PDA

View Full Version : OK, Blu-Ray owners today is the day - GHOSTBUSTERS

DjfunkmasterG
16-Jun-2009, 12:28 PM
So who are you going to call?

June 16th, the day has finally arrived, Ghostbusters hits Blu-Ray... YES! So who ordered and who didn't?

Danny
16-Jun-2009, 04:37 PM
you bet your ass i ordered it.:cool:

MinionZombie
16-Jun-2009, 05:08 PM
I've got it on DVD already ... and I don't have a Blu-Ray anyway.

I did see the demo about BR on HD tellys in Currys last week though ... meh ... I don't see what the huge fuss is about. Sure it looks crisper, but bollocks is DVD that fudgy, especially when you're sitting 3m away (the optimum viewing distance). My folks were buying a new telly you see (which I set up for them this weekend past) ... it's HD 1080 ready though, for when they upgrade if they want ... but to be honest, sitting at the right distance SD looks perfectly fine on it - it's a 37" LCD.

I did see an LED telly in Currys though, which looked rather nice, plus it's 70% thinner than an LCD telly. Whenever I make a big upgrade in the future, I'll get an LED telly.

Still though, don't "get" this HD/BR fuss at all to be honest ... in fact, some of the HD samples being shown looked positively grainy, pixelly, or just wrong (there was a shot of Tobey Maguire at one point, and he just looked like a spotty teenager - no thanks).

Ghostbusters still rocks - the only thing I'll be missing out on is new extras - but hopefully this new doc being put together will come out separately too, or something...

darth los
16-Jun-2009, 05:11 PM
Still though, don't "get" this HD/BR fuss at all to be honest ... in fact, some of the HD samples being shown looked positively grainy, pixelly, or just wrong (there was a shot of Tobey Maguire at one point, and he just looked like a spotty teenager - no thanks).

I know right.

God forbid they appear as they actually are. :p

:cool:

capncnut
16-Jun-2009, 06:45 PM
It seems every-f**king-thing at this forum nowadays is about Ghost-f**king-busters. Might as well rename this place The Ghostbusters Homepage! :rolleyes:

darth los
16-Jun-2009, 07:20 PM
It seems every-f**king-thing at this forum nowadays is about Ghost-f**king-busters. Might as well rename this place The Ghostbusters Homepage! :rolleyes:

Hey this is the homepage of the dead right?

Ghosts are dead right? (even if some of them don't know it. lol)

So imo, it would stand to reason that people would be interested in it. No?

:cool:

bassman
16-Jun-2009, 07:24 PM
Not a bad Blu Ray. Only a handful of new special features compared to the standard dvds, but they're nice.

As someone that has watched this film more times than he can count, I can say that this transfer is awesome. The film looks SOOO good to my little Ghostbuster-bleached eyes.

Now....back to the kick ass video game...

capncnut
16-Jun-2009, 08:04 PM
So imo, it would stand to reason that people would be interested in it. No?
No. :p

I mean, I can deal with one or two threads but there's at least four or five concerning this children's movie bumping around the forums...

bassman
16-Jun-2009, 10:09 PM
I mean, I can deal with one or two threads but there's at least four or five concerning this children's movie bumping around the forums...

If you're talking about the second film and the cartoon series, I can see where you're coming from. But the original film isn't anywhere near a children's film, imo...

PS....all the threads are probably my fault. I talk about it too much. Sowwy.:o

MinionZombie
17-Jun-2009, 10:00 AM
If you're talking about the second film and the cartoon series, I can see where you're coming from. But the original film isn't anywhere near a children's film, imo...

PS....all the threads are probably my fault. I talk about it too much. Sowwy.:o
Damn straight, when I saw the movie for the first time in years at 21 years old when I bought the DVD in HMV while I was at uni, I was stunned by how many adult jokes were in it.

And it's not a kids movie, it's a family movie. :D

DjfunkmasterG
17-Jun-2009, 12:05 PM
I think even Family is pushing it. I bet if Ghostbusters were released today it would get a PG-13 rating. Back then they didn't have PG-13, so I would say GB is far from what I would consider a family movie.

MinionZombie
17-Jun-2009, 04:44 PM
I think even Family is pushing it. I bet if Ghostbusters were released today it would get a PG-13 rating. Back then they didn't have PG-13, so I would say GB is far from what I would consider a family movie.
Yeah, but parents and kids are pussies these days - back in my day Ghostbusters was a thoroughly family film, sex-jokes-and-all - they just shot way over my kid-head at the time, it was only when I saw it as an adult years later that I suddenly understood them all - such as Ray getting sucked off by a ghost. :lol:

capncnut
17-Jun-2009, 07:33 PM
Not coming across as a total Ghostbusters hater... jus' sayin'...

I disagree. I think if the library ghost at the beginning was toned down, ten seconds of swearing and about five seconds of 'Sigourney sexuality' was removed, Ghostbusters would be probably rated a U. Let's face it, everyone want's a pet Slimer! :D

I like the film but jeez!

DjfunkmasterG
17-Jun-2009, 08:27 PM
Yeah, but parents and kids are pussies these days - back in my day Ghostbusters was a thoroughly family film, sex-jokes-and-all - they just shot way over my kid-head at the time, it was only when I saw it as an adult years later that I suddenly understood them all - such as Ray getting sucked off by a ghost. :lol:

Hence why I say in todays rating system the film would be PG-13

capncnut
17-Jun-2009, 08:33 PM
PG13? :lol:

MinionZombie
18-Jun-2009, 10:18 AM
But today the effects would be far more involved, and it'd no doubt be more violent too. Just look at The Dark Knight, for instance.

They'd also probably have to inject a bunch of 'post 9/11 thought' into it as well...

