PDA

View Full Version : Step Brothers - a DjfunkmasterG review

DjfunkmasterG
28-Jul-2009, 10:10 AM
SPOLIERS

After sitting out the day from work not feeling well I was looking for something to watch and low and behold on Starz HD on DEMAND was Step Brothers. With nothing else to watch I was slightly curious, but really never had any intention of renting I figured I would just catch it when I caught it... I was kind of miffed I waited so long.

While I don't think Will Ferrell is that great, I do find him slightly amusing from time to time, to be honest the only film I ever liked him in was Old School. However, on this occassion here was a moment where I enjoyed Will's comedy. For those who haven't seen it the basic premise is, two guys in their 40's still living at home have parents who meet at a doctors convention. They fall in love get hitched and now the two boys have to live together.

Now like any Step Family there is animosity between the two until they find something in common. They both hate Will Ferrell's characters younger brother Derek. After a dinner gone awry they find they have a lot in common and end up like a couple of 12 year old who are best friends.

Now the movie is at its funniest when they have their first major fight, this is when Dale (John C. Reilly) accuses Brennan (Will Ferrell) of touching his drum set. Hilarity ensues when Brennan gets so pissed off at Dale over the drum set he decides to go run up stairs and T-Bag it. In the midst os the T-bag assault Dale tackles Brennen and they go into a wild outlandish child like fight that lasts quite a bit until their respective parents have to break it up.

The basic comedy formula that is Step Brothers is just that... basic. No new ground is broken, but hilarity and vulgarity go hand in hand in this romp. I walked into it with low expectations and came out still laughing, even as I type out this quasi review.

Do I recommed you check out Step Brothers? yes, if you're bored and need a good laugh, you should walk away with many memorable moments. John and WIll work together well in these 12 year old battle for the playground type flicks.

bassman
28-Jul-2009, 12:06 PM
Overall the movie was "meh" for me. This video within the film had me curling up with laughter, though...

o8T095mFdW8&hl=en&fs=1&

DjfunkmasterG
28-Jul-2009, 12:27 PM
That was another funny bit, but nowhere near as funny to me as Will rubbin' his balls all over the drum set.

After my jaw hit the floor that they went that far I was ROFLMAO.

Danny
28-Jul-2009, 01:25 PM
i love this movie, it one of my favorite comedies of the last 12 months, though im in the minority who still finds will ferrel funny but the other guy just has way better comic timing and was fantastic in walk hard. still waiting for the blu-ray to go below a tenner though, cheap sumbitch that i am.

Kaos
28-Jul-2009, 01:44 PM
I agree, Gary. I went in with low expectations and came away amused. I just suppose I was in the mood to be amused.

bassman
28-Jul-2009, 02:11 PM
Hellsing...."The other guy"?!?:eek:

It's John C. Reilly, man. Show some respect. Will Ferrell doesn't deserve to be standing next to Reilly, imo....

Danny
28-Jul-2009, 02:18 PM
Hellsing...."The other guy"?!?:eek:

It's John C. Reilly, man. Show some respect. Will Ferrell doesn't deserve to be standing next to Reilly, imo....

true, but i can never remember him as anything other than dr. steve bruhle

dbA-pUtz2dg

for your health

MikePizzoff
28-Jul-2009, 05:27 PM
2 nights ago I saw this movie for the first time. I did laugh a bunch but it was definitely not a movie I'd ever voluntarily watch again. The Boats & Ho's part had me dying, as well.

John C Reilly has great comedic prowess; ever since I saw his role in Boogie Nights, I wished he would do more comedy. Hells, he is amazing on Tim & Eric.

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2009, 06:58 PM
I saw this flick in the cinema last year with some of the lads, and we had an absolute laugh - the elongated fart along had us gasping with laughter well into the next scene - Ferrell rubbing his man-sack on the drums was another highlight.

The whole movie was pretty damn hilarious - although it does tail off in the comedy stakes in the latter portion - I saw the extended version a while ago, and it's even funnier. JCR fucking that crazy chick at the Xmas dinner was fantastic. :D

DjfunkmasterG
28-Jul-2009, 11:10 PM
2 nights ago I saw this movie for the first time. I did laugh a bunch but it was definitely not a movie I'd ever voluntarily watch again. The Boats & Ho's part had me dying, as well.

John C Reilly has great comedic prowess; ever since I saw his role in Boogie Nights, I wished he would do more comedy. Hells, he is amazing on Tim & Eric.

Some of John's best work includes...

Boogie Nights
Sydney aka Hard Eight
Day of Thunder (although a bit part, when he tells the story about his dads crash it feels genuine)

Danny
28-Jul-2009, 11:20 PM
i was surprised to see him in that richard gere flick cicago when it was on the other day, hes done a fair bit of big name serious movies, but its a shame because he needs more comedy movies of his own rather than being a backup guy when weve seen he can do better.

MikePizzoff
29-Jul-2009, 03:56 AM
its a shame because he needs more comedy movies of his own rather than being a backup guy when weve seen he can do better.

I agree, 100%. It's cool that while he continues to do serious roles, he's been delving into more fun/goofy roles. Hopefully he carries on down that path.

ProfessorChaos
29-Jul-2009, 04:13 AM
i've not seen this yet, but a guy at work said something to effect of "your wife, oprah, barbra walters: you've gotta fuck one, marry one, kill one...GO!" which was the most random thing i'd heard in months. he says that it came from this movie, and proceeded to tell me about the drum set bit. sounds good. will look for it next rainy day.

and john reilly is the man. the john c reilly files on the boogie nights dvd is awesome.

efKU5ZRlYH4
the bit where he's trying to time the dude's route is fucking hilarious. "i'm getting fucking worried....":lol::lol:wish they'd thrown that in the move. (they really should just release a cut of boogie nights with all the deleted scenes and whatnot, kinda like the apocalypse now redux)

XrgASyV72A8
loves that 80's get-up and those slick moves...:lol:

Yojimbo
29-Jul-2009, 10:21 PM
I too was very much surprised by "Stepbrothers" since I found it watchable and even funny at moments.

The other Will Ferrell movie I could tolerate was "Stranger Than Fiction" which was not all that bad.

Reilly's film, "Walk Hard" was pretty entertaining too - nothing I would add to the permanent collection, but ok to waste time with when you are bored with showmercials.

Danny
01-Aug-2009, 01:36 AM
im watching the thing and something occurs to me, reilly would be spot on as blair ,the doctor, in the remake thats in production.

clanglee
01-Aug-2009, 03:07 AM
I don't really get all the Will Farrell hate. I find the guy hilarious as all fuck. J.C.R. is awesome as well. They work well together. Talladega Nights is just good stuff all through. *shrug* to each his own I guess.

Danny
01-Aug-2009, 08:19 AM
I don't really get all the Will Farrell hate. I find the guy hilarious as all fuck. J.C.R. is awesome as well. They work well together. Talladega Nights is just good stuff all through. *shrug* to each his own I guess.

will ferrel is a hoot with great timeing, i lvoe his little improvs like "ODINS BEARD!" in anchourman. i just think the public was oversaturated with his movies, just like adam sandler and people got sick of him regardless of his comeic talent.

same things happening with megan fox and her beavis chin when you think about it.:lol: