PDA

View Full Version : My school is under nazi rule...

MikePizzoff
16-Jul-2009, 12:12 PM
...ok, not really. However, I just found out that my college has just become a smoke-free institution. Meaning there may not be any smoking ANYWHERE on college property, not even in your car in the parking lot!!! This is messed up because it seemed like damn near half the school is comprised of smokers and most people smoke on the quad, giving non-smokers PLENTY of space to walk around without having smoke in their face; very rarely does someone stand next to doors and smoke. Anybody caught using tobacco products will be FINED.

:mad: This really infuriates me because having a smoke between classes really helps me get through the day... now I'm going to have to somehow do it in secrecy? I see this leading to the days of high school and the bathrooms will always smell like stale cig smoke. If they needed to absolutely do something like this, perhaps they should have created designated areas for smokers, so non-smokers could SURELY avoid it.

I know it's my choice to smoke and nobody is forcing me to do it, but come on, isn't this a free country and aren't tobacco products legal?

bassman
16-Jul-2009, 12:16 PM
Maybe try one of those electronic cigarette things?:p

EvilNed
16-Jul-2009, 12:18 PM
Yikes. I couldn't imagine going to a smoke-free college. This isn't what you signed up for! Call the mayor!

krakenslayer
16-Jul-2009, 12:43 PM
Same situation with hospitals in the UK. Used to be you weren't allowed to smoke in the building, then they made it so you couldn't smoke anywhere in the ground, even in the car park, you have to actually walk hundreds of yards out onto a public street. However, considering all the nursing and medical staff working stressful jobs with extremely short breaks, the rule is widely flaunted. People just find places that are not well over-looked, and gather together to smoke (including some of the managers who are supposed to be enforcing the ban).

Danny
16-Jul-2009, 03:22 PM
see i know people say its a stress relieving but isnt that just lessening the withdraw effect from tobacco's addictive properties? To be honest nobody needs cigarettes to live so i cant really get worked up about stuff like this, even if i had ever smoked id feel the same way. But i guess i grew up going to schools where we all had to wear uniforms and stuff so the change to college and uni was nice, except for the fucking art students hanging around right next to every damn exit waiting to blow a filthy smog of fag ash right in your face:mad:

Your not gonna like what i say but cigarettes are not good for you and i dont honestly feel any sympathy for people who cant get through the day without something they didnt require in the first place, you probably think im harsh but if they did it at my uni itd be an improvement and my clothes wouldn't reek when i get home every damn day.

bassman
16-Jul-2009, 04:33 PM
Your not gonna like what i say but cigarettes are not good for you and i dont honestly feel any sympathy for people who cant get through the day without something they didnt require in the first place, you probably think im harsh but if they did it at my uni itd be an improvement and my clothes wouldn't reek when i get home every damn day.

I know what you're saying, but as an ex-smoker, I understand his point of view as well. He's not saying that it's his right to smoke on campus, just that it seems silly to cut off all smoking when some students obviously want to smoke. It would make much more sense to have a designated area instead of cutting it off all together.

It's not his right to smoke, but it's his choice to smoke. And alot of people do....so give them a place to do it. People do unhealthy things everyday and it's each individual's choice. Cutting it off entirely on campus will probably only make more problems.

EvilNed
16-Jul-2009, 04:35 PM
Hey, more people die from eating cheese and fat foods, yet they're even advertised on huge billboards. :P

clanglee
16-Jul-2009, 07:47 PM

Says the man who worked at McDonalds, peddling grease and heart attacks. . . . .:D

Danny
16-Jul-2009, 07:49 PM
Says the man who worked at McDonalds, peddling grease and heart attacks. . . . .:D

im not aware of second hand cheese intake though.

EvilNed
16-Jul-2009, 07:53 PM

But you are aware of the staggering costs that obesity cause society, right?

krakenslayer
16-Jul-2009, 09:00 PM

On the other hand, I regularly see obese mothers feeding cheeseburgers to toddlers, I rarely see parents putting ciggies in kids' mouths. :D

Danny
16-Jul-2009, 09:46 PM
thats completely different though, you can say "no thank you" to fatty foods, you cant when you leave a building and one of the smokers huddled under the roof of the doorway turns to you and blows a cloud of rank smog in your face.

MaximusIncredulous
16-Jul-2009, 09:53 PM

Cheese farts can be pretty deadly :dead:

Everybody is going crazy with tobacco prohibition. Now they want soldiers to stop puffing.

