PDA

View Full Version : GameStop Believes/Hopes Digital Distribution Won't Be Widespread Until 2014

darth los
23-Jun-2009, 04:19 PM
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696752/GameStop-BelievesHopes-Digital-Distribution-Wont-Be-Widespread-Until-2014.html

Good points to ponder here. And it's not just games. Any media on a hard copy such as blu ray is going to suffer. Thoughts?

:cool:

bassman
23-Jun-2009, 04:24 PM
As a newbie to online gaming, I have a question. How long do these downloads take? All I've loaded is a small update to Ghostbusters and that went pretty fast, but how long would one of these full games take?:rockbrow:

Personally, I don't think disc games are going anywhere anytime soon. Too many people rely on the discs and there are still alot of people that don't connect their systems to PSN/Live, anyway...

CoinReturn
23-Jun-2009, 04:36 PM
It took about 15 minutes to download Ninja Gaiden Black from my 360, which was about 6GB, so that's not too bad. I'm not quite on board yet though, as I like having a hard copy of my media, if just for the fact of knowing I'll always have a copy regardless of the state of my hard drive. Also, I don't think it's too far-fetched to see retail games launching simultaneously with digital counterpart starting later this gen.

Danny
23-Jun-2009, 04:55 PM
i dont think consoles have the capacity memory wise for this yet. i mean the 360s allready heading this way, and ps3's been doing it with psp games for a year now, but until weve got a terrabyte hdd for the xbox 720 or something there just aint the space for more than like 2 dozen games at best.

Tricky
23-Jun-2009, 05:38 PM
Im not a fan of digital distribution of games,i prefer to go into a shop & buy an actual hard copy of the game with box,disc & manual,but maybe i'm just old fashioned! I use steam to download demos occasionally & ive downloaded digitally distributed add on packs for games i already own but thats as far as i go with it. Shops selling games will be killed off by this and its a shame, since been a kid ive always enjoyed wandering into the shop,browsing all the games & hardware on the shelves,reading the back of the boxes & maybe picking up bargains,as well as having a blast on the latest consoles or games that they usually have set up for people to have a go on! Plus where will all those long haired skater/geek/emo kids get jobs?? :lol:
Going off topic slightly its also sad to see the gaming magazines being slowly killed off by the net,PC gamer is only half the magazine it used to be now seen as most of the stuff you want to read can be found online,they'll probably scrap the monthly demo disc ive always looked forward to soon i reckon with everyone having fast enough internet to download the patches,demos & mods. :( its the future i suppose but its rubbish!

Danny
23-Jun-2009, 06:36 PM
Im not a fan of digital distribution of games,i prefer to go into a shop & buy an actual hard copy of the game with box,disc & manual,but maybe i'm just old fashioned! I use steam to download demos occasionally & ive downloaded digitally distributed add on packs for games i already own but thats as far as i go with it. Shops selling games will be killed off by this and its a shame, since been a kid ive always enjoyed wandering into the shop,browsing all the games & hardware on the shelves,reading the back of the boxes & maybe picking up bargains,as well as having a blast on the latest consoles or games that they usually have set up for people to have a go on! Plus where will all those long haired skater/geek/emo kids get jobs?? :lol:
Going off topic slightly its also sad to see the gaming magazines being slowly killed off by the net,PC gamer is only half the magazine it used to be now seen as most of the stuff you want to read can be found online,they'll probably scrap the monthly demo disc ive always looked forward to soon i reckon with everyone having fast enough internet to download the patches,demos & mods. :( its the future i suppose but its rubbish!

i have a rebuttal for this, lack of hard copies means no factories making the games, no waste, no plastic, no pollution, but the content is the same and made by the same people, same goes for magazines as games.
Hell i can see the official console magazines going on itunes in a year or too, plus theyd be cheaper as well.

bassman
23-Jun-2009, 06:41 PM
i have a rebuttal for this, lack of hard copies means no factories making the games, no waste, no plastic, no pollution, but the content is the same and made by the same people, same goes for magazines as games.
Hell i can see the official console magazines going on itunes in a year or too, plus theyd be cheaper as well.

Speaking of magazines being only online....they did that with the Ghostbusters Strategy Guide. Prima released it on the net instead of in stores. Kind of a bummer, if you ask me.

I don't want to have to go back and forth between my system and computer to look at a strategy guide. And I'm damn sure not going to waste the paper and ink on printing it all out....

Danny
23-Jun-2009, 06:44 PM
And I'm damn sure not going to waste the paper and ink on printing it all out....

but arent you just paying for someone else to do it for you?

bassman
23-Jun-2009, 06:46 PM
but arent you just paying for someone else to do it for you?

Better that it's someone else's ink instead of mine!:D

darth los
24-Jun-2009, 06:20 PM
It's true, the omline guides can't compare to having it in your hand and thumbing through it as needed. Furthermore, the hard copies tend to be more comprehensive and have alot more extras like artwork and stuff.

:cool: