PDA

View Full Version : Carriers...

Neil
01-Jul-2009, 11:14 AM
Don't think this is a zombie movie... But not sure...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Trailer-Chris-Pine-Fights-Infection-In-Carriers-13770.html

Some stills... http://www.dvd-forum.at/4534/news_kino.htm

Zombie Snack
01-Jul-2009, 12:13 PM
looks worthy of a viewing.

rongravy
08-Dec-2009, 12:03 AM
This comes out on dvd here tomorrow. I was really pissed off that it never came out anywhere near here, but pieces of crap like Jennifer's Body do. When I saw the preview for this, I patiently waited for the day it would not be played within 5-6 hours away. Then I sulked. Then came a little stewing...
Now I will have it soon. I can't believe it didn't get wide release. Heck, it even had the new Cap'n Kirk in it, on the heels of the Trek film no less!
The previews looked good, and what they showed of the infected looked pretty spiffy as well.
Admittedly, I haven't seen it but I have a gut munching feeling about this one.
Have not many here seen it, or just don't consider it worth bothering over?
I haven't seen much written on it.
Just wondering...

Skippy911sc
08-Dec-2009, 12:48 AM
After Seeing the pics I do remember seeing the trailer to this one. It did look interesting. I don't know how it will be inreality but hey its worth a rental. Thanks for the reminder!

clanglee
08-Dec-2009, 03:33 AM
Yeah, funny thing is, I saw this preview on Jennifer's Body I think. Looked pretty freaking cool. . and then nothing. . . .Seemed like it would have been marketable. Maybe Hollywood is too scared of the swine flu?

Neil
08-Dec-2009, 06:10 AM
Yeah, funny thing is, I saw this preview on Jennifer's Body I think. Looked pretty freaking cool. . and then nothing. . . .Seemed like it would have been marketable. Maybe Hollywood is too scared of the swine flu?

Over here, the BBC have delayed the "Survivors" remake 2nd series due to the swine flu :rolleyes:

jded
08-Dec-2009, 08:24 AM
Hmmm... Maybe. Not sure. It sounded good reading it, you know, on paper, but other than the mutated corpses it did not look good from the trailer. It seemed like another one of those "young kid's with a little sense to get them so far, mixed with two of the cast members will eventually begin or have begun a newly romantic relationship and we have to feel their young angst and pain of finding love at the wrong time" movie.
And then I'll go as far as to say I'd also be waiting for Usher or Exhibit to make an appearance. Maybe not.

rongravy
08-Dec-2009, 04:12 PM
Ok, now I'm pissed.
Apparently it is only for rent today. It doesn't go on sale until the 29th. I had them hold a copy, but dammit, I wanted the bauble for mein own. All the places I called looking for it had no idea WTF was going on.
Finally some girl at Blockbuster explained it to me, something about movie studios doing that now with some movies. It makes no sense to me. If you can rent it, you can still rip it. Why make the ones who really want it suffer?

Trin
08-Dec-2009, 07:14 PM
I remember watching the trailer for this and getting stoked about it. Then it kinda fell off my radar. I kept expecting to see ads for it to be in the theater.

I have a friend in Canada who (I believe he said) saw it at a theater. I'll have to ask him whether it's worth it.

What's the underlying motive with the "rent today - not available for purchase for 2 weeks" philosophy? I assume they're trying to increase revenues with that. But how?

kidgloves
09-Dec-2009, 12:03 AM
It's pretty good. Road movie more than anything with the main characters having to make difficult decisions being the meat of the storyline.

7/10

Russian DeadMan
09-Dec-2009, 02:32 AM
Carriers got wide theatrical release in Russia. I've seen it twice already, it's great. Horror in it's best. No guts and gore, but still really scary with human nature metamorphosis. Gratefulness kills and to survive humans have to turn to animals. Very depressing idea and very dark, but clarifying film. And it did surprisingly well in Russian box office.:)

rongravy
09-Dec-2009, 10:50 PM
Good movie, but glad fate didn't let me buy it.
But then again, if they'd shown it at a few theaters I'd have known.
No zombies/infected, save the wayward rash or bloody cough. There was only one good infected person makeupwise in the movie, and he was near dead and harmless.
This was more a film to show us how shitty we can be to each other just to stay alive. I give it a B+, but I don't think it would stand up very well to repeated viewings. Once you know what they are capable of, it kind of loses its hold.

