PDA

View Full Version : Star Fleet

capncnut
21-Jul-2009, 05:41 AM
Who remembers Star Fleet?

I used to watch this show back in the early eighties and loved every single episode. The whole series was released on DVD earlier this year and I finally fulfilled a child/adult-long deam to watch the whole thing again. Remarkable! I had no idea it was Japanese and thought it was the bastard son of one of Gerry Anderson's turds. This show took a giant loaf on Thunderbirds and Terrahawks as far as I'm concerned and was a lot darker, with a much more adult theme (even though you wouldn't think so looking at the vids). When I was a kid, I wanted to bang Commander Makara. Diehards will know it as X Bomber, but f**k that, it's Star Fleet as far as I'm concerned. :)

Here's a few videos, maybe these will jog thy memory:

Show intro
mn7owXIOffE

DAI X launch
P4q_TBYL6lg

DAI X assemble and battle
77KTTDiTRvs

Theme tune by Brian May and Eddie Van Halen (cheesy as hell but has a cool solo)
Pjijteu0gcQ

I apologise for the audio quality but damn, this show kicked ass! I guess I'm showing my age but does anyone remember this? :cool:

shootemindehead
21-Jul-2009, 07:43 AM
Strange.

Just had a 'Star Fleet' nostalgia trip myself last week. :D

I remember this, 'Ulysses 31' and 'Space 1999' on Saturday mornings as a kid in the early 80's, when Saturday mornings were worth getting up for.

Used to love Commander Makara and the little fighters her pilots used to fly.

I'll always remember being fascinated by the level of detail the model makers put into the work, even down the the wear and tear on the metal of moving parts on the vehicles.

Also, the theme was by a fella called Paul Bliss. Brian May had nothing to do with it apparently.

Him and Van Halen made a record called 'Star Fleet' after the show had become a success.