John Waters to rewrite and direct.

LOL... I would probably go and see it if John Waters had a crack at it. His visions are so twisted and demented it would probably be quite enjoyable, but trying to wrap my head around Zac Efron playing a brooklynite is just not working for me at all.

deadkrank
22-Jun-2009, 09:35 PM
Like The Karate Kid remake I will ignore it. We dont need a remake to The Karate Kid and we dont need a Saturday Night Fever remake!

Yojimbo
23-Jun-2009, 02:07 AM
Fuck remakes and fuck Zac Effron.

I will, as a matter of principle, refuse to spend a square of toilet paper on anything that this talentless metro-boy piece of shit ever appears in.

And at the same time, fuck Miley Cyrus, and fuck Disney, and American Idol too.

Doc
23-Jun-2009, 02:35 AM
And at the same time, fuck Miley Cyrus, and fuck Disney, and American Idol too.

And all the other Disney Channel stars that every kid needs to worship for only god knows what reason...

blind2d
23-Jun-2009, 02:39 AM
I'm with you guys. Disney can go to hell.