EvilNed
16-Jul-2009, 09:59 PM
thats completely different though, you can say "no thank you" to fatty foods, you cant when you leave a building and one of the smokers huddled under the roof of the doorway turns to you and blows a cloud of rank smog in your face.

There's still two things you won't admit, it seems:

- Fat food is more of a health issue to our society than smoking is. It costs more money and causes more deaths.

- Unlike smoking, it is imprinted upon the young.

Yet you won't find any colleges that have a fast food prohibition. Strange, right?

Danny
16-Jul-2009, 10:15 PM
There's still two things you won't admit, it seems:

- Fat food is more of a health issue to our society than smoking is. It costs more money and causes more deaths.

- Unlike smoking, it is imprinted upon the young.

Yet you won't find any colleges that have a fast food prohibition. Strange, right?

1: im not saying its less of a health issue, im just saying i can say "no thanks ill take the salad" i cant say "no thanks, keep the stuff your breathing into the air out of my air.

2: Its only in the last 10 years medias stopped the image of "cool kids" being smokers, why else did most people take up smoking in the first place? "oh hey, this causes a number of debilitating diseases and can lead to cancer, sign me the fuck up!", no its always peer pressure of some sort, wanting to fit in with someone else, to be seen in a certain light with friends or family, sharing one with the old man as some recognition he thinks your an adult ect. ect.

The long and short of it is people arent forced to smoke, they choose to, people around them dont have a choice however, now ill sit with friends on a day at uni at the local cafe and they'll smoke, even use a hooka or a sheesh pipe, do i tell them to stop?, no, but do i like it when it gets blown in my face?, of course not.
And the fast food argument isnt really the same, yes its very bad for you, it shouldn't exist, but as living creatures we need to intake food as sustenance, fast food is just a lazy convenient way of doing so, its poor food to eat to be sure, but you need to eat to live, and its not all fatty food, so the fast food vs smoking argument isnt that valid. Everybody eats, a lot eat shit and thats there own fault, noone HAS to smoke to begin with and in this day and age with the knowledge of how bad it is my mind boggles when i see kids years younger than me taking it up when they know its not good for them.

-Case in point a neighbor of mine is 14 years old, he is now in rehab classes to quit his heavy smoking addiction, he wears pactches, uses a little fake white plastic cigarette and gets angry, shakey and visibly worse for wear when he doesn't get his nicotine fix.

Sure theres more cases of obese people out there, but there both problems, not alternatives, and is that really so much better than some fat guy in a double rascal eating his weight in mcnuggets?

EvilNed
16-Jul-2009, 10:21 PM
There are many things that are unpleasant. Getting smoke blown in your face is just one of em'. I don't particulary fancy when people throw up around me, but that doesn't mean I'm against alcohol.

And now you'll say "Yeah, but second hand smoking kills.", and yes this is true. But what is also true is that if you don't want to stand next to a smoker, you don't have too.

So again, there's no valid argument there. Not for closing down smoking on a college. I can agree to banning inside smoking, because that's just filthy and gets stuck in the walls. But smoking outside? Come on, complaining about that is like complaining about rain.

And now I'm gonna go out for a cigarette. ;)

SRP76
16-Jul-2009, 10:30 PM
Fine. How about if we ban ugly people, too? Seeing them causes me psychological trauma. Don't try to say looking at ugly people all day doesn't have a negative health effect.

So, since we're trying to force people into health, we have to get rid of the eyesores. Just say no to hunchbacks.

MikePizzoff
16-Jul-2009, 10:43 PM
Glad to see you guys are on the same level as me.

Except Hells - go F yourself! :p

Danny
16-Jul-2009, 10:49 PM
There are many things that are unpleasant. Getting smoke blown in your face is just one of em'. I don't particulary fancy when people throw up around me, but that doesn't mean I'm against alcohol.

And now you'll say "Yeah, but second hand smoking kills.", and yes this is true. But what is also true is that if you don't want to stand next to a smoker, you don't have too.

So again, there's no valid argument there. Not for closing down smoking on a college. I can agree to banning inside smoking, because that's just filthy and gets stuck in the walls. But smoking outside? Come on, complaining about that is like complaining about rain.

And now I'm gonna go out for a cigarette. ;)

i agree, i wasnt trying to make a valid argument, i just mean that i dont care either way, it just whent off on a tangent.:lol:

DubiousComforts
17-Jul-2009, 12:16 AM
How about cigarette butts? I see idiotic smokers toss them out of car windows all the time either because 1.) they don't want to stink up their own automobile or 2.) their arm is apparently broken in such a way that prevents tossing the used butts in the direction of said vehicle's ashtray.

