PDA

View Full Version : US remake of "Let The Right One In" - OK, I love the poster!

Neil
14-Jul-2009, 12:08 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/LetMeIn.jpg

EvilNed
14-Jul-2009, 12:09 PM
Don't need to see it. I've seen the original.

Danny
14-Jul-2009, 12:31 PM
Don't need to see it. I've seen the original.

what he said, im officially done with shitty remakes of films the american film industry feel the american publics to stupid to understand because the original is in a different language. Honestly im surprised more americans dont find it insulting.

bassman
14-Jul-2009, 12:35 PM
I haven't seen the original, so I'm down. It is a cool poster.

Monrozombi
14-Jul-2009, 01:32 PM
what he said, im officially done with shitty remakes of films the american film industry feel the american publics to stupid to understand because the original is in a different language. Honestly im surprised more americans dont find it insulting.

Most american filmmakers don't find it insulting because theyre not inteligent enough to know they're getting shoveled watered down remakes. One, most people don't know alot of the films are remakes until after they've seen it or that there is an original out there from another country. Plus alot of movie goers think the American remakes are better because they are filled with US pop culture references and ideologies that appeal to them because they don't really want to take the time to learn about a foreign country.

I haven't seen this film yet but its high on my list. I do like the poster though

Skippy911sc
14-Jul-2009, 01:54 PM
what he said, im officially done with shitty remakes of films the American film industry feel the American public's to stupid to understand because the original is in a different language. Honestly im surprised more Americans don't find it insulting.

That's not fair...We make crappy remakes of movies that are originally made here as well... I don't think I lack of knowledge of foreign languages or are inability to read have an impact what so ever...;)

I think we need to do one thing and one thing only...Follow the money.

If Hollywood think a remake will make some bucks they green light it.

And one last thing...We really need to have the work American Capitalized...it makes me feel more important. :evil:

bassman
14-Jul-2009, 02:22 PM
Most remakes suck. On this I agree, but you guys could at least give it some kind of a chance before spitting at it.

There have been some GREAT remakes, ya know. And some of these great remakes are now considered classics....

Monrozombi
14-Jul-2009, 02:34 PM
Most remakes suck. On this I agree, but you guys could at least give it some kind of a chance before spitting at it.

There have been some GREAT remakes, ya know. And some of these great remakes are now considered classics....

See the problem is with remakes is that the track record with remakes is less then stellar. Show me 10 remakes in the last 5 years that stand up to or surpass their original counterparts? I know some that come close but nothing that I could say is a great or good film. Another problem with "giving it a chance" means going to see it at the box office or purchasing it on dvd, all of which put money into the studio's accounts which they look at and go "wow, this must be a hit, lets do a sequel." Some remakes I will give a chance but remaking a film for an "american audience" isn't justification for a remake, to me its an excuse to make a film to make money. Let the Right One In would have probably made some decent money at the box office had it been released here dometically.

Why don't we see foreign studios remaking American films? Why hasn't Blade been redone in Germany? Where's Japan's remake of LOTR?

Craig
14-Jul-2009, 02:40 PM
The only good thing I really have to say about remakes of foreign films is it can give the originals exposure to people like me who are open to world cinema and indeed find it very interesting.

bassman
14-Jul-2009, 02:44 PM
Like I said...there's obviously more good than bad, but sometimes you get lucky with those good remakes.

The Departed, Ben Hur, The Thing, The Fly, Scarface, Heat, Ocean's Eleven, 12 Monkeys, 3:10 to Yuma, Ransom, The Maltese Falcon, etc.

Danny
14-Jul-2009, 04:00 PM
Like I said...there's obviously more good than bad, but sometimes you get lucky with those good remakes.

The Departed, Ben Hur, The Thing, The Fly, Scarface, Heat, Ocean's Eleven, 12 Monkeys, 3:10 to Yuma, Ransom, The Maltese Falcon, etc.

thats true there all kickass films, but for every one of them theres a good dozen shitty ones yknow?

bassman
14-Jul-2009, 04:10 PM
thats true there all kickass films, but for every one of them theres a good dozen shitty ones yknow?

