PDA

View Full Version : Day of the Dead 2008 - Dear God!

Neil
26-Jul-2009, 06:41 AM
Just flicked over and caught a bit of it on TV! Why are zombies clambering around like spiderman on ceilings? Seriously? In who's demented head did that ever make sense in?

I quickly turned over before any serious damage occurred!

Trancelikestate
26-Jul-2009, 09:26 AM
on another thread about this movie in recent posts we all shared our own traumatic feelings about this movie. the sad this is its not even the bottom of the barrel :(

krakenslayer
26-Jul-2009, 09:33 AM
I really don't want to see this movie, but I do want to see this wall crawling zombie, it sounds hilarious. Gonna have a look on YouTube...

SymphonicX
26-Jul-2009, 09:44 AM
When I saw about 10 mins of the movie, there were tons of wall zombies, ridiculous...its all over the movie it seems?! I got it on my Sky plus but I don't think I'll ever sit through it....the most annoying thing about it all? They've tied up the rights now so someone MUCH BETTER can't remake it into something DECENT! And even more annoyingly, this film bears NO RESEMBLANCE to the original in any way, shape or form. It's like remaking Jaws without the fuckin' shark but keeping Brody and Quint as lead characters!!!!

MinionZombie
26-Jul-2009, 10:11 AM
*ahem*

127 reasons in 87 minutes why Ghey'08 is utter shite:

Part One:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/04/ghey08-bitch-list-part-one.html

Part Two:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/04/ghey08-bitch-list-part-two.html

Part Three:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/04/ghey08-bitch-list-part-three.html

50) "Oh my God, you're fucking kidding me!" ... is what I actually said as a shitty CGI 'zombie' scuttles across the ceiling. SERIOUSLY.

:elol:

Yes ... I actually sat through this pile of AIDs, but to make it 0.000001% bearable, I made a bitch list about it as I did so.

I saw "Day of the Dead" listed on ITV4, and I figured it'd be the god-awful 'remake' (so not a remake, it's got even less to do with the original than Yawn04) ... but they have also been showing Land of the Dead recently too.

shootemindehead
26-Jul-2009, 11:18 AM
Yep.

I have utterly rejected the "run-around" zombie. I hate them and anything they've appeared in just turns me off and I won't watch it.

But the spider zombies take the feckin biscuit.

As Simon Pegg said in his moan about 'Dead Set'...

"Death is a disability, not a super-power..."

capncnut
26-Jul-2009, 04:37 PM
Yes ... I actually sat through this pile of AIDs, but to make it 0.000001% bearable, I made a bitch list about it as I did so.
I'm just thankful that I was able to download this steaming pile of cack instead of paying for it. But trust me, once I finished viewing, that thing was wiped from my pc in case it's utter shit-ness infected it somehow. I was even considering a re-install.

Imagine the poor bastards who shelled out twelve notes for it. :stunned:

I noticed on the DVD cover there was a directors commentary - how's that one gonna work out? "I'm Steve Miner and I'm the director of this 'film', and before we begin I would like to apologise from the bottom of my heart for putting you all through 87 minutes of pure unadulterated turd." :lol:

Neil
26-Jul-2009, 05:27 PM
I really don't want to see this movie, but I do want to see this wall crawling zombie, it sounds hilarious. Gonna have a look on YouTube...

Seriously, one scuttled along hanging from the ceiling. It was also sped up so looked beyond daft. Other sequences of zombies running also seemed to be sped up to appear like the keystone cops :stunned:

I noticed on the DVD cover there was a directors commentary - how's that one gonna work out? "I'm Steve Miner and I'm the director of this 'film', and before we begin I would like to apologise from the bottom of my heart for putting you all through 87 minutes of pure unadulterated turd." :lol:

I'd love to listen to that commentary... I want to hear that thought process and justification... :rockbrow:

Andy
26-Jul-2009, 05:42 PM
Well i for one would give Day'08 a 1/10.. and that one would be for (the movie's only redeeming quality)..

http://static.leasticoulddo.com/word/exiguous2-MenaSuvari.jpg

:hyper:

MinionZombie
26-Jul-2009, 05:49 PM
Ewww ... Mena Suvari? Andy ... dude ... :eek:

:D

Capn - perhaps he says something like "I'm the director, Steve Miner ... you know once upon a time I could make a good movie, one such example was Friday 13th Part 2 ... ... I've since started smoking crack." :p

Andy
26-Jul-2009, 05:51 PM

You would kick her out of bed? you in the closet or something? :lol:

MinionZombie
26-Jul-2009, 05:56 PM
You would kick her out of bed? you in the closet or something? :lol:
If she farted yes ... but if she was on strictly good behaviour I'd let her stay I suppose ... for a bit. :lol:

Now ... Missy Peregrym, she could stay as long as she wanted. :D

capncnut
26-Jul-2009, 06:00 PM
Seriously, one scuttled along hanging from the ceiling. It was also sped up so looked beyond daft. Other sequences of zombies running also seemed to be sped up to appear like the keystone cops :stunned:
That reminds me of a review I wrote when the film came out. I said something similar like "these zombies are sped up so fast that they look like they are in a chase scene on The Benny Hill Show." :D

Capn - perhaps he says something like "I'm the director, Steve Miner ... you know once upon a time I could make a good movie, one such example was Friday 13th Part 2 ... ... I've since started smoking crack." :p
:lol:

Well i for one would give Day'08 a 1/10.. and that one would be for (the movie's only redeeming quality).
I'd give it a 3. A point for each of the following:

- Good make up
- Mena's ass (those cheeks are so tight you could crack walnuts with 'em)
- The sheer balls of even releasing this crap as a remake to Day

ProfessorChaos
26-Jul-2009, 06:11 PM
i've heard so many bad things about this film....i was opposed to it from jump street, and time and tons of negative feedback have sealed the deal:

I WILL NEVER WATCH THIS ATROCITY. EVER.

AcesandEights
26-Jul-2009, 08:17 PM

Come on, MZ, her face isn't that weird.

kidgloves
26-Jul-2009, 10:10 PM
I think I was the first one here to see this after downloading it and I remember being severly offended by this pathetic excuse for a "zombie" movie. But oh no I couldn't help myself recording it when I saw it was on ITV4. Of course I lasted probably 5 mins before it all came flooding back so it promptly got switched off. The pain was too much.
Absolutely disgraceful attempted cash in.
I'm rewatching Shaun of the Dead at the mo. Now there's a zombie movie

darth los
28-Jul-2009, 05:54 PM
I think I was the first one here to see this after downloading it and I remember being severly offended by this pathetic excuse for a "zombie" movie. But oh no I couldn't help myself recording it when I saw it was on ITV4. Of course I lasted probably 5 mins before it all came flooding back so it promptly got switched off. The pain was too much.
Absolutely disgraceful attempted cash in.
I'm rewatching Shaun of the Dead at the mo. Now there's a zombie movie

I think it's time to seperate runners and shamblers. Not literally but in our sense of what zombies should be runners, cieling crawlers and yelpers (yes, you too big daddy) don't belong.

I think they should just be in a seperate catagory. That way we can just enjoy them (or not :lol: ) for what they are.

Zombies an ghouls should cover the shamblers we love. The runners, etc, should just be called infected whether they're technically dead or not. Either way their superhuman feats don't fit into our neat little box.

Side note: The zombies from left for dead are refered to as infected yet the official guide clearly states that these beings are dead. I seems that if pop culture is remaking what we think zombies are or should be.

Just something to think about.

:cool:

Trancelikestate
28-Jul-2009, 06:15 PM
big daddy single handedly ruined land for me. he is just awful. so irritating. i wish bub would walk up from florida and twist his ugly little screaming zombie head right off.

and yes, the day remake makes me feel like my head is gonna explode.

darth los
28-Jul-2009, 06:43 PM
big daddy single handedly ruined land for me. he is just awful. so irritating. i wish bub would walk up from florida and twist his ugly little screaming zombie head right off.

I'm starting the petition as we speak buddy !! :lol:

He ruined it for me as well as is the biggest reason why I've only watched it 2 or 3 times all the way through.

As annoying as the the raptor/track stars are for the dawn 04' haters Big daddy is the the counterpart to the land haters.

I love dawn 04' and will conceed that the zombies in it mayhave been over the top. yet the same concession has not been made in the other camp about the behavior of big daddy. All we get are excuses.

I would be nice is all I'm sayin'.

BillyRay
28-Jul-2009, 07:25 PM
More pics of Mena Suvari, please.

Andy
28-Jul-2009, 10:09 PM
Zombies an ghouls should cover the shamblers we love. The runners, etc, should just be called infected whether they're technically dead or not. Either way their superhuman feats don't fit into our neat little box.

Now i dont agree with that, i think runners can be considered zombies as i think its perfectly feasible for a zombie to be able to run aslong as its body is capable, i can remember who it was but someone said once that zombies should start out as runners and turn to shamblers as they age and their bodies and muscles deterioate.. which i agree with and think is perfectly plausible.

I Think it was DJ... im not sure..

MinionZombie
29-Jul-2009, 09:51 AM
Now i dont agree with that, i think runners can be considered zombies as i think its perfectly feasible for a zombie to be able to run aslong as its body is capable, i can remember who it was but someone said once that zombies should start out as runners and turn to shamblers as they age and their bodies and muscles deterioate.. which i agree with and think is perfectly plausible.

Yes, it was DJ - that was his M.O. for his zeds in the Deadlands flicks.

Those flicks being the rare occasions (along with Dead Set) where I can stomach runners ... but I'm very much of the 'Simon Pegg mindset' - in that death should be a disability, not a super power.

Running is a complex, co-ordinated action - but the zombies can't speak, or be civil, or organise themselves (all complex, co-ordinated tasks), but they can run like Usain Bolt ... yeah right.

In movies like Yawn04, runners just strike me as lazy writing, the people hammering the keys can't be arsed to figure out situations with shamblers where the shit goes down.

I myself have written a feature-length zombie epic script - with shamblers - and it was just a case of putting people in situations where they became vulnerable and making it believable, as well as exciting, but then also showing that if the people were careful, worked together, didn't become complacent etc, then they'd be okay.

Like I said, Dead Set and the Deadlands flicks are the only "runner" movies I can stomach, and they each have something a lot more going for them than that, which are the real reasons why I like them and that they're good quality entertainment.

Yawn04 was pure shit-pish.

Zombie Snack
29-Jul-2009, 01:17 PM
On the farm when we go out to get a fresh chicken for supper, I have witnessed on may occasions right after twisting the head off of a chicken the "body" of the chicken will run wildly around the yard for a short time and then continue to "twitch" and jerk for some time afterwards. It cant see, it cant eat, it cant logic, but by god it can run around before it shambles.

darth los
29-Jul-2009, 03:20 PM

Now that's something that makes alot of sense. And if someone made a film like that, that would be one thing.

However, the films that are made today involving runners don't. Months into it they're still running. Hell they might even be faster.

One thing is for sure and is the point I was trying to make: The runners that people get on so much here aren't like what most of us accept as zombies. There are numerous differences that seperate the two. Enough so that they might be considered a deifferent "species".

In any case having them in seperate catagories will get us off each others back for the most part on this issue, imo.

That'll free up waaaaaaay more time for timeline discussions!! :hyper: :p

DjfunkmasterG
29-Jul-2009, 04:53 PM
While Day 08 is bad, its nowhere near as bad as the name rape sequel to the original aka Craptagium.

While I think Children is most likely the worst zombie film ever made, Craptagium is just so bad it is beyond redemption. I use to think a title change would help it, but now I doubt even that is possible.

Andy
29-Jul-2009, 05:53 PM
Running is a complex, co-ordinated action - but the zombies can't speak, or be civil, or organise themselves (all complex, co-ordinated tasks), but they can run like Usain Bolt ... yeah right.

In movies like Yawn04, runners just strike me as lazy writing, the people hammering the keys can't be arsed to figure out situations with shamblers where the shit goes down.

Well i cant say i agree, i dont class running as a "complex co-ordinated action" on the same level of brain function as speaking or being civil... it more of a instinct were as being civil is just something thats taught to us from childhood.

Countless different animals run, especially when chasing prey. So i think it could safely be considered a instinct.

Secondly while i do agree with you that shamblers are by far the superior zombie, dont get me wrong here, i think runners can be a enjoyable alternative and i think dawn'04 was done quite well, especially in comparison to other movies like day'08 for example.. love dawn'04 or hate it, you have to admit the first 10 minutes of the movie were good.

I Cant think of anything like that for Day'08.

AcesandEights
29-Jul-2009, 06:06 PM
On the farm when we go out to get a fresh chicken for supper, I have witnessed on may occasions right after twisting the head off of a chicken the "body" of the chicken will run wildly around the yard for a short time and then continue to "twitch" and jerk for some time afterwards. It cant see, it cant eat, it cant logic, but by god it can run around before it shambles.

Great point and well put!

I also have to say I'm happy to see Andy's take on the matter. I agree that shamblers are the superior sort of zed, but think there's room for runners within reason.

DjfunkmasterG
29-Jul-2009, 06:30 PM
Well i cant say i agree, i dont class running as a "complex co-ordinated action" on the same level of brain function as speaking or being civil... it more of a instinct were as being civil is just something thats taught to us from childhood.

Countless different animals run, especially when chasing prey. So i think it could safely be considered a instinct.

Secondly while i do agree with you that shamblers are by far the superior zombie, dont get me wrong here, i think runners can be a enjoyable alternative and i think dawn'04 was done quite well, especially in comparison to other movies like day'08 for example.. love dawn'04 or hate it, you have to admit the first 10 minutes of the movie were good.

I Cant think of anything like that for Day'08.

The first 10 of Dawn 04 is really good, especially when Ana comes ut of the house and the whole neighborhood is thrown into chaos.

That is the method I use for my films. It is based on the effects of Rigor mortis. When it sets in you start to slow down because everything cramps up, but you can become more agile after a while because it does eventually work itself out.

It was something I used in Deadlands 1, but didn't employ in Deadlands 2 because the whole zombie outbreak covered in Deadlands 2 is only a window of about 6 hours max.

Now that's something that makes alot of sense. And if someone made a film like that, that would be one thing.

However, the films that are made today involving runners don't. Months into it they're still running. Hell they might even be faster.

I think I am the only one to use the method Andy refers too. However, I haven't addressed that issue for the third film because it all depends on what scale the third one gets done at, whether it be a combo remake of part and a new story bunched into it, or just a simple third zombie film told in the post zombie uprising era.

darth los
29-Jul-2009, 06:43 PM
I think I am the only one to use the method Andy refers too. However, I haven't addressed that issue for the third film because it all depends on what scale the third one gets done at, whether it be a combo remake of part and a new story bunched into it, or just a simple third zombie film told in the post zombie uprising era.

That sounds cool. I just get tired of every zombie film being basically the same. The two most kickass stretches of film that I can recall, imo, are the final 30 minutes of day and the first 10-15 minutes of dawn 04'.

Imo, this is so because it's just complete chaos. The beginning of dawn o4' (and it's something everyone seems to mention, even detractors of the film,) shows the chaos that ensues in the streets. You almost never see that. We need much more of that type of epic scale stuff, imo.