DjfunkmasterG
18-Jun-2009, 11:34 AM

But today the effects would be far more involved, and it'd no doubt be more violent too. Just look at The Dark Knight, for instance.

They'd also probably have to inject a bunch of 'post 9/11 thought' into it as well...

You guys laugh, but think about the scenes that involve sex:

Ray getting Blown by a ghost
Sigourney weaver as Zuul trying to have sex with Venkmen
Hell, they smoke in the movie (That nowadays garners a film a rated R)

That is enough right there to garner a PG-13.

Show me one film today with that content that is rated PG only. You can't find a single one.

On a side note the HD transfer looks like crap. The film is extremely grainy and honestly doesn't look any better than my standard DVD release. Thank god I only paid $15.00 with free shipping. The Blu-Ray transfer is a huge let down, but the audio mix is good.

The new features are ho-hum at best, and the ported over features... well, already seen them. Considering the film is 25 years old you'd think they would have went all out to celebrate the 25th anniversary with a bang up Blu-Ray release.

bassman
18-Jun-2009, 11:54 AM
On a side note the HD transfer looks like crap. The film is extremely grainy and honestly doesn't look any better than my standard DVD release. Thank god I only paid $15.00 with free shipping. The Blu-Ray transfer is a huge let down, but the audio mix is good.

The new features are ho-hum at best, and the ported over features... well, already seen them. Considering the film is 25 years old you'd think they would have went all out to celebrate the 25th anniversary with a bang up Blu-Ray release.

"Crap" is a bit harsh, I would say. It is grainy, but I had seen a review saying that it has something to do with the film they used. Apparently this is about as good as it gets. Grain aside, it's WAAAYYY better than the "slime cover" dvd and is a bit better than the 1999 CE dvd.

The new special features were kinda cool, I thought. They couldn't dig up THAT much more as the previous dvds were already loaded. The Video Game making of was alright. Although the footage it uses is of an OLD version of the game. It doesn't look like that now. And the Ecto 1 refurbishment documentary was kinda exciting for me. Especially seeing Dan drive it around.:D

The Slimer Mode is the real meat and potatoes of the Blu Ray, though. Brand new interviews with everyone. Excluding Murray, of course.:rolleyes:

Now I've just got to sit back and wait for the proposed Special Edition Blu Ray of Ghostbusters 2 with loads of features...

DjfunkmasterG
18-Jun-2009, 12:36 PM
They could have done some noise reduction to the film, it would have helped remove some of the grain.

The last 3 Blu-Rays I have bought were very crappy in terms of PQ, and I never had this issue with my HD-DVD's. I think maybe one out of the plethora I won had a bad transfer and that was The Perfect Storm.

bassman
18-Jun-2009, 01:02 PM
:lol:

Our old pal, Dj. Still fighting the good fight for the dead format, HD DVD.

The GB BR has it's faults, but apparently this is as good as it gets for now. We've spoken with some of the people behind the restoration and they say they really did the best that they could.

And the best news for me was that they used the restoration from 1999 that was supervised by cinematographer Laszlo Kovacs. If you have the "slime cover" dvds, the color is off and the image is cropped. The 1999 disc was the "true" look of the movie. There were a few issues with it that were corrected for the BR, though. For instance, during the Hotel Segewick bust the proton streams and onionhead bled together to become one blob of a weird shade of green.

capncnut
18-Jun-2009, 05:23 PM
Show me one film today with that content that is rated PG only. You can't find a single one.
Logan's Run for starters. It celebrates recreational sex and shows it, Jenny Agutter goes full frontal, the scene at the surgery store with Doc and Holly was pretty shocking, in fact, that whole film is kind of full-on.

And don't get me started with Jaws.

bassman
18-Jun-2009, 05:42 PM
Why do people around here care so much about ratings? Does a film have to be rated R and have blood and guts flying around for it to be good? Sheesh....we're talking about a friggin comedy here.

Toy Story is one of my all time favorites. And it's rated G.

:eek:"OMG it iz not all dark, goth, and KEWL!1!":p

DjfunkmasterG
19-Jun-2009, 05:39 PM
I could care less what its rated, but with the MPAA going bat shit on everything lately, like making films with smoking, RATED R, it makes you think about all these Pre PG-13 films and if they were re-rated today. Would they still be PG or G or would their ratings change...

certain G's become PG
PG films becoming PG-13

bassman
19-Jun-2009, 06:03 PM
I could care less what its rated, but with the MPAA going bat shit on everything lately, like making films with smoking, RATED R, it makes you think about all these Pre PG-13 films and if they were re-rated today. Would they still be PG or G or would their ratings change...

certain G's become PG
PG films becoming PG-13

I was refering to the kids movie comment.:)

MinionZombie
19-Jun-2009, 06:49 PM
I was refering to the kids movie comment.:)
I don't care if something's a kid's movie or not - Short Circuit is awesome for example ... and the Pixar movies are superb (heck, I have WALL.E on DVD - a great film - and my only BBFC "U" rated DVD on my shelf - I have other family flicks, some rated UK-PG, others R1 non-rated).

Dumbing down the likes of Die Hard and Terminator for PG-13 audiences is simply retarded though, I can't abide it. :mad:

major jay
19-Jun-2009, 07:30 PM
Dumbing down the likes of Die Hard and Terminator for PG-13 audiences is simply retarded though, I can't abide it. :mad:

Yeah, if you're going to make a violent action movie, stay true to its violence.

MinionZombie
20-Jun-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah, if you're going to make a violent action movie, stay true to its violence.
Plus, if all the previous entries have been rated R, and they've done brilliantly well - make the new ones rated R as well ffs!

DjfunkmasterG
20-Jun-2009, 10:49 AM
yeah, if you're going to make a violent action movie, stay true to its violence.

exactly!