PDA

View Full Version : 300 in 3D

Neil
28-Jul-2009, 08:12 AM
As much as I like the film, I sort of feel like I've been there and done it. Even if it has been converted to 3D I don't think it would merit a cinema visit again...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Comic-Con-Zack-Snyder-Has-Seen-300-In-3D-14109.html

MikePizzoff
28-Jul-2009, 08:39 AM
I'd go see it simply because I missed it in theatres the first time around. I'm happy with this resurgence of 3D movies... I just have to stop being so lazy and actually go see one.

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2009, 09:29 AM
Grrrrreeeaaaaat ... now people can go so Gerard Butler's man-sack swing back and forth into their face in 3-D...:rolleyes:

"Kids, kids - come see history raped - IN 3-D!!!" :p

bassman
28-Jul-2009, 12:11 PM
Normally I would pass on something like this....but having just seen Coraline in 3d and being blown away by it, I'll probably check it out.

It was just announced at Comic-Con that James Cameron is also converting Titanic to 3D. I'm one of the few here that like Titanic, but come on...Why not make Terminator or Aliens in 3D???

Tricky
28-Jul-2009, 12:19 PM
Aliens in 3D???

that would be jizz worthy!

DjfunkmasterG
28-Jul-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't really care if 300 is in 3-D. Now the movie I hated because of excessive slo-mo, will have excessive slo-mo in 3-D. Not only that but this over use of 3-D is going to kill the movie industry. Everything now is in 3-D this or 3-D that. Unless it was filmed in 3-D then why convert it?

Leave it the fuck alone.

bassman
28-Jul-2009, 12:38 PM
Unless it was filmed in 3-D then why convert it?

Have you seen any recent 3d films? They're getting pretty good at it. Coraline is AMAZING in 3D. And let's not forget that Cameron's Avatar is set for release at the end of this year. That's supposedly going to be an all new form of 3D...

"It's the way of the future. The way of the future. Way of the future. The way of the future.....show me the blueprints"

Neil
28-Jul-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm amazed by the techonology behind taking traditional 2D films and making them into 3D. eg: Star Wars or even our beloved Dawn of the Dead!

krakenslayer
28-Jul-2009, 02:08 PM
wasn't 300 already released in 3D at some cinemas? Or am I thinking of Beowulf? The two films kind of blend together in my memory.

Danny
28-Jul-2009, 02:20 PM
its amazing how indifferent i am to this news.:bored:

Neil
28-Jul-2009, 03:04 PM
wasn't 300 already released in 3D at some cinemas? Or am I thinking of Beowulf? The two films kind of blend together in my memory.

Nope... You're thinking of Beowulf...

Beowulf of course holds the record for the most expensive filming of some wobbly boobies - There's the scene with them maid's cleaning the table. I'd hate to think of the development and rendering time spend on those puppies...

DjfunkmasterG
28-Jul-2009, 05:15 PM
Have you seen any recent 3d films? They're getting pretty good at it. Coraline is AMAZING in 3D. And let's not forget that Cameron's Avatar is set for release at the end of this year. That's supposedly going to be an all new form of 3D...

"It's the way of the future. The way of the future. Way of the future. The way of the future.....show me the blueprints"

James Cameron set out to make Avatar in 3D. These others films were done with 2D in mind. Don't fuck with them. leave it alone. Including DAWN of the DEAD.

MikePizzoff
28-Jul-2009, 05:19 PM
James Cameron set out to make Avatar in 3D. These others films were done with 2D in mind. Don't fuck with them. leave it alone. Including DAWN of the DEAD.

I've got permission from Monroeville Mall to do a 3D shot-for-shot remake of Dawn, using my camera phone.

Neil
28-Jul-2009, 05:46 PM

But from a technology point of view aren't you amazed how they can take Dawn 1978 and 3D it? How the hell do they do that? Not only does every element of every image need a distance, but you then need to generate parts of the image that are hidden.

ie: If we assume the existing perspective makes up your left eyes image, then the image to be generated for your right eye will need all forground images shifted to the left to some degree and the newly revealed background rendered... Flick between just your left and right eye and you'll see the problem... Background hidden by an object with one perspective will be visable from the other.

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2009, 06:36 PM
I could say (and have said) the exact same about the last few year's worth of pointless remakes (including, you guessed it, Dawn of the Dead).

I'd much rather have a 3-D fad than this seemingly never-ending remake fad.

They can try to pimp 3-D versions to me all they want, as long as it puts an end to them trying to pimp all these motherfucking remakes to me ... ugh!

This all said, I've still not seen any of these new 3-D flicks. Avatar will be a MUST-SEE though, I'll hopefully see it in 3-D at my nearest cineplex (they do show 3-D movies, so they must have the ability).

Interestingly there's a number of these 3-D films not coming out in 3-D on DVD ... what's that about? Like that Monsters VS Aliens (which I wanna see) is just normal 2-D on DVD ... surely they'd be trying to bring that 3-D thing to DVD ... ... unless they have their mindset stuck in the 50s when the cinemas were battling to have something cinema-only to combat television.

krakenslayer
28-Jul-2009, 06:49 PM
Interestingly there's a number of these 3-D films not coming out in 3-D on DVD ... what's that about? Like that Monsters VS Aliens (which I wanna see) is just normal 2-D on DVD ... surely they'd be trying to bring that 3-D thing to DVD ... ... unless they have their mindset stuck in the 50s when the cinemas were battling to have something cinema-only to combat television.

I think it's because it just never looks as impressive on a small screen. To get a strong sense of depth, it helps to have a large canvas (literally) for your eyes to separate out the planes properly, and even on a 50" plasma screen, the effect just isn't nearly as satisfying as on a 70 foot cinema screen. You get the occasional 3D DVD release (e.g. Night of the Living Dead 3D), but it usually falls kinda short.

AcesandEights
28-Jul-2009, 07:06 PM
But from a technology point of view aren't you amazed how they can take Dawn 1978 and 3D it? How the hell do they do that? Not only does every element of every image need a distance, but you then need to generate parts of the image that are hidden.

Glad to see I'm not the only one truly boggled by the processes behind this. And, if Dawn 3D does make it out, regardless of what the community may say about it, you'd better believe I'll find a way to see it in all it's 3D-ee-nish :)

DjfunkmasterG
28-Jul-2009, 11:15 PM
I am all form Technology advances, but leave the frigging 2D flicks alone. Seriously. Shoot the new stuff 3D, but leave the old as is, nothing in the original DAWN really screams 3D worthiness. No offense, I love the film, but what are they going to do? CGI some brain matter flying out of a zombie head? If they do that then they have literally fucked with a classic to make it more modern. SCREW THAT.

Fuck appeasing to the newer generation. They need to learn about these classic films, and see them in their original state.

bassman
28-Jul-2009, 11:31 PM
Everyone seems to think that 3D means something will jump "out" of the screen and come at you. This does happen occasionally, but from my experience the coolest thing about 3D is that it makes everything in the screen have depth and distance. It looks like you're looking into someone's window rather than a flat screen TV.

And if youre looking for those "pop out" scares...there are plenty in Dawn if you think about it. The elevator, the guns pointing at the screen, the head shots that pop toward the screen, etc.

Do yourself a favor and check out Coraline. It's a good movie and the 3D is outstanding. Just make sure you're watching it in a dark room with the tv being the only light source.

Neil
29-Jul-2009, 08:23 AM
I am all form Technology advances, but leave the frigging 2D flicks alone. Seriously. Shoot the new stuff 3D, but leave the old as is, nothing in the original DAWN really screams 3D worthiness. No offense, I love the film, but what are they going to do? CGI some brain matter flying out of a zombie head? If they do that then they have literally fucked with a classic to make it more modern. SCREW THAT.

Fuck appeasing to the newer generation. They need to learn about these classic films, and see them in their original state.