There's nothing wrong with social comentary, but ya gotta bring the goods as well.

krakenslayer
29-Jul-2009, 07:17 PM
Imo, this is so because it's just complete chaos. The beginning of dawn o4' (and it's something everyone seems to mention, even detractors of the film,) shows the chaos that ensues in the streets. You almost never see that. We need much more of that type of epic scale stuff, imo.

I think Shaun did this quite well too, albeit in a different way, and with shamblers. Shaun's breakdown is more like a gradual decay... isolated incidents and attacks... reports of people being bitten... people talking about dishevelled junkies going nuts and killing people... before long the powers of the police and emergency services are exhausted and everyone is just sitting in their homes, peering out through their net curtains wondering what to do, waiting for some zombies to smash through the window.

AcesandEights
29-Jul-2009, 07:34 PM
I think Shaun did this quite well too, albeit in a different way, and with shamblers. Shaun's breakdown is more like a gradual decay... isolated incidents and attacks... reports of people being bitten... people talking about dishevelled junkies going nuts and killing people... before long the powers of the police and emergency services are exhausted and everyone is just sitting in their homes, peering out through their net curtains wondering what to do, waiting for some zombies to smash through the window.

Damn, I just re-watched Hot Fuzz this weekend, now you'll have me popping in Shaun for yet another look :D

DjfunkmasterG
29-Jul-2009, 08:38 PM
That sounds cool. I just get tired of every zombie film being basically the same. The two most kickass stretches of film that I can recall, imo, are the final 30 minutes of day and the first 10-15 minutes of dawn 04'.

There's nothing wrong with social comentary, but ya gotta bring the goods as well.

This is one thins I agree about. Which is why I like to do large scale even on my miniscule budget. If I could ever get the money I think I need to do the proper version of Deadlands it would be just the kind of scale you are looking for... Shoot me a PM with your email addy and I will send you the script for the next Deadlands flick so you can see what i am talking about.

MinionZombie
30-Jul-2009, 08:55 AM
And that's how is should be.

Andy - I would say running is a complex piece of co-ordination. You're operating all four of your limbs, you're keeping your balance, and you're making quick decisions.

Ever tried running when pretty damn drunk? Exactly - it's a mess - being dead would be a far worse hindrance.

Yojimbo
30-Jul-2009, 04:03 PM
The beginning of dawn o4' (and it's something everyone seems to mention, even detractors of the film,) shows the chaos that ensues in the streets. You almost never see that. We need much more of that type of epic scale stuff, imo.

I agree with Darth - I have been fiending for that sort of depiction of the outside world falling to shit at the beginning of the outbreak. I had hoped to see stuff like that in Diary, and while we got a few glimpses here and there, it was never to the scale or scope of the first 15 minutes of DAWN 04, which admittedly was a fine piece of work, runners notwithstanding (though the only real redeemable part of the remake IMO)

Agree with kraken that Shaun depicted the breakdown in a great way. Honestly, I know it was all humorous, but I felt a sense of dread while watching the build-up.

It is based on the effects of Rigor mortis. When it sets in you start to slow down because everything cramps up, but you can become more agile after a while because it does eventually work itself out.

True that rigor mortis gradually releases after a period of time and the joints loosen up to some degree. But folks always forget that this is, in a large part, a result of decomposition, and as such, the muscles and surrounding tissue begin to break down and lose elasticity. I would imagine, therefore, that even if rigor reduces, a reanimated corpse would not have the agility or strength that the person had in life. Given what I have seen in the DAWN remake and in DAY 08, it looks like somehow these zombies have superhuman abilities and strength which I find to be ridiculous. This is not meant as a diss on your zombies, DJ, since they are believable (even if they are fast) and they don't do silly things like have ultra strength and spiderman-like wall crawling abilities, and they do not shriek that velociraptor cry as they defy gravity. :)

ProfessorChaos
30-Jul-2009, 05:05 PM
runners suck for the most part, but i still enjoyed the dawn remake (primarily for the same reasons everyone else did: the first 15 minutes are fucking amazing, johnny cash song and intro credits included)

when i heard about the cast of the day remake, i was instantly turned off from the idea of seeing it....and then when i heard that they had zombies that crawl on the fucking walls, my reaction became:

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/44/mclovinpf2.gif

there's no way i'll ever in my life watch this fucking movie. and if i ever happen to encounter any of the shameless unoriginal fuckers involved, i'm going to give them an earful...and maybe even go to jail for assault. you guy's would chip in for my bail, right?

Yojimbo
30-Jul-2009, 05:54 PM
and if i ever happen to encounter any of the shameless unoriginal fuckers involved, i'm going to give them an earful...and maybe even go to jail for assault. you guy's would chip in for my bail, right?
Yeah, Professor, I would bail you out. But if I happened to be with you when this goes down, I would be inclined to jump into the fray and participate since these bastards deserve an old school beatdown, so I probably would have to get my wife to bail us BOTH out. It still would be worth going down for, IMO.

darth los
31-Jul-2009, 01:27 PM
Yeah, Professor, I would bail you out. But if I happened to be with you when this goes down, I would be inclined to jump into the fray and participate since these bastards deserve an old school beatdown, so I probably would have to get my wife to bail us BOTH out. It still would be worth going down for, IMO.

