View Full Version : Unknown life form discovered in carolina sewers

Danny
30-Jun-2009, 10:25 PM
this is spreading like wildfire on the geekier corners of the web right now-

c2vXumcM8Ok

my thoughts?

1: its clogs of turd and hair caught via pressure and plugging drainage offshoots of the main line.

2: Its some type of bacterial growth, ive heard of kinds that can move like a sea anemone when disturbed as this was by the little camera-bot.

3: It's a viral video, think about it, unusual video, obvious content about a town and a mining company whilst no information about where its from, what took it and the youtube users page is strangely empty. My guess?, if it is its cloverfield 2, since its been a long time since the confirmation without news, and the best viral videos dont give away what there advertising.

capncnut
30-Jun-2009, 10:34 PM
It wont let me watch the video. :(

Edit: Okay, saw it on another site. It is interesting but to me it looks like something inside the human body and not a sewer.

Danny
30-Jun-2009, 10:39 PM
huh.

curiouser and curiouser.

Yojimbo
30-Jun-2009, 11:02 PM
Even more curious is that this video has been removed from YouTube. Look out, the Illuminati and the New World Order have swept the truth under the rug!!!!!!!:lol:

EDIT: Like Cap, I found it elsewhere in spite of the grand conspiracy to keep it from our eyes. Looks pretty gross - what the hell is that?

Danny
30-Jun-2009, 11:07 PM
okay, it was like a series of tumorous like growths, looking like a cross between a nutsack, a turd and a bag of worms wrapped in a membrane attached to walls, the camera gets close and they contract, one even appeared to to have nail like hooks on the outside of the webby membrane.

very odd, earlier it was made private, now its down, i imagine it will be gone soon altogether.

now im thinking this aint viral, its been up too short a time to spread THAT well y'know?

Yojimbo
30-Jun-2009, 11:28 PM
Come to think of it, it did look familiar I have seen something similar to this before:

Blood worms, or so they are called, are avaliable as live food for predatory fish (I have a tank of oscars and another of African Ciclids) along with live shrimp and other live creatures. Occasionally, depending on which store you get your blood worms from, they can vary in appearance, shape, size and color, and these are typically sold by the ounce, sometimes kept in a plastic bag filled water or sometimes in a plastic jar. Though I am not sure what these "blood worms" are actually called (scientific name) I suspect that the term "blood worms" is not an official name (since sometimes that which they call "blood worms" a supposed to be mosquito larvae, and other times they look completely different and more like some sort of weird colored worm. )

I have noticed that these worms tend to clump together in masses, and if you place them in a cool area (we have a small refrigerator where we used to store these, along with other fresh-type fish food) they would clump together. So maybe, this is what is in the video.

blind2d
01-Jul-2009, 12:35 AM
I can't find it anywhere! I want to be sick! This sucks...

3pidemiC
01-Jul-2009, 02:37 AM
Here:

TcKpx2DxGwY

Danny
01-Jul-2009, 02:58 AM
Found a possible explanation.

The latest viral video is from the sewer under Cameron Village in Raleigh, NC. The mysterious creatures found are nothing short of disgusting and spectacular. This video has made its way to Video Sift and various cryptozoology sites. Speculations on the nature of this creature run from bryozoans, cnidarians, slime molds, and some mysterious alien creature here to suck out our brains. Well let me say first that it is none of the above. I can think of no freshwater Cnidarian that looks anything like this. It lacks the characteristic delineations that would indicate individual zooids in the colony and frankly the retracting of finger-like tentacles doesn’t seem like a bryozan characteristic (see the pictures at this site). In fact, I have poked a lot of invertebrates as lab instructor for invertebrate zoology and as a graduate student just for shits and giggles and none of the mentioned candidates would respond like this. So back to square one…

You shouldn’t trust me however…you should trust an expert in one of the aforementioned groups. Enter stage right Dr. Timothy S. Wood who is an expert on freshwater bryozoa and an officer with the International Bryozoology Association. I sent along the video and this was his reponse…

