PDA

View Full Version : The music in Romero flicks add to the horror...

JDFP
25-Jun-2009, 07:53 PM
I think part of the amazing horror of Romero's flicks is the music. The music completely sets the mood and the atmosphere in amazing fashion. The old stock music from the original Night (that one piece with the pounding drums as they are attempting to flee, the piece where the ghouls are having "dinner" outside the house, just great creepy music) it's just incredibly creepy/atmospheric and wonderful stuff -- of course I don't count that piece of garbage known as the musical score for the 30th anniversary edition.

The original DAWN not only has amazing music but I think it's probably the best horror soundtrack of any film I've ever seen/heard. It's just absolutely terrifying, or at least to me. I'm not going to lie -- I'm a 28 year old guy and there aren't alot of things that just make the hair on my arms stand up, but every time I hear that "electric zombie moan" thing (c'mon, you know what I'm talking about) I literally still to this day get spooked. How did they do that "electric zombie moan" thing exactly anyway? Just thinking about it is making me freak out right now (and I'm at work on my lunch break at 3:49PM). I also enjoy the main theme piece immensely -- as well as the ominous beginning music in the beginning at the television studio. Just a perfect soundtrack. I can't think of a single thing that I would have changed (even the strange but up-beat Indian chanting in the gun shop).

I also really enjoyed John Harrison's score for DAY. The score at the end ("...take me to the world inside your eyes...") as well as the more tropical sound to the soundtrack is great -- very 80's while being creepy at the same time.

Honestly, I wish I could say the same about "Land" and "Diary". There isn't really a single musical piece from either film that stood out to me. While I enjoyed both films (Well, "Diary" alot more than "Land"), I think that part of the lasting beauty of the original trilogy was the music within the films -- heightening the dread, the fear, the absolute greatness of the films.

Anyway, just my two cents...

j.p.

Yojimbo
25-Jun-2009, 08:19 PM
I think part of the amazing horror of Romero's flicks is the music. The music completely sets the mood and the atmosphere in amazing fashion. The old stock music from the original Night (that one piece with the pounding drums as they are attempting to flee, the piece where the ghouls are having "dinner" outside the house, just great creepy music) it's just incredibly creepy/atmospheric and wonderful stuff -- of course I don't count that piece of garbage known as the musical score for the 30th anniversary edition.

The original DAWN not only has amazing music but I think it's probably the best horror soundtrack of any film I've ever seen/heard. It's just absolutely terrifying, or at least to me. I'm not going to lie -- I'm a 28 year old guy and there aren't alot of things that just make the hair on my arms stand up, but every time I hear that "electric zombie moan" thing (c'mon, you know what I'm talking about) I literally still to this day get spooked. How did they do that "electric zombie moan" thing exactly anyway? Just thinking about it is making me freak out right now (and I'm at work on my lunch break at 3:49PM). I also enjoy the main theme piece immensely -- as well as the ominous beginning music in the beginning at the television studio. Just a perfect soundtrack. I can't think of a single thing that I would have changed (even the strange but up-beat Indian chanting in the gun shop).

I also really enjoyed John Harrison's score for DAY. The score at the end ("...take me to the world inside your eyes...") as well as the more tropical sound to the soundtrack is great -- very 80's while being creepy at the same time.

Honestly, I wish I could say the same about "Land" and "Diary". There isn't really a single musical piece from either film that stood out to me. While I enjoyed both films (Well, "Diary" alot more than "Land"), I think that part of the lasting beauty of the original trilogy was the music within the films -- heightening the dread, the fear, the absolute greatness of the films.

Anyway, just my two cents...

j.p.

I agree. This becomes more evident when you compare the differences of the impact the soundtracks have between the US GAR edited versions and the Argento edited Euro Version of DOTD/ZOMBI 1978. The GAR edited version using less Goblin and more of the library music IMHO have much more of an impact than the Argento Euro version of ZOMBI which shoves Goblin down your throat with no finesse.