Well, there's a real good cure for that. When people stop paying for crap they'll stop making it. Otherwise what's their motivation?

I got your back tho guys!! :blood:

kidgloves
31-Jul-2009, 06:49 PM
You can't beat the original Dawn for the breakdown of society. The run up to entering the mall sets up the world situation brilliantly and the ensuing tv reports just heighten the chaos.
What a superb piece of work it is.

It's the breakdown of society that has always attracted me to these movies. WWZ is pure heaven for me.

krakenslayer
03-Aug-2009, 07:02 PM
While Day 08 is bad, its nowhere near as bad as the name rape sequel to the original aka Craptagium.

While I think Children is most likely the worst zombie film ever made, Craptagium is just so bad it is beyond redemption. I use to think a title change would help it, but now I doubt even that is possible.

They are all terrible, hideous films, but are any of them really close to being the worst zombie movie? Not to derail the debate, but isn't a big part of the reason they are considered so bad simply that they are besmirching the names of some genuinely classic films. I mean, they're horrible, but there are Euro-ripoff movies like Zombie Lake, Garden of the Living Dead and Black Demons that are probably just as bad, and even below them you have sewage-wallowing non-films like Raiders of the Living Dead and Alien Dead that seem to represent the bottom of the barrel of cinema in general (although the spectrum just seems to go on and on, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's even worse stuff out there...). I know name-rape plays a big part in my hatred of the films you mentioned, though.

MinionZombie
04-Aug-2009, 10:01 AM
I never consider Children of the Living Dead to be tied to GAR's flicks at all, despite the title and a couple of people involved ... it's just flat out terrible ... and here's 68 reasons why:

Children of the Living Dead - The Bitch List:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/03/68-reasons-why-children-of-living-dead.html

Craptagium I've not yet bothered to sit through - although I might actually do so, simply to write a new "bitch list" and tear it to shreds ... the bits that I have seen are fucking dreadful though.

My main issue is these people have gotten their hands on big chunks of money, and they're squandered it with the foulest waste of film/tape they could have imagined. A sack of unoriginal garbage that is garnished with really stupid dialogue, crappy acting, pish editing/directing/writing and so on.

I actually quite like Zombie Lake though - it knows it's hopping on the band wagon, but it's an original story (as far as such a thing can go) - I first saw bits of it in a compilation movie called "Zombiethon", then I got it on DVD for a fiver. It's just really funny, it has constant nudity thrown in, there's green coloured zombie Nazis in it - it's ideal euro-zombi-sleaze.

Oasis of the Zombies is in a similar area to Zombie Lake, but not as good (or not as good at being silly), but I still got enjoyment out of it.

There's bad-good and bad-bad ... Ghey08 and Yawn04 and Craptagium are quite simply bad-bad. The name-rape is just the moldy cherry atop the respective pyres of excrement.

Speaking of pish cash-ins, "Zombie Nosh" (aka Flesheater - you know, that Bill Hinzman one) ... oh my god, it's so bad it's hilarious:

Part One of the Zombie Nosh Bitch List:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/06/zombie-nosh-aka-flesheater-bitch-list.html

Part Two of the Zombie Nosh Bitch List:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/06/zombie-nosh-aka-flesheater-bitch-list_23.html

LuxorCaw
04-Aug-2009, 04:19 PM
Scanning through netflix, I noticed this was one of those movies you could watch directly on your PC, so I thought, "what the hell." I was getting ready to go to bed, Ill put this on and fall asleep, let's just see how bad this really is. Well maybe it was my mindset, or whatever, but I didnt think it was all that bad, and Ill explain why.

What I did, was I took my brain out and completely decided, before I watched it, that it wouldnt be anything like the original, or any of the slow moving zombie flicks that I love. I thought I would just try and enjoy it for the movie that is was, and try and find humor in all the other stupid shit that might come up. I also decided, as soon as the action started, that I would treat it as a 28 days later type virus flick, not a zombie movie.

- First off, Mena Suvari.

- I thought the setting was good, small town in the mountains being quarantined by the military, completely shut off, was interesting, and had potential.

- The way the virus spread, how everyone was kinda sick then BAM! outbreak, was enjoyable, and quickly turned it into a horror-action flim. (super jumping, wall and celing climbing aside, which made me glad I took my brain out.)

- It took them all of 5 minutes to realize they could shoot them in the head to kill them, that was kinda refreshing. One of my biggest pet peves is it seems in these movies is that none of these people have ever watched a zombie movie, and would always waste bullets until they finally realized to shoot them in the head.

- Plus to build on that, since they were in the military, most of them were good shots.

- And lastly, my favorite video game of all time is the Half-Life mod They Hunger. This movie had aspects of that game in it, the radio station, underground lab, backcountry setting, somewhat inteligent "zombies" at the end. Because of these connections that may have made me enjoy it tons more than the average person.

