View Full Version : It had to happen sooner or later...(RROD)

ProfessorChaos
02-Jul-2009, 04:44 AM
well, during a game of world at war, my screen went all glitchy and pixelated, kinda like old NES games used to do back in the day. it kept this up for the entire match, so i tried to restart my system, and yes, as i suspected, 3 red fucking lights.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/44/Why.jpg

so i read through the other threads people have started about the RROD bullshit, and have decided to go ahead and send my system in to MS. i was thinking of buying a new system with a bigger HDD (and one that would be less likely to go tits-up on me like this little bitch just did), but given that i'm going to be apartment hunting in less than a month, i'm gonna have way too much other crap to spend $$$ on.

too late for me to fool with all the steps on the website, but apparently i've got to register my system before i can do anything else. :|

bassman
02-Jul-2009, 11:36 AM
That sucks. Hopefully MS will get yours fixed and returned as quick as they did mine. I think the entire process was about 10-12 days with my 360.

capncnut
02-Jul-2009, 02:05 PM
My heart bleeds for you, Jared. I wish a speedy recovery for your console sex bomb.

Skippy911sc
02-Jul-2009, 02:45 PM
When mine finally went and I sent it in...it was back in 2 weeks, with 1 month of gold free...painless process.

darth los
02-Jul-2009, 03:32 PM
When mine finally went and I sent it in...it was back in 2 weeks, with 1 month of gold free...painless process.

Shit, if i had to be without my sex box for a month I wouldn't be too pleasant to be around. Besides politics that's basically my entertainment.

I have a launch model and thankfully it's never given me much trouble. But if it did I would just buy a new system being that mine doesn't have hdmi. But to each his own.

:cool:

bassman
02-Jul-2009, 03:37 PM
But if it did I would just buy a new system being that mine doesn't have hdmi.

I hear that. I got fucked out of the HDMI port as well. I had to buy their specific 360 HDMI cord which costs over 50 dollars.:dead::annoyed:

CoinReturn
02-Jul-2009, 04:24 PM
Welcome to the club! Your jacket is in the mail.

capncnut
02-Jul-2009, 04:29 PM
No red ring for me and the f**ker is running like a charm.

darth los
02-Jul-2009, 05:44 PM
Welcome to the club! Your jacket is in the mail.

Only if it's a members only jacket from the 80's !! C'mon, you know you had one on while watching ferris Buler's day off. :p

I hear that. I got fucked out of the HDMI port as well. I had to buy their specific 360 HDMI cord which costs over 50 dollars.:dead::annoyed:

That's the reason why it's totally evident to me that the system was rushed to market. That system has no semblence of hdmi compatability. And to really rub salt in the wound a year later they include an hdmi port on their "elite" system. So what the fuck did you guys sell me in the winter of 05'? A "Bullshit" system?

ProfessorChaos
02-Jul-2009, 08:50 PM
well, i've got a repair request put in, and will be sending my fucked-up system off on monday after i return from my weekend in cincinnati.

now i can finally catch up on some reading and perhaps kick back and get lit and watch the classic GAR trilogy one evening.:cool:

Trencher
06-Jul-2009, 06:14 AM
When you get the red ring of death does microsoft fix your console for free?

ProfessorChaos
07-Jul-2009, 12:00 AM
yeah, aside from having to supply your own box to pack it in, the repair (including shipping) is supposedly free.

bassman
07-Jul-2009, 11:41 AM
yeah, aside from having to supply your own box to pack it in, the repair (including shipping) is supposedly free.

You had to supply the box? They sent me an empty box about a day after I called them...

SymphonicX
07-Jul-2009, 11:51 AM
dunno what this jibe about a special HDMI cable is, I got a standard one with my elite and have used many other standard ones in it's place.

bassman
07-Jul-2009, 12:01 PM
dunno what this jibe about a special HDMI cable is, I got a standard one with my elite and have used many other standard ones in it's place.

Some 360 systems have the standard HDMI slot, while others have a modified connector slot that standard HDMI cords won't work in. I'm not sure why they switched them like that, but it sucks. :dead:

Craig
07-Jul-2009, 02:13 PM
My 360 has been redringed for a while now but it still seems to be within the 3 year warranty from the manufacture date (by a matter of months though)... what's the procedure to getting this free repair? I see there's a thing on the Xbox site about registering the console before being able to get it repaired - would this need to be under my name because I use my Windows Live account for it? Or should it be under the name of the person who paid for the console and whose telephone and address details I'd be using to register (i.e. my mum)?

