PDA

View Full Version : How do I find out my domain name's AUTH Code?

Chic Freak
23-Jun-2009, 12:12 PM
My trying-to-set-up-a-semi-decent-website saga continues :/

I tried and failed to make one myself with servage.net and got "anitadebauch.com" through them. My subscription to them ran out a while ago and I have an actual web designer doing my site now. He has suggested I use fasthosts.co.uk and transfer anitadebauch.com to them. I attempted to do so and it said I needed my "domain name's AUTH Code". Erm, wtf is this?

I emailed Servage but I'm guessing they won't reply as I'm not with them anymore. Still though, if you visit anitadebauch.com my page isn't there anymore, just a note from Servage saying that the website isn't there!

Help!

Skippy911sc
23-Jun-2009, 01:43 PM
I remember switching mine a year or so back from register.com to godaddy.com and I want to say register had to provide that info to me and then I provided it to godaddy. If you have a phone number to call, use it...I find I get a faster response via the phones than email.

DubiousComforts
23-Jun-2009, 05:53 PM
Domain registration and web site hosting are two different things.

If you visit betterwhois.com and type anitadebauch.com in the search field, you will see that the domain (anitadebauch.com) is registered with Servage.net and is still good for about one year.

Registration Service Provider:
Servage.net Hosting, support@servage.net
+49 46116098359 (fax)
http://www.servage.net/

Record expires on 19-Apr-2010.

The whois record shows that the nameservers are currently pointing to Servage.net:

Domain servers in listed order:
NS3.SERVAGE.NET
NS2.SERVAGE.NET
NS1.SERVAGE.NET
NS4.SERVAGE.NET

If Servage.net no longer hosts the actual web site, you need to update the nameservers and point them to the new hosting company. It's a simple process that should take a few mouse clicks. You can still keep the domain registered with Servage.net if you like, and they should be answering your e-mail because they are still listed as the registrar of your domain name.

Question: if you go to http://servage.net/ and click on "Control Panel" do you have a valid username and password?

Chic Freak
23-Jun-2009, 09:07 PM
Question: if you go to http://servage.net/ and click on "Control Panel" do you have a valid username and password?

No :( Thanks for the info though. No reply from Servage yet.

How do I update the nameservers and point them towards the new hosting company?

DubiousComforts
23-Jun-2009, 09:10 PM
No :( Thanks for the info though. No reply from Servage yet.

How do I update the nameservers and point them towards the new hosting company?
You can do that via the control panel on the Servage site. Did you use the link to request your password?

When did you sign-up with Servage? Do you still have any e-mail from the time you signed up? It may contain your username and password.

Chic Freak
27-Jun-2009, 03:50 PM
Hurray... Servage got back to me with my code and I signed up to fasthosts... called them when I didn't receive a confirmation email right away and they said it could take up to 48 hours... I'm paranoid now :P I figure I'll have my new site ready just in time for when I retire :P

Thanks so much for your help and patience :)