Thanks for the video – I had not see it before. No, these are not bryozoans! They are clumps of annelid worms, almost certainly tubificids (Naididae, probably genus Tubifex). Normally these occur in soil and sediment, especially at the bottom and edges of polluted streams. In the photo they have apparently entered a pipeline somehow, and in the absence of soil they are coiling around each other. The contractions you see are the result of a single worm contracting and then stimulating all the others to do the same almost simultaneously, so it looks like a single big muscle contracting. Interesting video.

and heres some video

zn9kh7MaFQQ

looks pretty similar to me, might be solved, shame i thought we had a good viral to break down but there you have it, interesting and revolting though. Guess those are your "bloodworms" yojimbo?

MaximusIncredulous
01-Jul-2009, 03:11 AM
Come to think of it, it did look familiar I have seen something similar to this before:

Blood worms, or so they are called, are avaliable as live food for predatory fish (I have a tank of oscars and another of African Ciclids) along with live shrimp and other live creatures. Occasionally, depending on which store you get your blood worms from, they can vary in appearance, shape, size and color, and these are typically sold by the ounce, sometimes kept in a plastic bag filled water or sometimes in a plastic jar. Though I am not sure what these "blood worms" are actually called (scientific name) I suspect that the term "blood worms" is not an official name (since sometimes that which they call "blood worms" a supposed to be mosquito larvae, and other times they look completely different and more like some sort of weird colored worm.

I have noticed that these worms tend to clump together in masses, and if you place them in a cool area (we have a small refrigerator where we used to store these, along with other fresh-type fish food) they would clump together. So maybe, this is what is in the video.

I dunno, from the pics I've seen of clumped Blood Worms, the... things in the video would be a bit more strandy with some of the worms on the edges probably moving away from the mass all together when disturbed. Can't say for sure but I don't think the worms would be capable of the sort of cohesion seen in those sewer vids. This looks like some bulbous, singular form. I just wonder if it's in its final growth or still has plenty of growing left to do and, if so, what will it grow into?

EDIT: Seems this Dr. Wood knows what it is:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/plumbing-system-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/14220-unknown-lifeform-north-carolina-sewer.html#post90505

Looks like it was a type of worm(s) after all which manage to contract as one when stimulated.

strayrider
01-Jul-2009, 09:08 AM
Can they be destroyed with:

Gasoline and flame?

or

Common pesticide?

If not, I'm remotely concerned.

:D

-stray-

bassman
01-Jul-2009, 12:31 PM
Nasty.:barf:

And I would have to go along with Stray on this one. Kill it! Something that disgusting is only waiting to infect our brains and turn us all into mindless zombies!:p

Yojimbo
01-Jul-2009, 06:12 PM
zn9kh7MaFQQ

Guess those are your "bloodworms" yojimbo?

Yeah, sometimes the "bloodworms" look and behave just like that clip. From the viral video, it looks like this mass is huge, but we really do not have much to reference for scale. But even if it is just a large mass of tubifex worms, it still looks pretty creepy and disgusting. (I am glad now I have finally found out the proper name for these worms)

I am thinking that these may have ended up in the sewers after someone cleaned their fish tank, since even with my own tanks at home filled with hungry fish it is not uncommon that some of the worms burrow down into the sand and live for quite a while, at least until the next tank cleaning. I have a cleaning unit that hooks up to a fawcet spigot and allows me to place a suction tube into the tank to vacuum the tank and I often see these bloodworm escapees get sucked up into the tube. The waste water from the tank goes down the drain into the sewers where, I guess, they have close to a perfect environment to live and grow and clump together.

Here is a clip of aquarium fish eating tubifex. Note that even with a small spoonful the worms tend to clump together.

qLjIJc8Ylds

And here is a clip the tubifex are grouping under the sand:

hxYBiBi3EbE

My wife, BTW, refuses to touch the "bloodworms" and instead makes me feed them to the fish!

Tricky
01-Jul-2009, 06:23 PM
Its pretty disgusting to look at!however with CGI & special effects being as they are these days i find it hard to see anything like that as genuine!

clanglee
02-Jul-2009, 08:03 AM
Bleeech!!!! My sister lives in Raleigh. I should send this to her.