ProfessorChaos
08-Jul-2009, 02:48 AM
craig, i think it'd just be under your name, and the website should tell you everything you need to know.

and yeah, they supply you with a shipping label and you've gotta find your own box to pack and ship it in....apparently they began this practice over the last month or two.

Craig
08-Jul-2009, 10:36 AM
Yeah thanks Prof, once the relevant pages on the Xbox site stopped crapping out on me I realised the process was fairly straightforward.

slickwilly13
08-Jul-2009, 03:34 PM
I am glad to own a Jasper model. No more RRD for me. Already been through that once.

darth los
08-Jul-2009, 05:10 PM
Shit people. My 360 just broke down as well. It was 3+ years old and I bought a new one on monday and boy does it run quieter than my launch model.

The dude at gamestop was trying to sell my on the $400 dollar hdmi model but I told him no thanks. I said I have a ps3 Hooked up via hdmi to my 50 inch plasma screen and my 360 as well via component cables and I'll be damned if I can notice a difference. No way was I paying an extra 300 bucks for the "priveledge". :dead:

slickwilly13
08-Jul-2009, 07:56 PM
They do run quieter and do not vent out as much heat as earlier models. Check the wattage on the power supply and I can tell you which version you have.

darth los
09-Jul-2009, 03:58 PM
They do run quieter and do not vent out as much heat as earlier models. Check the wattage on the power supply and I can tell you which version you have.

I'll do so tonight.

By the way, if there is not as much venting going on do you suggest that I invest in a cooler for it?

bassman
09-Jul-2009, 04:03 PM
I'll do so tonight.

By the way, if there is not as much venting going on do you suggest that I invest in a cooler for it?

I've had people tell me that those cooler fans don't work and often over heat themselves.:lol:

darth los
09-Jul-2009, 04:45 PM
I've had people tell me that those cooler fans don't work and often over heat themselves.:lol:

Wouldn't it be a hoot if those coolers were causing a good percentage of 360's to overheat and thus induce a red ring of death?

slickwilly13
10-Jul-2009, 05:48 AM
I do not use a cooler for my red 360. It does not require one. The console vents very little heat and runs as quiet as a PS3.

Trencher
13-Jul-2009, 06:54 AM
Its good that you get free repair atleast.

AcesandEights
13-Jul-2009, 02:26 PM
Shit people. My 360 just broke down as well. It was 3+ years old and I bought a new one on monday and boy does it run quieter than my launch model.

Yeah, my first 360 sounded like it was always in the process of powering up for a sub-orbital launch.

slickwilly13
13-Jul-2009, 04:10 PM
I'll do so tonight.

Ever find out which version it was? I am just curious about which model they are putting on the shelves now. It will be under your bricked power supply. It will be either 150W *Jasper* or 175W *Falcon*.

darth los
13-Jul-2009, 05:44 PM
Ever find out which version it was? I am just curious about which model they are putting on the shelves now. It will be under your bricked power supply. It will be either 150W *Jasper* or 175W *Falcon*.

Damn dude, I forgot all about it!! :o

Sorry, I'll check tonight. ;)

ProfessorChaos
14-Jul-2009, 12:44 AM
usually on sundays, i sleep in, the get up and clean my room, do all my laundry, and get blazed and play xbox most of the afternoon. yesterday was the first day i really missed my xbox.

oh well, it'll be here one of these days.

MikePizzoff
14-Jul-2009, 08:40 PM
Now's your chance to blame it on whatever new game you've been playing...

ProfessorChaos
15-Jul-2009, 01:34 AM
that's the sad thing....i'd been playing nothing but fallout 3 and call of duty for months.

darth los
15-Jul-2009, 06:42 PM
I know how you feel. When my x box broke last week it there wasn't even a discussion I just went out and bought a new one the next day. You never know how much you enjoy something until it's gone i guess.

AcesandEights
15-Jul-2009, 06:56 PM
You never know how much you enjoy something until it's gone i guess.

Cue wispy, weepy slow mo of Darth Los running towards his 360 whilst 'Wind Beneath My Wings' plays.

And yes, I paid for a second 360.

And yes, it was worth it.

ProfessorChaos
18-Jul-2009, 07:17 AM
received an email stating my console was repaired and will be shipping any day now. pretty quick turnaround, given that i only mailed it off on monday...