PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me some good zombie (or scary) books?

MKaneJeeves
13-Jul-2009, 04:55 AM
Hello dudes, after about two years of not reading anything but magazines I've slowly started getting back into reading novels again. I'm reading Dean Koontz's Sole Survivor right now, but it's more of a conspiracy mystery than a true horror novel, and I picked it up in the horror section at my local used book store. I want to read a scary novel or one filled with scary short stories, particularly ones that deal with spooky stuff the end of the world, zombies, adventure to a deserted island, a haunted house, etc. More along the lines of a creepy episode of the Twilight Zone or Night '68 and not a stupid novel about a demon or a monster. I loved I Am Legend but read it twice and want to read similar novels with that kind of suspenseful, scary aura. Any other good books that are recommended for good scares?

krakenslayer
13-Jul-2009, 11:00 AM
Hello dudes, after about two years of not reading anything but magazines I've slowly started getting back into reading novels again. I'm reading Dean Koontz's Sole Survivor right now, but it's more of a conspiracy mystery than a true horror novel, and I picked it up in the horror section at my local used book store. I want to read a scary novel or one filled with scary short stories, particularly ones that deal with spooky stuff the end of the world, zombies, adventure to a deserted island, a haunted house, etc. More along the lines of a creepy episode of the Twilight Zone or Night '68 and not a stupid novel about a demon or a monster. I loved I Am Legend but read it twice and want to read similar novels with that kind of suspenseful, scary aura. Any other good books that are recommended for good scares?

I would suggest Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King. It's got some very solid decent scary stories, some interesting more literary-type ones too, a couple of apocalyptic end-of-the-world tales.

My favourite stories in it are: The Ten O'clock People, an interesting one reminiscent of John Carpenter's They Live where a guy decides to (nearly) stop smoking and the resultant tweaking of his brain chemistry allows him to see hideous demonic creatures that have taken over the upper-echelons of the business world disguised as humans; The Moving Finger, a story of the supernatural (or of madness) in which a man is slowly driven insane by a human finger that mysteriously emerges from a narrow pipe in his bathroom; and Home Delivery, which is an ode to his friend George A. Romero, a story about a flesh-eating zombie plague that brings the end of the world and how one naive, pregnant young woman learns to cope and survive.

kortick
13-Jul-2009, 06:07 PM
I have been doing a LOT of reading lately,
not just horror but quite a bit of it.

you should definitely read "heart shaped box"
by joe hill. It is an excellent novel, also he wrote
a book of short stories called '20th century ghosts'
he is stephen kings son, but doesnt use his dads
name to get readers. Great writer.

Also I began reading the work of Edward Lee
and the best so far is "flesh gothic'.
A good way to start his body of work

for short stories there is William F. Nolans
"nightworlds" they range from all types.

Another interesting book was "Conversations
with the Devil' by Jeff Rovin. It was surprisingly
better than I expected.

Lastly you should read the classic "blackburn"
by Bradley denton, about a serial killer who like
Dexter kills people who 'deserve' it, but he kills
the cheating auto mechanic, and others like that.

"heart shaped box' though is a great read.

good luck

venom012
15-Jul-2009, 11:49 PM
I would suggest Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King. It's got some very solid decent scary stories, some interesting more literary-type ones too, a couple of apocalyptic end-of-the-world tales.

My favourite stories in it are: The Ten O'clock People, an interesting one reminiscent of John Carpenter's They Live where a guy decides to (nearly) stop smoking and the resultant tweaking of his brain chemistry allows him to see hideous demonic creatures that have taken over the upper-echelons of the business world disguised as humans; The Moving Finger, a story of the supernatural (or of madness) in which a man is slowly driven insane by a human finger that mysteriously emerges from a narrow pipe in his bathroom; and Home Delivery, which is an ode to his friend George A. Romero, a story about a flesh-eating zombie plague that brings the end of the world and how one naive, pregnant young woman learns to cope and survive.

Listen to this guy. Classic King. There is also a zombie short story in the inspired by Romero.