It's not about adding new material... It's about augmenting the existing material. ie: Elememts in every frame are re-rendered to another alternative perspective depending on their distance. These two alternative perspectives are then your left and right eye views.

I for one would be very interested in seeing Dawn of the Dead in 3D, as long as the process was effective...

MinionZombie
29-Jul-2009, 09:40 AM
I think it's because it just never looks as impressive on a small screen. To get a strong sense of depth, it helps to have a large canvas (literally) for your eyes to separate out the planes properly, and even on a 50" plasma screen, the effect just isn't nearly as satisfying as on a 70 foot cinema screen. You get the occasional 3D DVD release (e.g. Night of the Living Dead 3D), but it usually falls kinda short.
That seems a bit duffterish really, they need to figure out how to make it work on DVD, and they'll boost their sales.

Plus it is "teh suxorz" that ticket prices for 3D are way higher than normal viewing. Mark Kermode had a rant all about that particular issue, and I have to agree with him.

And I could say the exact same thing to "them" about all these sodding remakes of already good movies - remake something crap already!

krakenslayer
29-Jul-2009, 09:52 AM

3D movies have moved on since the 1950s though - it's not all about bats flapping around and balls flying into your face. Today, 3D can be done with subtlety and realism. Plus, we already have about four or five different versions of the original Dawn anyway, with different music and editing and atmosphere, and no one complains about that - in fact, it gives us some extra variety and makes being a Dawn fan more interesting.

DjfunkmasterG
29-Jul-2009, 10:16 AM
It's not about adding new material... It's about augmenting the existing material. ie: Elememts in every frame are re-rendered to another alternative perspective depending on their distance. These two alternative perspectives are then your left and right eye views.

I for one would be very interested in seeing Dawn of the Dead in 3D, as long as the process was effective...

I know 3D isn't about adding new material, but something tells me that they would stopp that low to add that in to enhance the 3D

Neil
29-Jul-2009, 02:19 PM
I know 3D isn't about adding new material, but something tells me that they would stopp that low to add that in to enhance the 3D

Ahhhhh! And go all Lucas? Arrrrrgh!

bassman
29-Jul-2009, 10:02 PM
The good thing about the Dawn 3D project is that they're keeping Romero somewhat in the loop and he gives it his stamp of approval. Seems like Rueben$tein would be the kind of person to cut Romero out of the process...

krakenslayer
29-Jul-2009, 10:26 PM
The good thing about the Dawn 3D project is that they're keeping Romero somewhat in the loop and he gives it his stamp of approval. Seems like Rueben$tein would be the kind of person to cut Romero out of the process...

Ruben$tein hehe :D

Anyway yeah, it could be worse, Dawn could be in the hands of that Dundelson chump that owns Taurus and controls the rights to Day and Creepshow (and Knightriders, although thankfully he hasn't raped that one yet). Can you imagine that - he'd probably re-edit the movie so that when Fran and Peter fly off they're actually going to attack an alien mothership on strings that has secretly been controlling the zombies all along, and also add a newly shot scene in which Peter (played by a white stand-in actor holding a cape over his face) fights rubber aliens in a control room with blinking lights, spinning computer tape wheels and a fern in the corner.

MaximusIncredulous
29-Jul-2009, 10:49 PM
I dunno, 3D was always a cheap, William Castle style of gimmick to get people to shell out money for lame, turd movies. Now they take classic 2D films of yesterday and hack them into 3D because the "writers" of today can't write worth a damn.

BTW anyone here old enough to remember 3D flicks of the early eighties with turkeys like "Comin' At Ya"?

Neil
30-Jul-2009, 08:17 AM
I dunno, 3D was always a cheap, William Castle style of gimmick to get people to shell out money for lame, turd movies. Now they take classic 2D films of yesterday and hack them into 3D because the "writers" of today can't write worth a damn.

BTW anyone here old enough to remember 3D flicks of the early eighties with turkeys like "Comin' At Ya"?

I think 3D, when done well, certainly adds to a flick. It's surely just another tool to take you further into the screen and forget it's just a movie you're watching...