PDA

View Full Version : For those who do it: Six-day work weeks.

Purge
17-Jun-2009, 06:36 PM
My company recently announced that they're gonna start operating our plant Monday-Saturday starting next month. They say that the odds of everyone there actually working six days a week are slim, but I think it's just a matter of time before the money gets too good to pass up and it becomes permanent. They've already taken away overtime benefits and paid time off. With gas prices the way they're headed and the driving distance I have (twenty minutes on the highway twice a day), you might understand how much of a pain in the ass this could be. Anyone been in a similar predicament?

Yojimbo
17-Jun-2009, 06:53 PM
My company has a rotating schedule where every third week we have teams that are on a weekend duty schedule and we end up working 10 days straight without overtime (unless we put in over 8 hours in one day) and this apparently is a legal even though we exceed a 40 hour work week during these schedules. This sounds different than what you are describing since we are not required to work the extended hours every week.

In your case this sort of weekly work schedule without overtime does not sound legal, but not being a labor-law expert this is just my assumption.

Tricky
17-Jun-2009, 06:56 PM
I worked 7 days a week for a while when i was 19/20,16 hours a day at a factory during the week,then 8 hours a day cooking & pan washing in a hospital kitchen on weekends,it about killed me,especially trying to squeeze a social life in there as well!
Since then ive always worked at places that leave my weekends free,i think everyone needs those two days to chill out & do their own thing unless they voluntarily want to work & for that they should be on double time!On the plus side at least your company are increasing their production time rather than reducing it as is happening at a lot of places in the UK at the moment due to the recession,with already struggling people having to take paycuts!just make sure they dont start taking the piss

Publius
17-Jun-2009, 07:38 PM
How many hours a day are they making you work?

capncnut
17-Jun-2009, 07:59 PM
I worked every day (except new years eve and day) Dec 2000 and January 2001. I did get a quarter raise per month and two weeks off at the end, mind. Good incentive!

Chic Freak
18-Jun-2009, 11:04 PM
I sometimes work a 6 day week. I think the most I've ever done is 3 weeks solid without a break. Just think of the money when you get tired!!

Purge
18-Jun-2009, 11:23 PM
How many hours a day are they making you work?

In my case, I work anyhwhere from 7-10 depending on the workload. As Tricky said, the weekends should be a time to recharge. I might be a little more receptive to the idea of working six days a friggin' week if they were to reinstate our paid time off or holiday pay, but I'm not holding my breath. I should probably start checking the want ads.

axlish
18-Jun-2009, 11:36 PM
I'd gladly work on Saturday right now. I need the money.

Yojimbo
18-Jun-2009, 11:51 PM
In my case, I work anyhwhere from 7-10 depending on the workload. As Tricky said, the weekends should be a time to recharge. I might be a little more receptive to the idea of working six days a friggin' week if they were to reinstate our paid time off or holiday pay, but I'm not holding my breath. I should probably start checking the want ads.

When I used to complain about work, my late grandfather (may he rest in peace) who lived through the Great Depression used to bark "Just be glad you have a job"

Certainly didn't make me feel any more motivated at the time, though I still can hear him saying that to me in Obi-Wan Kenobi fashion every time I start to resent working long shifts or losing my weekend. Like Axlish said, I too need the money, so to me it's not so much that I am glad that I have a job, but more a figment of needing the money and really having no choice but to work, while honing my resentment of those lucky fuckers out there who are living off of an inheritance or a trust fund.

Publius
19-Jun-2009, 03:53 PM
In my case, I work anyhwhere from 7-10 depending on the workload.

How do they justify no overtime with that kind of schedule?

bassman
19-Jun-2009, 04:52 PM
I work for myself, so I usually work just about every day. Sunday's are usually pretty laid back, though. I sometimes get the occasional slow Saturday, too...

krakenslayer
19-Jun-2009, 05:17 PM

Wait... you don't get holiday pay?? :eek: Is that even legal?

