PDA

View Full Version : CD burning question

Cody
15-Jun-2009, 03:49 PM
Okay so I have to burn 1.3Gigs of pictures and videos to a 4.7Gig blank dvd disk. I burned them using roxio and made a data disk. I also just dragged and droped the a file containing all the pictures and video to anoither disk. None of them will open in any other computer then the one I used to burn them. Any ideas?

3pidemiC
15-Jun-2009, 05:10 PM
Any time you want to copy data from one disc to another, you have to burn it again.

Cody
15-Jun-2009, 05:32 PM
Well no, I want to put the data on a disk and when I do it wont open on any other computer, all it is is pictures and videos from my camera

shootemindehead
15-Jun-2009, 06:08 PM
What program are you using to open the media? Photoshop etc?

Do the other PC's have the same programs?

Skippy911sc
15-Jun-2009, 07:12 PM
I think DVDs sometimes need to be finalized before they can be read on other pcs

bassman
15-Jun-2009, 07:41 PM
I think DVDs sometimes need to be finalized before they can be read on other pcs

That's what I was thinking. Maybe the disc needs to be closed?

Publius
15-Jun-2009, 08:36 PM
Does the disc work at all in the other computer? I.e., does it appear to be an unformatted disc to the other computer, or does it load but show as blank, or does it show the files that are supposed to be there but not let you open them?

Cody
15-Jun-2009, 08:50 PM
When I put it in any other computer it shows up asa blank disk

Neil
15-Jun-2009, 09:05 PM

Was it verified after burning? ALWAYS, if you can, tell the software to do a verification pass...

TBH, if sounds like nothing is on the disc?

shootemindehead
16-Jun-2009, 12:21 PM
Have you tried different burning software, like Nero or something, to see if you get the same results?

Publius
16-Jun-2009, 03:18 PM

Then you can put it back in your own computer and the files are there? Weird. I wonder if Roxio has a setting to create a backup/archive disc in some kind of proprietary format, so that you can only read it on a computer with Roxio installed.

Skippy911sc
16-Jun-2009, 06:23 PM
Get NERO

I have never had a problem with Nero.

But I would look real close at how you are burning this disc.

Make sure you are finalizing it (when completed).

I know when I burn any DVD I check the box to finalize the DVD when burning is complete.

Had a similar problem on my standalone DVD recorder...I didn't know I had to go through a finalizing process after completing and it would not read in any other DVD player...

Very frustrating.

DubiousComforts
16-Jun-2009, 07:23 PM
Quit fooling around with Roxio and get IMGBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/). It's FREE and it's the best burning program there is.

For your purposes, put the files that you want to back-up to disc in a folder on your hard drive. Use IMG Burn to create a disc image containing the folder and then burn the image it to disc. When you're done, just delete the temp. folder and disc image from your hard drive.

Btw, what operating system are you using?

Yojimbo
16-Jun-2009, 11:39 PM
Then you can put it back in your own computer and the files are there? Weird. I wonder if Roxio has a setting to create a backup/archive disc in some kind of proprietary format, so that you can only read it on a computer with Roxio installed.
Think this might be the problem. I had a client who brought in a disc with photos which my office PC could not open (actually, treated the disc as if it was a blank) Client had to bring in a new disc, but also had a self activating installer on it which put a Roxio reader on my system after which I could view these photos.

There are more user friendly applications that you can find out there that don't represent as much of a hassle as Roxio, IMO.

Cody
17-Jun-2009, 07:08 PM
Alright I figured out the problem, and thanks guys for all the help! Roxio apparently doesnt even ask you if you want to finalize after finished burning for some dumb reason. I'm not very impressed by that.