Don't get me wrong - I love Goblin and their DOTD soundtrack, but I simply think that it was overused in Argento's version, however cool Goblin might be.

krakenslayer
25-Jun-2009, 08:22 PM
cJVkUunGbMI

:thumbsup:

DubiousComforts
25-Jun-2009, 09:08 PM
The old stock music from the original Night (that one piece with the pounding drums as they are attempting to flee, the piece where the ghouls are having "dinner" outside the house, just great creepy music) it's just incredibly creepy/atmospheric and wonderful stuff

The original DAWN not only has amazing music but I think it's probably the best horror soundtrack of any film I've ever seen/heard. I also enjoy the main theme piece immensely -- as well as the ominous beginning music in the beginning at the television studio. Just a perfect soundtrack.
Keep in mind that no one composer wrote this music. In using library cues, Romero had the option of picking from some of the best, most prolific composers in entertainment history. Their names aren't familiar, but the music sure is--truly a lost art.

Trin
25-Jun-2009, 09:16 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with the music commentary. I love Dawn and Day specifically. The music is haunting and driving and perfect for setting the mood.

Land does not have stand-out music and it's far from memorable. But the music in Land is pretty good. I did an entire viewing of Land just to critique the music and I was surprised how good it really was. Ironically, I don't recall anything specific about it - it really just doesn't stick with you. But at the time I was watching & listening I was impressed.

krakenslayer
25-Jun-2009, 09:41 PM
Keep in mind that no one composer wrote this music. In using library cues, Romero had the option of picking from some of the best, most prolific composers in entertainment history. Their names aren't familiar, but the music sure is--truly a lost art.

Speaking of library cues, am I the only one who's noticed the one little cue from the start of Night of the Living Dead that makes an appearance in Dawn of the Dead?

Listen to the music in this clip from about 0:40 onwards:
bnLF-5pXMNs

Then listen to the very short cue at exactly 7:20 in this clip:
b7bd84IRQ8s

Is that the same tune?

blind2d
26-Jun-2009, 02:07 AM
Hey wow, that IS neat! Good research, buddy.

DubiousComforts
26-Jun-2009, 04:48 PM
Is that the same tune?
Good ear, but that's not the same cue. What sounds like the woodwind melody from the first example seems to actually be a zombie moan in DAWN. The same sound is heard when they're breaking down the fake wall a few seconds before--listen for it.

EvilNed
01-Jul-2009, 01:35 PM
Personally, I hate library music and I think most of the stuff in Dawn that IS library is crap. The Goblin stuff is the only music that stands out in that film, and I hate the fact that the extended version has less of goblin and more library melodies. For instance, the final scene with Peter and the gun? That scene turns instantly comical as soon as that hero-bravado music starts playing. And I doubt it was meant as such.

bassman
01-Jul-2009, 01:42 PM
I actually prefer the library tracks over most of Goblin's stuff. Please don't beat me.:shifty:

And that tune that plays when Roger is escaping always gets me excited!

Mr.G
01-Jul-2009, 03:00 PM
I actually prefer the library tracks over most of Goblin's stuff. Please don't beat me.:shifty:

I'm in the same boat!

DubiousComforts
01-Jul-2009, 09:29 PM
The library music is better than Goblin's DAWN score. People that think otherwise need to get beat. :D

krakenslayer
01-Jul-2009, 10:45 PM
I must admit, I am a Goblin fan. I think the library cues in Dawn are good, but Goblin's score is much more coherent and atmospheric. Individually, the library tracks are excellent pieces of music, but because they are totally different melodies, each written and performed by different people for different purposes at different times, together as a score they seem much more "disjointed" in terms of style. The Goblin tracks were written together, by one group, with this specific film in mind, they just "gel" together with each other and the film in a much more cohesive and consistent way.

capncnut
01-Jul-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm wit' chu too, man. :cool:

I must admit, I am a Goblin fan. I think the library cues in Dawn are good, but Goblin's score is much more coherent and atmospheric.
Coherent maybe but atmospheric? Mmm, I dunno. Simon Park's 'Figment' or 'Desert De Glace' by Pierre Arvay are a million times more atmospheric than anything on the Goblin score.