Right....all i'm saying is give it a chance. The film doesn't even have a cast yet and people are already refusing to see it.:confused:

capncnut
14-Jul-2009, 05:40 PM
I have the original, Låt den rätte komma in, which was sent to me recently on DVD. I plan to watch it this weekend and I am really looking forward to it. This stupid remake can go suck a f**k. I am not interested in it whatsoever.

Besides, I would never watch a remake when the original was made little over a year ago. :rolleyes:

I'M WITH HIM ^

Right....all i'm saying is give it a chance. The film doesn't even have a cast yet and people are already refusing to see it.:confused:
No thanks, I wont go near this with a barge pole even if it does bear the mark of the once mighty Hammer Films. And you can stick the proposed Battle Royale remake where the sun don't shine too.

AcesandEights
14-Jul-2009, 06:00 PM
As long as there's a market for them, they'll get made.

The fact of the matter is, there are some good reasons for re-makes of foreign films, not the least of which being not everyone can be aware of every single great movie coming out in every single market across several languages. Well, maybe everyone with a computer and no life can, but a shed load of people can't be arsed and this shed load will always furnish unwitting and open-minded audience members.

Till film successes are marketed more successfully, with wider international distribution, better penetration of foreign markets etc. there will always be a market for this sort of thing. And let’s face it: most foreign films do not have the marketing money or buzz behind them to land on foreign soil with great impact. Some do, yes. But most do not. They are understandably lost amongst the din.

Of course there is also that other--some might say contentious--reason for remaking a foreign film. That being the idea that making films homogeneous with the culture of the target audience will help it gain wider acceptance and dollars (what it's all about, of course). And I think anyone interested in taking more than a cursory look at the situation, and using it as a bully pulpit to toss up their nose at Hollywood et. al., will find that this is common amongst many nations and cultures that have large film industries and the corresponding wide consumer base. Why? Because there is an inclination (natural or otherwise) among a high enough percentage of people that makes films homogeneous with their own culture more palatable to them.

Danny
14-Jul-2009, 06:47 PM
As long as there's a market for them, they'll get made.

The fact of the matter is, there are some good reasons for re-makes of foreign films, not the least of which being not everyone can be aware of every single great movie coming out in every single market across several languages. Well, maybe everyone with a computer and no life can, but a shed load of people can't be arsed and this shed load will always furnish unwitting and open-minded audience members.

Till film successes are marketed more successfully, with wider international distribution, better penetration of foreign markets etc. there will always be a market for this sort of thing. And let’s face it: most foreign films do not have the marketing money or buzz behind them to land on foreign soil with great impact. Some do, yes. But most do not. They are understandably lost amongst the din.

Of course there is also that other--some might say contentious--reason for remaking a foreign film. That being the idea that making films homogeneous with the culture of the target audience will help it gain wider acceptance and dollars (what it's all about, of course). And I think anyone interested in taking more than a cursory look at the situation, and using it as a bully pulpit to toss up their nose at Hollywood et. al., will find that this is common amongst many nations and cultures that have large film industries and the corresponding wide consumer base. Why? Because there is an inclination (natural or otherwise) among a high enough percentage of people that makes films homogeneous with their own culture more palatable to them.

for me that culture biodome crap is what bugs me, lets looks at two examples. In the remake of Hideo Nakata's Ring and the 2002 u.s Remake The Ring the original stars a japanese cast, the remake stars an american cast and they alter the plot, the locations, add some characters, lose others. The critically acclaimed piece of japanese cinema is NOT what american audiences saw on screen.
Then youve got takashi shamizu's Ju-on The Grudge and its remake, The Grudge by.....Takashi Shimizu, same guy, american cast, but same plot and same location, he actually took points out himself, but kept the same story.

Both remakes are decent enough horror flicks, but the grudge kept the story, even the location and was much more true to the original version. Its not that im against remakes, the fly and the thing are better than the originals by miles. But part of the charm of films like ju-on, .rec and funny games is that the flicks are inspired by the culture of the creator, the time it was made and that cultures view on horror.
Filmmakers across the world grow upon different forms of cinema, i grew up on a blend of spielberg movies and spanish, korean and japanese cinema when i was little and thats effected how i make my stuff. Give it to someone else to remake and it loses something.

How would dj feel if i was given the rights to remake deadlands, but set it in nottingham with an all english cast and added some characters and took out others and changed the ending to something more palatable to british cultures expectations?
How do you feel about it dj?, would that be okay if it was to generate buzz?, to make money?, to make it easier to swallow than a film full of "foreigners" with different accents and colloquialisms?

AcesandEights
14-Jul-2009, 07:06 PM
How would dj feel if i was given the rights to remake deadlands, but set it in nottingham with an all english cast and added some characters and took out others and changed the ending to something more palatable to british cultures expectations?

Dunno, but I'd love to see the drama fallout on these boards after it happened.

DubiousComforts
14-Jul-2009, 08:06 PM
If you'd given the original film a chance, you'd know this story can never be remade by Hollywood "as is." This is simply a lame excuse for the dummy responsible for Cloverfield to make another Twilight.

Just a poster and already they can't even get the title right. In this case, the title is relevant to the meaning of the story, and it can't be arbitrarily changed or you change the meaning. I'd expect the filmmakers to know at least that much about the source material if they expect anyone to give the remake a chance.

clanglee
14-Jul-2009, 08:08 PM
Let the Right One in was an awesome awesome movie. Worth it just for the pool scene. The most beautiful scene of violence I've ever witnessed. Just a really nice, understated, and pretty(cinemetography) movie.

Having said that, yeah. . I kinda hate seing the foreign remake thing too, but sometimes it really surprises me. I have to admit, I liked the remakes of REC and JU-ON, and I thought the Ring remake was better than the original.

Let the Right One in was an awesome awesome movie. Worth it just for the pool scene. The most beautiful scene of violence I've ever witnessed. Just a really nice, understated, and pretty(cinemetography) movie.

Having said that, yeah. . I kinda hate seing the foreign remake thing too, but sometimes it really surprises me. I have to admit, I liked the remakes of REC and JU-ON, and I thought the Ring remake was better than the original.

C5NOTLD
15-Jul-2009, 12:10 AM

The shitty remakes also apply to all the American films being remade by Hollywood.
Audiences are used to it. That's Hollywood Executive brain power for you.

Danny
15-Jul-2009, 12:40 AM
The shitty remakes also apply to all the American films being remade by Hollywood.
Audiences are used to it. That's Hollywood Executive brain power for you.

oh of course, dont mean i gotta like it though.

Neil
15-Jul-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm interested at least to see what they do with it...

bassman
18-Aug-2009, 01:19 PM
I saw the original and don't understand all the fuss. It was pretty dull, actually. Nothing too special about it.:confused:

A remake could improve on it...

DubiousComforts
18-Aug-2009, 06:47 PM
Because Hollywood has such a great track record of improving on the originals via remake-mania.

Hey, maybe a giant transforming robot with loads of pyrotechnics will make it a bit less dull.

AcesandEights
18-Aug-2009, 07:08 PM
Hey, maybe a giant transforming robot with loads of pyrotechnics will make it a bit less dull.

Don't Let The Wrong Ninja In?

Now we're spitballing Hollywood-style.

capncnut
18-Aug-2009, 07:11 PM
:lol:

Because Hollywood has such a great track record of improving on the originals via remake-mania.