Either way, it's lazy and moronic behavior that needlessly litters the area for everyone simply because a bunch of tobacco junkies are unable keep their filthiness to themselves. Perhaps this college banned smoking on their grounds for this same reason? If so, good for them! :p

Fine. How about if we ban ugly people, too? Seeing them causes me psychological trauma.
I'm for that. Send me your mugshot and I'll get to work on it.

EvilNed
17-Jul-2009, 12:42 AM
How about cigarette butts? I see idiotic smokers toss them out of car windows all the time either because 1.) they don't want to stink up their own automobile or 2.) their arm is apparently broken in such a way that prevents tossing the used butts in the direction of said vehicle's ashtray.

Again, chewing gum. Want a law passed against them?

There are laws against littering... And if there aren't, there sort off should be. But that has nothing to do with smoking. People throw away all sorts of crap.

MaximusIncredulous
17-Jul-2009, 02:20 AM
How about cigarette butts?

Either way, it's lazy and moronic behavior that needlessly litters the area for everyone simply because a bunch of tobacco junkies are unable keep their filthiness to themselves. Perhaps this college banned smoking on their grounds for this same reason? If so, good for them! :p

They make portable ash trays for that. PM sent me a couple for free when I was smoking Parliaments.

DubiousComforts
17-Jul-2009, 02:20 AM
Gum chewers don't smell like shite whilst standing in one's general vicinity.

Regardless, even though there are no laws that specifically prohibit gum chewing, there are plenty of American schools that don't allow gum chewing, particularly grade schools. Banning the practice in a particular place is not the same as making it illegal.

There are laws against littering... And if there aren't, there sort off should be. But that has nothing to do with smoking. People throw away all sorts of crap.
"Everyone is doing it" is no excuse. The fact is the only people that litter by tossing cigarette butts into the street, out of car windows or wherever they feel like are smokers. It's impossible to throw away a cigarette butt if one doesn't smoke cigarettes to begin with.

I win!

EvilNed
17-Jul-2009, 08:52 AM
Gum chewers don't smell like shite whilst standing in one's general vicinity.

Regardless, even though there are no laws that specifically prohibit gum chewing, there are plenty of American schools that don't allow gum chewing, particularly grade schools. Banning the practice in a particular place is not the same as making it illegal.

Kids are kids. They can't be asked to take the same amount of "cleaning" responsibility as the rest of us. Most likely, they'd rather break the rules to be "cool". So I can see sense in that.

"Everyone is doing it" is no excuse. The fact is the only people that litter by tossing cigarette butts into the street, out of car windows or wherever they feel like are smokers. It's impossible to throw away a cigarette butt if one doesn't smoke cigarettes to begin with.

I win!

It is also impossible to throw away trash in general, if one does not generate it. So should we also ban ice cream, chewing gum, chocolate etc. etc.?

kortick
17-Jul-2009, 02:47 PM
Its all just another sign how people dont
know how to handle a situation.

No smoking indoors, fine.
U have to accept that non smokers
dont like the smell, although i dont
think they are gonna drop dead from
cancer if they get a whiff of it.

Here they have glass enclosures that
look like bus stops where u can smoke and
they have ashtrays in them which use of
is expected.

People need to realise that the smoker isnt
gonna quit smoking. They will just go around the
rules. Im sure that smoking grass isnt allowed on
campus, but i have a feeling its done anyway.
And thats even illegal, smoking isnt.

its all about finding a middle ground so everybody
can then focus on classes and graduation.

Hell i remember when I was little u could smoke
in doctors offices, hospitals, movie theaters,
and even in high school they had a smoking room
for underage kids. I seem to remember being able to
smoke in department stores too cuz they had those
sand filled ashtrays. does any of the older crowd here
remember these things or other places like that?

EvilNed
17-Jul-2009, 03:00 PM
Yeah. I just came back from a trip to Bosnia, and it's still like that over there. It was the first time in my life that I entered my hotel room and saw an ashtray waiting for me. It just seemed wierd.

Smoking is just allowed everywhere there, including the airport and shops and stuff like that.

darth los
17-Jul-2009, 03:21 PM
Smoking is just allowed everywhere there, including the airport and shops and stuff like that.

And somehow the world hasn't spun off it's axis and hurled itself into infinity.

Go figure.....:confused:

:cool:

DubiousComforts
17-Jul-2009, 07:04 PM
People need to realise that the smoker isnt
gonna quit smoking.
Smokers need to realize that it's no longer urbane or debonair to be smoking cigarettes... unless they are Japanese. The Japanese have elevated cigarette smoking to a fine art form.

