PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity Deaths

major jay
02-Jul-2009, 10:07 PM
Maybe there should be a sub-forum just for notable deaths?

Alexis Arguello and Fred Travalena died this week too.

Arguello was considered a great boxer.......until Aaron Pryor came along.

Doc
02-Jul-2009, 11:07 PM
1. David Carradine
2. Farrah Fawcett
3. Ed McMahon
4. Michael Jackson
5. Billy Mays
6. Fred Travalena
7. Karl Madden

:(

Anybody else I missed?

Yojimbo
03-Jul-2009, 08:52 PM
1. David Carradine
2. Farrah Fawcett
3. Ed McMahon
4. Michael Jackson
5. Billy Mays
6. Fred Travalena
7. Karl Madden

:(

Anybody else I missed?

8. Ricardo Montalban
9. Maryilan Chanbers
10. Bea Arthur
11. Dom Deluise
12. Pat Hingle

May they all rest in peace. :(

capncnut
03-Jul-2009, 11:49 PM
Pat Hingle
Jeez, when did Pat die? :confused:

Yojimbo
06-Jul-2009, 05:59 PM
Jeez, when did Pat die? :confused:
January 2009, I remembered hearing about Hingle's death and did not recognize his name until I checked online and recognized his face from so many different things.

Pat Hingle, RIP.

bassman
06-Jul-2009, 06:28 PM
He'll always be Commisioner Gordon from the old Batman Franchise in my eyes....

capncnut
06-Jul-2009, 07:21 PM
He'll always be Commisioner Gordon from the old Batman Franchise in my eyes....
Or Hendershot in Maximum Overdrive.

"F**ked if I know, Bubba. F**ked if I know." :cool:

slickwilly13
18-Jul-2009, 01:28 PM
Walter Cronkite died at age 92. And the oldest man in the world and last of the original WWI Royal Air Force, Henry Allingham died at 113.

kortick
18-Jul-2009, 05:30 PM
On this other web site I go to we
have DEAD POOL.

This year is obviously Dead Pool 2009
where everyone picks 5 famous people
they think will die in the mentioned year.
Plus a Wildcard.
Wildcards are +2 points but they have
to be under 30.

ud be surprised how good some of them
are at picking out winners.

they got Bea Arthur and Farrah.
people are angry for overlooking Ed McMahon
but the big bet is Patrick Swayze cuz hes
on a bunch of lists.

Its a mandatory thing, if ur a member u
gotta join the pool. I think ill get at least
one for sure. I'd better.

major jay
24-Jul-2009, 12:26 PM
The world has heard its last perfect "Dddiiiiii heard that": Les Lye, who played Barth (among dozens of other characters) on You Can't Do That On Television, died Tuesday in Ottawa. He was 84.

darth los
24-Jul-2009, 02:01 PM
Maybe there should be a sub-forum just for notable deaths?

Well, it would be consistent with the theme of this site. Couple that with the frequency with which it seems to be happening and yeah, not a bad idea. :thumbsup:

:cool:

major jay
13-Aug-2009, 04:46 PM
Les Paul, whose innovations with the electric guitar and studio technology made him one of the most important figures in recorded music, has died, according to a statement from his publicists. Paul was 94.

Les Paul, whose innovations helped give rise to modern pop music, played guitar into his 90s.

Paul died in White Plains, New York, from complications of severe pneumonia, according to the statement.

Paul was a guitar and electronics mastermind whose creations -- such as multitrack recording, tape delay and the solid-body guitar that bears his name, the Gibson Les Paul -- helped give rise to modern popular music, including rock 'n' roll. No slouch on the guitar himself, he continued playing at clubs into his 90s despite being hampered by arthritis.

"If you only have two fingers [to work with], you have to think, how will you play that chord?" he told CNN.com in a 2002 phone interview. "So you think of how to replace that chord with several notes, and it gives the illusion of sounding like a chord."

Lester William Polfuss was born in Waukesha, Wisconsin, on June 9, 1915. Even as a child he showed an aptitude for tinkering, taking apart electric appliances to see what made them tick.

"I had to build it, make it and perfect it," Paul said in 2002. He was nicknamed the "Wizard of Waukesha."

In the 1930s and '40s, he played with several big band singers, including Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and the Andrews Sisters, as well as with his own Les Paul Trio. In the early 1950s, he had a handful of huge hits with his then-wife, Mary Ford, such as "How High the Moon" and "Vaya Con Dios."

His guitar style, heavily influenced by jazzman Django Reinhardt, featured lightning-quick runs and double-time rhythms. In 1948, after being involved in a severe car accident, he asked the doctor to set his arm permanently in a guitar-playing position.

Paul also credited Crosby for teaching him about timing, phrasing and preparation.

Crosby "didn't say it, he did it -- one time only. Unless he blew the lyrics, he did one take."

Paul never stopped tinkering with electronics, and after Crosby gave him an early audiotape recorder, Paul went to work changing it. It eventually led to multitrack recording; on Paul and Ford's hits, he plays many of the guitar parts, and Ford harmonizes with herself. Multitrack recording is now the industry standard.

But Paul likely will be best remembered for the Gibson Les Paul, a variation on the solid-body guitar he built in the late 1930s and offered to the guitar company.

darth los
13-Aug-2009, 05:15 PM
^^^

I wonder how much his guitars will go for now? He's definitely a lengend. Thnx for the backround info. on him as well. I learned a couple of new things.

:cool:

Danny
13-Aug-2009, 05:42 PM
94 and one of the biggest names in music, dont know about you but i couldn't complain with that:)

BillyRay
13-Aug-2009, 05:57 PM
Hey, he's even got a street and museum wing named after him ('round the Milwaukee area).

He got to enjoy the accolades while he was alive, and still working.

Lots worse places to wind up, I'm sure.

RIP Les.