PDA

View Full Version : Need help please!

Romero
28-Jun-2009, 08:50 AM
I've been searching for a couple of hours trying to find a punk song which i'm certain sampled the little mall jingle from DOTD. It's not the gonk it's the little tune that plays and i'm struggling to describe it. All i can say is the jingle was sampled for an alternative rock or punk song.

If someone could tell me the name of that song it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Yojimbo
28-Jun-2009, 04:06 PM
I've been searching for a couple of hours trying to find a punk song which i'm certain sampled the little mall jingle from DOTD. It's not the gonk it's the little tune that plays and i'm struggling to describe it. All i can say is the jingle was sampled for an alternative rock or punk song.

If someone could tell me the name of that song it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Would love to help, but need more info. Could you look at the film and let us know what part of the movie the jingle plays?

JDFP
28-Jun-2009, 04:07 PM
Rob Zombie sampled quite a few pieces back when he was still with White Zombie (and he and the band could get away with doing that without getting their asses sued off or paying massive royalties). I know White Zombie has a few pieces from the original NOTLD and I can think of at least one scene where Roger is talking to Peter saying: "I could try to run, I could try to run tonight" when they are in the tenament building that is in a White Zombie song. Of course NOTLD is public domain, but DOTLD is not.

I don't think anyone would ever refer to White Zombie or Rob Zombie as "punk" by any stretch of the imagination. His music is alot of fun though, it's the same way I feel about his movies -- alot of fun but not too serious.

j.p.

Rancid Carcass
28-Jun-2009, 09:02 PM
Do you mean the mall musak that plays just after the find the 'Keys to the Kingdom'?

Peter: "Hit 'em all. May as well have power on everything, we might need it".

It goes something a little like this:

da dee da da da. oooowah. da dee dada dad da. wah, wah wah!

Watch the scene it'll make sense! :lol:

Yojimbo
28-Jun-2009, 09:18 PM
It goes something a little like this:

da dee da da da. oooowah. da dee dada dad da. wah, wah wah!

:lol::lol: Best written approximation of an instrumental song ever!!:lol::lol:

Though I thought it more of a "doop dee-doot doop-doot. Wheeet!"

Danny
28-Jun-2009, 09:43 PM
the gorillaz have used soundbytes from romeros films a few times, i know one song M1A1 i think, is pretty much just the opening from day remixed and ive definitely heard some of dawn in others, but theres also a remix in the credits to shaun if i remember, maybe one of them?

Rancid Carcass
29-Jun-2009, 02:37 PM
:lol::lol: Best written approximation of an instrumental song ever!!:lol::lol:

Though I thought it more of a "doop dee-doot doop-doot. Wheeet!"

Ha ha, thanks - I'm thinking of novelising the soundtrack, could be a cracking read... lol.

I think the 'doop dee doot'/'da dee da' thing is basically one of those differences you get between American English and British English. :D

darth los
29-Jun-2009, 02:41 PM
Ha ha, thanks - I'm thinking of novelising the soundtrack, could be a cracking read... lol.

I think the 'doop dee doot'/'da dee da' thing is basically one of those differences you get between American English and British English. :D

Homer Simpson would have a ball with this thread. Dough!!!

:cool:

Yojimbo
29-Jun-2009, 10:19 PM

No doubt that it is true when they say that some things do get lost in translation. :lol:

DubiousComforts
01-Jul-2009, 12:45 PM
Of course NOTLD is public domain, but DOTLD is not.
I'm uncertain of which sound clips Rob Zombie used, but reagrdless of the film's legal status, the music to NOTLD has never, ever been in public domain.

Remix CDs like this one (http://400lonelythings.com/albums/tonight-of-the-living-dead) or any samples of the soundtrack that contain music are illegal unless a license has been obtained.

bassman
01-Jul-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm uncertain of which sound clips Rob Zombie used, but reagrdless of the film's legal status, the music to NOTLD has never, ever been in public domain.

White Zombie used dialogue from Night, but not any of the music from what I can recall.

DubiousComforts
01-Jul-2009, 12:55 PM
White Zombie used dialogue from Night, but not any of the music from what I can recall.
Good for him, then he's only a partial hack unlike the complete tools on iTunes that are ripping off the entire soundtrack. It's like 40 separate cases of copyright infringement because each piece of music is a separate work.

bassman
01-Jul-2009, 12:59 PM
Good for him, then he's only a partial hack unlike the complete tools on iTunes that are ripping off the entire soundtrack. It's like 40 separate cases of copyright infringement because each piece of music is a separate work.

*ahem* Good for THEM. White Zombie is a band. Not to be confused with Rob Zombie's solo career. Big difference.:D

DubiousComforts
01-Jul-2009, 01:05 PM
*ahem* Good for THEM. White Zombie is a band. Not to be confused with Rob Zombie's solo career. Big difference.:D
Okie dokie.... then THEY'RE just partial hacks, unlike the MISFITS who are total hacks for their wholesale thievery of classic horror including their trademarked logoŽ.

Even the name "White Zombie" is theft. If Bela Lugosi was still alive, he'd kick their collective wannabe asses.

bassman
01-Jul-2009, 01:21 PM
So if someone pays tribute to or draws inspiration from an older film....that makes them hacks?:rockbrow:

Romero must be a hack. I Am Legend was the inspiration for his original Night of Anubis script. He also uses library tracks in some of his films. Those aren't his. What a hack.:p

DubiousComforts
01-Jul-2009, 03:07 PM
So if someone pays tribute to or draws inspiration from an older film....that makes them hacks?:rockbrow:
You've been duped into believing that bands like The Misfits or White Zombie/Rob Zombie/whatever are somehow "paying tribute" when it's simply uninspired stealing.

Here's an example: I'll write 20 catchy song titles in under a minute by "paying tribute" to 20 lesser-known pre-70s genre films...

Terror From the Year 5000
Cult of the Cobra
Black Friday
The Devil Commands
Tower of London
Horror of Party Beach
Freaks
The Whip and the Body
Panic In the Year Zero
Missile to the Moon
Dr. Cyclops
First Man into Space
The Phantom Creeps
Horror Hotel
The Beach Girls and The Monster
Voodoo Island
Red Planet Mars
The Haunted Strangler
Eyes Without a Face
The Invisible Ray

With great titles like those, the songs will practically write themselves. Next I'll further "pay tribute" by liberally using iconic images from the genre of fantastic cinema (without permission) as the cover art of my CD while additionally borrowing inspiration from said films for the title, like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dB1gOLLsi90/SAef_v4b9pI/AAAAAAAAAZw/4-xv6Lt4JSE/s320/22816.jpg

or this:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xf_Yufxwils/SWUC3HAXzLI/AAAAAAAAAC8/xE4ymTWL6N4/s400/Nightofthelivindead_cover.jpg

or this:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8M65fbJ11hw/RjWEl3L4pwI/AAAAAAAAABs/OPx9X_Xoolw/s400/cover_digUpHerBones.jpg

So what we've learned is that "paying tribute" requires no work but is highly lucrative. Fun for the whole family! :D

bassman
01-Jul-2009, 03:46 PM
No big deal in my eyes. If you have or create something and want to make it a reference to something else...go ahead. My favorite film is ghostbusters and my dog is named Venkman. I'm such a hack.:p

I'm not a fan, but it seems like I remember reading that Romero directed a Misfits video or two. So I guess he doesn't mind...