I don't dislike Simonetti and Goblin though, I saw Daemonia in London and they kicked ass. :cool:

Doc
02-Jul-2009, 12:04 AM
I guess I like the Goblin and Library equally, really. Goblin got really overused in the Euro version, and I will agree with EvilNed that Final Dawn scene with Peter was ridiculous!!! Now, when he gets to the helicopter thats what saves it all for me! Anyway, I guess thats why I prefer the Theartical cut of the film the most. A perfect mix of both music and none of them are used repeatedly for seven damn times.:cool:

MaximusIncredulous
02-Jul-2009, 01:20 AM
My personal favorite has to be Creepshow. One of the most fun synth horror scores I've ever heard, nicely blended with library music.

krakenslayer
02-Jul-2009, 09:09 AM
Coherent maybe but atmospheric? Mmm, I dunno. Simon Park's 'Figment' or 'Desert De Glace' by Pierre Arvay are a million times more atmospheric than anything on the Goblin score.

I don't dislike Simonetti and Goblin though, I saw Daemonia in London and they kicked ass. :cool:

Yeah, as I said most of the tracks individually are great, but when they're put together - one moment it's a synth ambient track, next its a woodwind jingle, next it's a banging drum, next it's a brass wind instrument - the atmosphere OVERALL comes across as a little bit disjointed and schizophrenic. It's okay, I've warmed to it over the years, but I think the Goblin score was a lot more fluid.

My personal favorite has to be Creepshow. One of the most fun synth horror scores I've ever heard, nicely blended with library music.

Seconded, I was listening to the soundtrack on the walk home from work last night and I'd forgotten how much I loved John Harrison's themes for the movie.

EvilNed
02-Jul-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm wit' chu too, man. :cool:

Meh. Personal preference, I guess. I think the library tracks are bland and boring, pretty much all of them. That's one the major drawbacks in Dawn for me. The music is only great half the time.

capncnut
02-Jul-2009, 02:04 PM
Meh. Personal preference, I guess. I think the library tracks are bland and boring, pretty much all of them. That's one the major drawbacks in Dawn for me. The music is only great half the time.
Funny that, 'cos I think the Goblin score (with maybe 2 or 3 exceptions) is about as cheesy as a cheese ball at a cheese emporium.

Yojimbo
02-Jul-2009, 03:59 PM

I am with bassman on this.

For instance, the final scene with Peter and the gun? That scene turns instantly comical as soon as that hero-bravado music starts playing. And I doubt it was meant as such. Wasn;'t that the point, though? I think GAR intended it to be over the top and comical.

darth los
02-Jul-2009, 04:04 PM
Now if this isn't a poll question then I don't know what is. Library tracks or Goblin score?

Cap, will you do the honors?

:cool:

capncnut
02-Jul-2009, 04:06 PM
Now if this isn't a poll question then I don't know what is. Library tracks or Goblin score?

Cap, will you do the honors?
Nope. :p

But I do agree it would be a most interesting poll. Go for it, Carlos!

Doc
02-Jul-2009, 04:06 PM

Can there be 'I can't choose' option?:(

EvilNed
02-Jul-2009, 04:41 PM
Funny that, 'cos I think the Goblin score (with maybe 2 or 3 exceptions) is about as cheesy as a cheese ball at a cheese emporium.

All the creepy stuff comes from the Goblin' score, whereas all of the cheesy parts come from the library stuff! For instance, the Hero-Bravado music at the end. That's library!

