dogma789
07-Jul-2009, 02:55 AM
Post deleted.

EvilNed
07-Jul-2009, 11:15 AM
The Zoom H-4.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4/

The text says:

"Whether you're recording a live performance, a podcast, a class or workshop, a rehearsal, a songwriting session or even a sizzling performance of your band, the H4 has more recording tools available than any device ever made."

And that's complete bullshit. It's a semi-professional tool, not a professional one. But the sound quality is very good, and it supports external microphone.

Phenia Films
07-Jul-2009, 01:55 PM
I shoot in Super 8 all the time and i used a basic Hand Tape recorder (Sony TCM-200DV) which sounded great in the end surprisingly..used entirely throughout a short Zombie film i made..no problems.
The best thing about this little hand recorder, it has a speed control for playback. I was able to have all the recorded/ADR in sinc with the dubbed in MiniDV audio.

If you use your imagination, you wont have to go out and buy expensive Audio equiptment (although if i had a bigger budget, id buy professional equiptment/hardware) but this little unit does fine

heres some clips i shot on Super 8, and using that sound recorder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IEscFsWgYA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVYF0H8tXVg

DubiousComforts
07-Jul-2009, 08:28 PM
Question: I want to shoot on 8mm. But, I will have to record sound separate. What is a high quality, yet somewhat budget-friendly device to record live sound?
Do you have a laptop? I record multi-track, better-than-CD-quality audio to my laptop all the time.

But regardless of the device used to record the audio, you will still need a decent mic and preamp to capture location sound.

Danny
07-Jul-2009, 09:01 PM
at uni we just used a small mini dv camera, grabbed a boom mike with the xlr cable and an adapter for the cable to camera connection, just import what you record into something like premier pro, capture the sound, delete the video and export it as a sound file, thats it.

-oh, i got my shotgun boom for £30 with an xlr cable going for £15 online, so decent sound equipment isnt that expensive really compared to what my camera and mac cost thats a steal.

PJoseph
08-Jul-2009, 04:42 AM
I too have used Mini DV for location sound using a Rode microphone on a homeade boom pole with a shockmount. That worked pretty well in syncing with a 16MM Bolex.

pJ

DjfunkmasterG
08-Jul-2009, 10:25 AM
Find a cheap Mini DV camera with XLR ability, record audio to Mini DV at 48khz, then sync in post. Use a good boom mic too. I use the AtR-215 and it sounds fantastic

EvilNed
08-Jul-2009, 11:28 AM
I'd like to point out that you can probably get the zoom H-4 for about as cheaply as any small camera mini-DV camera, but it supports uncompressed sound and you get it on a memory card instead... It's much less of a hassle. And if you're gonna spend some bucks on it, then you might as well just get the H-4.

DrSiN
08-Jul-2009, 02:17 PM
I have to Zoom H4 and it's pretty good, has support for an external boom mic and records well. The biggest problem is the interface for using it is terrible. I mean.. really terrible.

But it's usable in most situations and very light and runs forever on batteries. If you have to use separate audio on a budget, it's a good call in my opinion.

PJoseph
09-Jul-2009, 09:33 PM
Yes, those handheld devices are a good deal - however, for me at the time, they didn't offer cheap ones, so I just used my mini DV. But a separate recording device like those is a nice option.

pJ

C5NOTLD
16-Jul-2009, 09:21 PM
Don't forget that the majority of most film sound tracks you hear are dubbed over in post - ADR.

While you should always try to get the cleanest sound possible while on location, production sound is often only used as a guide track.