Tricky
19-Jun-2009, 05:30 PM
I'd gladly work on Saturday right now. I need the money.

Thats why im joining the territorial army,the training is on weekends & il get paid for it,but it wont feel like work as il likely enjoy it!my regular job is just a job though & theres no chance they'd get me in on a weekend!

EvilNed
19-Jun-2009, 07:30 PM
Work is good. Stop complaing. In a perfect society, we would all be working all the time!

No, but seriously. Don't you have unions? Stuff like this would never be legal over here. Especially the part about no Holiday pay and no overtime-pay.

Purge
19-Jun-2009, 10:58 PM

Don't know. Is there anyone here who knows for sure?

Yojimbo
19-Jun-2009, 11:13 PM
Don't know. Is there anyone here who knows for sure?

Purge, what state do you work in (and don't say "frustration") and country?

If you are in the USA, some of the labor laws vary from state to state, though there are federally mandated guidelines that supercede state regs. I am not certain how it works in different countries, but I suspect it would be very close to the way it is in the USA, unless you work out of China, India or Korea where it is commonplace for workers to pretty much get screwed.

BTW: In most circumstances, these laws can be viewed online.

Mr.G
22-Jun-2009, 01:37 PM
I couldn't go 6 days a week very often. I need the weekends to recharge for the next week. I would assume a lot of the questions revolve around whether you are an hourly or salary employee. I'm salary so some weeks I work 55+ hours and still get paid for 40.

Publius
22-Jun-2009, 03:44 PM
Here's the federal Department of Labor's page about overtime pay (http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/overtime_pay.htm).

Yojimbo
22-Jun-2009, 07:26 PM
I couldn't go 6 days a week very often. I need the weekends to recharge for the next week. I would assume a lot of the questions revolve around whether you are an hourly or salary employee. I'm salary so some weeks I work 55+ hours and still get paid for 40.

Salaried employees can get shafted in this way (40 hour pay for 40+ hours worked) but some still get their 40 hours of pay even if they work less than 40.

But at my job, we are salaried and still entitled to overtime if we exceed 40 hours in any given workweek (with the exception of our scheduled extended shifts) And I have seen other places, like yours, that do not give overtime at all.

I wonder what the regulations are governing salaried positions, since there appears to be differences depending on your employer? Does anyone know that would be willing to share?

Purge
22-Jun-2009, 08:09 PM
Purge, what state do you work in (and don't say "frustration") and country?

Worcester, MA, USA.

Yojimbo
22-Jun-2009, 09:52 PM
Worcester, MA, USA.

Purge, since you are in the USA, check out the link that Publius posted:

Here's the federal Department of Labor's page about overtime pay (http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/overtime_pay.htm).

Purge, the link that Publius posted above to the Fed. Dept of Labor has some detailed information about overtime regulations. You might want to check that out and see if you should be entitled to OT.

The website also goes into some explanation about those exempt and salaried positions that do not require OT payment by the employer, so you can see if your position falls into one of those catagories.

There are some local resources that you can use to file grievances in your state, should you feel that you are being taken advantage of. Check this link: http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=elwdagencylanding&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Government&L2=Departments+and+Divisions+(EOLWD)&L3=Department+of+Labor&sid=Elwd

NOTE: Like the Federal website Publius shared with you, Massachusetts Dept of Labor website also explains very clearly overtime compensation and exemptions to the overtime rules. I strongly recommend you read through this before you take any action.

For your convenience, I cut and pasted the following section from the Massachusetts Dept of Labor website concerning wage complaints and where to file these.

Wage Complaints
12. Where can an employee file a wage complaint if the employee believes they have not been paid properly?
Complaints may be filed with the Office of the Attorney General’s Fair Labor and Business Practices Division. For addresses and phone numbers for all offices, go to www.mass.gov/ago. (http://www.mass.gov/ago)

Good luck, Brother Purge. I hope this helps!

bassman
23-Jun-2009, 02:59 PM
I would think it's illegal to not pay overtime. But it may vary from state-to-state. And you would be surprised what managers can get away with if they know what they're doing. Unfortunately most of the time they don't know what they're doing though...