I can actually listen to the Goblin stuff outside the film. But the library stuff? It's just bland and meant to go with whatever pictures you can fit it too. No "personality" if you wish.

capncnut
02-Jul-2009, 04:44 PM
All the creepy stuff comes from the Goblin' score, whereas all of the cheesy parts come from the library stuff! For instance, the Hero-Bravado music at the end. That's library!
Did I mention that A-Team-esque tune? Nope. ;)

bassman
02-Jul-2009, 04:46 PM
To me, the library tracks fit the overall tone of the film much more than the Goblin tracks. The Goblin tracks seem like they were trying to make "cool" music of the time fit into the film while the library tracks fit the sort of comic book/adventure tone of the film.

darth los
02-Jul-2009, 04:49 PM
Did I mention that A-Team-esque tune? Nope. ;)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's the funniest thing I've heard so far today. I started thinking about it and yeah, that's exactly what it sounds like!! lol

:cool:

capncnut
02-Jul-2009, 04:49 PM
The library tunes annihilate Goblin's. That's not saying that every library tune is boss, of course not. But compared to Goblin's soundtrack? Nope, library rules.

In fact, what music has aged the most, Goblin or library...

...I know my answer.

That's the funniest thing I've heard so far today. I started thinking about it and yeah, that's exactly what it sounds like!! lol

You know that's the tune George Peppard lit his cigar to. Actually, didnt Frilly make a video based on this?

EvilNed
02-Jul-2009, 05:16 PM
In fact, what music has aged the most, Goblin or library...

That sort off an irrelevant question when talking about a film where the zombies are merely painted blue. :p

As for what music has aged the most? Only in the recent year I've introduced lots of people to the music of Goblin, and they all liked it. Infact, most of them came back and wanted CDs with them. So I guess the answer would be "Library"?

Just take the track L'alba Dei Morti Viventi. Perfect theme song... And along with the other Goblin stuff, some of the most atmospheric stuff that's been put in a zombiefilm.

capncnut
02-Jul-2009, 05:21 PM
Just take the track L'alba Dei Morti Viventi. Perfect theme song... And along with the other Goblin stuff, some of the most atmospheric stuff that's been put in a zombiefilm.
Sure, one or two good ones out of ten or eleven.

EvilNed
02-Jul-2009, 05:27 PM
Sure, one or two good ones out of ten or eleven.

Well, they aren't all great. But a good 70% of them are! And the ones that are pretty shoddy aren't included in the film after all.

darth los
02-Jul-2009, 05:53 PM
As for what music has aged the most? Only in the recent year I've introduced lots of people to the music of Goblin, and they all liked it. Infact, most of them came back and wanted CDs with them. So I guess the answer would be "Library"?

It must be a regional thing dude. :p

krakenslayer
02-Jul-2009, 08:00 PM
I have to agree that I think some of the library tracks have aged worse overall than the Goblin score.

EvilNed
02-Jul-2009, 10:51 PM
That's becuase most of the library tunes are overly melodramatic... As music was back then. I mean, in the 70's I can imagine that music being alot less out-of-place than it is now. These days, those very same tunes are used on kids programmes (Yes, I've actually seen/heard it it! The Hero-Bravado music especially) for... more or less the same comic effect.

MaximusIncredulous
02-Jul-2009, 11:16 PM
That's becuase most of the library tunes are overly melodramatic... As music was back then. I mean, in the 70's I can imagine that music being alot less out-of-place than it is now. These days, those very same tunes are used on kids programmes (Yes, I've actually seen/heard it it! The Hero-Bravado music especially) for... more or less the same comic effect.

I remember hearing parts of the library music that was in Creepshow (Jordy walking back home with the meteor in the bucket) on an episode of Gumby, also some of the NOTLD was used in a 60s biker flick called The Hellcats.

zombie04
03-Jul-2009, 12:34 AM
I can't say I like one more than the other. I'll agree the U.S. theatrical cut had a nice blend of the two while the Extended and European cuts over used what they had. Although I would say I prefer the library music to the Goblin stuff. I like Goblin and I'll occasionally put it on in the background while I'm playing a computer game or something, but to me the library stuff works because the music is set in a mall in the 70s. I just think it helps the atmosphere because you would be a little more likely to hear the library stuff in a mall than you would Goblin.