PDA

View Full Version : Olde Tyme Dead?

Andy
23-Jul-2009, 05:25 PM
I Was just wondering, does anyone know of any zombie movie/story set around medieval times or old times in general? i think this is kind of a cool idea but ive never seen it done.

Does anyone know of any?

Yojimbo
23-Jul-2009, 06:00 PM
I Was just wondering, does anyone know of any zombie movie/story set around medieval times or old times in general? i think this is kind of a cool idea but ive never seen it done.

Does anyone know of any?
I saw a zombie western called "The Quick and the Undead" which wasn't all that bad, and beyond that I think that there was some sort of Wesley Snipes vehicle in the works in a similar vein.

I would not mind a knights vs. zombies film or story in the least. It also occurs to me that since toothcare was poor back in olden times, that maybe ghouls would have attacked folks with a toothless mouthfull of gums, basically harmless but still creepy.

Rancid Carcass
23-Jul-2009, 06:09 PM
Knight of the Living Dead? :lol:

Andy
23-Jul-2009, 06:25 PM
Knight of the Living Dead? :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_of_the_Living_Dead

:|

capncnut
23-Jul-2009, 06:29 PM
No films but there's a good little book called The Devil's Plague which is set in 1651, where London becomes overrun by hordes of the undead.

Slain
23-Jul-2009, 10:52 PM
A zombie outbreak could explain why some civilizations of the distance past simply disappeared without a trace. Suppose a society figured out a way to turn living people in undead or slowly dying zombies for use as laborers to build monuments, etc. After a while the zombie laborers get out of hand and slaughter the people who created them. I can imagine a few ways a society might lose control of their zombies; they got greedy and created to many of them, or they became decadent and tried turning their zombies into a fighting force.

Kind of makes me wonder what would happen if a government or large corporation rediscovered the technique for creating zombies. Modern, western man is not nearly as supperstition as people of ancient times. We are also the "me" generation preprogrammed for rebellion, and our heads our filled with pop horror movie culture that tells us what an undead person should act like. I kind of doubt a manufactured undead person would act like a mindless Romero zombie, but they might display monster like aspects such as sucking blood from people or eating human flesh.

Danny
23-Jul-2009, 11:03 PM
like drueghs and stuff?, barrrow wrights and all that?

cant remember the names but theres some norse and viking tales about legendary battles against the undead.

theres been romero fanboys since we could tell scary stories, we jsut didnt know it till the 20th century.:lol:

Slain
24-Jul-2009, 12:00 AM
In the 16th, 17th century Spanish conquistadors roamed the American southwest in search of gold and silver. These Spaniards somehow got the Indians of this region to dig mines and treasure caves, and set up huge stone markers for them. When the Spaniards had no more use for their Indians labors they simply massacred them to keep the location of the treasure sites a secret. How relatively small bands of conquistadors could compelled fierce Indian warriors in laboring for them, and then apparently killing them easily later on is a mystery to me since these Indians didn't hold the Spaniards in superstition awe.

Towards the end of the conquistador era in the southwest, the King of Spain banished the religious order working (I belief it was the Jesuit order but I might be wrong) with the Spaniards in the new world. The reason for the expulsion of this religious order is said to have been because they were plotting to wrest control of the new world over to Holland. But who knows if this is entirely the truth. Perhaps the order was converting Indians into zombie slaves, and the king and church didn't like it.

If some Christian sects knew of a technique for turning humans into zombies, the knowledge on how to do this might have been snuffed out by the notorious inquisitions sweeping through Europe in this era. Keep in mind, the Spaniards might have learned the technique for making zombies from an Indian civilization in elsewhere in the Americas. The priests who burned every Mayan picture book they could find might have found information in these books that truly frightened them--such as how to turn someone into a zombie--so they had everything burned.

In any case, I think the idea of ancients turning people into zombies is at least as plausible as Chariots of the Gods-ancient astronaut type theories.

Mike70
24-Jul-2009, 02:05 AM
to show you just how far zombies have penetrated western culture, here is an article from a serious periodical, Archaeology, that humorously discusses evidence for zombie outbreaks in the ancient world.

this article was put up on april fools a few years ago.

http://www.archaeology.org/online/interviews/zombies/

hadrian0117
25-Jul-2009, 01:41 AM
I just started reading Pride & Prejudice & Zombies. Seth Grahame-Smith took Jane Austen's novel and added zombies and ninja elements. It's Regency England, not the Middle Ages, but it's pretty funny.

Danny
25-Jul-2009, 02:07 AM
I just started reading Pride & Prejudice & Zombies. Seth Grahame-Smith took Jane Austen's novel and added zombies and ninja elements. It's Regency England, not the Middle Ages, but it's pretty funny.

reading it myself right now, well worth buying.

Rancid Carcass
27-Jul-2009, 12:47 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_of_the_Living_Dead

:|

Nooooooooooooooo!

I was going for lame-ass joke of the week award and now I find I've been thwarted by an actual movie! Damn it all to hell!

Having said that, I would have loved to have been there when they pitched it: "so, it's about this knight..." :D