Zombie Snack
10-Dec-2009, 12:36 PM
Watched this last night, It could have been so much more..still good for a rental and a viewing, but the movie could have been so much more. I give it 6/10

Neil
11-Dec-2009, 08:35 AM
I enjoyed this flick!

The last 20 minutes let it down a little, but there were some nice elements in it which I found haunted me and kept comig back to me.

*minor spoiler*
Was it just me, or was there some sort of clever statement being made - That Chevlot vehicle twice blocks a road, preventing another car from passing, each time in an attempt to get fuel...

I thought the two aspects that spoilt it for me were:-

1 - Them turning up to the hospital at the very moment the doctor was about to commit suicide - To the minute! Hmm....
2 - They didn't seem quite scare enough of becoming infected.

I find myself wondering/interested in what happens to some of the characters after the film. It'll never happen, but I'd be interested in a sequel.

rongravy
11-Dec-2009, 03:44 PM
I enjoyed this flick!
2 - They didn't seem quite scare enough of becoming infected.
[/spoiler]

I agree. If you had a hot piece of ayass like Piper, possibly one of the last hot pieces of ayass on the planet, then why would you let her risk ruining your funtime by getting infected?
And as soon as she started not letting me touch her, I'd be wondering WTF?!?!?

DeadJonas190
14-Dec-2009, 05:37 AM
Ok, now I'm pissed.
Apparently it is only for rent today. It doesn't go on sale until the 29th. I had them hold a copy, but dammit, I wanted the bauble for mein own. All the places I called looking for it had no idea WTF was going on.
Finally some girl at Blockbuster explained it to me, something about movie studios doing that now with some movies. It makes no sense to me. If you can rent it, you can still rip it. Why make the ones who really want it suffer?

What the girl at Blockbuster didn't tell you, maybe becuase she doesn't know, it is a Blockbuster Exclusive title for now, which means they are the only people to carry it for rental. After the limited time of it being and exclusive, it goes out for rental and sale everywhere else. They used to do exclusives all the time when VHS was king, it just started back up a year or two ago with DVDs. As for the movie studios doing that with some DVD's, its just the exclusives we have (I say we becuase I work at a Blockbuster).

Oh, and for the record, Carriers was a virus movie, the virus seemed close to the Ebola virus. No zombies at all were in the movie. It was alright, but a lot more could have been done to make it a better movie, it was very short as it is (80 minutes).

jdog
14-Dec-2009, 06:39 AM
i watched this yesterday. it was ok but nothing great. i found the movie to drag abit and the ending i didnt care for but it was an ok watch. like said before no real zombie action though

Neil
14-Dec-2009, 09:22 AM
i watched this yesterday. it was ok but nothing great. i found the movie to drag abit and the ending i didnt care for but it was an ok watch. like said before no real zombie action though

As I said before, I found a couple of bits really stuck with me - eg: The father/daughter, and there final shot/scene.

And also:-

Was it just me, or was there some sort of clever statement being made - That Chevlot vehicle twice blocks a road, preventing another car from passing, each time in an attempt to get fuel...

SRP76
15-Dec-2009, 08:05 AM
And also:-

Yeah, the statement was that if you drive for days on end when all the gas stations are down, you're going to run out of gas.

I saw this movie yesterday. It was alright, I guess. Could have done without the "see it coming a mile away" movie cliches, though. Of ourse, we have to have someone try to take the women for rapegames. Of course, when you go in the only open window, you'll get a dead person with a gun in your face. And so on.

This was another flick that had me rooting for the disease, because I don't like the characters. They were a bunch of Miguels out there. No brain. If these jokers had any sense at all, they'd keep any infected people in their party. Those are your disposable people. They can go into the new places and search things out without any risk of infection (what's going to happen? They get DOUBLE-infected?!). They would be extremely useful.

But they didn't seem to know anything other than "we gotta get to the beach!":rolleyes:

Oh, and what's the purpose of having the random "she's not my girlfriend!" bitch in the party, anyway? Captain Kirk asked that very question, and it never got answered.

Mike70
15-Dec-2009, 08:10 PM
the spammer has been dealt with.

clanglee
15-Dec-2009, 09:00 PM
I saw the movie last night and found it to be mostly effective. The whole dad and daughter thing was very very much so. (I was pretty choked up) The end faltered a bit but still. . it was a movie that made you question how you would act in the same situation. Would you be willing to give up your own humanity to survive? Conceince or survival. It's a tougher choice than you might think.

SRP76
15-Dec-2009, 10:28 PM
Would you be willing to give up your own humanity to survive? Conceince or survival. It's a tougher choice than you might think.

That's totally subjective. One man's "humanity" is another man's "bullshit".

I already outlined how I would attempt to go in this situation, but putting a highly infectious, "one touch from this person and you DIE!!" person out of your group isn't considered "inhuman" by everybody. Really, what's wrong with it? It's not like they're shooting the person in the head. They're simply splitting away from them, and they can continue to survive or not based on their own abilities, just as you are doing. You're not getting anything extra by separating, and they are no worse off than you are (tactically; health-wise, they're obviously doomed since they're infected).

"Humanity" does not mean "carry someone else's burden at the expense of yourself". If it did, everyone who isn't housing 50 homeless people in their basement is inhuman right now.

clanglee
15-Dec-2009, 10:40 PM
That's totally subjective. One man's "humanity" is another man's "bullshit".

I already outlined how I would attempt to go in this situation, but putting a highly infectious, "one touch from this person and you DIE!!" person out of your group isn't considered "inhuman" by everybody. Really, what's wrong with it? It's not like they're shooting the person in the head. They're simply splitting away from them, and they can continue to survive or not based on their own abilities, just as you are doing. You're not getting anything extra by separating, and they are no worse off than you are (tactically; health-wise, they're obviously doomed since they're infected).

"Humanity" does not mean "carry someone else's burden at the expense of yourself". If it did, everyone who isn't housing 50 homeless people in their basement is inhuman right now.

Caring for your loved ones. . . or even just giving a shit about the helpless. . I'd say that is humanity. Maybe I should refine the point and say the good side of humanity. It is a situation where you must choose the animal/survival side or the "human"/caring side.

SRP76
15-Dec-2009, 10:52 PM
Caring for your loved ones. . . or even just giving a shit about the helpless. . I'd say that is humanity. Maybe I should refine the point and say the good side of humanity. It is a situation where you must choose the animal/survival side or the "human"/caring side.

Again, how is leaving them "bad"? They are no more "helpless" than you are. If they get infected, there is no cure, so exactly what are you going to do for them? Not a damn thing, that's what. I guess you could hang out to see them kick the bucket, but that's about it.

It might be different if there was a cure in some location, and you were all piled up trying to get to that place. Then, you'd be helping them by letting them hitch a ride with you to that place. But when you're all basically headless chickens out there, being together or separate makes no difference.

clanglee
15-Dec-2009, 11:23 PM
Yeah. . ok. . you need specific examples of what I mean. .ok. . I can do that. Case in point, the little girl.

when the little girl goes off on her coughing fit. . choaking, and maybe dying. . . .the woman made a "feeling" decision to help her get her oxygen. She was acting as a "good" person would in that situation. Of course, it got her infected, and by proxy, got her boyfriend infected. by making that choice she was showing her natural humanity. the only way to truly avoid being infected would be to avoid all infected and killing them (from a distance) if they started getting close. So. . . killing or leaving strangers, friends and loved ones and living, or having normal human contact and feelings. . and dying