PDA

View Full Version : can you imagine...

Mike70
15-Jul-2009, 02:47 PM
if cable/satellite tv had existed in their present form in 1977 when elvis died? the coverage would probably still be going on. all this michael jackson bullshit that you can't turn on the tv without being bombarded by, got me thinking about this.

bassman
15-Jul-2009, 02:58 PM
I wasn't around when Elvis died, but I imagine it would have been worse WITHOUT satelite and cable. At least with cable you have thousands of other channels to go to, but before cable you had about....10-20 at the most?

But yes...the Jackson coverage is getting a bit annoying.

AcesandEights
15-Jul-2009, 03:52 PM
I wasn't around when Elvis died, but I imagine it would have been worse WITHOUT satelite and cable. At least with cable you have thousands of other channels to go to, but before cable you had about....10-20 at the most?

But people went outside more back then and did other things away from the tv...like go to the YMCA.

bassman
15-Jul-2009, 03:55 PM
Outside? People still go there?:stunned:

clanglee
16-Jul-2009, 02:28 AM
...like go to the YMCA.

These guys LOVE that place!!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HzKJyX3Sim8/RnbXxR0nqyI/AAAAAAAAAmU/4HyuQakqrsw/s400/Village.jpg

strayrider
16-Jul-2009, 03:32 AM
but before cable you had about....10-20 at the most?

Three, CBS, NBC, or ABC ... maybe six if you had a good antenna ... but, even then, you were simply picking up a neighboring city's transmission of CBS, NBC, or ABC. The only benefit to this is that you were treated to someone's else's local programming.

:D

-stray-

Chic Freak
16-Jul-2009, 05:32 PM

That's about how many I get right now!!

MaximusIncredulous
16-Jul-2009, 10:11 PM

But yes...the Jackson coverage is getting a bit annoying.

From what I remember it wasn't as constant as the MJ crap. With fewer stations, everything had its specific time slot, unless the prez got capped or something like that. It's really the advent of the 24/7 cable news networks that got people used to this continuous junk coverage.

SRP76
16-Jul-2009, 10:33 PM
I haven't seen a scrap of Michael Jackson news for over a week. So apparently, it's possible to watch tv without seeing Jackson. You people must be specifically tuning in to the news channels, or something. In that case, you should probably expect to see some coverage.