PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War Movie Preview

darth los
28-Jul-2009, 05:41 PM
http://g4tv.com/videos/40292/Gears-of-War-Movie-Preview/

:cool:

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2009, 06:56 PM
Oh man ... it's being directed by Len Wiseman? ... ... ... ugh ...

I only liked Underworld, fun but stupid ... then the second movie was absolutely dreadful, incredibly boring, and sickening to watch (because it was so relentless blue-coloured, and that got right on my tits).

Then Die Hard 4 was alright, but it's like Die Hard Lite ... all the balls cut right off it.

Just imagine if David Fincher was to direct a GOW movie - afterall, he did direct the advert for the original game.

I tell you something else - if the GOW movie comes out as PG-13, I'm gonna be pissed. I want Marcus Fenix hopping on top a downed enemy and beating the bastard's head into a bloody pulp of nothing. I want chainsaws tearing through Locusts and the blood drowning the camera - all that.

In fact, I think it would be impossible to make a good, faithful GOW movie without it being R rated (and then with the inevitable "uncut" dvd ... which is such a cliche now that I just wish they'd release the full version in cinemas).

Skippy911sc
28-Jul-2009, 07:20 PM
I always think of Starship Troopers when thinking about a theatrical version of GOW. I know...I know...not a GREAT movie, but it really SHOCKED me when I saw it in the theaters. At that time seeing a giant bug grab a guy and bite him in half...wicked!!!

darth los
28-Jul-2009, 07:56 PM
Oh man ... it's being directed by Len Wiseman? ... ... ... ugh ...

I only liked Underworld, fun but stupid ... then the second movie was absolutely dreadful, incredibly boring, and sickening to watch (because it was so relentless blue-coloured, and that got right on my tits).

Then Die Hard 4 was alright, but it's like Die Hard Lite ... all the balls cut right off it.

Just imagine if David Fincher was to direct a GOW movie - afterall, he did direct the advert for the original game.

I tell you something else - if the GOW movie comes out as PG-13, I'm gonna be pissed. I want Marcus Fenix hopping on top a downed enemy and beating the bastard's head into a bloody pulp of nothing. I want chainsaws tearing through Locusts and the blood drowning the camera - all that.

In fact, I think it would be impossible to make a good, faithful GOW movie without it being R rated (and then with the inevitable "uncut" dvd ... which is such a cliche now that I just wish they'd release the full version in cinemas).

I was just going to say, prepared to be pissed MZ. That's the trend nowdays. Cut movies up so that they can get a PG rating and thus reap maximum profit at the cinema and then release the director's cut (r rated) on dvd.

Yeah I know, it sucks. :(

Danny
28-Jul-2009, 08:24 PM
Im actually excited about this, though im the rare 360 owner who doesnt prefer halo over gears. Im guessing that we will probably see mickey rourke, ron pearlman and Michael clark duncan or dwayne johnson to be showing up in this. purely because they kind of look like fridges with man heads on top.
From the script ive read its a decent enough back story but im honestly more excited by the end of gears 2, which i loved and that cryptic message after the credits-

H-sHL4tUx88

3pidemiC
28-Jul-2009, 08:36 PM
Doom Part II

MinionZombie
29-Jul-2009, 09:45 AM
Im actually excited about this, though im the rare 360 owner who doesnt prefer halo over gears. Im guessing that we will probably see mickey rourke, ron pearlman and Michael clark duncan or dwayne johnson to be showing up in this. purely because they kind of look like fridges with man heads on top.
From the script ive read its a decent enough back story but im honestly more excited by the end of gears 2, which i loved and that cryptic message after the credits-

H-sHL4tUx88
Damn skippy - after playing the ABSOLUTELY AWESOME GOW2 (much preferred it to GOW1 to be honest, although I rather liked that game too), and getting that little tidbit at the end, I was all the hell up for GOW3.

And, same as you, I much prefer Gears over Halo ... but one is 3rd person, and one is 1st person, so it's not entirely fair to compare them. The whole "fuss" about Halo was it was supposed to be "the first good console shooter, one to put the PC market's nose out of joint" ... then a bunch of people jizzed in their pants, but to be honest it's still not a full-on FPS beater when set aside the PC market ... hell, there are far better FPS experiences on consoles than Halo anyway.