Neil
02-Jul-2009, 11:27 AM
Doesn't look like a bunch of worms to me?? Unless they're VERY tightly bundled?

Also, the camera seems to pivot and turn perfectly to find one each time?

Danny
02-Jul-2009, 01:14 PM
Doesn't look like a bunch of worms to me?? Unless they're VERY tightly bundled?

Also, the camera seems to pivot and turn perfectly to find one each time?

it was one of those remote contrlled robut jobbies.

darth los
02-Jul-2009, 01:48 PM
Anyone else find it weird that there's no wide shot of this thing? All we get is a close up scan of it. :rolleyes:

:cool:

Danny
02-Jul-2009, 02:58 PM
Anyone else find it weird that there's no wide shot of this thing? All we get is a close up scan of it. :rolleyes:

how do you mean?, it was a very small pipe with a little automated robot being driven down with a small camera what do you think the videos missing?

darth los
02-Jul-2009, 03:43 PM
how do you mean?, it was a very small pipe with a little automated robot being driven down with a small camera what do you think the videos missing?

I didn't realize the space was that tight. But what I meant was a shot taken from farther away that might have revealed a sound studio or something else that's incriminating. We don't really know where that was taken at this point. We only know what the poster wants us to believe.

Idk, your the master of dubunking things like this. :p :D

Danny
02-Jul-2009, 03:50 PM
actually you reminded me, i read yesterday the...i cant remember the name but some board of such and such in the states confirmed its real footage from a pipe inspection and not a viral video, but they didnt say what it was.

clanglee
04-Jul-2009, 03:56 AM
News reports say this thing is Golfball sized. Must be a tiny pipe and a tiny robotcam.

krakenslayer
04-Jul-2009, 09:47 AM
The 'tubifex' explanation to my mind is the best one. Here's why:

1. As you may remember from high school biology class, tubifex are an ecological indicator of a highly polluted, low-oxygen environment, and are usually found in the soil near the lower courses of rivers and streams contaminated with industrial or agricultural waste (read: shite). These disgusting 'fruit' are forming, as you can see, on cracks in the pipe where dirty water is seeping out into the surrounding soil, attracting these things. A pipe is a bit different to their natural river environment, and they're all forcing themselves through that tight crack together and, as the man said, are becoming entangled.

2. They do look like worms if you observe very closely, underneath the slimy surface you can see gooey noodle things moving around. They seem to have coated themselves in a sludgey mucous-like material which makes their individual forms difficult to discern.

Man, I really really hate worms...

Chic Freak
04-Jul-2009, 11:04 AM
They seem to have coated themselves in a sludgey mucous-like material which makes their individual forms difficult to discern.

That might explain it! I didn't want to argue with the worm doctors, but the sewer video and the video of the bloodworms clumping in the tank really don't look the same to me. Maybe it's being coated in goo that helps make their movements look more like one big movement too?

Yojimbo
05-Jul-2009, 01:52 AM
That might explain it! I didn't want to argue with the worm doctors, but the sewer video and the video of the bloodworms clumping in the tank really don't look the same to me. Maybe it's being coated in goo that helps make their movements look more like one big movement too?

After I read you post, I toyed with the idea of replicating this mass of worms out of water here in my kitchen (maybe it would look different out of water so that the mucosa around bloodworm clump could have a chance to solidify) but when I mentioned it to my wife she vetoed me. Guess she does have a point that it would just be too gross to do this in her kitchen just in the interest of science!:)

clanglee
07-Jul-2009, 12:14 AM
After I read you post, I toyed with the idea of replicating this mass of worms out of water here in my kitchen (maybe it would look different out of water so that the mucosa around bloodworm clump could have a chance to solidify) but when I mentioned it to my wife she vetoed me. Guess she does have a point that it would just be too gross to do this in her kitchen just in the interest of science!:)

:lol:
Damn Jimbo, she make you throw out your mold culture too man? ;)