PDA

View Full Version : Transformers 2 - $201 million in 5 days

zombie04
29-Jun-2009, 01:43 AM
not counting the international gross as well, Michael Bay has another successful blockbuster on his hands.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

I haven't got around to seeing it yet as I can't quite get myself excited about it after the first movie, but maybe in good time.

blind2d
29-Jun-2009, 01:46 AM
That's just sad. This country sucks!

Danny
29-Jun-2009, 02:02 AM
right on man its not as bad as most of the reviews are saying, granted its a miechal bay film so theres no decent ending but its worth the price of admission.

zombie04
29-Jun-2009, 02:10 AM
right on man its not as bad as most of the reviews are saying, granted its a miechal bay film so theres no decent ending but its worth the price of admission.

I want to get around to seeing it, but reviews haven't been all that great for it. Even though I tend to ignore reviews (I saw House of the Dead in theaters if that says anything) the word of mouth hasn't been all that encouraging. I just need a little more disposable income before I go see movies I'm not that jazzed about again.

And as far as Michael Bay is concerned, I tend to like him for movies that let me ignore reality for 2 hours though I heard he goes a little too far in this movie. I'll still give it the chance it deserves, though when that will be I cannot tell.

Cody
29-Jun-2009, 04:13 PM
Eh its a good movie, I would just never get it for dvd.

AcesandEights
29-Jun-2009, 05:08 PM
Nice! A collection of review snippets just forwarded to me:

USA Today
Claudia Puig "...it will give most people a throbbing case of metal overload." more... D+

Chicago Sun-Times
Roger Ebert "...a horrible experience of unbearable length, briefly punctuated by three or four amusing moments." more... D

Chicago Tribune
Matt Pais "A 150-minute simulation of life in a garbage disposal." more... D

Filmcritic.com
Chris Barsanti "...boring as a test pattern..." more... D+

New York Post
Lou Lumenick "...this bloated movie is probably the first to require a dose of Ritalin to get through all 2 ½ hours." more... D+

Los Angeles Times
Betsy Sharkey "The film has more robots and more noise, but it's less than meets the eye (and ear)." more... C

New York Times
Manohla Dargis "...the director Michael Bay’s subject is as blatant and consistent as his cluttered mise-en-scène." more... C-

Reelviews
James Berardinelli "Call me old fashioned, but I like a little side story and character to go along with my order of big, loud special effects." more... C-

Rolling Stone
Peter Travers "Transformers: The Revenge of The Fallen is beyond bad, it carves out its own category of godawfulness." more... F

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know (<insert internet speech about critics here>), but it's still interesting to read. I carved out the 'more' links, by the way--too much of a pain to add them.

blind2d
29-Jun-2009, 07:45 PM
All I can say is "Ebert knows movies".

DjfunkmasterG
29-Jun-2009, 11:20 PM
Weekend actuals are in

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Paramount overestimated the weekend take by 1+ million. Transformers 2 at $200 million, not 201. The Dark Hypes record is safe for now... well, until IRON MAN 2 comes out.

Danny
30-Jun-2009, 12:11 AM
god damn i love it when egberts a dick, they make for the best reviews.

AcesandEights
06-Jul-2009, 07:16 PM
Finally saw it on Imax this weekend. It was alright. A good, relatively fun, albeit very disjointed, Summer popcorn flick.

Check your ego at the door and you might be able to enjoy it.