I've had my fun with Halo, but I've never been drooling at the mouth or gawping in awe at it - unlike with GOW2 where I was just slack-jawed throughout.

capncnut
30-Jul-2009, 05:46 AM
Oh man ... it's being directed by Len Wiseman? ... ... ... ugh...
Yeah, just give me AIDS right now.

SymphonicX
30-Jul-2009, 08:44 AM
I love the way those idiots after the interview sat there speculating on the potential of Prince of Persia and GOW movies saying shit like "it could be this, or it could be that" well, thanks for the insight...it could be good, or it could be bad! I see why you're being paid to present these things!!!

Christ. Typical airheaded "journalism".

As for their comments that there's never been a good game adaptation - hello!! SILENT HILL!!!!! Awesome film and close to the game, very dark....nicely done.....

MinionZombie
30-Jul-2009, 09:01 AM
Capn - :lol::lol::lol:

Symph - indeed, I thought Silent Hill was pretty good, and the best adap of a game out there I'd say. I've never played any Silent Hill games though - hellsing would be able to tell us how good an adap it is - but I thought it was a pretty good movie.

However, it did drag on a smidge too long, and it needed a little bit more in the second act than that woman just exploring various rooms ... essentially.

Yeah - surprise surprise - GOW or PoP movies "could be good, could be bad" ... my shit could tell you that free of charge! :p

Danny
30-Jul-2009, 01:05 PM
silent hill was a piece of shit.

1:changed the gender of the character because a single father looking for his daughter might have ben considered pedophilia IM NOT JOKING.

2:added the irrelevant sean bean character, what a waste of a good actor, why not just make him harry looking for cheryl and get it over with.

3:There are very few ,if any, people alive by the time harry made it to silent hill, only dahlia and kaufman spring to mind.

4:sybil turned against harry, not this dramatic burnt at the stake crap, she was possesed and had this big set piece fight on a swirling carousel in which you could kill or try to save your only ally in the whole hellish situation.

5:the red pyramid head, nothing to do with the character or the story, even this retarded reworking and was there for fan service and nothing else.

6:a key character is only sen from behind for one scene in this movie, instead we get a bunch of hobos in a church that are never really properly explained other than a shitty dues ex type "its magic!" bullshit.

7:ends, as ive said before, like the writer WHO HAD NEVER HEARD OF SILENT HILL BEFORE HE GOT THE GIG!- sat down, smoked a south african drugs reefer style spliff doobie and watched hellraiser and thought all that shit would be rad in a movie.

8:alters the location and story of the town, basically they looked up ghost towns on wikipedia and thought centralia looked good. So what should be a sleepy town on the edge of a lake enveloped in a perpetual fog, we get some "they mostly come at night, mostly" schtik that i swear i read in a goosebumps novel when i was 6.

i really could fanboy rant about this for days but they did some excellent set design and the monsters looked awesome, but its a bastardized plot with a castrated ending and its a shame because as any person whos played the games knows, theres a rich and deep story surrounding the town through the 6 games and it could have been so much better.
-and now i hear they think the story to 2 is too shit and depressing so now there trying to write a sequel to the first that basically says sh3 didnt happen..... great.

bassman
30-Jul-2009, 01:28 PM
Never played GOW, thought the Underworld films were okay, and loved Die Hard 4. So I guess I'm the only one here that's open to this film?:p

MinionZombie
30-Jul-2009, 04:50 PM
Never played GOW, thought the Underworld films were okay, and loved Die Hard 4. So I guess I'm the only one here that's open to this film?:p
Never played GOW?! But that means you missed out on a bucket of awesome ... and it also means you haven't played the superior and super-awesome sequel GOW2!!! :eek:

E-gads, man!

Danny
30-Jul-2009, 05:58 PM
Never played GOW?! But that means you missed out on a bucket of awesome ... and it also means you haven't played the superior and super-awesome sequel GOW2!!! :eek:

E-gads, man!

i concur, gears is like the closest you can get to a sci-fi action movie in game form.

darth los
30-Jul-2009, 07:16 PM
I love the way those idiots after the interview sat there speculating on the potential of Prince of Persia and GOW movies saying shit like "it could be this, or it could be that" well, thanks for the insight...it could be good, or it could be bad! I see why you're being paid to present these things!!!

Christ. Typical airheaded "journalism".