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/1/1/633664093938241633-management.jpg

Publius
23-Jun-2009, 04:39 PM
But it may vary from state-to-state.

Laws do vary from state to state, but federal standards set a minimum. For example, a state may go beyond the maximum weekly hours and also require overtime pay if someone works more than a certain number of hours in a single day. But a state couldn't weaken the federal overtime protections.

Purge
23-Jun-2009, 10:10 PM
Purge, since you are in the USA, check out the link that Publius posted:

Purge, the link that Publius posted above to the Fed. Dept of Labor has some detailed information about overtime regulations. You might want to check that out and see if you should be entitled to OT.

The website also goes into some explanation about those exempt and salaried positions that do not require OT payment by the employer, so you can see if your position falls into one of those catagories.

There are some local resources that you can use to file grievances in your state, should you feel that you are being taken advantage of. Check this link: http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=elwdagencylanding&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Government&L2=Departments+and+Divisions+(EOLWD)&L3=Department+of+Labor&sid=Elwd

NOTE: Like the Federal website Publius shared with you, Massachusetts Dept of Labor website also explains very clearly overtime compensation and exemptions to the overtime rules. I strongly recommend you read through this before you take any action.

For your convenience, I cut and pasted the following section from the Massachusetts Dept of Labor website concerning wage complaints and where to file these.

Wage Complaints
12. Where can an employee file a wage complaint if the employee believes they have not been paid properly?
Complaints may be filed with the Office of the Attorney General’s Fair Labor and Business Practices Division. For addresses and phone numbers for all offices, go to www.mass.gov/ago. (http://www.mass.gov/ago)

Good luck, Brother Purge. I hope this helps!

Great, detailed post. Thanks! :)

michaelrgny
25-Jun-2009, 02:39 AM
i am a manager for a fireworks company and run a store in cocoabeach fl. i was running a store in melbourne fl and it was 15 minutes from my house .i got a promotion and was told i would be working in cocoabeach..a raise was also includeed.(3.00 bucks per hour) and i get paid biweekly...however the store is a hour away wich means 2 hours a day driveing and i had to take the job or get let go......:mad:...so i took the job i have 3 children and i need to work !!!!..well its the july season and i have to work 15 hours a day on top of the hour drive to work than the hour drive home.my last day off was june 6 and i will not have another day off till july6th....i only see my kids in the morning as i leave for work and thats it ......yeah i agree work sucks buts even worse when your in the position where its do or die.....

strayrider
25-Jun-2009, 03:13 AM
I work double shifts (15-16 hours) three days a week (I could work double shifts 7 days a week, but darn ... no time for cooking out, or hitting the firing range. :lol:)

:D

-stray-

wyvern1096
25-Jun-2009, 03:40 AM

Depends on where you live. I was shocked to learn that here they can work you on holidays for regular time.

They've had a heck of a time getting me (or anyone else) to volunteer for working holidays...

To the OP: I feel your pain. I work two jobs right now and only get Friday off--if either job doesn't have extra work come up.

Chic Freak
27-Jun-2009, 11:22 AM
i am a manager for a fireworks company and run a store in cocoabeach fl. i was running a store in melbourne fl and it was 15 minutes from my house .i got a promotion and was told i would be working in cocoabeach..a raise was also includeed.(3.00 bucks per hour) and i get paid biweekly...however the store is a hour away wich means 2 hours a day driveing and i had to take the job or get let go......:mad:...so i took the job i have 3 children and i need to work !!!!..well its the july season and i have to work 15 hours a day on top of the hour drive to work than the hour drive home.my last day off was june 6 and i will not have another day off till july6th....i only see my kids in the morning as i leave for work and thats it ......yeah i agree work sucks buts even worse when your in the position where its do or die.....

God. Damn. My sympathy. That sucks!