And somehow the world hasn't spun off it's axis and hurled itself into infinity.
Then move to Bosnia. I'm certain the educational system is awesome.

MikePizzoff
17-Jul-2009, 08:03 PM
Here they have glass enclosures that
look like bus stops where u can smoke and
they have ashtrays in them which use of
is expected.

What city do you live in? I've never seen these and I've been everywhere in the US (except the West Coast... I presume that's where you're residing).

Im sure that smoking grass isnt allowed on
campus, but i have a feeling its done anyway.
And thats even illegal, smoking isnt.

Funny you should say that... I once witness 4 kids smoking a bowl directly out front of the library on campus, right in plain view of a security guard.

its all about finding a middle ground so everybody
can then focus on classes and graduation.

That's what I'm trying to say, but some people are missing my point. I'm not saying we have a right and deserve to smoke in the face of non-smokers; I'm saying that we do, however, deserve a designated area for us, which non-smokers can easily avoid. You may ask: why do you deserve this? Because, we pay to go to school there, too, and tobacco is not an illegal substance.

Hell i remember when I was little u could smoke
in doctors offices, hospitals, movie theaters,
and even in high school they had a smoking room
for underage kids. I seem to remember being able to
smoke in department stores too cuz they had those
sand filled ashtrays. does any of the older crowd here
remember these things or other places like that?

I'm only 25 and I actually do have memories of the mall near me having ashtrays in it, with people smoking while walking between stores.

Yojimbo
18-Jul-2009, 10:27 PM
I understand your objection, hellsing and it's your right not to have to smell things that you don't want to smell.

Along these lines, they ought to ban those fragrances -cheap perfume, extreme deodorant, minty breath strips- that annoy people. Maybe not everyone is annoyed by them, but a lot of folks are.

A few years back when I was working some random corporate temp job I got into an elevator after having a smoke break outside and some woman started to berate me because I carried with me the aroma of tobacco smoke - not actual smoke, mind you, but the residual aroma by product of having enjoyed a cigarette outside- and this bitch was wearing smelly hair product and way too much counterfeit Obsession fragrance and some vanilla scented body lotion that I found particuarly rank. Of course, I pointed this out to her and her clever retort was that at least she wasn't going to give me cancer from her odors. I wish I coujld have projectile vomited on cue all over her self-righteous self, because at that moment that is what my impulse was.

My only point is, I think folks are getting a little ridiculous in their zeal to demonize smokers. I know smoking is not good for me and pisses a lot of folks off, so I don't mind smoking outside. But to ban the practice outright after you have sent me outside like a bad dog so that I may wallow in my own crapulance- what is that but a bunch of nanny-like bullying?

What city do you live in? I've never seen these and I've been everywhere in the US (except the West Coast... I presume that's where you're residing).

Dude, no way. The west coast is the pack leader when it comes to fucking with smokers. I would be very surprised to hear that any municipal government here on the westside would ever spend even one dollar to cater to the smoker's needs. Smoking has been banned here in Los Angeles restaurants for at least 20 years now, and they have silly regulations like smokers need to stand at least 60 feet from the entrance to any building. Some municipalities here in southern california have banned smoking in public anywhere in their city limits. Smoking has been banned in the parks, on the beaches. You cannot even smoke in bars here! In fact, there are a number of apartment and condo complexes where you can get evicted for lighting up in your own unit.

I hear what Dubious is saying, and he is right that there are a lot of rude people out there and some of them are smokers.

But your reference regarding chewing gum reminds me of Singapore where they did just that- banned the possession of chewing gum because they wanted to keep their streets clean. Of course, that is a society that administers caning as punishment for a number of crimes, so it does not surprise me.

How about if we ban ugly people, too?

:lol::lol::lol:Classic SRP!

Chic Freak
19-Jul-2009, 03:23 PM
To be honest nobody needs cigarettes to live so i cant really get worked up about stuff like this, even if i had ever smoked id feel the same way.

Don't think you would!

You don't *need* to eat or drink between leaving the house in the morning and returning at night, but it would be pretty miserable and distracting if you couldn't. Cigarette addiction feels similar but more intense (in my experience).

I would not have been able to concentrate on my studies if I had not been able to smoke on campus and in my room in halls while revising, getting ready to go into an exam, a lecture, etc (I was a heavy 40+ per day smoker).

They did attempt to introduce a similar ban at my university; fortunately an unspoken agreement between smokers resulted in everyone continuing to smoke outside anyway. No-one ever attempted to fine me, but if they had I would have refused to pay, not least because after fags and tuition fees I didn't have any money to spare anyway!