- What I didn't like, Nick Cannon (wow he's bad), I didn't like Bud, after he changed (vegetarian, yeah whatever), "zombies" melting in seconds from the fire...ok. And the rest of the "bullshit" moments that are too long to list, but for a brainless, nothing else to watch, action flick, it wasn't horrible.

triste realtą
04-Aug-2009, 09:21 PM
Speaking of pish cash-ins, "Zombie Nosh" (aka Flesheater - you know, that Bill Hinzman one) ... oh my gwahd, it's so bad it's hilarious:

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/06/zombie-nosh-aka-flesheater-bitch-list_23.html

Not enough beer, not enough fags
:stunned::stunned::stunned:

BTW, Susan is supposed to be a live-in kid watcher or something. If you bothered to watch the featurette, he explains that the stripper they hired to play the daughter had some sort of eye injury and was unavailable so they went with an older looking girl that did not look young enough to be the daughter. He even air typewrited when explaining that him and the other writer had to quickly change the script. Yes that's right it was written on paper.

MoonSylver
05-Aug-2009, 12:47 AM

I freakin' love that movie. Way more than I should. It's an unashamed, z-grade flick, made as such, & totally self aware of it's status. No pretentiousness here. As such, it's a lot of fun IMO.

MinionZombie
05-Aug-2009, 09:41 AM
Triste - my DVD has no featurette - it's the R2, you see.

Moon - aye, it's one of those "so bad it's kinda good" movies, and it always makes me smile (with a laugh) when I think about it - same goes for the likes of Zombi 3, or Zombie Lake, or Oasis of the Zombies.

The difference with Yawn04, or Ghey08, or even Craptagium, is they thought they were making something good in the first place...

triste realtą
05-Aug-2009, 08:50 PM
You know, I thought of that after I posted. That really sucks cause the extra features really added to that dvd. :lol: Does yours have the zombie Hinzman pizza commercial? I got Shriek Show's of course, and the funny thing about them and Anchor Bay is (I think) they're based out of the UK and most of their stuff is NTSC R1, which may or may not be a big problem, but that's what you should have got, cheaply in the Zombie Pack 2.:dead:

Jean jackets forever.

MoonSylver
05-Aug-2009, 10:42 PM
Moon - aye, it's one of those "so bad it's kinda good" movies, and it always makes me smile (with a laugh) when I think about it - same goes for the likes of Zombi 3, or Zombie Lake, or Oasis of the Zombies.

The difference with Yawn04, or Ghey08, or even Craptagium, is they thought they were making something good in the first place...

Yup. Same w/ CotLD. That has always been one of my main gripes w/ that flick. It COULD have rocked as a straight z-grade zombie flick (w/out all that Abbot Hayes crap), but instead they played it as straight & self-important as possible & it fails on nearly every level.

MinionZombie
06-Aug-2009, 10:00 AM
Yup. Same w/ CotLD. That has always been one of my main gripes w/ that flick. It COULD have rocked as a straight z-grade zombie flick (w/out all that Abbot Hayes crap), but instead they played it as straight & self-important as possible & it fails on nearly every level.
There's an excellent article on this very site about COTLD - from the director Tor Ramsey himself - it details all the trials and tribulations and explains exactly why it turned out to be such a steaming pile of monkey butts.

http://www.homepageofthedead.com/baps/cotld_email.html

It's a fantastic read, check it out.

Triste - yeah I got it on R2 years ago, there was a whole bunch of cheap-o zed flicks (like Zombi 3, Zombi 4, Zombi Holocaust, The Zombie Dead, and Zombie Nosh) for a fiver each, so I just got a whole bunch and set about watching them.

Back in those days I hadn't discovered DVDCompare.net (which is now like a Bible to me), nor was I particularly up on the differences between R1 and R2 packages mostly - I certainly am now and am very particular about which version I purchase.

krakenslayer
06-Aug-2009, 11:11 AM
Triste - yeah I got it on R2 years ago, there was a whole bunch of cheap-o zed flicks (like Zombi 3, Zombi 4, Zombi Holocaust, The Zombie Dead, and Zombie Nosh) for a fiver each, so I just got a whole bunch and set about watching them.

Back in those days I hadn't discovered DVDCompare.net (which is now like a Bible to me), nor was I particularly up on the differences between R1 and R2 packages mostly - I certainly am now and am very particular about which version I purchase.

Ahh Vipco - the company that would release damaged VHS prints on DVD and (originally) charge £20 for em. Once upon a time they were considered pioneers of the Video Nasty, but they fell from grace with their lazy attitude to DVD.

EvilNed
06-Aug-2009, 11:17 AM
Meh. Vipco had the disadvantage of being based in the UK, which meant that they'd would have to comply with the standards over there. Vipco was always considered of bad quality over here in Sweden, because they wouldn't release uncut versions of alot of films.

MinionZombie
06-Aug-2009, 11:55 AM
Meh. Vipco had the disadvantage of being based in the UK, which meant that they'd would have to comply with the standards over there. Vipco was always considered of bad quality over here in Sweden, because they wouldn't release uncut versions of alot of films.
hehe, aye I've got a number of Vipco releases - some still cut, some uncut - of course part of the reason for some of them being uncut is due to the BBFC.

Although a flick like House By The Cemetery is now finally uncut in the UK, if memory serves, from a few weeks ago.