Here, here. The film does NOT need improving. Full stop.

bassman
18-Aug-2009, 07:40 PM

Because that's why I found it dull. No robots.:rolleyes:

BillyRay
18-Aug-2009, 07:43 PM
Count your blessings; at least they aren't having the leads played by Megan Fox & Shia LaBuff....

DubiousComforts
19-Aug-2009, 05:37 PM
Count your blessings; at least they aren't having the leads played by Megan Fox & Shia LaBuff....
I somehow doubt that Megan Fox could pull off playing a boy.

Mike70
27-Aug-2009, 05:31 PM

agreed. i just saw the original for the first time last night and was completely and totally blown away. easily one of the best and most original vampire flicks in eons.

Neil
27-Aug-2009, 06:18 PM

It's odd that I watched the entire original movie without catching onto that rather significant part of the story!

clanglee
27-Aug-2009, 11:48 PM

Wait what?

It's odd that I watched the entire original movie without catching onto that rather significant part of the story!

I'm confused now. . .I didn't catch anything remotely like that.

EvilNed
27-Aug-2009, 11:53 PM
It's more obvious in the book. In the film it's only "hinted" at.

clanglee
27-Aug-2009, 11:58 PM

so she was actually a he? :confused: it's like the crying game of vampire movies? I totally didn't get that at all.

EvilNed
28-Aug-2009, 01:18 AM
so she was actually a he? :confused: it's like the crying game of vampire movies? I totally didn't get that at all.

Yepp. :p

DubiousComforts
29-Aug-2009, 04:18 AM
I haven't read the book, but I think Eli saying, "Oskar, I'm not a girl" is a pretty big clue. ;)

I still don't believe most people have grasped why it's simply impossible to remake this film in uptight Hollywood. There's a really long thread about this on AICN (http://www.aintitcool.com/talkback_display/41690#comment_2773247) and the best comment so far (next to "Twilight Babies") is this:

"why are people too dumb to handle a film with subtitles? It gives people who enjoy calling Americans stupid extra ammunition."

clanglee
30-Aug-2009, 01:30 AM
I haven't read the book, but I think Eli saying, "Oskar, I'm not a girl" is a pretty big clue. ;)

."

I just took that to mean that she was not a girl per se. . being a vampire and probably MUCH older than most women. So more like Oscar, I'm a woman and a vampire. . . not a girl.

DubiousComforts
30-Aug-2009, 08:15 PM
I just took that to mean that she was not a girl per se. . being a vampire and probably MUCH older than most women. So more like Oscar, I'm a woman and a vampire. . . not a girl.
That's understandable, but given how the film is set up I understood it to be the other way, Did you catch the brief glimpses of Eli's older form?

Neil
30-Aug-2009, 11:46 PM
That's understandable, but given how the film is set up I understood it to be the other way, Did you catch the brief glimpses of Eli's older form?

What do you mean by that?

During the film I'll swear Eli sometimes appear almost as an older person/lady? Quite disconcerting!

shootemindehead
31-Aug-2009, 12:08 AM
I watched 'Let the Right one in' last night for the first time and I thought it was pretty good, if a little too slow at times.

I too didn't get what you guys are talking about. There's only the slightest glimpse on Eli's neither regions. I could swear I saw scars. But I didn't work out that she was once a boy. Got the subtle face thing though. That and the slight sound effects were creepy as feck.

Overall, a good film. But part of it's charm is it's "foreign-ness", which will be utterly destroyed in any remake attempt no doubt.

DubiousComforts
31-Aug-2009, 12:18 AM
What do you mean by that?

During the film I'll swear Eli sometimes appear almost as an older person/lady? Quite disconcerting!
Yeah, you got it. Very effective. Also...

I also liked the brief glimpse of bat-like wings during Eli's first kill. I had to pause the dvd to see that I wasn't imagining it.

shootem, you just put the text that you want to hide between brackets [ ] like this:

spoiler (text) /spoiler

shootemindehead
31-Aug-2009, 01:36 AM
Yep DC. Figured it out.

I'm a genius now..........

:D