As for their comments that there's never been a good game adaptation - hello!! SILENT HILL!!!!! Awesome film and close to the game, very dark....nicely done.....

Well you said it right there. it's funny because walter cronkite also called the "newspeople" of today "Presenters"....OUCH!!

The news being broadcast today is either a bunch of fluff, or, there's such a left/right slant or agenda behind it. it's all garbage.

bassman
31-Jul-2009, 11:50 AM

E-gads, man!

I got my 360 after the first GOW was already released, so I never really bothered with it. It looks okay and everyone says it's great, but it's never looked good enough to convince me to buy it. And it seems like i've played it a billion times already......it was just called something else...

darth los
31-Jul-2009, 12:55 PM
I got my 360 after the first GOW was already released, so I never really bothered with it. It looks okay and everyone says it's great, but it's never looked good enough to convince me to buy it. And it seems like i've played it a billion times already......it was just called something else...

You really owe it to yourself to give them a play through. They're waaaaaay better than halo. (If you've ever played that). As was stated earlier, it just FEELS like a sci-fi action film.

MinionZombie
31-Jul-2009, 06:55 PM
You really owe it to yourself to give them a play through. They're waaaaaay better than halo. (If you've ever played that). As was stated earlier, it just FEELS like a sci-fi action film.

And if you insist on only played one GOW game out of the two, play GOW2 ... cos it's "teh awesomest". :cool:

bassman
31-Jul-2009, 07:32 PM
And if you insist on only played one GOW game out of the two, play GOW2 ... cos it's "teh awesomest". :cool:

Naw...if I do it I'll do it right and play them in order. Guess I could find the original for next-to-nothing now, huh? I'll have to check for it in the pre-played sections.

MinionZombie
01-Aug-2009, 10:02 AM
Naw...if I do it I'll do it right and play them in order. Guess I could find the original for next-to-nothing now, huh? I'll have to check for it in the pre-played sections.
You should be able to find it for cheaps-as-chips, sir.

The second one should be fairly cheap pre-owned these days too.

bassman
06-Aug-2009, 04:19 PM

So I bought the first GOW and I'm roughly an hour in. As I was afraid....it's just a generic FPS. Nothing seems all that amazing about it at the moment. I prefer Halo, but maybe GOW will grow on me as I progress...

AcesandEights
06-Aug-2009, 04:31 PM
So I bought the first GOW and I'm roughly an hour in. As I was afraid....it's just a generic FPS. Nothing seems all that amazing about it at the moment. I prefer Halo, but maybe GOW will grow on me as I progress...

My problem with the game was that the firefights and direction of the game had a very hamspter-wheel feel to them. Not sure how to explain it, except that aside from the cover and fire aspects of the game, the gameplay was...'meh'. I, howerver, seem to be in the minority with this opinion.

Oh, sure, I'm currently enjoying the gears 2 campaign and having fun with the live 'horde' mode, but I don't seem to enjoy it, as much as my friends. Larger, free-roaming maps would have made the game more enjoyable, for me...and minor minions that didn't take a bajillion bullets to put them down.

Danny
06-Aug-2009, 04:35 PM
it might just not be for you, but it does get better, like one chapter where you have to stay in the light, now thats a fun level. But the second is far better id just play through the first first to get the story and get the whole gameplay experience.

AcesandEights
06-Aug-2009, 04:39 PM
it might just not be for you, but it does get better, like one chapter where you have to stay in the light, now thats a fun level.

Granted, that is a very cool level.

MinionZombie
06-Aug-2009, 06:13 PM
it might just not be for you, but it does get better, like one chapter where you have to stay in the light, now thats a fun level. But the second is far better id just play through the first first to get the story and get the whole gameplay experience.
What my nerdalicious friend just said - Gears 2 kicks Gears 1's ass up and down the street. I too had heard a lot about GOW when I eventually got it (a couple of years ago now, probably about 6 months after release or thereabouts), and I wasn't overwhelmed by it, but I liked it.

Also - it's not an FPS, it's a 3rd Persion Shooter ... or 3PS. :p

Gears 2 however, I got that for Xmas last year and it just pwned the first game and I really enjoyed it. All the things I found annoying or underwhelming about the first (which I still got a lot of fun out of) were all improved on or removed or fixed or boosted or whatever, so yeah, Gears 2 rocked my cock alright. :cool:

Bring on Gears 3.