Yeah, Vipco's DVDs never had any extras of worth, and the picture quality varied massively from one release to the next. Vipco was very attractive with it's lurid advert (with spooky horror voice saying "Vipco Vaults of HORROR!") on TV, just when all these flicks were getting released properly in the UK for the first time in 20 or 30 years ... especially attractive to someone who is new to the world of DVDs, let alone Region 1 DVDs often being better than their Region 2 counterparts.

I've since learned, naturally, and the likes of Shriek Show (excellent Zombi 2 25th anniversary DVD on R1), or Blue Underground (I've got numerous DVDs by them, the most recent being Mountain of the Cannibal God, which while having almost no extras, does feature a very good looking copy of the film in pristine 2.35:1), or even Grindhouse Releasing - which has a spiffy logo, is co-run by Sylvester Stallone's son Sage (I know, right???!!! :)), and is one I've recently discovered.

I recently got Cannibal Ferox, the Grindhouse Releasing uncut copy - and clearly it's one of their early DVDs as it's fairly light on extras, but they really put the effort in with putting together cast & crew bios, the nice (but rough) hidden feature of the re-release premiere in New York etc.

Most recently I got the 2-disc Grindhouse Releasing uncut copy of Cannibal Holocaust - this DVD being a different-covered re-print of the same Deluxe DVD that came out 2 or 3 years ago (but which went out of print).

You can really see they've put a lot of effort into the Cannibal Holocaust DVD - tons of hidden features, plus plenty of up-front extra features (I'm currently watching the 1 hour making of doc - the only shame is that it's only subtitled, if they'd gotten translators to speak over those on camera it would have been ideal), plus the packaging is quite cool (nice little in-lay card, just like with their Cannibal Ferox release) and the DVD menus for Cannibal Holocaust are well made too.

They've really put the effort in with that one, I should check out and see what other flicks they have on their label, as I've been pleasantly impressed by the two that I have bought on their label.

Speaking of shoddy DVD releases, I got one years ago of "Nightmare in a Damaged Brain" - my god, what a pish DVD that is - I've only watched it twice (once when I got it years ago, and a second time earlier this year) - the picture quality is awful, and has clearly come from some 3rd-or-worst generation VHS dub. The DVD presentation is pretty shoddy too - but what do you expect - it was early in the cycle of the UK finally getting their hands back on these movies, I was a few years younger, I had student loan money, and I was in HMV quite often. :D

The release of Maniac is kick ass though ... but sadly it is cut in the UK (again, bought it years ago before I found DVDCompare.net, and before I got so picky - rightly so).

Speaking of Vipco DVDs costing £20 ... yep, I've been there (fortunately only once) - I found this comic book shop in town and saw the cover for Drive-In Massacre and thought "that looks cool", and dumbly handed over TWENTY QUID for it. Although I did buy a book all about Last House on the Left, and had a fanboy chat with the guy at the counter about the (at the time) up-coming 'big DVD release' of said Craven movie.

Of course at the time Last House was still cut by 32 seconds (doubled from the proposed 16 seconds, after a passionate appeal for an uncut version by Mark Kermode) ... now though Last House has been re-released FULLY UNCUT (at last), but *sigh* I've already got this DVD now, so...:p

You win some, you lose some.

And anyone who bought Ghey08 has definitely LOST big time. :lol:

bassman
06-Aug-2009, 12:03 PM
And anyone who bought Ghey08 has definitely LOST big time. :lol:

I'm amazed at how many people still come here complaining about buying it. I mean....I easily found and watched it on youtube. Plus there are many other ways of seeing it.

Even though I watched it on youtube, I still somehow feel cheated.:p

darth los
06-Aug-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm amazed at how many people still come here complaining about buying it. I mean....I easily found and watched it on youtube. Plus there are many other ways of seeing it.

Even though I watched it on youtube, I still somehow feel cheated.:p

Because no matter how much we try in life time is the one thing you can't get back.

I can't count the amount of times that I listened to someone tell me a bullshit story and walked away thinking, " Dammitt! I can't ever get that 10 minutes of my life back". :( :mad:

capncnut
06-Aug-2009, 02:57 PM
Yeah, Vipco's DVDs never had any extras of worth, and the picture quality varied massively from one release to the next. Vipco was very attractive with it's lurid advert (with spooky horror voice saying "Vipco Vaults of HORROR!") on TV, just when all these flicks were getting released properly in the UK for the first time in 20 or 30 years ... especially attractive to someone who is new to the world of DVDs, let alone Region 1 DVDs often being better than their Region 2 counterparts.
The barebonedness and tacky galleries/menus with Vipco releases kinda appeal to me for some reason. But yeah, the R1 editions are generally much better than R2.

Speaking of shoddy DVD releases, I got one years ago of "Nightmare in a Damaged Brain" - my god, what a pish DVD that is - I've only watched it twice (once when I got it years ago, and a second time earlier this year) - the picture quality is awful, and has clearly come from some 3rd-or-worst generation VHS dub. The DVD presentation is pretty shoddy too - but what do you expect - it was early in the cycle of the UK finally getting their hands back on these movies, I was a few years younger, I had student loan money, and I was in HMV quite often. :D
That film is a stinker. But you know what? As a kid it was terrifying! I remember when I was very young and had a stay over at my aunt's house and all her children. We sneaked it on and all of us were hiding under the covers shitting ourselves. Especially when that severed head came to life on the bed.

When I bought it on DVD all these years later, I was severely disappointed. And you're correct, the picture quality hasn't changed and looks exactly the same as the ropey VHS tape I watched twenty years earlier.

The release of Maniac is kick ass though ... but sadly it is cut in the UK (again, bought it years ago before I found DVDCompare.net, and before I got so picky - rightly so).
Is it? I do believe mine is uncut.

Of course at the time Last House was still cut by 32 seconds (doubled from the proposed 16 seconds, after a passionate appeal for an uncut version by Mark Kermode) ... now though Last House has been re-released FULLY UNCUT (at last), but *sigh* I've already got this DVD now, so...:p
About time. Not that I'm going to buy it because I'm not really a Craven fan.

I really liked what they did on the gallery though with the old DVD - the censored thirty seconds in frame by frame images so you can flick through it real fast and watch. That was sneaky. :D

krakenslayer
06-Aug-2009, 03:23 PM
The barebonedness and tacky galleries/menus with Vipco releases kinda appeal to me for some reason. But yeah, the R1 editions are generally much better than R2.

You know, I sort of know what you mean. It has a kind of tacky car-boot sale charm, and is kinda fun because it really feels like you're really watching some grubby old sleaze, which has a sort of masochistic charm to it. Mind you, it still seemed a rip off when they were selling em for twenty quid a pop.

MoonSylver
06-Aug-2009, 03:35 PM
There's an excellent article on this very site about COTLD - from the director Tor Ramsey himself - it details all the trials and tribulations and explains exactly why it turned out to be such a steaming pile of monkey butts.

http://www.homepageofthedead.com/baps/cotld_email.html

Yeah, I'm well familiar with that one. Required reading if you've seen that film so that you know where the blame REALLY lies.

EvilNed
06-Aug-2009, 03:43 PM
I can't count the amount of times that I listened to someone tell me a bullshit story and walked away thinking, " Dammitt! I can't ever get that 10 minutes of my life back". :( :mad:

I hate listening to people who like telling stories, but are very bad at it. Because they don't seem to know what parts to leave out and what parts to tell, so in the end you sit there listening for ten minutes, and the only thing you can think about is "Get to the fucking point!".

capncnut
06-Aug-2009, 04:45 PM
You know, I sort of know what you mean. It has a kind of tacky car-boot sale charm, and is kinda fun because it really feels like you're really watching some grubby old sleaze, which has a sort of masochistic charm to it.
Exactly the words I was searching for.

MinionZombie
06-Aug-2009, 06:09 PM
Exactly the words I was searching for.
hehe - aye I feel the same way about those Vipco DVDs - there was a bit of illicit charm, in a way, when buying them - it felt sleazy and new (heck, they were newly being released).

Although if you really want the 'at home grindhouse' feel - it's gotta be a 3rd generation VHS dubbed from one of your mates who got it down the video shop - just like how I saw Chainsaw Massacre the first time.

I borrowed my mate's dub (that he dubbed from the copy he rented) and made my own dub and watched it that way - fudgy picture, fudgy audio - but it felt illicit. Kinda like the times I was borrowing other video nasties from the same dude and dubbing them in secret like ... e.g. Child's Play - I told my folks I was dubbing something different (I was about 13 at the time and they hadn't yet warmed up to me watching horror flicks in general, but I was wearing them down fast :D)

Capn - aye, I've got that DVD of Last House that you speak of, I thought the frame-by-frame of those cut scenes was, firstly hilarious, and secondly kinda cool - they snuck it on there regardless. In fact as Kermode pointed it, it kinda makes those 'objectionable scenes' worse, because you can now view it frame-by-frame, rather than in fleeting seconds on screen in context ... silly buggers at the BBFC sometimes, eh?

Also, the copy of Maniac I've got is this one from Anchor Bay:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maniac-DVD-Joe-Spinell/dp/B000GQMLZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249581980&sr=8-1

Came out around 2002/2003 - one of my earliest DVD purchases. - and this R2 DVD is cut.

R2 United Kingdom- Anchor Bay - Yes - 58 seconds: "Cuts required to reduce length of sexualised strangulation sequence by half and to remove shots of a knife played over and stabbing into female flesh with sexual connotations. Cuts made in accordance with the Video Recordings Act 1984 and BBFC Guidelines and policy on sexualised violence."
(from DVDCompare.net)

Lame, huh?

The New York Ripper got the same deal too - cuts required for sexualised violence - and it's not a bad grot flick either, I quite like it - I bought it on video (Vipco again) around the same time as I got Maniac.

capncnut
06-Aug-2009, 07:23 PM
In a way I'm quite sad Vipco folded. Those guys were really pushing forward the gore flicks back in the day. I think I still have my ye olde VHS of The Slayer somewhere.

krakenslayer
06-Aug-2009, 07:34 PM
In a way I'm quite sad Vipco folded. Those guys were really pushing forward the gore flicks back in the day. I think I still have my ye olde VHS of The Slayer somewhere.

I liked Vipco partly because they planted the idea in my head as a teenager that it might be possible to one day run a low-rent video distribution company myself. After all, if a lazy cad like Michael Lee (owner of Vipco) can do it... :P